Camera 8.6 Beta Release Available

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: Camera 8.6 Beta Release Available

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 8:33 pm

Filip27 wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Via USB, the output from my Pocket 4K camera was 1080p (regardless of the camera's recording format settings) when used with VLC, Zoom and FaceTime.

Really? Still only 1080p output from the BMPCC4K? I was hoping this would give the camera the ability to output 4K60 over USB-C, what a shame!

Unfortunately, this is not going to change due to a hardware limitation.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 5:03 am

So what is the GA date of the 8.6? Will it still support ProRes codec?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 3:34 am

Ellory Yu wrote:So what is the GA date of the 8.6? Will it still support ProRes codec?

Not sure about the GA date, there are still a few items we might want to add in or fix as well.

Of course it will still have ProRes. Don't listen to rumours.

timbutt2

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 4:41 am

Kristian Lam wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:So what is the GA date of the 8.6? Will it still support ProRes codec?

Not sure about the GA date, there are still a few items we might want to add in or fix as well.

Of course it will still have ProRes. Don't listen to rumours.

Any chance this firmware will also come to some of the other cameras? Like the URSA Mini Pro G2? Would love if that could happen. Would keep the P6KPro and UMPG2 as equal companions.

Also, since the P4K got these updates and the UMPG2 is more powerful I'm sure it can handle these updates. Plus the UMP12K can also probably handle it and should get it.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

CUBuffskier

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 12:45 pm

You guys are the best. Thanks for listening and responding Kristian.

Kristian Lam wrote:
CUBuffskier wrote:Yep - I setup a project first on the computer, and connected my camera to it after, wired into my ethernet.

What is odd is resolve seems to even know to pull the file back down from the cloud to the computer, it just never gets put in my project.

The phone app doesn't have the same issue for me at the moment.

I might put a video out after I understand it better, or its fully working. If this is part of the beta that is understandable.

Hey, ok we know what's going on. This is an issue on our part and we're working on a fix for it.
Chadwick Shoults
CreativeVideoTips.com

Resolve Studio 18.0.1 Build3
Apple M1 Max Macbook Pro, 64GB RAM, 24 Core GPU, 2TB SSD, 24" LG Ultrafine, 3G Ultrastudio, Speed Editor

WahWay

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 5:02 pm

I want to see the return of CinemaDNG for stills and all flavours of anamorphic squeeze especially 1.5x for the 6KFF just as in the Pyxis. Also fix the EF mount macro lenses iris fluctuation issue when used with a L mount to EF adapter on the 6KFF.

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 2:57 pm

Put my P4K through its paces on a 8 hr shoot recently. Found some issues with the 8.6 Beta firmware.

1. The camera would occasionally freeze to the point where I couldn't even turn it off. Had to pull the battery. (Thankfully, never lost any footage.)

2. The camera didn't so much freeze (I could still go into the menu and do stuff), but it would fail to start recording until I pulled the battery.

3. REALLY not liking all the new files and folders that are showing up on my CFAST card in support of the new clip review features in the camera. I would LOVE to have some way of disabling that so I got one file per clip...and nothing else. The way it used to be. (Much better for copying the card to Media drives.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Ellory Yu

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 2:32 am

Jim Simon wrote:3. REALLY not liking all the new files and folders that are showing up on my CFAST card in support of the new clip review features in the camera. I would LOVE to have some way of disabling that so I got one file per clip...and nothing else. The way it used to be. (Much better for copying the card to Media drives.)

I really like this suggestion. Have a switch to turn on/off this feature please.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Michael Kropfberger

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 8:19 am

+1

I also dont care about that apple crappy .dot files....

Ellory Yu wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:3. REALLY not liking all the new files and folders that are showing up on my CFAST card in support of the new clip review features in the camera. I would LOVE to have some way of disabling that so I got one file per clip...and nothing else. The way it used to be. (Much better for copying the card to Media drives.)

I really like this suggestion. Have a switch to turn on/off this feature please.
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 12:16 pm

UserOS wrote:After the update, communication with DJI RS2 via USB-C cable does not work. Please fix it.

Please provide more details.

What version were you on when the DJI RS2 was working?

Did you check that the Webcam option is turned off when you are using the DJI RS2 in the 8.6 beta release?

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 01, 2024 1:34 am

WahWay wrote:Also fix the EF mount macro lenses iris fluctuation issue when used with a L mount to EF adapter on the 6KFF.

