PYXIS 6K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: PYXIS 6K

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 5:15 am

The Other Mark Williams wrote:... Now, if there's a way to use the Video Assist 12G or a SmallHD to control the camera, then OK, not a huge deal. ... If there is no way to control the camera via external monitor, then the whole thing seems like a very weird design choice. ...

The PIXYS 6K camera has Bluetooth, so there's a chance a monitor from Portkeys will probably be able to control the camera very soon. Something like this:
https://www.portkeys.com/lh5p-ii/

timbutt2

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 5:42 am

In defense of the BP-U Battery choice: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... elect.html

This battery from CoreSWX is 98Wh and if that is equivalent to the 98Wh V-Mount or Gold Mount then we should be expected similar results. I've powered my UMPG2 on a 98Wh and gotten 2.5-2.75 hours easily just powering the URSA Viewfinder with the Camera. So depending on the power draw of the PYXIS 6K this isn't a terrible range.

Say that Grant was speaking of the larger BP-U Batteries like this 98Wh one as getting 3-hours with the camera. That's really not bad.

I get 3.5-3.75 hrs with the UMPG2 and the 150Wh batteries, which are more expensive than the 98Wh ones. I'm also usually powering more accessories, so that time drops to 3-hours easily. 4 150Wh and 2 98Wh Batteries will definitely get me through a day powering the UMPG2, Viewfinder, Video Assist 4K, Tilta Nucleus M Motors, and a Holland Cosmo Wireless Transmitter. I doubt as many accessories will need to be powered with a PYXIS. At that point you should be on an URSA Cine if you need all that extra gear.

So I can actually accept this battery now. It's mainly the lack of internal ND for me and the slow readout of the sensor with not as high frame rates. But for interviews and other video content where that readout and lack of higher frame rates doesn't matter as much this is a still fantastic camera.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Bme films

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 5:49 am

Amen! couldn't have said it better myself!

Ellory Yu

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 5:49 am

Fabián Aguirre wrote:Lots of people will find that side monitor useful. You might not, but the ones who do will use them to make something. I'll rig one with one of my existing 5inch monitors on top. Maybe I'll find that my clients love being able to see a preview on the side of the camera. Maybe it's useless. It's $3,000.

I’m with you with what you posted. However, it is my opinion and experience that side monitors are functional if you have the camera on sticks, have another cam op who might be using it for specific purposes like to pull focus while another is working on taking the shot and doing other things as part of the filming process. In a larger production setting I think it’s preferable and I can attest that from experience. However, most individuals and low budget productions are the ones who are consumers of BMD “camera” products and the large studios won’t do any less than an ARRI. These are independent producers with a one man cam op and if you’re in that boat, you’re likely buying the Pyxis. That monitor on the Pyxis is not useful on the side because it’s hard to monitor or configure settings while you’re, for example, doing a run and gun setup, or on a gimbal. It would have been more convenient to have a small screen on the top of the camera or just send it out to an external monitor. One of the things people clamored for the box style is flexibility, as in let me rig my camera the way I want and need it for my workflow. That extra side monitor could have replaced with better feature like a drive caddy and could have also lowered the cost of the camera. But it is what it is and folks will settle and accept it over time, bad design or not.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Nathan_H

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 6:12 am

I’m super pumped for Blackmagic to enter the Cinema market with the big URSA CINE.

I’m super pumped for the box camera that everybody wanted

But this ain’t it for me, because for one :
I don’t shoot cinema nor I want to
I shoot a variety of project : brand, ad, documentary and some event (sports and music)

That 6k sensor and readout ain’t it at all.
The selection of codec is WAY too restrictive (yeah we NEED prores for some jobs or even smaller files for 5% of the job of the year).

I don’t do Cinema, and won’t be, but I’d gladly have HALF of the URSA CINE size and frame rates in a C300 ish form factor.

This ain’t for me or my market

As for RS, the amount of filmmaker that will mount a long lens or elaborate their shoulder kit will have a hard time dealing with this problem :
80mm

old mp4 clip sorry for the messy file.

So yeah 3000$ that’s cool for a lot of people, but I don’t see a market for people like me who invested in an URSA G2 back then and need something slightly lighter, with better DR and low light.

I’ll look somewhere else then…

Fabián Aguirre

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 6:25 am

Ellory Yu wrote:
Fabián Aguirre wrote:It would have been more convenient to have a small screen on the top of the camera or just send it out to an external monitor. One of the things people clamored for the box style is flexibility, as in let me rig my camera the way I want and need it for my workflow. That extra side monitor could have replaced with better feature like a drive caddy and could have also lowered the cost of the camera. But it is what it is and folks will settle and accept it over time, bad design or not.

I can just hear the whining about a tiny monitor on top, a la Komodo. You can't put a 5" monitor on top of Pyxis without also making the body wider. Certain loud people hated the wide body of the pockets. So which is it? Small monitor on top so folks can complain that it's too small and not good enough for professional work/focus/framing?

Perhaps BMD will release a new video assist, as some have said, that will integrate seamlessly onto the body. Or just put a monitor on top? The cheap (and cheaply-made) Shinobi is less than $300. BMD just lowered their prices on 12G Video Assists.

I get it. People will have a million ways to improve these cameras. You're right, some will settle for it, some will love it, others will go buy a C70 for twice the price, or a Komodo with a tiny screen on top. Choices are good.
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

Florent Piovesan

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 6:44 am

Fabián Aguirre wrote:I just saw this on a Reduser channel and thought it was appropriate for this conversation.

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 9.30.19 PM.jpg

Let's remember this is a sub $3,000 camera, arguably at least as or more capable than Komodo, for half the price. If we can't make great images and tell decent stories with 13 stops of DR, the camera is not the problem.

Is it perfect? No. Will it make everyone happy? Of course not.

When the BMCC6K was released, people groaned and said "but if only it had been a box!". Here's the same camera, in a box, with a screen that you may or may not find useful, at half the price of a Komodo.

I'm sure BMD appreciate the feedback, and some of it is more than reasonable. Like improving the sensor readout speed, or possibly finding a way to engineer the next iteration of the camera to have internal NDs. But the side screen? But hyperbole about a the commercial failure of a camera, before it even ships?

Lots of people will find that side monitor useful. You might not, but the ones who do will use them to make something. I'll rig one with one of my existing 5inch monitors on top. Maybe I'll find that my clients love being able to see a preview on the side of the camera. Maybe it's useless. It's $3,000. Go out and make something.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy (trust me, all I want is an ALEXA), congrats to Grant and team for always pushing the envelope and trying to always give us more for not so much. Can't wait to see the Ursa Cine in person.

Totally agree with this!
https://www.oftwolands.com
Cameras: OG BMPCC, BMPCC6K, BMPCC6K PRO, BMCC6K
Past: UMP4.6K, BMPCC4K
Computers: Mac Studio M1 Max & MacBook Air 15 M2

WahWay

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 7:01 am

The more I look at the Pyxies I think the BMCC6K or Pocket 6kFF is a more user friendly camera at least for run and gun. Just wish it wasn't so plasticky.

Michel Rabe

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 8:14 am

timbutt2 wrote:In defense of the BP-U Battery choice: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... elect.html

This battery from CoreSWX is 98Wh and if that is equivalent to the 98Wh V-Mount or Gold Mount then we should be expected similar results. I've powered my UMPG2 on a 98Wh and gotten 2.5-2.75 hours easily just powering the URSA Viewfinder with the Camera. So depending on the power draw of the PYXIS 6K this isn't a terrible range.

Say that Grant was speaking of the larger BP-U Batteries like this 98Wh one as getting 3-hours with the camera. That's really not bad.

I get 3.5-3.75 hrs with the UMPG2 and the 150Wh batteries, which are more expensive than the 98Wh ones. I'm also usually powering more accessories, so that time drops to 3-hours easily. 4 150Wh and 2 98Wh Batteries will definitely get me through a day powering the UMPG2, Viewfinder, Video Assist 4K, Tilta Nucleus M Motors, and a Holland Cosmo Wireless Transmitter. I doubt as many accessories will need to be powered with a PYXIS. At that point you should be on an URSA Cine if you need all that extra gear.

So I can actually accept this battery now. It's mainly the lack of internal ND for me and the slow readout of the sensor with not as high frame rates. But for interviews and other video content where that readout and lack of higher frame rates doesn't matter as much this is a still fantastic camera.

That's actually not bad.

The reasoning for mini V-Mount is that there are so many great, affordable options right now which all have multiple power outs to run accessories like wireless transmitter, focus motor, additional screen ect.

Michel Rabe

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 8:20 am

Fabián Aguirre wrote:I just saw this on a Reduser channel and thought it was appropriate for this conversation.

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 9.30.19 PM.jpg

Let's remember this is a sub $3,000 camera, arguably at least as or more capable than Komodo, for half the price. If we can't make great images and tell decent stories with 13 stops of DR, the camera is not the problem.

When the BMCC6K was released, people groaned and said "but if only it had been a box!". Here's the same camera, in a box, with a screen that you may or may not find useful, at half the price of a Komodo.

I'm sure BMD appreciate the feedback, and some of it is more than reasonable. Like improving the sensor readout speed, or possibly finding a way to engineer the next iteration of the camera to have internal NDs. But the side screen? But hyperbole about a the commercial failure of a camera, before it even ships?

Lots of people will find that side monitor useful. You might not, but the ones who do will use them to make something. I'll rig one with one of my existing 5inch monitors on top. Maybe I'll find that my clients love being able to see a preview on the side of the camera. Maybe it's useless. It's $3,000. Go out and make something.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy (trust me, all I want is an ALEXA), congrats to Grant and team for always pushing the envelope and trying to always give us more for not so much. Can't wait to see the Ursa Cine in person.

A side monitor makes perfect sense on big cameras where the AC sits or stands next to the cinematographer and pulls focus or changes settings (at least it used to make sense when AC's didn't operate via wireless video and focus like almost everyone does today).

It does make little to no sense on a small, solo operator cam like the Pyxis. It eats away battery power only to show the menu even if you don't look at it most of the time.

But regardless, if they bothered to put it on there, they might've as well made it articulating, so that it can be used for actual operating.

It's a very odd choice and one that I'm sure they'll fix in the next version (which I pray will have some restricted version of the new sensor).

WahWay

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 8:31 am

Who came up with that name? A few months ago there were posts on here about new names for BMD cameras so was that scouting for possible names?

There is "Trial of the Pyx" a centuries old ceremony held annually were the Royal Mint bashes the coins about to make sure they conform to standard.
Will "Trial of the Pyxis" goes through the same testing regime? I can imagine lots of damage monitors and if after 12 months BMD won't offer to repair it :cry:

roger.magnusson

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 10:33 am

Pyxis: "A small box used by the ancient Greeks and Romans to hold medicines, etc"

Florent Piovesan

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 11:41 am

roger.magnusson wrote:Pyxis: "A small box used by the ancient Greeks and Romans to hold medicines, etc"

That's interesting! I think it is a constellation too.

joe12south

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 12:57 pm

1. I pre-ordered one. Ticks enough boxes (pun intended) to be a good general purpose camera. So many of us have been crying for this, seemed rude to NOT buy one. :D

2. I wish they had just ditched that big, but ill placed, fixed screen in lieu of using the new USB-C monitor connection. Flexible rigging is the point of a box camera.

3. For those complaining about the battery choice:
A. BP-U is ubiquitous. If you get in a jam, you can get them almost anywhere, for cheap.
B. Easily adapted to other battery mounts. You'll see Tilta and others do this, just like they did for the original Komodo.

4. The biggest miss was leaving out internal ND. That's the only thing I'm REALLY gonna miss.

5. I'm really looking forward to some creative 3rd-party plates for the "operator" side. Hoping Tilta or SmallRig make one with rosette, nato rail, cold shoe AND SSD mount.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Uli Plank

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 1:06 pm

Florent Piovesan wrote:[I think it is a constellation too.

You may be thinking of Pisces.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Username

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 1:11 pm

joe12south wrote:1. I pre-ordered one. Ticks enough boxes (pun intended) to be a good general purpose camera. So many of us have been crying for this, seemed rude to NOT buy one. :D

Exciting!
Which mount did you choose?
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

wemrick1

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 1:13 pm

Simply kudos to BM for making a box. I've read countless wishes here for one and BM responded. I'm not in the market personally. I have an Ursa Mini Broadcast G2 and an Ursa mini pro 4.6 that tick enough similar boxes to keep me happy. Having said that, I'm simply pleased that BM is staying in the game and listening to the market place. As for whining, people do that. Whine that it doesn't have enough features and then whine about the cost when one comes out with all of the features. I hope they sell a ton of them.

Michel Rabe

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 1:28 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Pyxis: "A small box used by the ancient Greeks and Romans to hold medicines, etc"

Makes sense! But I chose to believe they took the name from a character in Attack on Titan.

https://www.anime-planet.com/characters/dot-pyxis

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 1:31 pm

What is the thinking behind no HDMI out?
A new Video Assist that can control the camera via USB C, maybe?

Using an USB C phone as a monitor?
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Uli Plank

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 1:57 pm

Why not? USB-C is fast enough and there'll be no trouble with HDCP.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 2:21 pm

It would appear that one can use USB C as a HDMI source.

I did not know that. I obviously do not live in the USB C universe.
Last edited by Leon Benzakein on Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 2:23 pm

Florent Piovesan wrote:

Pyxis
Constellation in the southern celestial hemisphere
Pyxis is a small and faint constellation in the southern sky. Abbreviated from Pyxis Nautica, its name is Latin for a mariner's compass. Pyxis was introduced by Nicolas-Louis de Lacaille in the 18th century, and is counted among the 88 modern constellations. The plane of the Milky Way passes through Pyxis. A faint constellation, its three brightest stars—Alpha, Beta and Gamma Pyxidis—are in a rough line. At magnitude 3.68, Alpha is the constellation's brightest star.
- Wikipedia
Rick Lang

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 2:26 pm

PYXIS, is it not a skin disease?

WahWay

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 2:30 pm

Alt Cine has taken design credit for the Pyxis 6K

Adam Langdon

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 2:38 pm

Leon Benzakein wrote:PYXIS, is it not a skin disease?

it's a medication, haha
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 2:38 pm

WahWay wrote:Alt Cine has taken design credit for the Pyxis 6K

"I am Spartacus"!

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 3:21 pm

WahWay wrote:The more I look at the Pyxies I think the BMCC6K or Pocket 6kFF is a more user friendly camera at least for run and gun. Just wish it wasn't so plasticky.

I mostly agree. For my most frequent needs, the Pocket 6K Pro is a better match. Although I wish both the P6K Pro & the PYXIS included a HDMI video output capable of HD _and_ 4K!

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 3:42 pm

Fabián Aguirre wrote:Let's remember this is a sub $3,000 camera, arguably at least as or more capable than Komodo, for half the price. If we can't make great images and tell decent stories with 13 stops of DR, the camera is not the problem.

I've been wondering how long it would take for people to find ways to blame the Pyxis for their incompetence. I guess that will have to wait for the cameras to actually arrive in people's hands ;)

I'm with you; I think it will be a great camera, even thought he digital potatoes will buy them up in droves, whine about something, sell them, and then move on to the next new toy.

(Reminder: potatoes are tubers. Most people who review cameras for clicks don't actually know how to use them.)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Vellavi_film

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 5:17 pm

Do you think using a USB-C to HDMI would allow us to plug our hdmi monitor?
Love the shape of it, but indeed no ND filters and slow-motion in cropped 1080 is a bummer a bit. Other than that, I'm sure this camera will have a lot of success.

Florent Piovesan

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 5:34 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
Fabián Aguirre wrote:Let's remember this is a sub $3,000 camera, arguably at least as or more capable than Komodo, for half the price. If we can't make great images and tell decent stories with 13 stops of DR, the camera is not the problem.

I've been wondering how long it would take for people to find ways to blame the Pyxis for their incompetence. I guess that will have to wait for the cameras to actually arrive in people's hands ;)

I'm with you; I think it will be a great camera, even thought he digital potatoes will buy them up in droves, whine about something, sell them, and then move on to the next new toy.

(Reminder: potatoes are tubers. Most people who review cameras for clicks don't actually know how to use them.)

Hopefully I am not targeted in this comment haha!

timbutt2

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 5:45 pm

Florent Piovesan wrote:
Rakesh Malik wrote:I've been wondering how long it would take for people to find ways to blame the Pyxis for their incompetence. I guess that will have to wait for the cameras to actually arrive in people's hands ;)

This is probably less aimed at you than other YouTubers who only seem to test cameras and not keep to a camera for long.

I just saw a video yesterday (for example) of someone saying they're selling their Komodo X for the PYXIS. And, I was like "why?" The Komodo X is vastly better with higher frame rates and the global shutter. The PYXIS is cool, and costs one third the cost of the Komodo X, but it's not able to compete. This video was purely for views and this YouTuber is a fool just jumping on to the wagon of buying a new camera to shoot it and get views and then dump the camera for the next thing.

This person would regret selling the Komodo X in favor of the PYXIS. The PYXIS doesn't provide better features at the moment. So for real situations of client work the downgrade doesn't make sense. Other than it's for the YouTube Views through ClickBait Titles. Just like the "I'm Selling My Komodo X for a PYXIS!"

That's who I think his comment was targeting as Potatoes.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Florent Piovesan

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 5:49 pm

timbutt2 wrote:
Florent Piovesan wrote:
Rakesh Malik wrote:I've been wondering how long it would take for people to find ways to blame the Pyxis for their incompetence. I guess that will have to wait for the cameras to actually arrive in people's hands ;)

This is probably less aimed at you than other YouTubers who only seem to test cameras and not keep to a camera for long.

I just saw a video yesterday (for example) of someone saying they're selling their Komodo X for the PYXIS. And, I was like "why?" The Komodo X is vastly better with higher frame rates and the global shutter. The PYXIS is cool, and costs one third the cost of the Komodo X, but it's not able to compete. This video was purely for views and this YouTuber is a fool just jumping on to the wagon of buying a new camera to shoot it and get views and then dump the camera for the next thing.

This person would regret selling the Komodo X in favor of the PYXIS. The PYXIS doesn't provide better features at the moment. So for real situations of client work the downgrade doesn't make sense. Other than it's for the YouTube Views through ClickBait Titles. Just like the "I'm Selling My Komodo X for a PYXIS!"

Yes, Youtube can be a weird and frustrating place for filmmakers haha! There's a fine line/balance.
Being doing it for 6 years now and whatever reason filmmaking is a tricky subject on there for so many reasons.
Either way, very keen to get my hands on the Pyxis. I still have all my pockets including the OG haha so I don't intend to keep it only for the review :)

WahWay

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 5:53 pm

Maybe its a question for BMD. Can they not put the 12k FF sensor on the PYXIS with half the frame rates? If they could how much do you think it will sell for? I hope someone will ask Grant and co at NAB.

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 6:21 pm

timbutt2 wrote:This is probably less aimed at you than other YouTubers who only seem to test cameras and not keep to a camera for long.

You got it exactly. I'm making fun of 'tubers who review cameras for clicks. They go through cameras lik there's no tomorrow, and their titles are clear clickbait... and they're always trying to tell you that every new camera is a game changer, that camera Bx+4 "beats" camera ZY+42, etc.

They're same sort of people that will say that "toy X is more cinematic" (than what? They don't know).

I tend to make fun of anyone who claims that you can't make a feature film with a Black Magic camera though.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Adam Langdon

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 6:22 pm

What we know about BMD is that they will recycle designs and parts for future releases.
So it’s safe to assume the Pyxis body will have multiple iterations.

If they try to put the 12k sensor in there, they’d need a proper cooling system and whatever hardware is needed for that particular sensor.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 6:32 pm

The more I think about it, I think that the 2 USB C I/O are going to be anything you need them to be.

Data/audio/video
Once it handshakes with the device plugged into it.

The Other Mark Williams

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 6:57 pm

Leon Benzakein wrote:The more I think about it, I think that the 2 USB C I/O are going to be anything you need them to be.

Data/audio/video
Once it handshakes with the device plugged into it.

I hope you're right - that would be a preferable way to hook up a control monitor to mount wherever one needs so as to both view and control the camera while shooting handheld. (And even better if the monitor could be powered by that same USB-C connection...)

This is a really exciting camera. I just hope the monitor/camera control situation can be handled elegantly. I feel sure that third parties will provide some kind of v-mount sled for the NPF battery section for folks who want that. I too wish it had internal NDs, at least on the EF and PL mount versions, where there ought to be enough room for them.

I just bought a second C70 two weeks ago for the same price as the Pyxis. That's a tough camera to beat for run-and-gun, but I'm still excited about the Pyxis b/c I like BMD colors so much.

Exciting times!

ierax332

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 6:58 pm

For Europeans this is not a sub 3k camera, the cvp price right now plus vat make it almost 4k euros, so it is a pricey camera for the people that bought 6k pros.

Charging more for the PL mount just because, is another middle finger as well. Hopefully, prices will adjust downwards as long as there are not too many idiots with too much money thinking this is the bargain of the year. BM is running a business of course and wants to know how much money it can overcharge and get away with it. Hopefully, once the "influencer" bros' hype dies down and they get back to their AF FX-3 II's , the prices will adjust accordingly.

PS (the side monitor that will not extend is a terrible idea) . Nice first try though, bring on the second version

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 7:06 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:What we know about BMD is that they will recycle designs and parts for future releases.
So it’s safe to assume the Pyxis body will have multiple iterations.

If they try to put the 12k sensor in there, they’d need a proper cooling system and whatever hardware is needed for that particular sensor.

When I talked to the BMD reps about reviewing the original 12K, they told me that the primary limiting factor in putting the 12K sensor into a smaller body was cooling. I suspect that's the tradeoff for the combination of high resolution and high dynamic range.

Plus, the reason that I suspect that Sony is the manufacturing partner for that sensor, I am guessing that it's a stacked design in order to enable the blazing fast readout and how it's able to scale the image off of the sensor while still being raw.

The other tradeoff there is also heat; in a normal sensor design the readouts are on edges and the back of the sensor is pasted onto the heat sink. With a chip stacked onto the back it's harder to get the heat out of the sensor because silicon doesn't transfer heat well.

It's the same thing that AMD has been battling with its 3D stacked processors; they're clocked lower because the memory chiplets stuck to the back of the core chiplets make getting heat out of the CPU cores harder.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Cary Knoop

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 7:11 pm

timbutt2 wrote:Actually, found a brilliant way that the fixed side screen on the PYXIS comes into play: vertical shooting! Then it becomes a top screen. So this camera is perfect for social media content. Haha.

Lol :D

ricardo marty

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 7:15 pm

Florent Piovesan wrote:

It can also makes you think of something pixel related

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 7:18 pm

Florent Piovesan wrote:
Yes, Youtube can be a weird and frustrating place for filmmakers haha! There's a fine line/balance.
Being doing it for 6 years now and whatever reason filmmaking is a tricky subject on there for so many reasons.
Either way, very keen to get my hands on the Pyxis. I still have all my pockets including the OG haha so I don't intend to keep it only for the review :)

There seem to be three distinct categories of people who post things like camera review videos on YouTube. The ones that I generally refer to as the potatoes review cameras for clicks, and don't really have anything of value to offer; they rush to be the first, so they have no time with the cameras, their reviews are based largely on specs, and they are usually not filmmakers.

The second is people who review cameras for journals; they are never first out the gate with reviews, but their reviews are actually useful because they use the cameras before making the review videos.

The third (which happens to be where I end up, though I do my reviews on Red Shark rather than on YouTube) are people who just review stuff they like enough to keep using it, and like me can't be bothered to review stuff I don't like. That also means that I'm mostly reviewing my own gear, and not review gear.

I make an exception for stuff like Black Magic gear because the BMD folks are nice AND because their stuff is also. But I also don't believe that "there is a best camera" because there isn't, which is another reason that I just don't do reviews; they're a lot of work and frankly I'd rather be making movies than camera reviews.

But with a BMD camera I would take on a film shoot. The 12K part might scare off some (clueless) people, but I don't get hired for the resolution of my camera, so I don't care. :)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

ricardo marty

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 7:23 pm

Ill sell my p4k and f700 and purchase the pyxis, sell it and buy the pro model when it shows up.. With the pyxis I have braw and an eng style camera then add the dji focus pro, get manual EF lenses and I will have the best for my workflow. Ill keep my Sony a6700 for photos.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 8:22 pm

"Ursa Major is a constellation in the northern sky"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursa_Major

"Pyxis is a small and faint constellation in the southern sky."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyxis

I sense a theme here.

WahWay

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 8:34 pm

Pyxis at £3000 will work out much more expensive than the 6KFF once you get it ready to shoot. You need to get an external monitor ideally 1500 nit like the Video Assist 12G HDR at £500 and the new viewfinder costing £1600 total over £5k.
The 6KFF at around £2150 plus £415 viewfinder total £2565 you are similarly specced and good to go. The money saved can go towards a DJI Focus Pro, RS4 Pro, battery grips, memory cards or a set of 3 Remus anamorphic lenses.

joe12south

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 9:34 pm

Username wrote:
joe12south wrote:1. I pre-ordered one. Ticks enough boxes (pun intended) to be a good general purpose camera. So many of us have been crying for this, seemed rude to NOT buy one. :D

Exciting!
Which mount did you choose?

The L mount, as it's the most adaptable. Most of my cine glass is EF, so I'll use a locking adapter from Metabones.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

jallen0

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 10:08 pm

If anyone is at NAB can you ask if the Pyxis 6K SDI output is 4:2:2: 10 bit 4K UHD and can you either add a lut to the output, or send it out Rec 709.

There is no manual yet and nothing on the website about it. Looking at using it for some green screen virtual production. I'm not sure it would work on a LED volume screen because of the sensor and lack of global shutter, but for green screen VP it might be a good fit.

Thanks.
Last edited by jallen0 on Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Cary Knoop

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 11:25 pm

Leon Benzakein wrote:"Ursa Major is a constellation in the northern sky"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursa_Major

"Pyxis is a small and faint constellation in the southern sky."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyxis

I sense a theme here.

Surely they must work well with the ATEM Constellation. ;)

Ellory Yu

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 1:58 am

Nathan_H wrote:I’m super pumped for Blackmagic to enter the Cinema market with the big URSA CINE.

I’m super pumped for the box camera that everybody wanted

But this ain’t it for me, because for one :
I don’t shoot cinema nor I want to
I shoot a variety of project : brand, ad, documentary and some event (sports and music)

That 6k sensor and readout ain’t it at all.
The selection of codec is WAY too restrictive (yeah we NEED prores for some jobs or even smaller files for 5% of the job of the year).

I don’t do Cinema, and won’t be, but I’d gladly have HALF of the URSA CINE size and frame rates in a C300 ish form factor.

This ain’t for me or my market

As for RS, the amount of filmmaker that will mount a long lens or elaborate their shoulder kit will have a hard time dealing with this problem :
80mm

old mp4 clip sorry for the messy file.

So yeah 3000$ that’s cool for a lot of people, but I don’t see a market for people like me who invested in an URSA G2 back then and need something slightly lighter, with better DR and low light.

I’ll look somewhere else then…

You’re best to look for Sony or Canon prosumer cameras. Blackmagic cameras are for cinematographers and not videographers. Big difference between them.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Ellory Yu

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 2:24 am

I like what BM did to the Pyxis but I will wait for the G2 which will come down in price dramatically, as all BM camera does. I still enjoy using my UMP G2 and Pocket 6K combo.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography