Remote power on/off solution for BMPCC 4K?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

oceanus

Remote power on/off solution for BMPCC 4K?

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 8:26 pm

Hello BM mind,
I have a question about remote control of the power on/off on the BMPCC 4K.

The question is if I turn the camera on/off switch to the "on" position, and leave it on, while having the 12V power cable connected and hooked up to a power source, and then switch the power on and off with a switch on the power cable, (instead of using the switch on the camera), will this method of turning the camera on/off work properly? Are there any issues regarding any possible harm to the camera by doing on/off in this way? I think it probably should not. But, I'm asking since I don't want to burn out or harm the camera by this method of turning it on and off.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can provide some knowledgeable input about this. Thanks in advance!

oceanus

Re: Remote power on/off solution for BMPCC 4K?

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:12 pm

I did reach out to BM support with this question, and I just received a reply which was very helpful, thank you Black Magic!

"Thank you for reaching out about this particular workflow.

I reached out to a repair technician and they did express some concerns with that workflow.

If you leave the power switch on by default, and use a remote switch to turn it on or off, then you may short the power module.

This is something we do not recommend doing."

So, unfortunately, it looks like this potential solution is a definite no go. But at least this is good to know, and will make sure that no one who reads this will fry their camera. Oh well, I will have to try accessing the on/off switch on the camera itself, which will be somewhat difficult.

Return to Cinematography