BMP4K Monitor for Outdoors Advice - Shinobi/FeelworldLUT5

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Matteo Ferreccio

BMP4K Monitor for Outdoors Advice - Shinobi/FeelworldLUT5

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 2:11 pm

Hello all, looking for advice about a field monitor for outdoor shooting (BMPC4K)

5" for portability and brightness for bright day hours is what I'm after, so I basically came down to choosing between the Feelworld LUT5 (3000 nits) and the more professional-entry-level Shinobi (1000 nits). I'm also getting a cage (Feelworld sure need it, being plastic) to have easy nato rail mounting system, and a sunshade (necessary, for the Feelword to dial down brightness to avoid fan noise when needed, for the Shinobi for too-bright sunny situations).

Getting one or the other, plus a third party cage/sunhood (8siin, Nitze, Smallrig...) comes with a 100-150€ difference which is not big.

My reasoning: either I get the Feelworld for challenging outdoor shooting, saving a little, maybe loosing a bit in signal latency (Feelworld wrote to me 4K DCI signal has a minimum of 0.1s latency, can affect panning and focus pulling operations a little, Shinobi should be better [is it?]) and get a more serious screen for studio shoots later on, either I get the Shinobi from the start and use it in both studio and outdoor.

What would you choose? Thanks!

Phil999

Re: BMP4K Monitor for Outdoors Advice - Shinobi/FeelworldLUT

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 11:05 pm

I use the Feelworld LUT5 since about two years, and it is an acceptable monitoring solution for outdoors. Indoors or in cold weather the fan can be switched off, in hot weather the 100% fan speed cannot be changed. I didn't use a cage so far, but it certainly is a good idea. The thin plastic hull does indeed bend when attached to a stiff monitor mount. Latency is there also at 1080p. Another thing is that the battery indicator is not accurate. You have to know your batteries to estimate how long they last. Other than that, it has proven to be reliable in the field. When mounting upside down, instead of mirroring both axis in the menu, a motion sensor can be enabled. Good for quick changes of the rig.

The entry level Shinobi with a large enough sunhood may be the better choice. Better quality and probably better OS.

Phil999

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 11:33 pm

there is of course another budget option, the Osee T7 with 3000 nits, which I had the pleasure to work with for about two years. I really liked the HDMI connectors on the back instead at the side. Much better. Today I saw the advanced version of the T7 at Aliexpress for $300, a really good offer. The new version has now a fan. Which is probably necessary, because the old version got very hot in direct sunlight. I always had to cover the monitor when there was sunny weather in summer, and put it in the shade between takes to cool down. One could almost have done fried eggs on it.

Instead of getting the new T7 I took your advice and bought the cage and sunhood for the Feelworld LUT5. I think this was a good choice, since now both have a fan. And the 5,5" LUT5 consumes less power than the 7" T7. I guess it will even use less power with the sunhood on and won't get hot so fast, when I can dial down the backlight. Often I'm at full 3000 nits when filming, with the sunhood 1000-2000 nits may suffice.

Matteo Ferreccio

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 2:58 pm

Thanks for answering!

I wasn't aware of the Osee T7, but I second this:

Phil999 wrote:I guess it will even use less power with the sunhood on and won't get hot so fast, when I can dial down the backlight. Often I'm at full 3000 nits when filming, with the sunhood 1000-2000 nits may suffice.

I still didn't buy it but I think I will, Feelworld + "Nitze" Cage which is the one readily available here in Italy.

I think that in september, since I have more upcoming indoors/studio shoots, I'm gonna buy a Portkeys monitor as the "more professional" one. The Shinobi has way more mixed consensus online, I discovered, while on the Portkeys there seem to be general consensus.

Cheers! :)

ShaheedMalik

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 3:32 pm

I own a Lut7s and I recommend the cage. The plastic on those units will eventually break due to pressure on the mounts.

Return to Cinematography