4K BMPC - strange bar on top of the screen

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

matloh

4K BMPC - strange bar on top of the screen

PostMon Mar 03, 2014 12:53 pm

hi - today i became a proud owner of the 4k camera - but i have strange bar on top of my screen - what shall i do with it? do i have to send it back to the factory or wait for camera fw update? any 4k user with same problems?

link to photo of the screen - sorry for poor photo quality...
https://copy.com/WnxGLJxq6Jhx

matloh

Re: 4K BMPC - strange bar on top of the screen

PostMon Mar 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Scott Pultz

PostMon Mar 03, 2014 6:27 pm

I would contact BlackMagic and if you don't hear anything send it back for a replacement. Haven't seen anything like that before.

varnaipet

PostMon Mar 03, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm just unboxing mine, and I have something similar on the bottom. Plus weird "sensor stripes".
I hit the record button and yess.... they are on the recording... sensor error or firmware error I guess. oooh yeah.

matloh

PostMon Mar 03, 2014 9:19 pm

sonar stripe = exactly - first i thought that's a place for audio meters... i think it's sensor error - after upgrade it's still there and on sdi too

varnaipet

PostMon Mar 03, 2014 10:50 pm

Those were my exact first thoughts on the gray bar too :D "Probably audio meters"
I tried the upgrade too but nothing happened as you have written. I have sent the support a sample recording about the issue, and we'll se what they write me tomorrow. I'm afraid it will be a quite expensive postage shipping round for me (even if slow) :S But will report back later.

matloh

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 8:37 pm

ok - got mine back from RMA - no strange bar BUT 2 DEAD PIXELS ON THE SCREEN -HEH - at least not on captured footage! - so this time it's screens fault - now i'm wondering, should i post it back on second RMA and GAMMBLE to get another faulty camera or stick to 2 dead pixels on the internal screen and use external sdi evf and deal with quality problems from blackmagic ( but it would be kinda stupid to accept the fact thst you buy already faulty gear heh) - i'm thinking of using camera for a month, since i was waiting for it for 2,5 year, and then sending it back for RMA - maybe there will be less people waiting in queue... what do You think?
Last edited by matloh on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 2:51 am

Matzoh, if that is the only problem and recordings otherwise look great, as you say, it's not too serious. Disappointing, but all things in perspective if you can shoot great images with it!

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Andrew Deme

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 9:52 am

rick.lang wrote:Matzoh, if that is the only problem and recordings otherwise look great, as you say, it's not too serious. Disappointing, but all things in perspective if you can shoot great images with it!

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

I will never understand these sorts of posts.

Yep, just like buying a new car with scratched paint, drives beautifully.

Soeren Mueller

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 11:17 am

Andrew Deme wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Matzoh, if that is the only problem and recordings otherwise look great, as you say, it's not too serious. Disappointing, but all things in perspective if you can shoot great images with it!

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

Well Rick was referring to the two dead/stuck pixels on the display. O course it kinda sucks, but fact is that almost all manufacturers have (for the common "consumer grade" at least) a certain percentage of pixels on LCD/TFTs that can be dead/stuck without warranting an RMA/return. Happens with computer screens as well, dunno about the states but over here some resellers offer (for an added premium charge) a service of testing the display firsthand and guaranteeing you a flawless screen. But as I mentioned that doesn't come for free.

Nobody is saying to not return the camera if it would have any kind of recording defects or too severe display problems.
My BMCC has zero dead/stuck pixels, on the display and the recording side of things. My BMPCC is absolutely fine recording wise but has one hot pixel in the middle of the display, as I'm using an external screen/EVF most of the time anyway and it doesn't really limit the use of the camera (for me) in any way I chose to be fine with it.
My BMPC4K is fine display wise, but has 4 or 5 hot pixels when recording. Thats 5 out of 8,294,400 pixels or 0.00006% ... no biggie for me, of course I'm still hoping for a better/working internal remapping in-firmware that at least maps it out on the fly...

In comparison.. I just got a SmallHD DP4 a few months ago and it has one hot pixel in the middle of the screen as well, while SmallHDs customer service is very quick and helpful all of the time, they won't RMA a screen with only one hot pixel either.

Dillon McEvoy

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 3:31 pm

Andrew Deme wrote:

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

But isn't the 600hp it comes with enough to make you keep it? :)

Andrew Deme

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 9:25 am

Dillon wrote:
Andrew Deme wrote:

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

But isn't the 600hp it comes with enough to make you keep it? :)

Do the wipers work....?

matloh

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 10:27 am

well -- i like my car to be scratched my way :) appart from that - on sdi capture in 4k mode on decklink extreme i get strange random white pixels every couple of frames... maybe the fw issue?

Return to Cinematography