BMPCC 6K Pro stops recording on Samsung T7 SSD

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jazia Media

BMPCC 6K Pro stops recording on Samsung T7 SSD

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 7:48 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm really stuck so I decided to post my question here. Today I was shooting a video for a client in Marrakech on my BMPCC 6K Pro, Constant Bitrate, 8:1, 60 FPS onto my Samsung SSD T7.

I've never had any issues with this setup, but all of a sudden today it kept stopping with recording after 8 seconds, 10 seconds, sometimes 2 seconds. And if I would quickly press record again, I could film for up to like 40 seconds if I was lucky. But then the same trend would happen.

I had another Samsung SSD T7 with me, switched to that one and tried recording. Tried switching the (default) cables, but still the same issue.

I was thinking it was maybe due to the weather, it was about 30 degrees Celcius. But when I shot in Jordan a couple months back, minutes on end there was no issue. And I decided to take a break and live it in a room with AC but that didn't help. And when I switched to 6K full frame and tried recording 24 FPS seconds there was no issue.

I read in the forums that might card might be too slow, but I double checked the specs and it can write up to 500 mbit/s - 1000 mbit/s so this shouldn't be the issue right?

Also, I have never had this problem before. I also formatted both cards before the shoot so there wasn't anything on it.

I saw some people recommend the Angel CFast cards, but they are out of stock and also crazy expensive.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, or if you have any suggestions. But all help is greatly appreciated!

Cary Knoop

Re: BMPCC 6K Pro stops recording on Samsung T7 SSD

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 8:08 pm

How long and how intense has the SSD been used?

Frequent rewrites using NAND (or other similar technologies) come at a performance cost.

Poozon

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 8:49 pm

You should consider using a different SSD, e.g. Samsung T7 Shield which is there on the list of officially supported media.

Jazia Media

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 8:28 am

Cary Knoop wrote:How long and how intense has the SSD been used?

Frequent rewrites using NAND (or other similar technologies) come at a performance cost.

I think I have used it for about a year, the other one maybe 6 months. And I don't have shoots very often, but if I do have one (maybe 2-3 per month) I think I shoot on in for about 3-6 hours but it is mostly 24 fps, and then 2-3 minutes 60 fps.

But indeed, in the beginning not an issue (with the older and newer one that I bought). But even with the new one, I had the same issue yesterday.

Jazia Media

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 8:29 am

Poozon wrote:You should consider using a different SSD, e.g. Samsung T7 Shield which is there on the list of officially supported media.

Hmmm, I thought all Samsung SSD were the same so I will have a look into that thank you!

Jazia Media

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 9:23 am

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your help and feedback, greatly appreciated :)

After the comments and doing more research, I figured out that even though my Samsung SSD T7 could work doesn't means it is meant for my specific workflow/workload.

So I ordered the Angelbird AV PRO SE (CFexpress type B, 512 GB), I saw in comments that people trusted and used these the most. The website states it can record up to 8K RAW and I shoot in 6K. Plus, I also bought the native card reader just to speed up the process Angelbird CFexpress Type B MK2 (USB-C).

I'm confident that now I shouldn't run into this problem hopefully, hopefully, it will be worth the investment :)

Thank you so much to everyone, your comments really helped!

Return to Cinematography