Video Tripod Advice

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Justinp008

Video Tripod Advice

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 5:56 am

Hi All,
Looking at my first video tripod to use with a BMP6k Pro and kessler pocket jib traveler.

On a budget and trying to decide between

Ifootage wildbull T5
and
Smallrig Ad-100 (with fluid head)

Also will be using it with macro lens for product video so needs to be really stable.

Be grateful if you can share experience, feedback and advice before I make a purchase.

Thanks very much for your help.

Best
Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timbutt2

Re: Video Tripod Advice

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 6:24 am

I'm a big fan of Sachtler tripods. I have the older FSB head models, but the Flowtech legs and those are amazing! Of course the tripod is not cheap (mine was worth over $3K), but worth the investment. A great tripod will last far longer than a camera. I know people who are still using the same Sachtler tripod 20-years later.

There are more affordable Sachtler options. Sachtler Ace M is a lower cost option. And, on B&H right now you can get it for $600 because of savings of $250 off the original $850 price. The Ace XL models support more weight, but cost a decent amount more.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _with.html
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Justinp008

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 6:51 am

timbutt2 wrote:I'm a big fan of Sachtler tripods. I have the older FSB head models, but the Flowtech legs and those are amazing! Of course the tripod is not cheap (mine was worth over $3K), but worth the investment. A great tripod will last far longer than a camera. I know people who are still using the same Sachtler tripod 20-years later.

There are more affordable Sachtler options. Sachtler Ace M is a lower cost option. And, on B&H right now you can get it for $600 because of savings of $250 off the original $850 price. The Ace XL models support more weight, but cost a decent amount more.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _with.html
Thanks Tim,
Great tip - I will check it out.
Best
Justin

John Griffin

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 8:23 am

Depends on what you want to do. If it's just locked off shots then any cheap tripod will do if used carefully. If you want to do smooth and repeatable camera moves then there are no cheap options.

robedge

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 11:58 am

Hi Justin,

I think it’s unlikely that anyone here knows anything about the tripods that you’re talking about. As I understand it, that iFootage is no longer made, and SmallRig is fairly new to making video tripods.

I suggest that you read the following thread. It was started in September and was revived by someone else, taking a somewhat different direction, in January: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=188356

The January revival includes some discussion about the SmallRig tripod you’re considering, and about a newer iFootage tripod. The iFootage has been recommended by a highly experienced participant in this forum. There’s also discussion about relatively inexpensive Manfrotto options that are widely used (most people here have probably owned one of these options) and that are inexpensive second-hand.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Johannes Jonsson

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 1:05 pm

If I were getting tripod head and leg I would not hesitate going for Sachtler systems.
I have been using my Sachtler´s in heavy use in all kind of situations for tens of years without a single problem with any of them.
Like my old and loyal Sachtler Video 18 with carbon legs witch I use the far most and really often in really harsh conditions is still my favorite one and still is 100%.
But there are of course others like Miller, Vinten and other good quality ones to take a look at.

It of course depends on your need what you will go for but I would seriously take a look at Ace and Flowtech from Sachtler if you are looking for lower mid priced systems.
If you are spending money on those thing I would spend them well by making the right choice, look at is as a investment.

I have tested other in lower and mid priced brands but never found what I am happy to use.
This is just my personal opinion from m experience thought and does not mean that there are no other choices than Sachtler, Miller and Vinten.
Johannes

robedge

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 1:35 pm

Johannes Jonsson wrote:If I were getting tripod head and leg I would not hesitate going for Sachtler systems.

Right, let’s just completely ignore Justin’s statement that he’s on a budget and the cost range of the tripods he’s specifically named :)

It is a fact that a participant in this forum who has decades of experience as a professional cinematographer, and whose video and still photography is of very high quality, has recommended one of iFootage’s current video tripods.

The link is in the post right above yours. Have you read what he says?

It’s real easy for me to tell Justin to buy the Miller that I own. Has nothing to do with his budget, and I have no idea what he needs, if anything, in terms of pans and tilts, but a Miller works for me so he should buy one.

