BMPCC6K-Noise issue after update.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

LoneVcam

BMPCC6K-Noise issue after update.

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 10:42 pm

I bought my Blackmagic Pocket 6k camera in may of 2019 and have had an amazing time with this camera. However, last year I decided to upgrade the firmware for the first time. The version at the time, 7.9.2, was the newest one out and I decided to upgrade to that. The update appeared to be successful and I properly followed the steps.

After this point, however, it seems as though I am receiving serious noise at various ISO's, even the recommended 400 and 3200. I use this camera for short films, and film in very similar situations and the difference is apparent. I followed another posters advice who was going through a similar situation and downgraded to 7.9.1 and do a sensor calibration which gave me a better image but still notably worse than factory.

I can't find anyone speaking on this issue and after talking to BMD support they haven't encountered this before, don't have a fix yet, and can't tell me what the original firmware that came with the camera was.

I have a google drive with raw samples and with a rec709 lut from before and after the update at various iso's in similar situations if anyone wants to check it out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Cinematography