BM Camera App v1.3 - Video Preview is Stabilized / Delayed

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ceagleston

BM Camera App v1.3 - Video Preview is Stabilized / Delayed

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 10:38 pm

Hi Blackmagic Support,

Your iOS app is great and essential to my workflow, but the v1.3 update breaks the video capturing functionality in a really bad way on the iPhone 15 Pro Max. I already Tweeted a video demonstrating the problem here:

twitter.com /chriseagleston/status/1778080747540435054

Edit: Can't post URLs ...

In the latest update, and on a 15 Pro Max video preview is fully stabilized (with 1/4 second delay) while capturing. This makes it virtually impossible to use the 5x lens handheld as any movements are exaggerated. Notably, the pre-roll video is not stabilized and not delayed. This is how previous versions of the app looked while capturing...

I like that you added new features but not at the expense of basic functionality - the ability to shoot handheld with the iPhone's builtin stabilization.

Your phone support refused to help with app issues, and will not answer my Tweets or emails. I was told that the developers of the app monitor this page and might be able to help.

Please help fix the core functionality of your app on the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Thanks,
Chris

patriciac

Blackmagic Design

Re: BM Camera App v1.3 - Video Preview is Stabilized / Delay

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 11:16 am

Which release version are you comparing with and are you using same settings in both versions?
What are some of your settings:
- stabilisation mode
- zebra/peaking/false color
- LUT

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 8:02 am

Hi Chris. Thank you for the report.

As we understand, you are reporting a delay btw the phone movement and camera viewfinder - Could you let us know which stabilisation mode are you using and which old version are you comparing it with. 1.1 or 1.2

Also, can you check if this issue goes away if you turn off the zebra lines?
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

indigogo

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 7:39 pm

Rohit Singhal wrote:Hi Chris. Thank you for the report.

As we understand, you are reporting a delay btw the phone movement and camera viewfinder - Could you let us know which stabilisation mode are you using and which old version are you comparing it with. 1.1 or 1.2

Also, can you check if this issue goes away if you turn off the zebra lines?

iPhone 15 pro Max, 50 fps angle 180 4K H.256, standard stabilization, apple log, with and without LUT enabled - the latest update added image jerks during monitoring with medium, fast movements, and in the video review you can see jerks and something like a strobe. This has never happened before...
In the standard iPhone application - at 30 and 60 fps everything is smooth
I tried in Blackmagic cam changing it to 60 fps, there are fewer jerks, but they are still there.

Maybe I missed something or some setting has a problem, who came across? Or an update bug?

Updated app in iPhone 11 pro Max - same problem..!

Yes, this can be regarded as a delay in the form of interruptions and this is visible at an average speed of camera movement left and right or vertically up and down

This can also be seen when watching the video recording!

I uninstalled the app and installed it again with default settings - the problem is still there!
Bring back the happiness of using the app without this terrible problem!!!

Clarified - with stabilization disabled, the problem is still there!

Return to Cinematography