The same thing happened in the thread that I posted above. People recommended tripods that cost hundreds of dollars more than the poster budgeted. They all had amnesia about the Manfrotto that they started out with. Had they asked, or done a basic internet search, they would have learnt that the poster is a high school student who’s making pretty interesting narrative short films. Great message. Don’t bother with video unless you have a lot of money.
Last edited by robedge on Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Phil999

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 1:40 pm

a very useful feature of the Sachtler Flowtech Aktiv system is the ability to quickly detach the fluid head to another tripod, slider, jib.

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 1:53 pm

I have not had experience with the ifootage tripod but I have used their jib arm.

If the build and quality of the tripod is the same as the jib arm, then the ifootage tripod should be a good investment for the price.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

oceanus

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 2:16 pm

I don't have experience with the particular equipment that you mention, Justin, however I do have an iFootage#TC7 Fast Bowl Tripod and the Komodo K7 Fluid Head, which I have used with my Panasonic cameras, as well as the BMPCC 4K, for several years. I can attest that the iFootage tripod and head are very well made and I am satisfied with their performance. Based on my own experience I don't think you would go wrong with the iFootage gear.

Nick2021

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 3:50 am

The complaints I've heard about Ifootage are about the head. But the legs seem well liked in the price range.

I have the Ifootage monopod and if you don't need a full tripod I can't imagine living without it.

ShaheedMalik

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 4:07 am

I would go with a Benro if you aren't getting a Sacthler.

Justinp008

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 7:56 am

robedge wrote:Hi Justin,

I think it’s unlikely that anyone here knows anything about the tripods that you’re talking about. As I understand it, that iFootage is no longer made, and SmallRig is fairly new to making video tripods.

I suggest that you read the following thread. It was started in September and was revived by someone else, taking a somewhat different direction, in January: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=188356

The January revival includes some discussion about the SmallRig tripod you’re considering, and about a newer iFootage tripod. The iFootage has been recommended by a highly experienced participant in this forum. There’s also discussion about relatively inexpensive Manfrotto options that are widely used (most people here have probably owned one of these options) and that are inexpensive second-hand.
Thanks Rob,
Very much appreciated!
Best
Justin

Justinp008

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 7:58 am

oceanus wrote:I don't have experience with the particular equipment that you mention, Justin, however I do have an iFootage#TC7 Fast Bowl Tripod and the Komodo K7 Fluid Head, which I have used with my Panasonic cameras, as well as the BMPCC 4K, for several years. I can attest that the iFootage tripod and head are very well made and I am satisfied with their performance. Based on my own experience I don't think you would go wrong with the iFootage gear.
Thank you!

Justinp008

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 7:59 am

Johannes Jonsson wrote:If I were getting tripod head and leg I would not hesitate going for Sachtler systems.
I have been using my Sachtler´s in heavy use in all kind of situations for tens of years without a single problem with any of them.
Like my old and loyal Sachtler Video 18 with carbon legs witch I use the far most and really often in really harsh conditions is still my favorite one and still is 100%.
But there are of course others like Miller, Vinten and other good quality ones to take a look at.

It of course depends on your need what you will go for but I would seriously take a look at Ace and Flowtech from Sachtler if you are looking for lower mid priced systems.
If you are spending money on those thing I would spend them well by making the right choice, look at is as a investment.

I have tested other in lower and mid priced brands but never found what I am happy to use.
This is just my personal opinion from m experience thought and does not mean that there are no other choices than Sachtler, Miller and Vinten.
Thanks Johannes!

Johannes Jonsson

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 8:38 am

robedge wrote:

Right, let’s just completely ignore Justin’s statement that he’s on a budget and the cost range of the tripods he’s specifically named :)

It is a fact that a participant in this forum who has decades of experience as a professional cinematographer, and whose video and still photography is of very high quality, has recommended one of iFootage’s current video tripods.

The link is in the post right above yours. Have you read what he says?

It’s real easy for me to tell Justin to buy the Miller that I own. Has nothing to do with his budget, and I have no idea what he needs, if anything, in terms of pans and tilts, but a Miller works for me so he should buy one.

The same thing happened in the thread that I posted above. People recommended tripods that cost hundreds of dollars more than the poster budgeted. They all had amnesia about the Manfrotto that they started out with. Had they asked, or done a basic internet search, they would have learnt that the poster is a high school student who’s making pretty interesting narrative short films. Great message. Don’t bother with video unless you have a lot of money.

He does not mention what the budge is but yes I see now that he does mention his two choices.
By no mean I meant to ignore his statement, I were on the run between shots when I posted and did not notice that part.
My point was don´t save to much and think about it as investment was to make him aware.
But if I had noticed those choices I would of course not recommend Sachtler Ace and Flowtech as a budge system.
Johannes

Johannes Jonsson

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 9:10 am

Justinp008 wrote:

Thanks Johannes!

I apologize Justin
I were on the run when i read your post and did not notice those two choices you mentioned you had to choice between.
That was not my intention to sound arrogant at all but as rightfully pointed out it did for sure.
It was an honest mistake
Johannes

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 2:22 pm

ShaheedMalik

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 6:50 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:New review from a trusted source:
https://www.newsshooter.com/2024/03/31/ ... it-review/

The head is always the fault at lower cost systems..

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 8:21 pm

Is there a better head for similar money than the Komodo K7?
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

robedge

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 8:43 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:Is there a better head for similar money than the Komodo K7?

Retired cinematographer Peter McLennan has written a few posts about his iFootage tripod, starting with this one on December 1st:

In other hardware news, I just traded in a Sachtler Ace M tripod and head for an iFootage setup.

The old tripod and head was noisy, heavy, clumsy and it pinched my fingers. Twice!

The new setup is half the weight, delightful to set up and the head performs better than the Sachtler. And that's saying something. I used to own a Sachtler Studio 7 that cost $10K in the late eighties.

This iFootage system works a treat with the 120mm lens. That lens is deceptively long and demands good operating.

This is what he’s talking about:

ifootage.jpg
ifootage.jpg (119.72 KiB) Viewed 2996 times

robedge

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 9:23 pm

Since people are intent on talking about Sachtler...

One reason that I purchased the Australian-designed and locally manufactured Miller is that Sachtler is actually owned by a budding British conglomerate that owns about 25 photo industry companies, and makes its money by bleeding its designs for as long as possible, while manufacturing its tripods and related products on the backs of cheap labour in Latin America, probably made even cheaper by local “incentives". Unsurprisingly, Sachtler keeps flogging the Ace way past its sell-by date.

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 10:18 pm

robedge wrote:

Retired cinematographer Peter McLennan has written a few posts about his iFootage tripod, starting with this one on December 1st:

In other hardware news, I just traded in a Sachtler Ace M tripod and head for an iFootage setup.

The old tripod and head was noisy, heavy, clumsy and it pinched my fingers. Twice!

The new setup is half the weight, delightful to set up and the head performs better than the Sachtler. And that's saying something. I used to own a Sachtler Studio 7 that cost $10K in the late eighties.

This iFootage system works a treat with the 120mm lens. That lens is deceptively long and demands good operating.

ifootage.jpg
Yup. I read that and was so impressed that I bought it. I find the head to be just OK. Also the drag isn’t adjustable. It’s either locked or not locked. I have no explanation for the wide divergence of his experience and mine. To me a Sachtler is a dream in comparison. Has anyone else tried it and had a different experience?
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6

robedge

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 10:58 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:I have no explanation for the wide divergence of his [Peter’s] experience and mine.

Experience?

Peter doesn’t talk about his work, but I’ve seen some of it. I think that he can probably get more out of a given fluid head than most people, and that owning an expensive head won't make one as good a camera operator as he is.
Last edited by robedge on Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 11:04 pm

Yeah I figured you’d say that.
Just the same I can feel the difference.
No adjustable drag being equal to a Sachtler head?
That’s why I asked for others’ personal experiences.
Resolve 18.6.6

Justinp008

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 12:50 am

Johannes Jonsson wrote:
Justinp008 wrote:

Thanks Johannes!

I apologize Justin
I were on the run when i read your post and did not notice those two choices you mentioned you had to choice between.
That was not my intention to sound arrogant at all but as rightfully pointed out it did for sure.
It was an honest mistake
No apologies necessary. Everything helps in terms of learning for the future. Maybe next tripod! Thanks Justin

Justinp008

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 12:51 am

robedge wrote:

ifootage.jpg
Thanks Rob - this is brilliant. Best Justin

Justinp008

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 12:53 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:
robedge wrote:

ifootage.jpg
Yup. I read that and was so impressed that I bought it. I find the head to be just OK. Also the drag isn’t adjustable. It’s either locked or not locked. I have no explanation for the wide divergence of his experience and mine. To me a Sachtler is a dream in comparison. Has anyone else tried it and had a different experience?
Thanks Joe. This adds more complexity to my decision but appreciate it. Best Justin

Nick2021

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 5:03 am

The only thing in the price range is something like the Manfrotto 502. The 608 would be more than kit including the Ifootage legs.

At that price if you want better quality the option is to look at used .

rick.lang

Video Tripod Advice

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 5:14 am

I frequently shoot with the Manfrotto 502 with the UM4.6K fully rigged about 23 pounds. The weight is on the heavy side so it can struggle a bit but should be fine with the BMPCC6K cameras in a lighter rig.
Rick Lang

Justinp008

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 1:43 am

rick.lang wrote:I frequently shoot with the Manfrotto 502 with the UM4.6K fully rigged about 23 pounds. The weight is on the heavy side so it can struggle a bit but should be fine with the BMPCC6K cameras in a lighter rig.
Thanks Rick,
Much appreciated.
Best
Justin

Uli Plank

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 1:58 am

If money is tight, you can always go second hand for a well treated tripod. They last longer than any modern camera ;-)
That said, Benro is not bad for the budget-challenged cinematographer.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 3:05 am

In selecting a tripod, budget is always a prime concern. You can spend $20,000 on the best fluid head and sticks and I suppose you could spend $200 that will work for some use cases.

A
If the need is to hold the camera rig in place, locked off, almost any option that’s designed for the weight of the rig will suffice.

B
If the need is to pan, you need a better quality. A pan isn’t just a simple horizontal rotation. The pan must stay in place without a backlash. The head needs to dampen the panning movement and hold the desired position but that is helped if the operator holds the pan for a few seconds so the fluid has time to settle at the new position.

C
If the need is to tilt, you need even better quality. Holding the desired position on the vertical axis as in use case B but this becomes more difficult as the centre of gravity shifts through the movement; the head can have continuous counterbalance or stepped counterbalance (more steps is better but continuos might be best depending on the head).

D
Perhaps one of the more difficult movements is diagonal so you are panning and tilting at the same time. Depending on your drag settings etc this is a real mark of the skillful operator. Too much damping and it’s physically a challenge to time the movement but too little damping makes the movement easier but it might not hold the position. A gearhead is designed for this type of control.

E
Support for ‘trick’ shots like the dutch angle and other effects that may even require the camera be on a boom and use speciality controls. Way beyond the norm.
Rick Lang

mickspixels

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 11:34 am

rick.lang wrote:In selecting a tripod, budget is always a prime concern. You can spend $20,000 on the best fluid head and sticks and I suppose you could spend $200 that will work for some use cases.

A
If the need is to hold the camera rig in place, locked off, almost any option that’s designed for the weight of the rig will suffice.

B
If the need is to pan, you need a better quality. A pan isn’t just a simple horizontal rotation. The pan must stay in place without a backlash. The head needs to dampen the panning movement and hold the desired position but that is helped if the operator holds the pan for a few seconds so the fluid has time to settle at the new position.

C
If the need is to tilt, you need even better quality. Holding the desired position on the vertical axis as in use case B but this becomes more difficult as the centre of gravity shifts through the movement; the head can have continuous counterbalance or stepped counterbalance (more steps is better but continuos might be best depending on the head).

That's a great summary thanks Rick. As a photographer dabbling in video, by far the biggest challenge for me has been incorporating movement into my outdoor videos. I bought the Manfrotto 502 that you mention above a few years ago and found it very difficult to get smooth pans and tilts. It's also too heavy for me to carry when walking in the countryside. More recently I got a light (and relatively inexpensive by the standards in this thread) Gitzo head that Rob Edge recommended in another thread and I am having more success with that on a photography tripod but still not perfect. More practice needed for sure.

I won't be investing 4 figure sums in a tripod for my current and likely future usage but this thread certainly puts things in perspective.

