Video Tripod Advice

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Johannes Jonsson

Re: Video Tripod Advice

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 12:10 pm

[/quote]Thanks Johannes,
Yes - tried the motorized slider route. The issue is that the slider can’t handle the weight of the bmpc6k pro + macro lens. When tracking upwards it slips and also makes it much harder to time the beer pour. Whereas with the manual jib you can manually follow the beer pour as it happens. (Getting the beer pour right is a whole other story..) Just fyi - the sliders I tried were the neewer slider which is great but struggles under the weight. I was also able to borrow an ifootage motorized shark slider which had the same problem - thus moved to a jib. It’s why I’m looking for a recommendation on decent tripod as the manfrotto element mkii was not ideal with the jib i was using. Any sub $500 tripod suggestions for the kessler pocket jib traveler (I’ve just ordered one) welcome.
Thanks again.
Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I feel your pain, sliders for heavier payloads need quite a lot of torque, down geared quite a lot.
I hope you will find one that fits the need and I´ll of course point one out if I run into one with in this price and hopefully in time.

Setup for shots like this with this length of lens in closeup usually calls for a quite solid and stable head and legs, but it is helpful that this is just one movement bottom to top, might take multiple takes but should be possible and adding weights to the tripod should help.

But thinking out of the box in case you are close to deadline because it is only a one movement shot bottom up what you really only need is some kind of solid platform for the Jib, it does not need to be a tripod and you could even skip the head thought it for sure make things easier for setting up and leveling, you might want to use a bubble level to get the setup in level.
Once when shooting in a rural place I managed to make some sort of setup using pallets I tarred down and some metal stuff I found on location, that solved the problem of some rigging gear along with tripod not arriving on set for some reason, yeah it looked horrible but I got those shoots I needed.
Just something to try if you want till you get what you need.
Johannes

Justinp008

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 12:47 am

Johannes Jonsson wrote:
Thanks Johannes,
Yes - tried the motorized slider route. The issue is that the slider can’t handle the weight of the bmpc6k pro + macro lens. When tracking upwards it slips and also makes it much harder to time the beer pour. Whereas with the manual jib you can manually follow the beer pour as it happens. (Getting the beer pour right is a whole other story..) Just fyi - the sliders I tried were the neewer slider which is great but struggles under the weight. I was also able to borrow an ifootage motorized shark slider which had the same problem - thus moved to a jib. It’s why I’m looking for a recommendation on decent tripod as the manfrotto element mkii was not ideal with the jib i was using. Any sub $500 tripod suggestions for the kessler pocket jib traveler (I’ve just ordered one) welcome.
Thanks again.
Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I feel your pain, sliders for heavier payloads need quite a lot of torque, down geared quite a lot.
I hope you will find one that fits the need and I´ll of course point one out if I run into one with in this price and hopefully in time.

Setup for shots like this with this length of lens in closeup usually calls for a quite solid and stable head and legs, but it is helpful that this is just one movement bottom to top, might take multiple takes but should be possible and adding weights to the tripod should help.

But thinking out of the box in case you are close to deadline because it is only a one movement shot bottom up what you really only need is some kind of solid platform for the Jib, it does not need to be a tripod and you could even skip the head thought it for sure make things easier for setting up and leveling, you might want to use a bubble level to get the setup in level.
Once when shooting in a rural place I managed to make some sort of setup using pallets I tarred down and some metal stuff I found on location, that solved the problem of some rigging gear along with tripod not arriving on set for some reason, yeah it looked horrible but I got those shoots I needed.
Just something to try if you want till you get what you need.[/quote]Thanks Johannes
Really appreciate all the suggestions. Very helpful!
Thanks again and best
Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rick.lang

Video Tripod Advice

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 1:37 pm

rick.lang wrote:
Johannes Jonsson wrote:… I needed to turn the head like 20 times both ways to be able to get smooth pan…

That’s an interesting reasonable suggestion. I’ll incorporate that pan and tilt warmup procedure for my next client shoot Saturday, just before I’m recording with the UM4.6K.
I did that warm-up procedure, but the shoot is long and I still had some poor tilts on the UM4.6K with the Manfrotto 502. Since it’s a two camera shoot, I can switch to the footage (in post) from the BMPCC4K with a Manfrotto 701 (much lighter rig) to cover up my poor tilt.

PSA:
Usually I record Q1 on the Samsung T7 Shield 2TB (or the Wise Portable SSD 1 TB) BMPCC4K; when I copy the footage to my RAID5 for editing in Resolve, it takes “about 3 hours.”
Last night I went for Q0 on the T7 Shield. I recorded almost 1 TB and the copy says it will take “about 7 hours” so I doubt I’ll continue shooting Q0 in the future, but this does give me an opportunity to see if the Q0 footage has any real advantage in post. The footage contains some portions that are too dark for comfort and some portions of the frame are too bright.
Rick Lang

Johannes Jonsson

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 2:16 pm

rick.lang wrote:
rick.lang wrote:
Johannes Jonsson wrote:… I needed to turn the head like 20 times both ways to be able to get smooth pan…

That’s an interesting reasonable suggestion. I’ll incorporate that pan and tilt warmup procedure for my next client shoot Saturday, just before I’m recording with the UM4.6K.
I did that warm-up procedure, but the shoot is long and I still had some poor tilts on the UM4.6K with the Manfrotto 502. Since it’s a two camera shoot, I can switch to the footage (in post) from the BMPCC4K with a Manfrotto 701 (much lighter rig) to cover up my poor tilt.

PSA:
Usually I record Q1 on the Samsung T7 Shield 2TB (or the Wise Portable SSD 1 TB) BMPCC4K; when I copy the footage to my RAID5 for editing in Resolve, it takes “about 3 hours.”
Last night I went for Q0 on the T7 Shield. I recorded almost 1 TB and the copy says it will take “about 7 hours” so I doubt I’ll continue shooting Q0 in the future, but this does give me an opportunity to see if the Q0 footage has any real advantage in post. The footage contains some portions that are too dark for comfort and some portions of the frame are too bright.

My problem with 316 was the Pan axis only, possible its easier to get it warmed up to the point it starts to work properly because I can do those turns fast and steady instead of up and down.
Still after short time using it I had to do it all over again because it started doing the same thing again.

3 hours copying, how much material, GB?
3 hours is a quite long time even for 2TB of footage.
Johannes

rick.lang

Video Tripod Advice

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 2:44 pm

My RAID5 of course requires the Pegasus2 RAID to format the incoming data stream as RAID 5 which likely takes more time than a simple copy. And it’s going to a Thunderbolt 2 device rather than TB 3 or TB 4. I can post the actual time later today when it’s completed.

Edit
965 GB BRAW 4K DCI Q0 took about 6 and a half hours to copy to Promise Pegasus2 five 4 TB drives using RAID5 (my sixth drive is a 10 TB system backup for my Mac 8 TB computer). My RAID is showing its age; it was fine for HD capacities when I bought it and used it as RAID10, but not so good coping with 4K/UHD volumes RAID5.
Last edited by rick.lang on Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Lang

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 6:43 pm

timbutt2 wrote:A great tripod will last far longer than a camera. I know people who are still using the same Sachtler tripod 20-years later.

This is very true. I would not part with my Vinten after over 20 years, neither. This is what I have: https://www.visuals.co.uk/vb100-cp2m.html, they still make it, for a reason and fortunately at over 9 grand sterling, I inherited it from the TV station, I worked at. It's outlasted all the cameras, from DSR 570s on and currently is used with UBG2 and ENG lens, I have. It's rated at 7-20KG and I wouldn't like anything less with the Ursa sized cameras. It's been through desert and storm in Europe and Africa and still is very serviceable, with a beautiful pan and tilt.

Perhaps overkill for pockets and a lot of moola; that I couldn't afford myself if I had to buy it again.. There are other lighter good options but I'm personally not a fan of Manfrottos - and I've had quite a few. They are really prosumer and all the ones I had were poor and crapped out eventually. Whatever you get, buy the best you can afford; it's a very worthwhile investment and a good brand one is not an unwise secondhand purchase too.

Ellory Yu

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 7:14 pm

rick.lang wrote:Usually I record Q1 on the Samsung T7 Shield 2TB (or the Wise Portable SSD 1 TB) BMPCC4K; when I copy the footage to my RAID5 for editing in Resolve, it takes “about 3 hours.”

Rick, Are you shooting Q0 for plates? Unless it is for plates, I shoot in Q3 for quality and Q5 for general finishes.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Johannes Jonsson

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 10:36 am

rick.lang wrote:My RAID5 of course requires the Pegasus2 RAID to format the incoming data stream as RAID 5 which likely takes more time than a simple copy. And it’s going to a Thunderbolt 2 device rather than TB 3 or TB 4. I can post the actual time later today when it’s completed.

Edit
965 GB BRAW 4K DCI Q0 took about 6 and a half hours to copy to Promise Pegasus2 five 4 TB drives using RAID5 (my sixth drive is a 10 TB system backup for my Mac 8 TB computer). My RAID is showing its age; it was fine for HD capacities when I bought it and used it as RAID10, but not so good coping with 4K/UHD volumes RAID5.

Not the best for fast turnaround maybe but for projects that are not close to deadline I suppose should be just fine. Also if it is a backup only then it should be fine.
Johannes
Previous

Return to Cinematography