More info about lens model and adapter please. Has this been reported to our support team officially?

Sean van Berlo

PostWed May 01, 2024 6:21 am

Just to be clear, the reported aperture changing at close focus distances is NORMAL behavior on a lot of macro lenses: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4293259

MontgomerySutton

PostWed May 01, 2024 5:23 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:
UserOS wrote:After the update, communication with DJI RS2 via USB-C cable does not work. Please fix it.

Did you check that the Webcam option is turned off when you are using the DJI RS2 in the 8.6 beta release?

Hi Kristian,

I can confirm this error. DJI RS2 is currently working on firmware but on 8.6 beta release no focus or record control, the RS2 does not even recognize the camera. And I can confirm that "Use as Webcam" is turned off. When I downgrade to firmware 8.1, "camera control cable connected" appears on the RS2 and camera control works as expected.
​Montgomery Sutton
Owner & Creative Director
lupo blu productions
e. montgomery@lupoblu.com
w. www.lupoblu.com
--
UMP (G1), BMPCC4K, BMPCC6K, Epic-W, GH6, Z Cam E2

WahWay

PostWed May 01, 2024 6:26 pm

Sean van Berlo wrote:Just to be clear, the reported aperture changing at close focus distances is NORMAL behavior on a lot of macro lenses: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4293259

No its not. The Canon macro lenses I use has constant aperture on ALL focus distances on ALL the Blackmagic cameras. Please do not derail the fixes.

Update!
Sean, have you use Canon EF and EFS Macro lenses before? It would seem you never did and you based your claims on postings you read online that has nothing to do with Canon Macro lenses as fact. Very irresponsible I might say.

Here is Canon's description "A fixed and fast f/2.8 aperture for low light shooting and beautiful background blur"
https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-ef-100mm-f-2-8l-macro-is-usm-lens/3554B005/

"8-bladed fixed aperture for constant exposure, creating beautiful bokeh"
https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-ef-s-35mm-f-2-8-macro-is-stm-lens/2220C005/#:~:text=With%20its%208%2Dbladed%20fixed,see%20with%20the%20human%20eye.

A review
"Canon 60mm f2.8 Macro USM is a Fixed aperture Auto Focus (AF) Macro Prime lens"
https://cameradecision.com/lenses/review/Canon-EF-S-60mm-f2.8-Macro-USM
Last edited by WahWay on Wed May 01, 2024 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WahWay

PostWed May 01, 2024 6:38 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:
WahWay wrote:Also fix the EF mount macro lenses iris fluctuation issue when used with a L mount to EF adapter on the 6KFF.

More info about lens model and adapter please. Has this been reported to our support team officially?

Its not been reported to the support team, only mention on this forum.

BMCC6K when using Sigma MC-21 L to EF adapter the following Canon Macro lenses iris fluctuates depending on focus distances.
Canon EFS 60mm f2.8 Macro
Canon EFS 35mm f2.8 Macro IS STM
Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM

All of these lenses the iris are fixed and does not fluctuate with focus distances on any Blackmagic cameras with EF mount or cameras with M43 mount with Metabones EF adapter. With Canon cameras the iris also does not fluctuates with these lenses.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 01, 2024 10:56 pm

WahWay wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:

Its not been reported to the support team, only mention on this forum.

BMCC6K when using Sigma MC-21 L to EF adapter the following Canon Macro lenses iris fluctuates depending on focus distances.
Canon EFS 60mm f2.8 Macro
Canon EFS 35mm f2.8 Macro IS STM
Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM

All of these lenses the iris are fixed and does not fluctuate with focus distances on any Blackmagic cameras with EF mount or cameras with M43 mount with Metabones EF adapter. With Canon cameras the iris also does not fluctuates with these lenses.

Ok thank you and we'll look into this.

I would recommend always lodging a support ticket if possible. Forum posts sometimes get lost and is not always monitored.

chang123456

PostThu May 02, 2024 9:18 am

Kristian Lam wrote:

Hi Kristian,

I have 6K G2 and using DJI RS3 with latest firmware. Have the same issue oon beta 8.6. Focus and record button doesn work. I am on the latest DJI RS3 firmware and the webcam optionis turned off. Downgrading to 8.5.1 the USB connection works again. I have done this cycle now 3 times and can confirm the beta firmwawre breaks the USB cable connection on DJI RS.

Cheers,

Chang
Previous

Return to Cinematography