Affordable battery solution?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Christian Schmeer

Affordable battery solution?

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking for an affordable battery solution for when the BMCC arrives. I came across the Switronix PB70-BMCC, however £300 (GBP) seems a bit steep for an external battery... It doesn't have to be something camera mountable...I don't mind if I have to carry the external battery in my backpack or so :roll:

What will your portable external power solution be?

-Chris
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Affordable battery solution?

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 7:54 pm

There are already quite a few external power solutions announced for the BMCC, and new ones every few weeks.

Hawk-Woods, Anton-Bauer, IDX, Dolgin, jag35, globalmediapro DOT com, etc., etc.

There's a 31-page thread on BMCuser DOT com that I'm not allowed to post a link to here (unfortunately), titled "Power", started 4/23/12 and which contains dozens and dozens of solutions.

Cheers.

PaulDelVecchio

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Look at Wondlan.com for Dynacore batteries. They're really cheap and from my experience with them so far, they're pretty good. They are 95wH batteries so they last a LONG time.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

matthijsliethof

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 8:38 pm

What about these ;p?

http://dx.com/p/solar-usb-powered-12000 ... 06?item=14

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... 3450i.html

Just looking for something below the pricepoint of the switronix, so I can channel the cash to some new glass! :lol:

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Unfortunately, it's against the forum rules here to post links to other websites.

(Note to self: Bookmark those links quick before they disappear!) :lol:

Christine Peterson

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Hey Peter, I appreciate your vigilance! For the most part, the team is just sensitive to other forums and competitive sales promotions/links. Links to batteries and other accessories should be a-ok. :)
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Fredrick_Keyser

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks for that clarification!
Fredrick Keyser
Keyser Productions
www.keyserproductions.com

Felix Steinhardt

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 11:24 pm

I like the ikan and hawkwoods solutions because I already have Sony NP-F batteries
Ikan adaptor is 70 $

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 1:13 am

Do you think these could work on the Black Magic Cinema Camera? Technically they should, shouldn't they? 2x NPF970 battery inputs, 12v output (or 5v or 7.2v for Canon DSLRs). That surely could provide a few hours extra battery life?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=Catclaw+Power+Supply

-Chris.
www.christianschmeer.com

matthijsliethof

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 7:21 am

Does the Black Magic cinema camera need a power supply rated at a minimum output mAh? Or is it fine if its just 12v? (or 14.8 like the switronix?)

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 11:49 am

cschmeer wrote:Do you think these could work on the Black Magic Cinema Camera? Technically they should, shouldn't they? 2x NPF970 battery inputs, 12v output (or 5v or 7.2v for Canon DSLRs). That surely could provide a few hours extra battery life?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=Catclaw+Power+Supply

-Chris.

Can anyone advise on whether this would work? :)

-Chris
www.christianschmeer.com

matthijsliethof

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 12:31 pm

cschmeer wrote:
cschmeer wrote:Do you think these could work on the Black Magic Cinema Camera? Technically they should, shouldn't they? 2x NPF970 battery inputs, 12v output (or 5v or 7.2v for Canon DSLRs). That surely could provide a few hours extra battery life?

-Chris.

Can anyone advise on whether this would work? :)

-Chris

I second this :P

Margus Voll

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 2:41 pm

2.5 amps i.e 2500 ma minimum
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

sean mclennan

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Why would you want this? Unless you already have a bunch of Sony NP-F970s laying around...a 2 pack from BH costs $280 USD...plus the $100 for the adapter plate...the output looks acceptable, albeit short duration, but I'm not sure if the plug is 100% correct...so you *may* need an adapter plug.

So you're going to spend $400 for a hacked together solution when a company like Switronix has developed a custom 70 Wh solution for the BMCC for $345? um, ok.

I'm truthfully confused at everyone's freak out of the cost of a battery solution. These needs aren't new in the cinema camera world. A single REDvolt battery pack is $200 and it's only 37 Wh. The more powerful REDbricks are $450. Sony's F3 uses packs that are $270 to $430.

I don't know...to me it's part of the price of admission to the BMCC world. So is a good quality VariND filter and a adapter for my cage. It's already budgeted & planned.

I guess it's just personal preference and I understand wanting to save money, but I just don't see the benefit in "risking" any possible issues in the middle of a shoot to save a hundred or two dollars.

YMMV

Margus Voll

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 3:35 pm

i bet there is 2 different group of people here.

1. wants to save all the money

2. does not want to fail on shoot

so from there the needs are different.

as for myself i do not care the money if it is justified in my projects.
main question is if one or the other solution if it is reasonable for my needs.
Margus Voll, CSI

adamroberts

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 3:35 pm

-Chris.

Very similar to the Hawk Woods (http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/detai ... i3=DV-F970).

I think I'd trust the Hawk Woods more tho. Theirs can also be mounted directly to the camera. Nice for handheld work.

It's only really useful if you have NP-F batteries already. Else there are cheaper options.

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 6:34 pm

I do not have NP-F batteries already, but I was considering getting that $99 battery adapter + 2 generic 6800mAh NP-F970 batteries, which cost about $25 each on eBay. That would come to roughly £80 GBP for the adapter and two batteries, whereas the Switronix PB70-BMCC you mentioned costs about £290 GBP in the UK. Do you think going the cheap route is a bad idea?

EDIT: I guess coming from DSLR cameras, I am just not used to the massive prices for batteries.
EDIT: Ideally, a system that can use my Canon 5D Mark III batteries would be great, but then again that would probably not be sufficient for the BMCC.
Last edited by Christian Schmeer on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.christianschmeer.com

Margus Voll

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 6:36 pm

you should consider also form factor and how long your camera would run on this solution.

how fast would be recharge, how durable it all will be.

price is just one component there.
Margus Voll, CSI

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 7:43 pm

Margus Voll wrote:you should consider also form factor and how long your camera would run on this solution.

how fast would be recharge, how durable it all will be.

price is just one component there.

I guess the Swixtronix battery would definitely be a safer choice. Maybe you are right, better safe than sorry. Does anyone know how it is charged? I am guessing the charger is another $100? :roll:
www.christianschmeer.com

sean mclennan

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 7:51 pm

cschmeer wrote:Do you think going the cheap route is a bad idea?

I have no idea...I tried a couple generic batteries for my 5D and they never worked as well as my Canon battery. Occasionally I would get errors on the camera and would have to remove the battery and reinstall and then everything would work again. This kind of "flakiness" makes me nervous. I now just use those knock offs to power my marshall 5" LCD. It's a dump device that just draws power whereas the 5D actually tries to communicate with the battery.

It's possible that the interface on the BMCC is completely dumb...it's possible that your generic batteries are far better than the ones I used.

200 quid is certainly a substantial difference. No harm in trying I guess, but I would do quite a bit of testing before I took that setup on an assignment/paid gig.

Good Luck, and definitely let us know how it works out!

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 12:27 am

I may try the Switronix at some point, but I've been such a huge fan of the Anton-Bauer solutions my entire career, I don't see myself switching.

On batteries, recording media, lenses and heads/sticks: don't skimp. You can make footage from a cheap camera with cheap lights look great, but you'll never get a shot if your battery can't hold a charge, the recording media inexplicably drops frames or generally decides not to work, the light entering the camera is muddy and OOF and every pan and tilt looks like you're spinning the camera on a block of concrete.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Christian Schmeer

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 12:53 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:I may try the Switronix at some point, but I've been such a huge fan of the Anton-Bauer solutions my entire career, I don't see myself switching.

On batteries, recording media, lenses and heads/sticks: don't skimp. You can make footage from a cheap camera with cheap lights look great, but you'll never get a shot if your battery can't hold a charge, the recording media inexplicably drops frames or generally decides not to work, the light entering the camera is muddy and OOF and every pan and tilt looks like you're spinning the camera on a block of concrete.

I guess you're right. Depending on the battery, they should be useable with future cameras as well. How do you charge something like the Switronix PB70-BMCC? Is it just a cable or an expensive charger? :( Also, do you think the battery pack would be 15mm rod mountable somehow if I ever get a proper rig in the future?
www.christianschmeer.com

Vitchub

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 5:46 am

Hi guys, have you checked the new Ikan battery plates for the BMCC?
I think they are affordable, even when they did their math wrong at IBC announcing them for under 30 Euros...

http://www.ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=567

And you get to choose which plate according to the batteries you already have or like to use:
Canon "900"
Panasonic "D54"
Sony "L"
Sony "BP-U"

I am planning to move to the Switronix solution as soon as the BMCC starts paying off though. Fingers crossed it ships soon...
Hola from Mexico!

John Bauer

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 2:50 pm

anyone tried the ikan solution yet?

Dave Chin

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 4:38 pm

teh wrote:anyone tried the ikan solution yet?

i just got a note two days ago saying they shipped it so i'll be able to give it a go. but for what it's worth, i am using a v-mount setup which does the trick. but i think the iKan solution will go well for my 'lightweight'
setup (or for the second camera whenever that happens...)
currently enjoying my BMPCC & BMCC in Singapore.

John Bauer

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 12:39 am

please keep us updated!

matthijsliethof

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Probably going for one of the cheaper v-mounts on ebay (running for about 120 euro's + mountable on rods)
And a (dont know what brand) v-mount battery for about 200 euro's. So thats around the pricing of the switronix pack but with the possibility to rent some v-mount battery if I need a longer runtime. (and because of the v-mount I can replace an empty battery a hell of a lot easier)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Catclaw-DSLR-Ri ... 3a73899691

&

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130wh-Battery-S ... 1c2c5c4d84

Anybody here located in the Netherlands? (can't seem to find a good address to rent me those v-mount battery's :lol: :cry: )

Sidenote: are anton bauer gold mounts solutions easier to get by? (maybe cheaper?)

Aaron Scheiner

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 9:33 pm

I've got a ton of Sony L-series batteries. They're each 7.2V and the BMC can accept between 12 and 30V... so perhaps two could be connected in series...

If that's the case, each battery holds approximately 47Wh, between two batteries that's 94Wh... so this solution would run the camera for at least 5 hours continuously (assuming an average draw of 18W).

Roughly 1.25 Amps for this 14.4V system. The plus of a solution like this, apart from a decent runtime is that it'd be extremely cheap because there'd be no additional electronics and no stepping up of the voltage. This would also bring the efficiency of the system close to 100%, vs whatever losses occur in conversion solutions.

Anyone have any idea where one could find a dual battery mount ? :P

-edit- how about a cheap generic dual-battery charger for $27 :P ebay cheap charger ... Just strip out the electronics and solder.

Felix Steinhardt

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Uhm, just buy the Hawkwoods adapter. I use it with my BMCC and Sony NP-F batteries. It takes the voltage up to 12 V

Aaron Scheiner

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 7:30 am

There are only two ways that I'm aware of that they can achieve the 12V output from a 7.2V source ...

1. Connect the batteries in series with a resistor... which would be highly inefficient. or
2... the more likely scenario they're using a small power supply (which inverts through modulation into a square wave, steps up through a transformer and then rectifies back to DC).

Although solution 2 is more efficient than solution 1, it probably still loses around 25% of the energy it is converting.

In the batteries in series concept no energy is lost because no conversion occurs and no heat is dissipated. It's also cheaper and lighter because it involves less electronics.

I'm going to test it today.

Felix Steinhardt

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 12:21 pm

I wanted to do the same (series) before choosing the hawkwoods adapter because someone here told me not to use lithium ion batteries in series. It would destroy the batteries. I don´t know if it´s true.

Aaron Scheiner

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Most Lithium-Ion batteries are already constructed in series; for instance a 7.2V Li-Ion battery consists of two 3.6V cells in series. From what I've read Li-Ion batteries cannot be charged in series, but they can be discharged in series (src:Battery University).

Another example of Li-Ion cells being used in serial is when they're packaged as AA or triple AAA battery sizes and used in series in battery compartments, such as Sony wireless mics.

Regardless I'll soon find out if I'm wrong... I've ordered three super-cheap L-series chargers from China, which I'll adapt to this purpose.

boscpug

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 2:13 am

Check out Ikan's new Dual rod mount with your choice of battery adapter plate (I went with Sony L):

http://ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=567
Dan
---
Daniel Bérubé
Co-Producer, SuperMeets
http://supermeet.com
---
Be a Part of It. BOSCPUG
Boston Creative Pro User Group
http://boscpug.org

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 7:10 am

Bescor also now sells a relatively inexpensive battery solution for the BMCC ($199):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... _auto.html

-

eyeiaye

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 4:17 pm

boscpug wrote:Check out Ikan's new Dual rod mount with your choice of battery adapter plate (I went with Sony L):

http://ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=567

How much time do you get recording with the Sony L?
-eyeiaye

Rudy Satria

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi Chris, have you checked the same thread that i made? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8588&hilit=affordable+battery+solution
Hope you find some affordable battery refferences in there. Cheers!
Rudy Iskandar

Darko Djerich

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 6:27 am

This looks interesting ,

I am considering buying one,could charge it even in car via laptop charger as well and always have as back up ready in field ,also it does up to 21 V reducing risk for low voltage and does seem to provide enough current 12V/4A :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AP-16000mAh- ... fcf&_uhb=1
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU MBA M1 phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, micro panel weebill S Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

Margus Voll

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 7:14 am

What i have seen now with some experience is if you have any external devices like monitors or
evf etc and you have relatively small battery lets say 5 amps only, some of the devices will shut down
after you lose 20% of your battery from 100%.

So "cheap" battery would also be "expensive" if you fail on shoot.
Margus Voll, CSI

kamil

elliotwoods

PostMon Jun 29, 2015 7:29 am

My idea:

3 of these $14 each Mi Power Bank 10,400mAh

1 of these

+ solder some of these together

= 15V @ 10,400 mAh for about $45

Pretty impractical, you'd probably want some velcro / other mounting bits.
But highly affordable and easy to upgrade/charge.

Uli Plank

PostMon Jun 29, 2015 8:49 am

Why not get one of the 12 Volt packs?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/281697770691?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

I'm sure they are offered worldwide.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Mastro

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 11:41 am

Hi all

Have anyone checked or tried this ones?
Litionite Tanker 50000 mah on Amazon.
Are rated for be setted also at 12V 4.7A with a capacity of 185 Wh and 92.5 Wh for the 50000 mah version and 25000 mah respectively.
Can those Voltages and Amperage working well with the bmpcc without damages ?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Return to Cinematography