Microphone cable questions and a surprise!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

RichDorato

Re: Microphone cable questions and a surprise!

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 8:39 pm

I pre-ordered on the day at NAB with two authorized sellers (listed on the front page), and both say they've yet to receive a single camera and have absolutely no idea when any will ever arrive.

This is crazy.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Costa wrote:
mhood wrote:Have they cleared their preorder list with one left over to sell over the counter? Yes or no...without thinking about it.

Only thing transparent about this company is their lies.

Why are you here if you don't believe anything they say? The point of an official forum over an unofficial forum is dev interaction.

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 8:44 pm

We should request a VOIP Q&A with Grant. This is going to far.

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 8:45 pm

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:
Costa wrote:
mhood wrote:Have they cleared their preorder list with one left over to sell over the counter? Yes or no...without thinking about it.

Only thing transparent about this company is their lies.

Why are you here if you don't believe anything they say? The point of an official forum over an unofficial forum is dev interaction.

I didn't know this before I came here... obvious really.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 8:47 pm

Costa wrote:

And yet you remain and even demand more contact, contact you've already said you won't believe.....

RichDorato

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 8:48 pm

I feel like this forum works as nothing more than confirmation that most of us are getting screwed over.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 8:53 pm

Costa wrote:

And yet you remain and even demand more contact, contact you've already said you won't believe.....

Have you ever tried to lie to someone's face? That's why I requested VOIP. The BMD rep at creative was full of crap too. My friend and I walked away knowing it was all lies and he knew we could tell. The truthccame out in the end. His best line was "the hyperdeck studio pro was supposed to be released in September". We said try July... it was a July release date.

Christian Schmeer

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 9:17 pm

All I want is for BMD to tell the resellers (and us of course) exactly what can be expected when. I would like for the reseller from which I pre-ordered my BMCC to be able to tell me when to expect shipment of my camera. I know it won't be tomorrow and it's very unlikely to be next week, but knowing around what time to expect it would help me a lot in organising my projects around it, as shooting in RAW is integral to one of my upcoming projects.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Benton wrote:... To answer your question: "What will you primarily be using your BMCC for?" I am aiming for commercials, music videos and short films. I come from a background in advertising still life and am moving into the world of motion. I have a few sample videos posted on my web site: bentoncollins.com ...

Hi Benton: Beautiful work on your website! I look forward to seeing what you do with your BMCC once you get the hang of it. Cheers.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 9:26 pm

I sure hope Grant Petty's update "this week" (Friday?) includes concrete BMCC shipping volumes numbers & dates!

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 9:30 pm

Costa wrote:

Have you ever tried to lie to someone's face? That's why I requested VOIP. The BMD rep at creative was full of crap too. My friend and I walked away knowing it was all lies and he knew we could tell. The truthccame out in the end. His best line was "the hyperdeck studio pro was supposed to be released in September". We said try July... it was a July release date.

My experience with reps at events is that when they are lying its generally an attempt to cover up that they don't know. Hell the fact that the lie is covering up a lack of knowledge makes it harder to do it successfully. A prepared lie is a hell of a lot easier to sell than one on the spot.

Going into an interview believing you'll see bs and you will.

A company that wanted to deceive us would do a better job of it than this. BMD have always given me the impression of enthusiastic but not terribly organised. Your anecdote nearly reinforces that.

RobertGreenberg

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi All, This is Robert Greenberg President of G&G Technologies. It has been brought to my attention that someone has posted that G&G has received approximately 25 cameras. As of this moment G&G has only received ONE camera. We have posted on our web site that we are out of stock. When anybody has called us we have let them know that we do not know when our next shipment will arrive, and how many we will be receiving. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Robert Greenberg

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 9:40 pm

RobertGreenberg wrote:Hi All, This is Robert Greenberg President of G&G Technologies. It has been brought to my attention that someone has posted that G&G has received approximately 25 cameras. As of this moment G&G has only received ONE camera. We have posted on our web site that we are out of stock. When anybody has called us we have let them know that we do not know when our next shipment will arrive, and how many we will be receiving. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Robert Greenberg

Did you have NO preorders to fulfill ? Or you did and you gave it to a random? Or you're giving us the BMD truth? Think hard as this is now making YOU and your company look bad.

Basically you MUST have had preorders.... so either you didn't give it to the first on your list or its the BMD truth. So think hard.

bhook

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 9:41 pm

RobertGreenberg wrote:Hi All, This is Robert Greenberg President of G&G Technologies. It has been brought to my attention that someone has posted that G&G has received approximately 25 cameras. As of this moment G&G has only received ONE camera. We have posted on our web site that we are out of stock. When anybody has called us we have let them know that we do not know when our next shipment will arrive, and how many we will be receiving. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Robert Greenberg

Hi Robert. Perhaps you can clear this up then. This is what was posted on your Website until a while ago when it was updated:

We just sold out of our first shipment. We filled all our orders with customers who had a deposit and we are once again taking a 25% ($750) deposit towards our next shipment.

Here is what you updated:

We are once again taking a 25% ($750) deposit towards our next shipment.

Are we to understand that you received only one camera and opted to sell it over the counter rather than deliver it to your ranking preorder?

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 9:48 pm

Costa wrote:

My experience with reps at events is that when they are lying its generally an attempt to cover up that they don't know. Hell the fact that the lie is covering up a lack of knowledge makes it harder to do it successfully. A prepared lie is a hell of a lot easier to sell than one on the spot.

Going into an interview believing you'll see bs and you will.

A company that wanted to deceive us would do a better job of it than this. BMD have always given me the impression of enthusiastic but not terribly organised. Your anecdote nearly reinforces that.

Considering he was the self proclaimed head of UK distribution I doubt he didn't know.

Cameron Mckinlay

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 11:21 pm

Why are christine's answers so vague and not informative at all. This company at one point could of had such a great following and product. Now they are just hurting themselves. I do wish i would of bought one of those discounted scarlets and stopped dealing with BMD and their endless lies and beating around the bush.
Cameron Mckinlay

bhook

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 12:16 am

How many of you remember 19 pages of authorized US resellers? Apparently, that's what's coming. ;)

cgurtlinger

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 12:34 am

mhood wrote:How many of you remember 19 pages of authorized US resellers? Apparently, that's what's coming. ;)

I don't remember that at all, but I guess that's what happens after they announce a camera of this magnitude everyone wanted to drink the BMD Kool-Aid :mrgreen: :lol: and jump on the band wagon ;)

cinematicRAW

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 1:08 am

@ mhood

I ordered my camera from an authorized dealer in Austin, and I paid for the camera in full, and they have told me repeatedly that they have no info, and have no idea when they will receive a shipment. I think at minimum the Authorized dealers should be provided with some decent info so at least they could keep their customers informed.

Benton Collins

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 2:10 am

Wow, If I knew how explosive this was going to become, I would have kept my mouth shut. I sincerely apologize to everyone for lighting this fuse, it's only caused aggravation! G&G and BMD included. That said, the numbers I reported are what I honestly heard over the phone. If miss heard or they miss spoke, that is not out of the realm of the impossible. Either way this is more about honest communication and fair practices than a specific number. I know for certain that I was told that they did have a pre-order list that had been filled prior to the rouge BMCC listing on their web site which I snagged.

But just to put this into perspective and I know this is easy for me to say since I just received my BMCC. BMD is NOT a seasoned camera manufacturer. This is their first camera and I suspect that designing and building it pressed their capabilities to beyond what had previously been in their comfort zone. I would bet that this camera threw them curves that they never expected. But in the end BMD has done what no other manufacturer in history has done, given the film world a true 13 stops of dynamic range cinema camera for an unbelievably low price of $2,995. Yes, their communications could be a lot better about realistic shipping dates, but I imagine that they are sweating bullets and trying their best to deliver these cameras to everyone as soon as possible. Right now they're doing a PR dance which may be a bit of stretched truth optimism for delivery in the midst of the reality and pitfalls of manufacturing.

Does it suck that it's been so delayed? Absolutely, but I doubt that was part of their plan. This is not just another hundredth model of a Sony camera rolling out. Even if I was on a wait list (which I was expecting and prepared for), I would still say give'm a break, not a free pass for consumer abuse, just a bit of understanding. They're practically giving us a flying car here! The camera is real, it's built like a tank and I hope everyone here gets theirs soon!

bhook

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 2:16 am

Mongo merely pawn in game of life. ;)

imdjay

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 3:36 am

Benton i'd certainly take you up on your offer to come say hi to you and your new toy. im right up in astoria and am in the city and brooklyn all the time. hit me up at dlevine at glfx dotcom i can bring over some toys to try with it if you'd like
Darren Levine
NYC C100 Shooter/Editor
mediahalo profile with equipment list: http://www.mediahalo.com/p/dlevine/

Edgar Matos (Rocket)

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 4:10 am

Count me in. i'm a filmmaker living in manhattan. Beton, you're practically my neighbor. So, if you need help just let me know. It would be interesting to see what the magic can do with my own eyes.
Imdjay said he want to play with his toys too. man... that sound creepy. keep it low, there could be kids reading this :lol:

Benton Collins

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 4:26 am

Hi Rocket and imdjay,

We can definately do that, I all for networking. Give me about a week to get things running, I need to upgrade a few things with my computer first and I'm still waiting on delivery of a couple of SSD drives. Right now I can only look through the camera but cannot record anything!

Benton

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 4:45 am

Benton wrote:I'm still waiting on delivery of a couple of SSD drives. Right now I can only look through the camera but cannot record anything!

Benton

I hope you've read the posts here regarding SSDs and have ordered drives listed in the BMCC manual and not their support web page of recommended drives which is inaccurate. Best of luck with everything!
Rick Lang

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 6:57 am

Benton wrote:Wow, If I knew how explosive this was going to become, I would have kept my mouth shut. I sincerely apologize to eve practices than a specific number. I know for certain that I was told that they did have a pre-order list that had been filled prior to the rouge BMCC listing on their web site which I snagged.

But just to put this into perspective and I know this is easy for me to say since I just received my BMCC. BMD is NOT a seasoned camera m

Enough of that. They are seasoned at hyperdeck yet we're still waiting on the pro. That too had been delayed since July. No one use that excuse for them again as it doesn't fly. Plus the director of G&G hasn't replied as I thought.

Benton Collins

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Benton wrote:... To answer your question: "What will you primarily be using your BMCC for?" I am aiming for commercials, music videos and short films. I come from a background in advertising still life and am moving into the world of motion. I have a few sample videos posted on my web site: bentoncollins.com ...

Hi Benton: Beautiful work on your website! I look forward to seeing what you do with your BMCC once you get the hang of it. Cheers.

Thanks very much Peter! And best of luck with your work when you get the camera!

Tom Sefton

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Yes - very nice work Benton.

I am getting damned impatient now - I ordered ours in April and paid in full!
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 2:11 pm

Pollenstudio wrote:Yes - very nice work Benton.

I am getting damned impatient now - I ordered ours in April and paid in full!

Where are people seeing Benton's work?

bhook

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 2:33 pm

bentoncollins.com It's really excellent.

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 2:49 pm

mhood wrote:bentoncollins.com It's really excellent.

Yes just seen it. Very good work.

Benton Collins

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 3:21 pm

rick.lang wrote:I hope you've read the posts here regarding SSDs and have ordered drives listed in the BMCC manual and not their support web page of recommended drives which is inaccurate. Best of luck with everything!

Thanks Rick! I took your recomendation and went with the SanDisc Extreme 480. I am waiting to recieve two Samsung drives, but I'll return those. Well, I may keep and try them out for non capture use. General (non-pro) customer reviews for these are pretty high.

RobertGreenberg

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi All,
Let me reiterate, G&G Technologies has only received one camera. We did not have any pre-orders since we had no idea when any would be arriving. We knew when any arrived we would be able to sell that inventory immediately. When they arrived we advertised that we had one in stock on Google and Bing. In the first 10 hours we received 2 orders. We filled the first one and let the other customer know that we were sorry that his order did not arrive first. As far as what we have on order with BM that is our business only. I wish you all well and hope you can become future customers of G&G. As the units arrive we will put up ads on Google and Bing again. I hope this will finally clear up any confusion that has been created on this forum.

Robert Greenberg

bhook

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 3:37 pm

RobertGreenberg wrote:I hope this will finally clear up any confusion that has been created on this forum.

Robert Greenberg

Robert, the confusion was created on your own Website:

We just sold out of our first shipment. We filled all our orders with customers who had a deposit and we are once again taking a 25% ($750) deposit towards our next shipment.

But if you don't want to address that confusion, then so be it.

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 3:48 pm

RobertGreenberg wrote: I hope this will finally clear up any confusion that has been created on this forum.

Robert Greenberg

Oh yes, the confusion created on this forum about YOUR company selling out of pre-orders that YOU yourself listed and created on your website. Oh yes we're all a lot less confused now. As for becoming a future customer? No thanks.

So just to clear things up and be less "confused"... are you saying that YOUR company are liars and not BMD?
Last edited by Costa Louvieris on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertGreenberg

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 3:48 pm

This will be my last post about this matter. The way we phrased that we were out of stock on our web site was just plain wrong. The employee who did that was just trying to make us look good. But if you read the statement, there is nothing said that is not the truth. "We just sold out of our first shipment. We filled all our orders with customers who had a deposit and we are once again taking a 25% ($750) deposit towards our next shipment." Never thought in a million years that this would cause any problems. When it was brought to my attention it was immediately changed. We have been in business for 25 years. We strive to give the best customer service as we can. I believe that we have done the right thing by not promoting and trying to take orders for this new camera until the company can build enough.

imdjay

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 3:51 pm

well benton if you're just waiting on SSDs i happen to have one lying around just for my BMC, also some 12v batteries.... so if you were itching to have that record button do something, i have the magic key ;)
Darren Levine
NYC C100 Shooter/Editor
mediahalo profile with equipment list: http://www.mediahalo.com/p/dlevine/

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 3:54 pm

RobertGreenberg wrote:This will be my last post about this matter. The way we phrased that we were out of stock on our web site was just plain wrong. The employee who did that was just trying to make us look good. But if you read the statement, there is nothing said that is not the truth. "We just sold out of our first shipment. We filled all our orders with customers who had a deposit and we are once again taking a 25% ($750) deposit towards our next shipment." Never thought in a million years that this would cause any problems. When it was brought to my attention it was immediately changed. We have been in business for 25 years. We strive to give the best customer service as we can. I believe that we have done the right thing by not promoting and trying to take orders for this new camera until the company can build enough.

And what of the person on the phone that said you had 25 sold already?

bhook

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 3:59 pm

RobertGreenberg wrote:This will be my last post about this matter. The way we phrased that we were out of stock on our web site was just plain wrong. The employee who did that was just trying to make us look good. But if you read the statement, there is nothing said that is not the truth. "We just sold out of our first shipment. We filled all our orders with customers who had a deposit and we are once again taking a 25% ($750) deposit towards our next shipment." Never thought in a million years that this would cause any problems. When it was brought to my attention it was immediately changed. We have been in business for 25 years. We strive to give the best customer service as we can. I believe that we have done the right thing by not promoting and trying to take orders for this new camera until the company can build enough.

Yes, after you were contacted by BMD it was immediately changed to:

We are once again taking a 25% ($750) deposit towards our next shipment.

Which is not conqruent with your above statement about not taking preorders (with deposits of $750) "ONCE AGAIN". And to play the old "nothing said that is not the truth" semantic game doesn't fly either because even your updated information describes preorders. Yea, I don't think I'd want to do business with your company either.

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 4:01 pm

hahahahahaha.. I don't know if I am supposed to laugh or not, but this is so funny!! You guys are doing some serious first class detective work!! decoding on the subtext!!

Luke Armstrong

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 4:10 pm

RobertGreenberg wrote: Never thought in a million years that this would cause any problems

To be fair, what was said by your employee was designed to make customers think you had already sold units previously to this, so whether you lied or you were just trying to make yourselves look good you've shown that you're dishonest.

What a sorry mess this is for you.
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 4:17 pm

Luke Armstrong wrote:
RobertGreenberg wrote: Never thought in a million years that this would cause any problems

To be fair, what was said by your employee was designed to make customers think you had already sold units previously to this, so whether you lied or you were just trying to make yourselves look good you've shown that you're dishonest.

What a sorry mess this is for you.

I still believe they are dishonest, but for different reasons... I think they were told to lie by BMD. They lied in retaliation to the truth which is not what BMD wanted. But then I'm a conspiracy theorist it seems:) Either way they LIED and lost a lot of future customers in the process.

bhook

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Luke Armstrong wrote:What a sorry mess this is for you.

It's a bit of a sorry mess for me too. I have preordered and prepaid in full with the understanding that I would have my camera in the order of preorders. That BMD would send ANY cameras to a reseller without a preorder list and with a stated strategy to sell their stock over the counter as it arrives is VERY unnerving. Limited cameras should ship to preorders and shelves should be stocked only after ALL preorders have been delivered. Of course, BMD may not do it that way...I recall attempts to divorce themselves from the preorder process...but they are the vehicle for my preorder. I heard about preorders on the BMD Website and I selected my authorized reseller from a short list on the BMD Website.

This is becoming a pretty sorry mess for lots of folks (and companies).

