BM app screen goes black

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

samsonwilliams

BM app screen goes black

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 am

I was out shooting a bunch of Broll clips this morning. Got about 20 10sec clips. Took another 20 or so and the screen went black. None of these were recorded although it looked like they were. The phone has 150GB of storage left. I also had a problem a few days ago asking question reshoot. The camera did not recordeven though itt showed it was. Setting HEVC H265, 4K, rec 709.

kfriis

Re: BM app screen goes black

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 8:15 pm

samsonwilliams wrote:I was out shooting a bunch of Broll clips this morning. Got about 20 10sec clips. Took another 20 or so and the screen went black. None of these were recorded although it looked like they were. The phone has 150GB of storage left. I also had a problem a few days ago asking question reshoot. The camera did not recordeven though itt showed it was. Setting HEVC H265, 4K, rec 709.

Not much to go on. Let’s take it slowly, from the top:

1. Does the same “approach” behave in any way identical or even slightly similar, when using the Apple Camera App? If so, stop here; do you have an SSD connected to the iPhone?

2. Have you set up external recording (look in “MEDIA” and “Save Clips to”)?

3. If yes, did you notice any “tiny, white digits” blinking in the bottom of the screen? In sunlight next to impossible to see.

4. What are your settings for “MEDIA” and “Save Clips to”? Does the folder exist?

5. Have you tried repeating the same “approach” in the BMC App?

Try the following, if the problem still persists:

A. Reboot the iPhone (power off, wait a few seconds, then power on). Nothing is destroyed by that, but memory gets a nice clean. Wait a few minutes (the iPhone needs to do a bit of initial housekeeping - amount depends on Apps and usage). Has the problem disappeared?

B. If not, and if you have any “Presets” export them now.

C. Try”Reset BlackMagic Cam Settings”. If the problem still exists:

D. Delete the App completely (also clears any App data). Reboot the iPhone (may actually be important in some unusual cases - saves unnecessary hunting for causes).

E. Reinstall the App. Does the problem still exist?

Just to get a feeling for your environment and setup.

Regards

Return to Cinematography