PYXIS 6K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Re: PYXIS 6K

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:30 am

joe12south wrote:
Norman Lang wrote:I wonder how people would react if the camera was released with the same side screen which only contained the menus. No live video or playback.
After all, this is the “cube-ish” format everyone wanted so they could build it out into a professional rig, with monitors, rods, matte boxes etc.
That would eliminate any criticism of the so-called mistake of putting a monitor on the side of the camera, because it’s just a very nice looking and very functional menu! Then people would not have to worry about looking at images on the side of the camera. They would look at their rigged up monitor! Just like every owner of a box camera has to do.

This person would have loved that. That space and cost could have been used for, say, built-in NDs or full sized XLRs or a variety of things I would have found more useful since I will 100% have to attach an external screen (either EVF or monitor) anyhow.

I’m of the same opinion. As one of the proponents in this forum screaming at BMD for a box form factor camera, I almost got my wish. Now I have to wait and see what the G2 model will be like. Hopefully, like all past models, when the G2 comes out it will cost less as well.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Yannick Willox

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 6:11 am

I dont get it either.

BMD should have made the side screen moveable, no hinge, but like any external monitor. Then connect it with their usbc cable.

Then complaints would come in, the cable will break, no more control over the camera etc. and it would add exactly the cost of a nice external screen anyway.

Seems like dogs chasing their own tails …

I agree, if the side screen only had menus, there was no issue.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 9:51 am

Howard Roll wrote:It’s bigger than I thought it would be. The Pyxis is 50% larger than the Komodo and twice the size/weight of the BS1H that shares a similar sensor.

Flippy screen is a missed op given the proprietary viewfinder connection, hopefully a new Video Assist with camera control is in the works. A single SDI output is a bummer when you need to feed Video Village/wireless and see what you’re shooting. SRT streaming is cool but that workflow needs to be developed for VTR.

Full size ethernet is a bonus, genlock as well. Dual CFE, sweet.

This thing is probably awesome for flipping 90 and shooting vertical.

I’d have preferred Micro V-Lock over yet another proprietary battery system.

So Blackmagic cams aren’t doing Prores anymore? Unfortunate.

Good Luck

Howard posted the above a few days ago, and I think it’s one of the best takes on the PYXIS.

I think the built-in LCD should have been a bright 4” high-contrast B&W status-type display for the menu UI _ONLY_ (not video). Then take $75-$100 off the camera’s list price.

Since the USB-C ports output video, data & power: Blackmagic should put the 1500 nit COLOR LCD in a new, thin, inexpensive touchscreen monitor with a sturdy, detachable magic arm, and one of the new USB-video/data/power ports. The cam’s UI & color video would display on this external monitor. I simply can’t believe this would be difficult or expensive for Blackmagic to do.

The cam should definitely have _2_ XLR audio inputs. It’s great that maybe the USB-C _might_ allow for optional audio interfacing, but that’s no excuse not to include 2 XLRs on the cam itself.

In addition to the current PYXIS models, I hope Blackmagic will consider making a version of the PYXIS with the exact same features & functionality as a Pocket Camera 6K Pro. IOW, with the Super 35 (APS-C) size sensor, EF lens mount, built-in NDs, BRAW & ProRes, dual XLRs, etc. ____BUT____ crucially also include an _HDMI_ output that can switch between 4K & HD! This “PYXIS 35” or whatever they’d want to call it would sell for maybe a couple hundred dollars less than the current PYXIS. Again, I don’t know why this wouldn’t be possible, and I think it would be very popular.

Last thought for now: A rhetorical question: Why is the PYXIS as big as it is? I bet it’s currently relatively empty inside. But my guess for the reason for its size is to make room for a larger cooling system & electronics to support a future “G2” version improved sensor with higher frame rates and more dynamic range.

Cheers.

shebbe

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 10:03 am

I don't know about the internals and the way they're placed of course. But as mentioned a smaller menu only screen could in my mind potentially make place for the dual card slots on the side which would probably make room to fit mini V mount instead.

I can't think of a scenario where you'd want to look at your screen to see what the camera sees while operating it. So it's just a way to big screen just to access settings.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Michel Rabe

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 am

Well the side screen alone adds most of the length.

Comparing to the Panasonic BS1H, ZCam F6, Kinefinity Mavo Edge 6K, they're all smaller and two are significantly lighter (1/3 and 1/2 the weigh).

NAB reviews indicate the Pyxis has a nice, sturdy metal body, though.

Michel Rabe

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 10:31 am

shebbe wrote:So it's just a way to big screen just to access settings.

Agree, a large, bright screen just for menu access remains a weird design choice, also because it is perceived as mostly a lost opportunity (to make it usable for actual filming, too).

But I guess BMD thought that their (fantastic) GUI needs a certain screen size to be used comfortably, which probably led to that decision.

ShaheedMalik

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 am

It's a big screen for settings, viewing framing, and previous clips.

Ryan Earl

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 12:04 pm

I have a Komodo, and can see the Pyxis side screen as more useful than the top screen on Komodo. I like that Pyxis vents through the top as well. The side venting on Komodo is annoying.

When I put a top handle on Komodo and baseplate I'm always peering over to get access to the top screen to adjust a menu item. I have to work my hand under the handle and the touch screen is too small. I love that Pyxis has it built into the side and it can double as a monitor to pull focus.

The connection to the flip screen is what went bad on my URSA Mini, maybe from too much opening and closing. I like that I don't have to flip out the screen on Pyxis just to adjust the touch screen menu. I feel like this extends the usable life for me. The plastic touch flip out screens are not great for heavy use especially if it is bumped or pushed with too much force.

It also seems nice that when you are holding Pyxis from the top handle (in your right hand) you will be able to adjust menu items with your left hand as you stabilize it. I like that they returned to soft buttons and that will feel like you pressed it fully when you do press them.

I think the design is excellent and suits a lot of day to day needs that I have.

joe12south

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 12:43 pm

shebbe wrote:I can't think of a scenario where you'd want to look at your screen to see what the camera sees while operating it. So it's just a way to big screen just to access settings.

I can think of scenarios in which I could monitor with it in a pinch, but I can't think of any scenarios in which I'd WANT to use it exclusively.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

joe12south

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 2:33 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:I find the discussion really hilarious... :D

So many people have been whining for the last few years that BMD doesn't have a box camera (although they did with several models).

In the forum, someone had even demanded that BMD release something like this, because as buyer of a Pocket he would have the right to it (yes, the argument was actually that absurd).

Also the "cheap plastic housing" of the Pockets was repeatedly criticized - although this is one of the main reasons for the low weight.

Then comes a new camera in box form, instead of plastic now an aluminum/magnesium alloy.

Now people are complaining because the camera is too heavy. And because an external monitor would have to be rigged (if the camera - like the other BMD box models - had no monitor at all, there would have been no complaints?)

But if you rig the PYXIS with a sidegrip etc. for handheld shooting, then you're actually back to the pocket format anyway.

People used to moan about the LPE6 batteries, then about the NPF batteries, now you can use the 14.4 volt BP-U batteries - and people are moaning again.

With the C300, for example, nobody gets upset - the battery hangs in there in a very similar way. With the Sony FX6 you also have to retrofit the V-mount battery with a plate and holder - nobody gets upset.

Let's take the Panasonic Lumix DC-BGH1E (545g body only):
No monitor at all
XLR dock (optional)
Panasonic battery also in the back
No RAW <- correction, external RAW was added through a firmware update
MicroFourThird sensor 10.2 MP
no internal ND
Or the Panasonic LUMIX BS1H (585g body only):
No monitor at all
XLR dock (optional)
Panasonic battery also in the back
external only: RAW video data output for Atomos Ninja V / Blackmagic Video Assist 12G HDR
24.2 MP full-frame sensor
no internal ND

Or the Canon EOS C70 (1,190g body only):
internal ND
Super35 26.2 x 13.8 mm with 4096 x 2160px
no RAW<- correction, internal RAW was added through a firmware update
Body made of carbon fiber polycarbonate (The evil CHEAP PLASTIC!)
Canon BPA battery also in the back
two mini XLR connectors, 3.5 mm mini jack, on the left side of the housing
hardly any rigging points
only 1 HDMI output
no SDI
rather DSLR form factor
RF mount only (without lock)
3.5-inch screen, foldable, top left
no EVF

Or the Sony FX3 (640g body only):
external only: RAW via HDMI
E-mount only (without lock)
3 inch screen, foldable, left
no EVF
extra XLR dock on the top handle
only 1 HDMI output
no SDI
rather DSLR form factor
35 mm 4K 10.2 MP sensor

