Pyxis L mount vs PL

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ahappydude

Pyxis L mount vs PL

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 8:15 pm

Hey All,

I placed my preorder for the new Pyxis in the EF mount. I am having doubts that I should have chose L mount for versatility or went straight to PL. The EF seemed like a safe choice as I have a few rokinon lenses and the locking mount will help eliminated wobble with a follow focus.

Does the L mount lock securely or is wobble inevitable without a locking ring? I know that there are a few good PL to L adapters which would allow for some nice anamorphic glass.

My EF lens inventory is basic so I am ok starting fresh with L mount or renting PL for more serious work.

What would you choose?

Alex Mitchell

Re: Pyxis L mount vs PL

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 9:04 pm

I think the majority of people are best served by an L-Mount Pyxis. Very few companies seem to be working on new EF designs so it feels like a bit of an evilutionary dead end, and PL lenses are typically a lot more expensive to own so going that route feels like painting yourself in to a corner. The only tricky thing about L-Mount is the same thing that is tricky about all standard stills mounts: it is only pin-registered. If you want a rock solid fit then you need to secure your adapter or lens to your rods or a camera cage, which—in fairness—is a pretty standard practice these days.

Here's what I'd tell most folks:

If you want the most flexibility, go with L-Mount and some kind of camera cage that can secure a lens adapter.
If you already have a substantial investment in EF lenses, get the locking EF mount.
If you're using the Pyxis in a professional context with PL glass, and need the most stripped down and rock solid build imaginable, then the PL mount version is for you.

timbutt2

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 5:23 am

Honestly, I'd tell you to get the L Mount and an EF to L Adapter. Then should you decide to upgrade to a new lens system like PL you can get the PL to L Adapter and make the transition easier without needing to buy a new camera with a new mount.

Personally, I see more of a future in PL over EF. EF is obsolete in my book. PL has been a standard longer and will remain a standard for cinema longer. Although, we are starting to move towards LPL but, that, is still based off the PL system. PL is a cinema standard and EF is a stills standard. So good riddance to PL.

Ironically L is also a stills mount system. But, it is more adaptable than EF so I'm happier for it to be on cameras. Still getting L and using adapters is far more efficient than locking yourself into a single mount if you haven't already got PL due to being in cinema longer. Luckily there are more affordable PL lenses than when I first started.

So, to sum up: Get L Mount and EF to L Mount Adapter. Then add a PL to L Mount Adapter and start the transition away from the obsolete EF system.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rNeil H

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 5:56 am

Perhaps L mount with Sirui 3 lens set to start?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

zakforsman

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 7:34 am

Re: L-mount. Has BMD updated firmware (or at least commented on) so shooters can toggle on “linear focus” on their fly-by-wire lenses?

carlomacchiavello

Pyxis L mount vs PL

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 11:01 am

L mount with adapter for Ef mount
If you have a large set of Ef glass it’s ok, if you have few lenses better to replace them with newer lenses when you will could afford them

Actually I had only Ef lenses set and adapter for Fuji, Sony, Panasonic. That mean I could afford very good glasses at good price, and adapt to all cameras. I don’t know in future, but know is a good deal for me and different camera setup (actually Blackmagic Design and Fuji, but often I collaborate with Sony and Panasonic users.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Florent Piovesan

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 11:19 am

Even though I own a lot of EF glass (including cine) after having the Cinema Camera 6K with L mount I would pick L again for the Pixys if I was buying it. L is more versatile and the Sigma MC 21 is rock solid for example and I actually still only use EF lenses with the L mount. L is more flexible. I have a few other mechanical adapters for Contax Yashica and M42 too from Urth. Of Two Lands on YT if you want some example/setup images :).
https://www.oftwolands.com
Cameras: OG BMPCC, BMPCC6K, BMPCC6K PRO, BMCC6K
Past: UMP4.6K, BMPCC4K
Computers: Mac Studio M1 Max & MacBook Air 15 M2

WahWay

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 1:57 pm

Problem is with EF mount macro lenses using L mount to EF adapter the iris changes on focus distance. BMD need to fix that.

Chris Leutger

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 7:37 pm

Thanks for all who weighed in on this. I have a set of Contax Duclos modded lenses in EF mount and that locking EF was looking sexy to me. However, as everyone points out, the future of whether those are the only glass I'll ever use is pretty slim. That removes that as a point in the Pyxis' favor as I decide between the CC6K and the Pyxis. Future glass would likely be PL mount.

Flo, your channel was already influencing my thoughts about the CC6K until the Pyxis muddied those waters. If that camera was the size of the BS1H, it would be Pyxis for sure. Now, I'll need to rent to decide.
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Howard Roll

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 3:25 pm

The locking EF mount is sexy. How much size, weight, cost does it require to achieve the same functionality with adapters? Gonna need some intermediate mount or cage to properly lock it all down. I’ve got a couple flavors of locking EF for the Komodo and they add beteen 300 and 550 grams, neither was inexpensive. Shame the mount isn’t interchangeable.

Good Luck

focuspulling

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 4:07 pm

I went for EF mount for a few reasons: (1) locking, as discussed here; (2) adapters frequently hellish as to incompatibility (and wiggle/durability); (3) more mature ecosystem of in-lens image stabilization on EF-mount lenses than the fledgling L-mount; (4) symmetry with my BMPCC6k Pro. Literally, L-mount was what kept me away from the FF Pocket.
Last edited by focuspulling on Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

Scott Stacy

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 6:51 pm

Howard Roll wrote:The locking EF mount is sexy. How much size, weight, cost does it require to achieve the same functionality with adapters? Gonna need some intermediate mount or cage to properly lock it all down. I’ve got a couple flavors of locking EF for the Komodo and they add beteen 300 and 550 grams, neither was inexpensive. Shame the mount isn’t interchangeable.

Good Luck

I am looking at the EF locking version. The L-mount will have the same problem as a straight-up EF mount: some slop and jiggly focus motor movement.

Howard, have you found RED EF locking mechanisms sufficient to support focus motor strain with the inherent slop associated with straight EF mounts?
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
Geforce RTX 3090
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 18.6
BMD Pocket 6k Pro

Howard Roll

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 10:24 pm

My current jam is the Kippertie in PL and Locking EF. I also have the 8Sinn cage with locking EF Speedbooster and it’s mediocre by comparison. Kippertie is in the same tier as Vocas and MTF Services, as such their stuff is top notch, rock solid, precisely machined, and most importantly well designed and integrated with the camera. They don’t make an L to EF however.

Good Luck

Kingdombuilder

PostThu May 02, 2024 7:50 pm

I have already pre-ordered the Pyxis as well and I got the Locking EF mount. I'm thinking of grabbing a couple of New Micro Studio 4K G2 cams and use speedbooster where I can use the same inexpensive EF lenses. I had the same thought process as the OP especially as L mount is more adaptable. I like that the EF lenses are now less expensive and I try to shoot as native as possible as a rule of thumb. Not to mention I already have some EF Glass to use. Just my take anyway.

rNeil H

PostThu May 02, 2024 9:41 pm

I'm still looking at L mount with a 3 set of Sirui lenses ... haven't seen something to completely put a hex on that.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography