MICRO 4k G2 Remote control options/ updates?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

paul ross jones

MICRO 4k G2 Remote control options/ updates?

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 4:59 am

hi, I know there has been this asked before on the forums-with the solution using the ATEM .

But I want to use a micro for all sorts of unusual camera placement. For underwater remote camera, mounting on a car, etc. The ATEM is an clunky way to control for this- and probably unusable as I need small and modifiable.
What would be involved with making a wired (it could be wireless) start/stop plus a few basic camera controls?
Like one little goat controller for the previous models.

If so, would you control through the SDI? Or Hdmi? Hdmi is very limited distance .

Also- has BM confirmed the micro has bluetooth? I have teh original micro and the menu and front buttons are a terrible design- it would be amazing to have a bluetooth controller with an IOS device like I use my URSA and Pocket.

Cheers Paul

Richard Knight

Re: MICRO 4k G2 Remote control options/ updates?

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 9:34 am

+1

Viktor Laga

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 2:34 pm

I would currently assume, that the Ethernet connection + REST API would be the simplest way to do so.

Using some ESP32 with onboard Ethernet to the camera. Having this in place Bluetooth or Wifi control interfaces should be simple, also directly connected buttons should be simple. Under water could be more challenging, as wireless protocols won't work.

paul ross jones

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 8:37 pm

Viktor Laga wrote:I would currently assume, that the Ethernet connection + REST API would be the simplest way to do so.

Using some ESP32 with onboard Ethernet to the camera. Having this in place Bluetooth or Wifi control interfaces should be simple, also directly connected buttons should be simple. Under water could be more challenging, as wireless protocols won't work.

thanks Viktor. Using a ESP32 and ethernet is a bit past my low tech brain. I can make a LED flash with Arduino but thats the far as I have gone! Happy to pay some one to help setup a simple ethernet control.
What do you mean - direct buttons- is it UW push buttons on a housing? I really need a remote control from a few meter away at least. Cheers Paul

paul ross jones

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 2:30 am

Can anyone help? I would live with just start/stop record as I remote control an aperture and focus ring separately. I cant see annoying about Lanc.

I really need to solve this issue. Otherwise my only 4k option for what I need is a naked Blackmagic pocket housed. The micro would suit better...

cheers Paul

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 4:45 am

You could connect the "clean feed" SDI output of the Micro Studio Camera 4K G2 to a Video Assist 5” 12G HDR or Video Assist 7” 12G HDR and record externally. Start/stop the VA recording on the VA itself. In other words, the camera would be used as a camera head, not as a camcorder. Note: The VA does NOT act as a remote control for a camera, it only records a camera's live signal.

Howard Roll

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

Maybe I'm being captain obvious here but Blackmagic makes a set of zoom/focus demands that are compatible with the G2, focus, iris, zoom, start/stop, af, ae, bunch of other stuff.

Good Luck

ShaheedMalik

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 4:00 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Maybe I'm being captain obvious here but Blackmagic makes a set of zoom/focus demands that are compatible with the G2, focus, iris, zoom, start/stop, af, ae, bunch of other stuff.

Good Luck

They are rather large. We need some smaller options.

paul ross jones

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 8:31 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:You could connect the "clean feed" SDI output of the Micro Studio Camera 4K G2 to a Video Assist 5” 12G HDR or Video Assist 7” 12G HDR and record externally. Start/stop the VA recording on the VA itself. In other words, the camera would be used as a camera head, not as a camcorder. Note: The VA does NOT act as a remote control for a camera, it only records a camera's live signal.

thanks, I didnt think of this. But keen to use my existing monitors if I can.

paul ross jones

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 9:14 am

Howard Roll wrote:Maybe I'm being captain obvious here but Blackmagic makes a set of zoom/focus demands that are compatible with the G2, focus, iris, zoom, start/stop, af, ae, bunch of other stuff.

Good Luck

Hi , I saw these, but I couldn't find the record control or anything else except the obvious focus and zoom for each? but looking at this again, the focus demand only seems to control focus, but the zoom can use the toggle switch for zoom or focus, and the buttons can be allocated to functions.

oceanus

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 5:07 pm

Viktor Laga wrote:I would currently assume, that the Ethernet connection + REST API would be the simplest way to do so.