Or Sony FX6 (890g body only)
only comes with the evil BP-U battery
12G SDI output
HDMI output
35 mm full frame sensor 35.7 x 18.8mm 4.2K, pixel pitch 8.32µm
variable electronic ND, internal

Or RED KOMODO 6K (950g body only):
19.9 MP Super 35mm Global Shutter CMOS 27.03 mm x 14.26 mm 6144 x 3240 px
internal RAW
RF mount only
Screen on top, fixed
no XLR, only 3.5 mm jack
1x 12G SDI
no HDMI
2x Canon BP 7.2V battery
no internal ND

EDIT:
Corrected two camera feature errors brought to my attention

You left out what I think many people would consider the prototypical "box" camera: https://www.z-cam.com/e2-f6-pro/

Essentially, I was hoping BMD would make this, but with BRAW. Instead, they shrunk an Ursa body.

Michel Rabe

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 2:46 pm

Yes.
Or the Kinefinity Mavo Edge 6K.

But I think the Pyxis still is a nice basis to improve upon in the future.

Bunk Timmer

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 2:53 pm

joe12south wrote:You left out what I think many people would consider the prototypical "box" camera: https://www.z-cam.com/e2-f6-pro/

Essentially, I was hoping BMD would make this, but with BRAW. Instead, they shrunk an Ursa body.

Best argument so far!

10.85 x 10.79 x 15.67 cm. 1.39kg

vs

11.9 x 10.6 x 15.1 cm. 1.5 kg

Michel Rabe

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 3:02 pm

:)

Leon Benzakein

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 3:07 pm

It is all about cost.

This design was probably the one that kept down the cost of manufacturing the most.
For that I applaud BMD.

What they do with the I/O interfaces provided is going to show the power of this magic box.

I think that it is a great point of departure.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Mark Wyatt

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 3:12 pm

Does anyone know if the Pyxis has dual (simultaneous) recording on the CFExpress cards? They mention a proxy file - is that on the same card or a separate card?
www.wyattvisuals.com

Ellory Yu

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 3:58 pm

Ryan Earl wrote:When I put a top handle on Komodo and baseplate I'm always peering over to get access to the top screen to adjust a menu item. I have to work my hand under the handle and the touch screen is too small. I love that Pyxis has it built into the side and it can double as a monitor to pull focus.

I would not like the monitor to be on top of the body hindered by a top handle. I like the suggestions of keeping a smaller monitor for just menu access on the side, and a top monitor /display electronic contact point with published spec so that BMD or other 3rd party manufacturers can make top handles or arms that can be mounted on top and extend the connection for monitors and commodity EVFs to be mounted on the handle or arm, or whatever. My suggestion of using an electronic contact is to keep things clean (less wire clutter) but if that’s not feasible, I can leave with a mini HDMI instead. Oh, and don’t design it to use the current usb-c connector for this. I prefer that usb-c be available for other devices.

I also would suggest to use the extra space after shrinking the side monitor for other expansion base plates to rig other things like an NVMe caddy, CFast caddy, etc.

Leon Benzakein wrote:It is all about cost.

This design was probably the one that kept down the cost of manufacturing the most.

I don’t think it is cost because it is cheaper to do away with a large 1500 nit monitor compared to no monitor or a menu only monitor.

What I think was the motivation is that BMD always wants to deliver products as turnkey solutions or out of the box ready to use. If they didn’t include a viewing monitor, it goes against that idea of out of the box ready.

Mark Wyatt wrote:Does anyone know if the Pyxis has dual (simultaneous) recording on the CFExpress cards? They mention a proxy file - is that on the same card or a separate card?

No idea. But I hope it does. I was very disappointed when they took that dual recording capability from the URSA 4.6 G2 (UMP46G2) after having it on the older models for a long time. It’s funny (yet frustrating) that the option still is on the UMP46G2 however it is disabled.
Last edited by Ellory Yu on Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

ricardo marty

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 pm

Mark Wyatt wrote:Does anyone know if the Pyxis has dual (simultaneous) recording on the CFExpress cards? They mention a proxy file - is that on the same card or a separate card?

No its just for continuous recordings

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Robert Niessner

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 4:40 pm

joe12south wrote:You left out what I think many people would consider the prototypical "box" camera: https://www.z-cam.com/e2-f6-pro/

Thank you for the hint - forgot about them as I've never seen one in the wild or know anybody using it over here.

Z CAM E2-F6 Pro (1,390g body only / 1,680 with monitor) - $ 3,999
Full Frame 26MP CMOS Sensor 37.09 x 24.75 mm
6064x4040 @30fps max (Open Gate)
no OLPF
lens mount user replaceable locking EF mount (with optional M, MFT, PL and LPL mount accessory)
no internal ND
HDMI Type A 2.0 & 12G SDI output
no internal screen, comes with external 5" Touch Screen LCD Monitor, 1000 Nits, top mount only
internal ProRes
no internal RAW (with FW 0.9.9 external ProRes RAW over HDMI)
3.5mm stereo jack input
no XLR (but with optional XLR audio connector into 5-pin LEMO port)
Remote Port 2.5 mm jack socket (Sony LANC compatible)
no 3-axis accelerometer
Battery V-Mount 14.8V
Power Consumption 50W maximum

Kinefinity Mavo Edge 6K (1,600g body only) - $9,999
6K 3:2 Full Frame CMOS Imaging Sensor 36x24mm
6016×3984 @ 48fps
internal ProRes
no internal RAW (uncompressed DNG RAW will be added in future update)
Lens Mount - Omni Native KineMOUNT, Short FFD Adapters: PL/LPL/Active EF/passive E
OLPF with UV and IR-cut filter
optional via Mounting adapter: e-ND from 0.6 to 2.4
body size 106x124x109 mm
internal fixed screen on the left side for menu
2x 3G SDI
2x Proprietary Video Port For Kinefinity Viewfinder, KineMON-5U2/7U2 Ultra Bright Monitor with Touch Screen
3.5mm Microphone Jack / 48V Phantom-power Balanced Input x2 (regular XLR) on top
3-axis accelerometer
Integrated V-mount battery plate, V-mount battery or BP-U compatible
Power Consumption 29W

Active PL Mount w/ e-ND - $999.00
EF 3 Mounting Adapter w/ e-ND - $899.00
KineMAG Nano 1TB $999.00 / KineMAG Nano 2TB - $1,990.00
KineMON-5U2 Ultra-Bright Monitor - $769.00
KineEVF2 Full-HD OLED Viewfinder - $2,249.00
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Bunk Timmer

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:03 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Last thought for now: A rhetorical question: Why is the PYXIS as big as it is? I bet it’s currently relatively empty inside. But my guess for the reason for its size is to make room for a larger cooling system & electronics to support a future “G2” version improved sensor with higher frame rates and more dynamic range.

Cheers.
I had the same thought. It looks like it is build for a future upgrade like, who knows, a M2 cassette adaption for a future RGBW sensor. I’m thinking of a K9 version, which is added to the Ursa Cine sensor for testing purposes. So that means a 9k s35 Pyxis without or with a smaller fixed screen on the side as it has to make way for the M2 cassette to record those gorgeous images to drool over. I might even give up on my BMCC’s mft for such camera.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:18 pm

So many people have been whining for the last few years that BMD doesn't have a box camera (although they did with several models).

In the forum, someone had even demanded that BMD release something like this, because as buyer of a Pocket he would have the right to it (yes, the argument was actually that absurd).

Also the "cheap plastic housing" of the Pockets was repeatedly criticized - although this is one of the main reasons for the low weight.

Then comes a new camera in box form, instead of plastic now an aluminum/magnesium alloy.

Now people are complaining because the camera is too heavy. And because an external monitor would have to be rigged (if the camera - like the other BMD box models - had no monitor at all, there would have been no complaints?)

But if you rig the PYXIS with a sidegrip etc. for handheld shooting, then you're actually back to the pocket format anyway.

People used to moan about the LPE6 batteries, then about the NPF batteries, now you can use the 14.4 volt BP-U batteries - and people are moaning again.

With the C300, for example, nobody gets upset - the battery hangs in there in a very similar way. With the Sony FX6 you also have to retrofit the V-mount battery with a plate and holder - nobody gets upset. ... <snip> [3rd party box camera specs in Robert's post omitted] ...

Thank-you Robert for all the info about 3rd party box cameras!

I think I get your point(s), but since I'm not at all interested in any of those other cameras or brands (except maybe Panasonic), for me what they offer is a moot point. Other folks (including rental houses) may have very different interests. That's cool.

What I personally want is a Pocket 6K Pro (not the Pocket Cinema 6K) Super 35 APS-C sensor but in a box the same size or somewhat smaller than a PYXIS, with a built-in 3" or 4" B&W status/menu-only display on the operator side (instead of the PYXIS color screen), with all its connectors on the front & back (like a PYXIS), dual XLRs, a switchable 4K/HD HDMI jack, 1-3 USB-C jacks for data/video/audio/power (similar to the PYXIS), all or most of the same buttons as on the PYXIS, Bluetooth, some combination of two SD/CFast2/CFExpress slots, and a place on the back to mount a battery bigger than a NP-F570 (like the PYXIS). Put a Pocket 6K Pro EVF jack/mounting point on the top back edge (for use with the optional $500 EVF). If you want to throw in an ethernet jack & WiFi, fine. The price could/should be around US $2,800 for an EF mount version, and around $3,000 for a PL mount version.

They should also sell an optional 5" COLOR touchscreen with a compatible USB-C jack that can monitor the cam's video and also display the cam's UI, menus, etc., in a metal housing, and include a sturdy ~7" magic arm. It would be powered via the USB-C. It would sell for around $500.

I have a good sense of humor, but I don't find anything about my musings particularly hilarious. However, I could be wrong on this latter point. :D

Cheers.
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joe12south

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:40 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:

With the C300, for example, nobody gets upset - the battery hangs in there in a very similar way. With the Sony FX6 you also have to retrofit the V-mount battery with a plate and holder - nobody gets upset. ... <snip> [3rd party box camera specs in Robert's post omitted] ...

Thank-you Robert for all the info about 3rd party box cameras!

I think I get your point(s), but since I'm not at all interested in any of those other cameras or brands (except maybe Panasonic), for me what they offer is a moot point. Other folks (including rental houses) may have very different interests. That's cool.

What I personally want is a Pocket 6K Pro (not the Pocket Cinema 6K) Super 35 APS-C sensor but in a box the same size or somewhat smaller than a PYXIS, with a built-in 3" or 4" B&W status/menu-only display on the operator side (instead of the PYXIS color screen), with all its connectors on the front & back (like a PYXIS), dual XLRs, a switchable 4K/HD HDMI jack, 1-3 USB-C jacks for data/video/audio/power (similar to the PYXIS), Bluetooth, some combination of two SD/CFast2/CFExpress slots, and a place on the back to mount a battery bigger than a NP-F570 (like the PYXIS). If you want to throw in an ethernet jack & WiFi, fine. The price could/should be around US $2,800 for an EF mount version, and around $3,000 for a PL mount version.

They should also sell an optional 5" COLOR touchscreen with a compatible USB-C jack that can monitor the cam's video and also display the cam's UI, menus, etc., in a metal housing, and include a sturdy ~7" magic arm. It would be powered via the USB-C. It would sell for around $500.

I have a good sense of humor, but I don't find anything about my musings particularly hilarious. However, I could be wrong on this latter point. :D

Cheers.

Other than the fact that Super35 sensors are becoming an endangered species, that's a feature set a great many people would agree upon.

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:48 pm

Bunk Timmer wrote:
10.85 x 10.79 x 15.67 cm. 1.39kg

vs

11.9 x 10.6 x 15.1 cm. 1.5 kg

The top dimensions result in a volume 3.83% larger than the bottom dimensions but is 7.33% lighter.
Rick Lang

Leon Benzakein

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:48 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:I don’t think it is cost because it is cheaper to do away with a large 1500 nit monitor compared to no monitor or a menu only monitor.

What I think was the motivation is that BMD always wants to deliver products as turnkey solutions or out of the box ready to use. If they didn’t include a viewing monitor, it goes against that idea of out of the box ready.

How do you explain the mini "box" cameras that came before with no screens?
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

joe12south

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:57 pm

Leon Benzakein wrote:How do you explain the mini "box" cameras that came before with no screens?

The Micro Studio cameras? I think expanding that body instead of shrinking an Ursa would have been a better starting point for the Pyxis industrial design.

Michel Rabe

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:57 pm

Bunk Timmer wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote: Why is the PYXIS as big as it is?

I had the same thought. It looks like it is build for a future upgrade like, who knows, a M2 cassette adaption for a future RGBW sensor. I’m thinking of a K9 version, which is added to the Ursa Cine sensor for testing purposes. So that means a 9k s35 Pyxis without or with a smaller fixed screen on the side as it has to make way for the M2 cassette to record those gorgeous images to drool over. I might even give up on my BMCC’s mft for such camera.

Now that's the one I'll patiently be waiting for!

Weston Woodbury

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 8:52 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:
Leon Benzakein wrote:"Ursa Major is a constellation in the northern sky"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursa_Major

"Pyxis is a small and faint constellation in the southern sky."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyxis

I sense a theme here.

Surely they must work well with the ATEM Constellation. ;)

Wah wah ;)
Major non mention in the release nor website. What happened to Atem connectivity? Even the pockets do that :/ hoping maybe there's a ethernet or USB based patch on these new round of cameras to add the control back in since sdi return/hdmi bi-directional control is gone. Seems like you could do everything over a data network that you could do with that hdmi gag but a lot more reliably anyway... :?

Ellory Yu

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 pm

Leon Benzakein wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:I don’t think it is cost because it is cheaper to do away with a large 1500 nit monitor compared to no monitor or a menu only monitor.

How do you explain the mini "box" cameras that came before with no screens?

The mini "box" camera was design more for Gimbal use, mounted on something, and as crash cam in very large production (after they got the idea that Mad Max had used the Pocket OG as a body cam and crash cams. They were specifically made to be remote controlled.

Now, I'm not saying that cameras without monitor cannot be used out of the box, but additional items like a monitor will need to be purchased first to make them usable in a general rather than specific way. The case in point is the Panasonic BS1H and ZCAM cameras.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 9:10 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:

Thank you for the hint - forgot about them as I've never seen one in the wild or know anybody using it over here.

Z CAM E2-F6 Pro (1,390g body only / 1,680 with monitor) - $ 3,999
Full Frame 26MP CMOS Sensor 37.09 x 24.75 mm
6064x4040 @30fps max (Open Gate)
no OLPF
lens mount user replaceable locking EF mount (with optional M, MFT, PL and LPL mount accessory)
no internal ND
HDMI Type A 2.0 & 12G SDI output
no internal screen, comes with external 5" Touch Screen LCD Monitor, 1000 Nits, top mount only
internal ProRes
no internal RAW (with FW 0.9.9 external ProRes RAW over HDMI)
3.5mm stereo jack input
no XLR (but with optional XLR audio connector into 5-pin LEMO port)
Remote Port 2.5 mm jack socket (Sony LANC compatible)
no 3-axis accelerometer
Battery V-Mount 14.8V
Power Consumption 50W maximum

Kinefinity Mavo Edge 6K (1,600g body only) - $9,999
6K 3:2 Full Frame CMOS Imaging Sensor 36x24mm
6016×3984 @ 48fps
internal ProRes
no internal RAW (uncompressed DNG RAW will be added in future update)
Lens Mount - Omni Native KineMOUNT, Short FFD Adapters: PL/LPL/Active EF/passive E
OLPF with UV and IR-cut filter
optional via Mounting adapter: e-ND from 0.6 to 2.4
body size 106x124x109 mm
internal fixed screen on the left side for menu
2x 3G SDI
2x Proprietary Video Port For Kinefinity Viewfinder, KineMON-5U2/7U2 Ultra Bright Monitor with Touch Screen
3.5mm Microphone Jack / 48V Phantom-power Balanced Input x2 (regular XLR) on top
3-axis accelerometer
Integrated V-mount battery plate, V-mount battery or BP-U compatible
Power Consumption 29W

Active PL Mount w/ e-ND - $999.00
EF 3 Mounting Adapter w/ e-ND - $899.00
KineMAG Nano 1TB $999.00 / KineMAG Nano 2TB - $1,990.00
KineMON-5U2 Ultra-Bright Monitor - $769.00
KineEVF2 Full-HD OLED Viewfinder - $2,249.00

Thanks for this list but I think you have missed one more - ha ha...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... amera.html

rNeil H

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 6:19 pm

I've read all the complaints here, and I got a bit of a look at the camera at NAB while talking with a couple guys who'd actually shot with it.

As-is, the thing will handle everything I can need now or the foreseeable future. I already have the field monitor I'd use with it. I would only use the camera screen for menus anyway. My field monitor has SDI, which I've never used, so it's a good fit.

I might even spring for the EVF, and try this shoulder mounted.

But I'm figuring in a month or two B&H gets more money from me.

I can see why some would like something else. But I've yet to see a perfect ... anything.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 6:42 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:... A rhetorical question: Why is the PYXIS as big as it is? I bet it’s currently relatively empty inside. But my guess for the reason for its size is to make room for a larger cooling system & electronics to support a future “G2” version improved sensor with higher frame rates and more dynamic range.

A question for early PYXIS users: It's possible the current PYXIS may _already_ have a more capable internal cooling system as compared to the Pocket Cinema Camera 6K. If so, and assuming the sensor is the same, the PYXIS may exhibit less noise compared to a PCC6K operating in an identical temperature environment. It would be interesting to do a careful side-by-side comparison to see if there's any visible difference.

_celko

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 7:01 am

rNeil H wrote:I've read all the complaints here, and I got a bit of a look at the camera at NAB while talking with a couple guys who'd actually shot with it.

As-is, the thing will handle everything I can need now or the foreseeable future. I already have the field monitor I'd use with it. I would only use the camera screen for menus anyway. My field monitor has SDI, which I've never used, so it's a good fit.

I might even spring for the EVF, and try this shoulder mounted.

Do keep in mind that using this camera on a shoulder is not the best idea, due to it having the same sensor as the bmcc 6k and potentially the same rolling shutter. Unless you plan to gyro stabilize in post.

WahWay

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 8:29 am

As someone who deals with laptop repairs I can confirm USB-C is a BAD idea. I can guarantee you going to get lots of complaints about damaged USB-C ports.

Michel Rabe

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 9:06 am

And it's not protected by some small enclosure, embarkment (don't know the correct English word) around the USB-C port or similar to protect from impact.

Username

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 9:56 am

One might guess, or hope for, that some cage producers will come up with a creative way of locking it down.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

joe12south

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 12:28 pm

Username wrote:One might guess, or hope for, that some cage producers will come up with a creative way of locking it down.

It already has a lock, but I agree, more could have been done to protect it.

For example. Core SWX (the battery company) made a very interesting (yet still compatible) modification to the USB-C physical port with their "PD-Pro" tap.

rNeil H

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 3:04 pm

[/quote]

Do keep in mind that using this camera on a shoulder is not the best idea, due to it having the same sensor as the bmcc 6k and potentially the same rolling shutter. Unless you plan to gyro stabilize in post.[/quote]

My shoulder work is very slow, if any movement. Just used instead of sticks for a short shot here, one a few feet farther on ... another...

So by intent rolling shutter isn't a problem.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Gili Carstea

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 1:57 pm

Is SDI out clean feed, or only for monitoring with status overlay?

Nathan_H

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 2:02 pm

Gili Carstea wrote:Is SDI out clean feed, or only for monitoring with status overlay?

It's up to you.

John Brawley

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 3:44 pm

I see plenty of great examples being shot with this sensor that are hand held.

Could the rolling shutter be better? Sure.

Does it stop you shooting hand held? Nope. If you know what you’re doing then it’s going to look great in most situations. Good hand held all comes down to the operator first and foremost.

I personally would argue that a cube is WORSE for hand held because the build is more complex but hey, there are choices now.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

WahWay

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 4:01 pm

For handheld its obvious the Pyxis are not going to handle as well as the Pocket formfactor. I was looking at the DJI RS4 Pro and Focus Pro and they are far more appropriately balanced with the Pocket cameras.

Do you know will all flavours of the anamorphic de-squeeze on the Pyxis be coming on the 6KFF camera?

Olivier Chira

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 4:32 pm

The Pyxis is a nice step in the right direction and I get people being frustrated by the missed opportunity with the fixed screen. But to me, there are 3 key features this camera needs to be the success it should be :
- a 5 and/or 7 inch monitor with a single easy lockable connection delivering power, video feed and UI control.
- an optional side handle with at least a record button and hopefully a few more custom buttons (sadly there's an hardware limitation here, no lanc input... maybe with Bluetooth they can fix it)
- and MORE IMPORTANTLY and it's baffling almost no one talks about it : the addition (return) of ProRes recording at the very least and H264 or hevc codec.

I know NO clients who would accept braw (as good of a codec it is). There are 3 use cases at most where i can see braw being used :
- for a personnal project
- when you do everything yourself (from shooting to editing)
- for a crash cam on higher end production who can afford to manage a (uncommon) raw codec

So to me, this lack of codec is the achile's heel of this camera. The bad news is that it can just kill the camera sales, the good news is it's software related and then can be fixed. But it's a crazy move from Blackmagic. Same applies for the ursa 12k and the cine camera.

