Blackmagic to Sony Picture Match

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JamieHarris638

Blackmagic to Sony Picture Match

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 3:04 am

Hey guys,

still fairly early in my videography days so apologies is this is an obvious question.

I'm shooting a Wedding with an agency as a second shooter, the Lead shooter is shooting on a Sony and is fairly intent on using PP10 instead of SLOG. Obviously we can only shoot in RAW on Blackmagic's, so I was wondering how to match my picture settings to the lead? Is there a LUT I can download that I can use to export through Davinci afterwards? Usually when I've been shooting solo I just fill colour space on Davnici and make slight adjustments, but not sure that would match up with PP10. Any help would be massively appreciated :) many thanks!

SalopFilms

Re: Blackmagic to Sony Picture Match

PostSun Mar 03, 2024 10:37 am

Ask him to send you a minute or two of something shot on his Sony using PP10, then use that in Resolve to create a LUT if you wish.

Jim Simon

PostSun Mar 03, 2024 4:47 pm

My choice would be to shoot BRAW in Film mode, and let the Editor/Colorist worry about matching.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Bob Moore

PostSun Mar 03, 2024 5:14 pm

Log on the Sony BRAW for you ... use cinematch to get close

Otherwise run .....

Bob Moore

PostSun Mar 03, 2024 5:28 pm

Another possibility is Log/BRAW and use ACES in post.

Honestly the question should be how close can the Sony be matched to BM Film ...
PP10 is not a profile which will give the best skin tones or gradients.

As Jim mentioned ... matching should be up to the agency.

Or rent a Sony for the wedding and just make sure you both have the same
white balance.

rick.lang

PostSun Mar 03, 2024 9:23 pm

Whoever is in charge of the overall shoot should call the shots. It’s not clear who that is. If the agency is in charge and insists on shooting what it always shoots, and that includes post processing, then do what the agency suggests. Since you can’t shoot PP10 on your camera, one option would be the best quality ProRes, 422 HQ at a minimum, that the agency will accept. The bride can tell you who is in charge if you’re not sure.
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 04, 2024 12:23 am

And then, any picture profile in a Sony can be changed by the user at will. How can you be sure it's original?
If not touched, it should be HLG and Rec 2020. But I think to be sure you'll need to contact the operator.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

ShaheedMalik

PostMon Mar 04, 2024 1:33 am

Cinematch or the soon to be released FilmaticAI.

RubenS89

PostMon Mar 04, 2024 9:17 am

What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to create the same look on set on the monitors? Or are you trying to create the same look in post? In post would be rather simple using a color managed workflow I guess.

On set it's maybe a bit more tricky. What exactly is PP10 on a Sony (so which gamma and color space)?

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 04, 2024 9:54 am

RubenS89 wrote:What exactly is PP10 on a Sony (so which gamma and color space)?

See my post above, Ruben.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

RubenS89

PostMon Mar 04, 2024 2:13 pm

Uli Plank wrote:
RubenS89 wrote:What exactly is PP10 on a Sony (so which gamma and color space)?

See my post above, Ruben.

Ah sorry, missed that. Well I'm sure Sony has a LUT to convert from that to REC709. Same goes for Blackmagic. So shouldn't be too hard to get in a similar ballpark.

Brad Hurley

PostMon Mar 04, 2024 2:44 pm

RubenS89 wrote:Ah sorry, missed that. Well I'm sure Sony has a LUT to convert from that to REC709. .

I don't think so. As Uli pointed out, the user can customize any of these picture profiles as they wish. There are preassigned picture profiles from the factory, but you can tweak any of them to your liking. PP10 on my Sony may be nothing like PP10 on someone else's Sony.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 04, 2024 3:03 pm

Well, I just wanted to point to that possibility.
Most users don't go deep enough into the menus (and manuals) to change the default settings.

4EvrYng

• Warnings: 1

PostThu Mar 07, 2024 2:14 am

JamieHarris638 wrote:I'm shooting a Wedding with an agency as a second shooter, the Lead shooter is shooting on a Sony and is fairly intent on using PP10 instead of SLOG. Obviously we can only shoot in RAW on Blackmagic's, so I was wondering how to match my picture settings to the lead? Is there a LUT I can download that I can use to export through Davinci afterwards?

PP10 default is Rec2020 HLG2 (one of Sony's variations of HLG). People that prefer shooting with PP10 are, from what I have seen, usually ones that looked for alternative to Slog due to issues on 8-bit Sony models. Same group also often preferred changing PP10 to use HLG or HLG3. So, like Uli warned you, you will need to check which one of HLG curves your primary shooter uses.

If (s)he uses standard HLG curve then I guess you should be able to do CST within Resolve. If (s)he uses one of Sony's variations CineMatch offers conversion. Also, Asim Siddiqui (aka @RikshaDriver on this forum) offers tools and LUTs for dealing with those variations on his XtremeStuff.net site. While you are there you should check out his blog articles on dealing with Sony's HLG, highly recommended.

RubenS89

PostFri Mar 08, 2024 9:21 am

Brad Hurley wrote:
RubenS89 wrote:Ah sorry, missed that. Well I'm sure Sony has a LUT to convert from that to REC709. .

I don't think so. As Uli pointed out, the user can customize any of these picture profiles as they wish. There are preassigned picture profiles from the factory, but you can tweak any of them to your liking. PP10 on my Sony may be nothing like PP10 on someone else's Sony.

Well if PP10 is normally HLG / REC2020 then I would make sure the camera shooting PP10 is in the 'standard' PP10 setting. In post you can use a CST tot go to REC709 (assuming Sony indeed does not provide a LUT to do that).

Return to Cinematography