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 1:43 pm

I agree with you re the Manfrotto. When I try the tilt and the diagonal movements, sometimes it’s too sticky but sometimes I manage a smooth shot. It’s challenging as my rig is heavy. Far from ideal and nothing you want to take for a hike.
Rick Lang

Johannes Jonsson

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 2:00 pm

rick.lang wrote:I frequently shoot with the Manfrotto 502 with the UM4.6K fully rigged about 23 pounds. The weight is on the heavy side so it can struggle a bit but should be fine with the BMPCC6K cameras in a lighter rig.

I have one Manfrotto 316 fluid head witch I never liked, had a problem with it where I needed to turn the head like 20 times both ways to be able to get smooth pan.
Used it maybe 5-10 times for second cam but mainly it sits unused in my storage room, grabbing it for static cameras now and then thought.
have you run into that with your 502?
Johannes

IstvanOnFire

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 6:16 pm

I have this from Rollei, looks very similar to Smallrig tripod you mentioned
- very robust and heavy
- smooth movement of head
https://www.rollei.de/collections/videostative/products/videostativ-22722

so I would buy the Smallrig one..

rick.lang

Video Tripod Advice

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 6:49 pm

Johannes Jonsson wrote:… I needed to turn the head like 20 times both ways to be able to get smooth pan…

That’s an interesting reasonable suggestion. I’ll incorporate that pan and tilt warmup procedure for my next client shoot Saturday, just before I’m recording with the UM4.6K.
Rick Lang

Johannes Jonsson

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 9:29 am

That is my exsact thought, something with the fluid to thick when cold or something like that. Please inform me if that also works for you.
Johannes

Michel Rabe

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 9:46 am

There's always the rubber band trick for smoother pans :)

Johannes Jonsson

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 10:33 am

Michel Rabe wrote:There's always the rubber band trick for smoother pans :)

The problem with the mentioned head above is a flaw with the fluid inside the head witch the rubber band trick does not help with sadly.

But still yeah the rubber band trick is a need trick in itself :)
Johannes

John Griffin

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 9:56 am

The term 'fluid head' is also misleading as unless you spend serious money you are just buying friction heads which operate by having various flat plates seperated by grease to provide the drag. AFAIK Miller is the inventor of the true fluid head which works on a different priciple although they may have licenced it to other manufacturers.

John Griffin

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 9:59 am

Also if you want smooth and predictable camera movement then isn't the modern and cheaper way to do it electonicaly with a gimbal ?

Justinp008

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 10:10 am

Thanks All,
Really appreciate your input and advice.

I’m looking for a tripod (below $500) that can support a kessler pocket jib traveler with a BMPC6k pro and canon ef macro 100mm lens and keep it super stable as with the macro shots any shake is very noticeable in scene.
The kessler pocket jib traveler guide says its ideal is one with a 100mm bowl or with 75mm with bowl locked out. The reason I want something super stable is that I tried using a manfrotto element mii with an e-image pocket jib and it had serious issues with stablity/side shake even with weights on the jib and under the tripod - i think due to the screws on jib not being able to be tightened in a way that averts the shake without restricting jib movement. Hope that helps a bit in terms of the advice I’m looking for. Thank you again for all your help.
Best
Justin

Johannes Jonsson

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 10:35 am

Justinp008 wrote:Thanks All,

I’m looking for a tripod (below $500) that can support a kessler pocket jib traveler with a BMPC6k pro and canon ef macro 100mm lens and keep it super stable as with the macro shots any shake is very noticeable in scene.
The kessler pocket jib traveler guide says its ideal is one with a 100mm bowl or with 75mm with bowl locked out. The reason I want something super stable is that I tried using a manfrotto element mii with an e-image pocket jib and it had serious issues with stablity/side shake even with weights on the jib and under the tripod - i think due to the screws on jib not being able to be tightened in a way that averts the shake without restricting jib movement. Hope that helps a bit in terms of the advice I’m looking for. Thank you again for all your help.
Best
Justin

I am curious just to be clear on this, you mentioned macro so what is that you will be shooting, does it involve moving the JIB in some way in shots or will it be static?
Johannes

Justinp008

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 10:40 am

Johannes Jonsson wrote:

Best
Justin

I am curious, you mentioned macro so what is that you will be shooting, does it involve moving the JIB in some way in shots or will it be static?
Hi Johannes,
Moving the jib. I can post the previous shot tomorrow so you can see what I mean. It’s essentially a vertical tracking shot that follows a glass being filled with beer. Ie it follows the top of the liquid/beer foam head as it slowly travels up inside the beer glass. Hope that makes sense. It’s a fun shot! I do plan to use it for other movements and close up macro movement shots as well.
Best
Justin

Johannes Jonsson

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 11:02 am

Justinp008 wrote:
Johannes Jonsson wrote:

Best
Justin

I am curious, you mentioned macro so what is that you will be shooting, does it involve moving the JIB in some way in shots or will it be static?
Hi Johannes,
Moving the jib. I can post the previous shot tomorrow so you can see what I mean. It’s essentially a vertical tracking shot that follows a glass being filled with beer. Ie it follows the top of the liquid/beer foam head as it slowly travels up inside the beer glass. Hope that makes sense. It’s a fun shot! I do plan to use it for other movements and close up macro movement shots as well.
Best
Justin

Ok I see now, for that I suppose you want the jib fully extended to keep the distance as similar as possible from bottom to top because having to short jib will cause more change in the distance from the glass.
But do you have by any chance have access to a small slider?
That way you can by having it vertically positioned you will keep the exact same distance all the way and less risk of shaking. Motorized slider would be ideal if possible but still doing it manually is for sure possible.
Johannes

Justinp008

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 11:12 am

Johannes Jonsson wrote:
Justinp008 wrote:
Johannes Jonsson wrote:[quote="Justinp008"]Thanks All,

Best
Justin

Hi Johannes,
Best
Justin

Ok I see now, for that I suppose you want the jib fully extended to keep the distance as similar as possible from bottom to top because having to short jib will cause more change in the distance from the glass.
But do you have by any chance have access to a small slider?
That way you can by having it vertically positioned you will keep the exact same distance all the way and less risk of shaking. Motorized slider would be ideal if possible but still doing it manually is for sure possible.[/quote]Thanks Johannes,
Yes - tried the motorized slider route. The issue is that the slider can’t handle the weight of the bmpc6k pro + macro lens. When tracking upwards it slips and also makes it much harder to time the beer pour. Whereas with the manual jib you can manually follow the beer pour as it happens. (Getting the beer pour right is a whole other story..) Just fyi - the sliders I tried were the neewer slider which is great but struggles under the weight. I was also able to borrow an ifootage motorized shark slider which had the same problem - thus moved to a jib. It’s why I’m looking for a recommendation on decent tripod as the manfrotto element mkii was not ideal with the jib i was using. Any sub $500 tripod suggestions for the kessler pocket jib traveler (I’ve just ordered one) welcome.
Thanks again.
Justin

Howard Roll

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 11:37 am

To me “travel jib” is something of a myth. The lightest configuration, without a tripod, is pushing 10+lbs. Add a few more if there’s a head at the smart end of the jib.

Lightweight photo tripods weren’t designed to withstand the torque of damped fluid head pans let alone the forces multiplied by a 3 foot lever. At the same time there’s a threshold of diminishing returns regarding rigidity, travel jibs utilize a kind of sloppy stasis that requires a light touch with any tripod.

I’d be looking for a classic twin tube ENG style tripod with 75mm bowl, mid-level spreader, and at least 20+lb rating.

Good Luck

Justinp008

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 11:58 am

Howard Roll wrote:To me “travel jib” is something of a myth. The lightest configuration, without a tripod, is pushing 10+lbs. Add a few more if there’s a head at the smart end of the jib.

Lightweight photo tripods weren’t designed to withstand the torque of damped fluid head pans let alone the forces multiplied by a 3 foot lever. At the same time there’s a threshold of diminishing returns regarding rigidity, travel jibs utilize a kind of sloppy stasis that requires a light touch with any tripod.

I’d be looking for a classic twin tube ENG style tripod with 75mm bowl, mid-level spreader, and at least 20+lb rating.

Good Luck
Thanks Howard,
This is the exact advice I was looking for.
Best
Justin

Next

Return to Cinematography