My wish would be something closer to what kinefinity does but with the UI, price, color science, workflow of BM ;) and we're not far from it.

Nathan_H

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 4:55 pm

The BRAW only is an issue.

It's forcing people into a workflow.
I have zero client that are okay with that and will then use a proxy workflow.

Not all of them will be happy to do that.

Michel Rabe

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 5:33 pm

I have no idea what BMD need to pay for a Prores license per camera. For those who need Prores, a paid software upgrade would make sense.

Nathan_H

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 5:37 pm

Michel Rabe wrote:I have no idea what BMD need to pay for a Prores license per camera. For those who need Prores, a paid software upgrade would make sense.

Totally !

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 6:02 pm

Nathan_H wrote:The BRAW only is an issue.

It's forcing people into a workflow.
I have zero client that are okay with that...

For those shooters who hand over their footage on the media card/drive immediately for subsequent use by the client, you certainly have a good point.

For those shooters who can delay the delivery of unedited ProRes footage, there may be an advantage if the client normally requests 10bit ProRes. In that situation, could you offer to convert the BRAW to (unedited) 12bit ProRes? Not a general solution, but it might work for some.
Rick Lang

WahWay

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 6:38 pm

I thought the only reason BMD left out Prores was it could not do the advertised high frame rates unless it is in Braw?

Bartek Podkowa

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 7:38 pm

John Brawley wrote:I see plenty of great examples being shot with this sensor that are hand held.

Does it stop you shooting hand held? Nope. If you know what you’re doing then it’s going to look great in most situations. Good hand held all comes down to the operator first and foremost.

I personally would argue that a cube is WORSE for hand held because the build is more complex but hey, there are choices now.

JB

The funny thing is, it would actually be PERFECT for the handheld-ish setup I'm currently enjoying. It's pretty much just a shoulder rig setup with the handles rotated into different positions, allowing me to either do regular handheld, have the camera under my arm or quickly switch to a traditional shoulder rig setup - or just dock it onto my tripod within a few seconds. Had a lot of fun with that during a shoot last week, but kept thinking how the PCC6K Pro body is a bit too wide for it to be perfect - and the Pyxis happens to be both narrower AND have better battery placement vs having a V-mount at the back of the 6K Pro.

The more I think about the Pyxis, the more I want one. Honestly, if they put the 6K Pro sensor and ND's in it I would be completely sold on it.

Out of curiosity, did you have a chance to push the camera's low light performance at all, John? I'd imagine everything you shoot is properly lit, but I often find myself in situations where I'm capturing a live event with awful lighting and being able to get a good image at 3200 ISO f4.0 is invaluable.

Howard Roll

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 7:57 pm

WahWay wrote:I thought the only reason BMD left out Prores was it could not do the advertised high frame rates unless it is in Braw?

BM is steering away from Prores as an acquisition codec for their cameras. The Cine12 was designed with a "spare no expense" mentality, if Prores was desired, it would be there.

Michel Rabe wrote:I have no idea what BMD need to pay for a Prores license per camera. For those who need Prores, a paid software upgrade would make sense.

Indeed, Atomos uses a soft license and it works great, pay for what you need. Back in the day if you wanted to export Prores and maybe even QT on a Mac then you needed the QT7Pro plugin that cost $29, there was also a Mpeg2 component that was like $19, both were installed with Final Cut.

Good Luck

WahWay

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 8:15 pm

Their excuse would be Braw is finely tuned with their OLPF.

timbutt2

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 8:44 pm

John Brawley wrote:I see plenty of great examples being shot with this sensor that are hand held.

JB

I agree with JB here. I actually went back to footage from the original BMCC2.5K since a music video we did in 2014 is getting a 10-Year Anniversary Post. The footage holds up. And, that camera only had 30 FPS max frame rate and a rolling shutter pretty similar to the BMCC6K and PYXIS 6K. The majority of that music video was shot handheld. So that should tell you something about how well a video can hold up if you handle the camera right for handheld.

I'd say rigging the Cube/Box form of the PYXIS like we did the BMCC2.5K back in the day is the answer to good handheld. I shoulder mounted it with a rig. And, when needing to go lower than shoulder mounting, you can do the under the arm method for decent results.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography