What BRAW Quality should I shoot my Senior Capstone in?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: What BRAW Quality should I shoot my Senior Capstone in?

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 5:18 pm

Great information, thanks.
Rick Lang

Alexrocks1253

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 6:13 pm

Uli Plank wrote:This young guy explains it pretty well (technically, grain is just like snow or confetti):

This video was the reason I started caring about bitrate when shooting HEVC or H264
What will you create today?

Alexrocks1253

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 6:15 pm

Due to the grain compression, the masters of my film will probably be ProRes 422 or maybe HQ. Any major difference between standard 422 and HQ other than the data rate? Would the audience see a difference? I'm showing the files directly.
What will you create today?

Alex Mitchell

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 7:33 pm

Alexrocks1253 wrote:Due to the grain compression, the masters of my film will probably be ProRes 422 or maybe HQ. Any major difference between standard 422 and HQ other than the data rate? Would the audience see a difference? I'm showing the files directly.

The differences between HQ, 422, LT, and Proxy are just the data rates yes. Once you start getting in to 4444 you start dealing with alpha channels and higher chroma sampling.

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 9:01 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:Grain is (semi) random, and that means it cannot be compressed which means that too much grain destroys a compressed video.

Personally, I do not understand this urge to add grain "so it looks like film". It's as silly as making an audio recording and adding scratches so "it sounds like a vinyl record".

The only time I would want to add some light grain is if the source is too "cartoonish" so adding grain can add some perceived resolution.

Grain when applied judiciously also enhances the apparent sharpness of the image. Motion pictures do tend to feel more natural with a bit of grain than without, but it's easy to overdo it if you're not careful.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

robedge

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 9:30 pm

John Paines wrote:
...everybody recoils instantly at distorted, low res and/or badly recorded sound.

So much for sound designers and some of the most influential musicians of the last several decades :)

Maybe starrt here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo-fi_music
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 9:38 pm

Alexrocks1253 wrote:Any major difference between standard 422 and HQ other than the data rate? Would the audience see a difference? I'm showing the files directly.

If shown directly, and you want grain, I'd go for 422 HQ. After all, you started this thread since you wanted to get the best quality out of your camera. A master in 422 HQ is also a good starting point for other compressions (but the grain issue remains for H.264/265).
Only if your film has a chance to become a DCP one day, I'd consider ProRes 4444, but those files are huge. Or you could encode for DCP right away.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Cary Knoop

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 1:40 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:Grain when applied judiciously also enhances the apparent sharpness of the image.

I agree and this apparent sharpness is miles better than directly sharpening a video. Directly sharpening a video destroys resolution and makes it unnatural and even distractive.

Uli Plank

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 1:54 am

Well, it depends. Direct sharpening in the camera is awful, but mild sharpening in post can be useful.

The look of grain, OTOH, depends a lot on the compression. Massive DCT compression will make grain blocky, while mild wavelet (like in JPEG 2000) will make it only a tad softer. That's why it can look good in cinemas.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G
Previous

Return to Cinematography