Yes, wireless controls do not generally work underwater, but this is actually "Yes and No". Wireless CAN work with the correct set up. Please watch the following YouTube post to find out how to do it:

I shoot underwater a lot, and am currently building an underwater housing for my BMPCC 4K so that I can shoot with it underwater. I have tested the method shown in the YouTube post, above, and it works. I used the Bluetooth+ app to operate all of the controls on the P4K, via an iPhone. The iPhone is housed in the same type of housing shown in the above mentioned video. The same company that makes that UW housing, also sells a cable to make the wireless connection possible. But using the method from shown in the above video, I made a workable cable myself with a short piece of coaxial cable, bared at the ends and waterproofed. I also have a recent post in which I'm asking a question about remote power on/off, because this is the only function that I really need to access, since I can do everything else with the iPhone app.

paul ross jones

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 7:36 pm

oceanus wrote:

Yes, wireless controls do not generally work underwater, but this is actually "Yes and No". Wireless CAN work with the correct set up. Please watch the following YouTube post to find out how to do it:

I shoot underwater a lot, and am currently building an underwater housing for my BMPCC 4K so that I can shoot with it underwater. I have tested the method shown in the YouTube post, above, and it works. I used the Bluetooth+ app to operate all of the controls on the P4K, via an iPhone. The iPhone is housed in the same type of housing shown in the above mentioned video. The same company that makes that UW housing, also sells a cable to make the wireless connection possible. But using the method from shown in the above video, I made a workable cable myself with a short piece of coaxial cable, bared at the ends and waterproofed. I also have a recent post in which I'm asking a question about remote power on/off, because this is the only function that I really need to access, since I can do everything else with the iPhone app.

I came across this too a while back. I also found people who would run a wire to control go-pro through bluetooth or wifi (cant remember which) and the signal went from housing to a control through with a wire quite a distance , I think around 30m was tested. But I have a but of a love hate thing going with any iPhone/iPad control of cameras in various situations- they always cause problems- especially when the pressure is on during a shoot. I would much prefer simple, more direct wired control. the BM zoom controller looks like possible option- and theres good IP68 + connectors that are affordable and easy (unlike HDMI). I think USB can convert to ethernet with converters for extra distance.

Howard Roll

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 11:13 pm

Ethernet control is good for 100s of feet but I don’t think usbc-cat-usbc is going to work with the demands. Probably worth a support inquiry. You could also ask on the live production sub, maybe Gary Adam’s will pop in with an answer as he does on occasion.

Good Luck

oceanus

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 12:03 am

paul ross jones wrote:
oceanus wrote:

I came across this too a while back. I also found people who would run a wire to control go-pro through bluetooth or wifi (cant remember which) and the signal went from housing to a control through with a wire quite a distance , I think around 30m was tested. But I have a but of a love hate thing going with any iPhone/iPad control of cameras in various situations- they always cause problems- especially when the pressure is on during a shoot. I would much prefer simple, more direct wired control. the BM zoom controller looks like possible option- and theres good IP68 + connectors that are affordable and easy (unlike HDMI). I think USB can convert to ethernet with converters for extra distance.

It certainly is true that keeping it simple is better, agreed. Between production pressures, AND being underwater, things can get tricky and out of hand, fast. In my case I'm pretty much a one man band, so I don't have to deal with the responsibilities of having a big crew down in downtime. That said, I need to rely on this system to work, especially if I travel overseas with it. I think it should work OK since I've seen it work for others, and I have already tested it myself, but I will also have back up just in case. Heck, the iPhone itself in its housing is a pretty decent camera. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas about how well a remote power on/off would work I'd love to hear them. (My tentative plans are to have the P4K connected to an aux. battery in the housing, leave it on, and install a push button on/off on the power cable. I do not know if there are any potential negative issues with that way of powering on/off). Any ideas would be appreciated. Best wishes with your solutions too.

Nick Heydon

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 8:15 am

It seems crazy that this camera, of all of them, doesn't have Bluetooth. It's more or less designed to go in hard to reach places. Is there such a thing as an ethernet - bluetooth adapter?

I'm looking for a third camera to put up high and shoot with a couple pockets, and would love to be able to start / stop them all with the Bluetooth+ app

oceanus

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:22 pm

By the way, I'm sharing here about what I asked BM support regarding my posted question about a remote on/off, (that is, leaving the camera power switch on, and using an on/off switch on the power cable to the aux. battery.)

This is the reply from BM support:

"Thank you for reaching out about this particular workflow.

I reached out to a repair technician and they did express some concerns with that workflow.

If you leave the power switch on by default, and use a remote switch to turn it on or off, then you may short the power module.

This is something we do not recommend doing."

Return to Cinematography