Firmware Feature for BM Camera App

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

gk16blman

Firmware Feature for BM Camera App

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:48 pm

I sent this request in via the website, and Adam B., who graciously responded very quickly and suggest I post this request here.

I love this app. It is well thought out, and works really very well. I would love to ditch the Filmic Pro App I have been using, except for 1 feature. Because of preference in workflows, I record video in Apple ProRes 4;2:2 10 bit LT. I am using an iPhone 13 Pro Max phone. I can record in 60fps slow motion, which yields really good results.

However, the BM camera App, slow motion is only in the HEVC H.265 CODEC. Which does work fine, but I would really like to see 60fps be instigated in the Apple ProRes Codecs too. I know my phone-and Im sure newer models, can handle this, since Filmic allows me to to this.

I imagine this might be a simple request but has a lot more engineering coding behind the scenes that I am unaware of, but as Filimic is dying a fairly quick death, this feature would be a great addition to your Camera App

Thanks!

Uli Plank

Re: Firmware Feature for BM Camera App

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 3:17 am

If you need that now, have a look at Cinema P3 Camera. I’m not sure it can do that on your iPhone, but they offer a test period. No subscription, BTW. I know Robedge hates it, for whatever reason, but it’s you who decides.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

robedge

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 3:03 pm

Uli Plank wrote:If you need that now, have a look at Cinema P3 Camera. I’m not sure it can do that on your iPhone, but they offer a test period. No subscription, BTW. I know Robedge hates it, for whatever reason, but it’s you who decides.

You’ve reached a new height Uli. Now you’re pitching Cinema P3 without even knowing whether it will address the poster’s issue.

With the latest update to the Blackmagic Camera app, and the announcement that it will be expanded to Android, I figured that you might stop taking every opportunity to use the Blackmagic forum to help Tom Blackburn sell his app. Evidently not :)

I see that the Cinema P3 Users Group is now down to 147 members. Maybe you’ll have better luck elsewhere.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Uli Plank

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 7:52 am

robedge wrote:Now you’re pitching Cinema P3 without even knowing whether it will address the poster’s issue.
Do you really assume I'm that stupid? Well, I won't comment on that.
But it's obvious that you don't know the app you despise so much. At all.

@Greg
Yes it does 60 fps in ProRes, and you can even use better quality than ProRes LT if needed and/or UHD:
Slo-Mo.jpg
Slo-Mo.jpg (152.12 KiB) Viewed 338 times
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Uli Plank

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 8:06 am

robedge wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:If you need that now, have a look at Cinema P3 Camera. I’m not sure it can do that on your iPhone, but they offer a test period. No subscription, BTW. I know Robedge hates it, for whatever reason, but it’s you who decides.
To make reading easier for Rob, I have emphasised one word.

robedge

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 11:49 am

How bizarre :)

The person who started this thread said this about the Blackmagic Camera app:

I love this app. It is well thought out, and works really very well. I would love to ditch the Filmic Pro App I have been using, except for 1 feature.

He discussed his feature request (ProRes 60fps) with a Blackmagic employee, at whose suggestion he started this thread.

For you, this wasn’t an opportunity to discuss the feature request, It was just another opportunity to use the Blackmagic forum to help Tom Blackburn sell copies of his Cinema P3 video app. This time, you don’t even know whether Blackburn’s app will deliver ProRes 60fps on the poster’s iPhone 13 Pro Max. Doesn’t matter. Get the guy to load Blackburn’s app on his phone. As part of the pitch, stress that the app doesn’t require a paid subscription. As you always do, omit the reason: one has to purchase Blackburn’s app. As you also know, Blackburn can set an additional price for new features whenever he wants. This isn’t one filmmaker talking with another. It’s someone selling used cars.

Months ago, you specifically acknowledged the inappropriateness of your increasingly frequent posts bashing Blackmagic’s own app, and advising people to use Blackburn’s instead. Consequently, you started a thread devoted to Cinema P3. Maybe because this is a Blackmagic forum, it turned out that people weren’t very interested in your thread. So back you went to seizing opportunities in other threads to sell Blackburn’s app.

As I said earlier in this thread:

With the latest update to the Blackmagic Camera app, and the announcement that it will be expanded to Android, I figured that you might stop taking every opportunity to use the Blackmagic forum to help Tom Blackburn sell his app.

This is not about me “hating” Blackburn’s app, and you know it. That’s just your attempt at spin. I do think that people should know that Blackburn's app, in the roughly three years that he’s been selling it, has yet to crack the App Store’s top 100 photo and video apps, and that his User Group has attracted very few people. As a result of your activities, there may be more discussion about Cinema P3 on this Blackmagic forum than there is on Cinema P3’s own.
Last edited by robedge on Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uli Plank

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 12:08 pm

Well, if Greg as the TO has discussed the issue with a BM employee, what else is there to say about BM's app?
He's missing exactly one feature, and he can decide by himself if he wants to wait for it or if Cinema P3 might be a solution for him. For finding out, it'll cost him nothing, there's a trial period.

Why do you always try to think for other people? I suppose Greg can do that on his own.

Oh, and BTW, I have already discussed the question of higher data rates in HEVC for BM's app with them, which might make the function discussed above unnecessary and would probably be helpful for others too. But, depending on Gregs's computer, ProRes might still be the better solution for him.
Last edited by Uli Plank on Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robedge

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 12:12 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Well, if Greg as the TO has discussed the issue with a BM employee, what else is there to say about BM's app?

He started this thread at the suggestion of a Blackmagic employee, and you hijacked it with another one of your Blackburn sales pitches.

Uli Plank

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 12:17 pm

Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to ask him for the next million € from those 147 users :-)
I hope you get even more from BM for your sales pitches, selling BM's accessories for the iPhone:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=191338

robedge

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 1:12 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I hope you get even more from BM for your sales pitches, selling BM's accessories for the iPhone:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=191338

Man, you’re starting to get more than a little weird.

Uli’s link is for the first page of a forum thread about accessories, such as phone cages, tripods, ND filters, etc, for use with the Blackmagic Camera app. I’m one of the participants in the thread, which currently runs 10 pages. View counts on this forum aren’t reliable, but the thread’s current count (309,000) suggests that members of the forum, and non-members who find the thread from searches, have found it useful.

With one exception, I’ve never even referred to Blackmagic's camera and editing accessories in the thread. If I recall, I have posted a couple of videos about how Blackmagic Cloud works. Personally, I’ve never used it.

Return to Cinematography