Product videography on Black Magic 6K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

kyanmagic

Product videography on Black Magic 6K

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 7:45 pm

Hey!

Okay so treat me as a total newb as I've typically made documentaries and art films so I have no idea about product videography.

However I've just got a retainer client for product work so I'm looking to invest time and money into what exactly I need to do this correctly.

Can anyone recommend any specific equipment/and anything else I need to know for this type of work? I know I'll need a slider, rotator, lights (I already have Aputure 300x), backdrops, diffusion, some kind of stand - but if anyone has any specific recommendations of what's worked for them?

Also regarding lenses, I've always shot on vintage lenses which I of course wouldn't use for this, so recommendations for what lenses would work best regarding focal length and brand?

Lastly, I'll be doing this alone and I'm concerned that because the Black Magic doesn't have autofocus that it may be more difficult to do this type of work, so any experiences here would be useful? (perhaps with the right motorised slider for example I can pull focus with a tilt Nano for example).

Thank you in advance, much appreciated!

Rakesh Malik

Re: Product videography on Black Magic 6K

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 am

You don't need particularly large lights for product, though it you do any high frame rate shots you'll need more power. More smaller lights is better -- more options for painting the subjects with light is always better. Use what works for each.

Lens wise look for one that doesn't breath, so not the Sigma ART lenses unless they have a newer version around (great image quality, but they breath quite a bit, so not ideal for film work).

A lot of gimbals these days have built in focus controllers that can drive small motors that are powerful enough for small cine lenses. Primes are probably your best bet for size + cost, and they'd be easier to use on a slider or gimbal due to the smaller size (and weight).
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 am

Well, with the 6K you can handle lens breathing quite well by a bit of keyframed zooming in the Inspector. The use of vintage lenses in general depends on the style you're aiming for. If you need something very clinical, the Sigma Art lenses are not a bad choice, IMHO. But for a different look, older lenses can be quite nice.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

robedge

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 am

I think that a lot depends on what products your client is selling (cars, watches, clothes...?), what your client wants video to do and how much money your client wants to spend.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 am

Absolutely. And since you don't seem to have any experience in that field, it may help to sit down over your concept for an hour or two with someone who has, even if you need to pay for that.
Technology doesn't cut it, experience does! But there's always a first time.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Cinematography