Video assist and Nikon

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

DanMayers

Video assist and Nikon

PostMon Mar 04, 2024 6:09 pm

I think I would like to change over to the Video assist 12g monitor, but I do not see the Nikon Z8 as a supported camera for BRAW . Is the Nikon Z8 going to be supported with BRAW soon or is the manual not up to date? Second question is many monitors are now delivering False color using EL Zone, will this be available on the 12g monitors? Thanks in advance.

mickspixels

Re: Video assist and Nikon

PostMon Mar 04, 2024 11:03 pm

The Z8 cannot record BRAW to the Video Assist. Nor can it record ProRes Raw to the Atomos Ninja V. It would be surprising to me if it ever did given that it can record Nikon's own NRAW internally as well as ProRes Raw. But who knows? I would think it is a minor issue for most Nikon video users as NRAW is a very nice codec to work with in Resolve and the 8K is a full sensor raw format so the quality is excellent.

The only Nikon cameras that can record BRAW to the VIdeo Assist are the Z6, Z6II, Z7 and Z7II. It remains to be seen what the Z6III will bring which is rumoured to be coming this year - if it doesn't have internal raw as in the Z8 and Z9, perhaps it will be able record BRAW to the Video Assist. Keep in mind that Nikon charge around $200 for the firmware update to enable this in the Z6, Z7 family and you have to send the camera to Nikon.

You can record 4K ProRes or H.265 in-camera on the Z8 and record ProRes 4K simultaneously to the Video Assist so it could be a useful backup. I've not used it in that way but I keep it in mind if I ever wanted a backup when shooting. If you record any of the raw formats in-camera, you only get HD out to the Video Assist (and Ninja V).

DanMayers

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 4:13 am

I do have a Z6II and understand it's integration to the monitors capabilities. the Z8 with all it can do heats up in about 30 minutes with the best approved cards making shooting longer interviews tenuous. I can shoot 4k on the Z8 to the Atamos and have longer takes.
Was hoping for encouraging news from Black Magic on this as many factors of their monitor are nice to consider.
Thanks for your input

mickspixels

PostThu Mar 07, 2024 1:08 pm

DanMayers wrote:I do have a Z6II and understand it's integration to the monitors capabilities. the Z8 with all it can do heats up in about 30 minutes with the best approved cards making shooting longer interviews tenuous. I can shoot 4k on the Z8 to the Atamos and have longer takes.
Was hoping for encouraging news from Black Magic on this as many factors of their monitor are nice to consider.
Thanks for your input

Firstly, it would be extremely unlikely that Blackmagic Design would answer a question like this on a forum. Secondly, today's announcement that Nikon have acquired Red would seem to me to make it even less likely that BRAW will join NRAW and ProRes Raw as internally recorded codecs in current or future Nikon cameras. It will be interesting to see if the Nikon Z6III, due sometime this year, continues to have an option for external raw recording to Atomos Ninja and BMD Video Assist. I wouldn't bank on it but who knows?

As far as overheating is concerned, I think the simple answer to that is don't record interviews with 8K NRAW which is presumably what is causing the problems. Or perhaps that should be phrased as a question - why record long form interviews with 8K NRAW. I would think 4K H.265 should be more than adequate.

Have you seen the Ricci Talks video (link below) on his tests with various cards and the Z8? One basic conclusions is that recording H.265 does not cause overheating before the battery runs out. A second conclusions was that setting the camera heat warning to high rather than standard does not cause the camera to shut down at all even with NRAW 8K 60fps. As you mention, you have the option of recording 4K ProRes to the Ninja (with ot without internal H.265 recording). That also works for the BMDVA. That is what I would do if recording longform interviews

DanMayers

PostThu Mar 07, 2024 2:45 pm

Thank you for all the info you provided. I am experiencing the heat issue at 4k , I am sure 8K will be sooner. I did just see the posting this morning on Nikon and Red and feel that This will not Bode well for their relationship with Black Magic. I will watch the shared link. Thank you! Best, Dan

smallbert

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 10:11 am

DanMayers wrote:Thank you for all the info you provided. I am experiencing the heat issue at 4k , I am sure 8K will be sooner. I did just see the posting this morning on Nikon and Red and feel that This will not Bode well for their relationship with Black Magic. I will watch the shared link. Thank you! Best, Dan

Hi Dan,
I can only mange to get 1920x1080 recorded files from my Nikon Z8 to my Atomos Ninja Ultra. Can you think of what I could be doing wrong?

Under the HDMI menu the only way I can get an image on my monitor is if I set the OUTPUT resoltuion to AUTO or 1080p. Could that be the issue?

I'm using an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable by ZILR and a Samsumf 870 SSD.

It's driving me crazy. I thought I was going to be able to shoot at 120fps, ProRes & N-Log.
Currently I can get ProRes, 120fs but only at 1920x1080. Even if I drop the frame rate down to 24fps, I still only get 1920x1080.

Username

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 3:31 pm

smallbert wrote:
Hi Dan,
I can only mange to get 1920x1080 recorded files from my Nikon Z8 to my Atomos Ninja Ultra. Can you think of what I could be doing wrong?

Under the HDMI menu the only way I can get an image on my monitor is if I set the OUTPUT resoltuion to AUTO or 1080p. Could that be the issue?

I'm using an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable by ZILR and a Samsumf 870 SSD.

It's driving me crazy. I thought I was going to be able to shoot at 120fps, ProRes & N-Log.
Currently I can get ProRes, 120fs but only at 1920x1080. Even if I drop the frame rate down to 24fps, I still only get 1920x1080.

Do you have a memory card inserted in your Z8?
If so restrictions are applied.

Z8RG_294.jpg
Z8RG_294.jpg (170.92 KiB) Viewed 177 times

Z8RG_295.jpg
Z8RG_295.jpg (132.99 KiB) Viewed 177 times
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

Return to Cinematography