Luke Armstrong

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 4:45 pm

mhood wrote: I have preordered and prepaid in full with the understanding that I would have my camera in the order of preorders. That BMD would send ANY cameras to a reseller without a preorder list and with a stated strategy to sell their stock over the counter as it arrives is VERY unnerving

I too preordered from CVP in the UK on the assumption that as a BMD approved seller I would have my order fulfilled before freesales buyers or unauthorized retailers...

Frankly I no longer have any sympathy for BMC - as the customer it simply isn't my problem that BMD has issues with its suppliers - if the buck doesn't stop with BMD where does it stop? Take some responsibility! You've had months to test these cameras, build them and release them and you're not new at making products!

The updates contain relatively little substance and seem to be designed to keep customers in the dark about what is going on.

I'm not going to cut BMD a break, because I've never had to wait for any product from anyone for any reason three months after it was supposed to be released.

There are hundreds of sad stories on here and BMD should read a few so it can understand the pain it has caused with the unrealistic release dates, mis-information and poor communication.

I still want my camera, I believe it is the best in its price bracket at present - but I can't help how I've been made to feel.

What the actual **** is going on BMD? This is unacceptable!

RobertGreenberg

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 4:53 pm

I am flabbergasted. First for all of you who are mad at BMD or G&G, stop acting like spoiled children. If you know how business works then you would have been done with conversation long ago. BMD has authorized dealers. We all place our orders. BMD has tried to give a camera to the earliest orders. We have many more on order and we received one. How would you like a manufacture to send products to there dealer network. They look at past history, the largest dealers get the largest allocations. I am sure there are dealers that have received a couple of more then G&G.
As far as what was said by a salesman, I am not sure and either are you. We sold a camera, we did not deceive anybody. If this person did not go on this forum and spread his gospel then none of you would have even known what was on our web site since we were not promoting this product. Did he not receive the camera we promised him. We did not go on this forum and deceive any of you. The only ones who are being unethical now are you for not accepting a mistake and apology.

bhook

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Just to make it clear: I don't appreciate being called names, I think you were intentionally deceitful on your Website (twice) and I do not find your apology any more palatable than your refusal to own your obvious deceit. Many of us are flabbergasted Robert.

As my dear Grandmother used to say: Don't pee on my head and tell me it's raining.

Luke Armstrong

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 5:04 pm

RobertGreenberg wrote:I am flabbergasted. First for all of you who are mad at BMD or G&G, stop acting like spoiled children. If you know how business works then you would have been done with conversation long ago. BMD has authorized dealers. We all place our orders. BMD has tried to give a camera to the earliest orders. We have many more on order and we received one. How would you like a manufacture to send products to there dealer network. They look at past history, the largest dealers get the largest allocations. I am sure there are dealers that have received a couple of more then G&G.
As far as what was said by a salesman, I am not sure and either are you. We sold a camera, we did not deceive anybody. If this person did not go on this forum and spread his gospel then none of you would have even known what was on our web site since we were not promoting this product. Did he not receive the camera we promised him. We did not go on this forum and deceive any of you. The only ones who are being unethical now are you for not accepting a mistake and apology.

Wow, I'm amazed you've been in business for 25 years if you talk to customers like that...

What audacity... Most of what you said made no sense. CVP publicly states it put down a large order on the day of announcement at NAB, and it was the first - they've not had one camera yet.

"Spoiled children" who've put down $2k of their hard earned cash for a long frustrating wait... not helped by people like you confusing the situation with your marketing bull. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Last edited by Luke Armstrong on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Benton wrote:Thanks Rick! I took your recomendation and went with the SanDisc Extreme 480. I am waiting to recieve two Samsung drives, but I'll return those. Well, I may keep and try them out for non capture use. General (non-pro) customer reviews for these are pretty high.

That's good. The Samsung SSDs are the same Apple has used in their laptops and have been well received for general purpose work including a glowing review by AnandTech. They were recommended by BMD until a recent firmware revision caused difficulties I believe when they are used for lengthy streaming. So they are good and could be used for other things, just not at this time in the BMCC. The Sandisks are actually not the most expensive SSDs and have performed so well in the BMCC.

You must feel your life has suddenly been transformed with all the demands of being one of the early recipients of the camera. It's a burden you'll bear well I'm sure! We're really looking forward to what you'll be posting soon. If you're married, your wife may feel like a widow, if you're a parent, the kids may feel like orphans. But forget them, you have a greater calling!
Rick Lang

Christine Peterson

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Locking this thread. Let's keep it civil, please.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)
Previous

Return to Cinematography