Scandisk SDXC 280mbs/ 250mbs ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Timothy Cook

Scandisk SDXC 280mbs/ 250mbs ?

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 10:46 pm

Just curious if anyone is using this card for the pocket cinema? ScanDisk SDXC 280/250
I know that the ScanDisk 90mbs is very capable of handling RAW for the pocket cinema but usually every time I hit record somewhere in the first couple of seconds I get a dropped frame. It's not a big deal cause I start early and stop late while shooting. I just thought 280/250 would take care of any frame drops.

I'm new on here and the info this forum has supplied leading up to my pocket purchase has been invaluable.

Thanks,
Tim Cook
Not the CEO your thinking.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

AdrianSierkowski

Re: Scandisk SDXC 280mbs/ 250mbs ?

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 11:28 pm

They are very new to market, and I've been thinking about them as well. Chances are it's a varient of it's CFAST2.0 tech they're using for the new Arri Amira cameras, for example (though that's in CF cards), and I would honestly buy--roughly at least, the read write speeds. I think a bigger question would be whether or not the BM can handle that type of interface-- chances are at present, and assuming these cards are backwards compatible-- they would behave roughly the same as the current extreme pro 90mb/s cards-- hence little to no performance enhancement. However, this is 1) making a lot of assumptions, and 2) coudl be addressed in the future to really open up these cards.
That all said, however, I think it's way too much money to spend at present when you have cards which work well for less $$/gb. But if you wanted to pick one up to test, and then perhaps return to bh saying it didn't work in your camera, for example, we'd all be interested to hear the results, i'm sure
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Timothy Cook

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 11:31 pm

Ha yes thanks Geoff, I do mean Sandisk. :? Yeah I have found that my 95mbs card is more like 75mbs when tested with the Blagicmagic speed app. And I do know that they can vary.

The reason I ask is that this seems to be a new line from Sandisk. I notice they have 16, 32, and 64 for sale on their site but places like B&H has the 64 listed as a pre order.

Not sure if anyone as picked one up yet and was just curious to see if its worth $250?

Tim
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Nehemiah Ellsperman

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 11:38 pm

Hello,

We have tested the 'new' 16-64 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 280 MB/sec SD cards with the Pocket Camera and they DO NOT work when recording in RAW OR ProRes and will not be on the certified list unless something changes in the future. SanDisk informed us that this card is UHS-II but will revert back to UHS-50 mode when it is in a UHS-I host such as the Pocket Camera. SanDisk said they are working with retailers such as B&H to guide them to the correct SD card.

So to make it clear- there will still be the SanDisk Extreme Pro 90 MB/sec card on the market which will work with RAW AND ProRes. The new SanDisk Extreme Pro 280 MB/sec card will NOT work with either.
Nehemiah Ellsperman

Hardware Certification Technician
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Timothy Cook

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks Adrian, thats enough for me to wait. I'll let someone else on here try them out and let the general community know if they work or not.
I don't have $250 to blow just incase B&H doesn't take used cards back.

See, once again the knowledge on this site has been awesome. Thanks!
Vimeo.com/dropbars

AdrianSierkowski

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 11:43 pm

And there you go.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Nehemiah Ellsperman

PostWed Mar 26, 2014 1:31 am

I can suggest a stickied thread to refer to the current list of approved SD cards. There has been discussion on whether or not to publish a 'blacklist' of non-working SD cards/SSDs but that has not been implemented yet.

I will say when we are on the topic that we have tested several SD cards that have not worked with ProRes or RAW recording so it is highly recommended to stick to the list. I know the options on the SD card list are much more limited than the SSD certified list. We are always trying to test new media to provide more working choices.
Nehemiah Ellsperman

Blackmagic Design Inc.

Robert Niessner

PostWed Mar 26, 2014 1:42 am

When testing the SD cards - did you format them with OS's tools or with the special formatting tool from sdcard.org? Would like to know if there is an impact on performance or not.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Mar 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Thank you Nehemiah for clearing any speculation about the new UHS-II cards, it's just as i expected and tried to explain in some older threads: cards that transfer super-fast with UHS-II do not neccessarily transfer top speed in UHS-I interfaces. It's good to know that BMD already tested the new cards, but it's a pitty: downloading footage at UHS-II speed would greatly improve my health (by significantly reducing my consumption of coffee...).

Just to be clear: it's not BMDs fault that the cards won't even work for ProRes; SanDisk obviously put all effort into best UHS-II performance, but didn't implement the fastest UHS-I modes. But the pocket cam only has UHS-I interface, which was state of the art when the camera was designed.

Nehemiah Ellsperman

PostWed Mar 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Another problem that arises when discussing making a 'list of non working SD cards/SSDs' is the fact that you can have cases of something we cannot certify for all uses but, may work in some scenarios. An example of course is the much discussed SanDisk Extreme II.

You may have a SD card/SSD that works with certain codecs or in certain recording scenarios but not in others. There are more qualifiers than just working/non-working in RAW or ProRes. We cannot certify the Extreme II at this time due to inconsistency in compressed formats especially on longer recordings and problems in RAW. However, there are some users who don't have issues with it and choose it as the one they want. So there is more to not having a 'non-working' list then not wanting to blacklist a product from a storage media company. When an item is on the certified list, we are saying you can use this media with our product in any scenario and it will work. RAW, ProRes, DNxHD, 10 second recording clips or a 6 hr non-stop shot and everything in-between. If the item is not on the list, and the customer chooses to purchase it, it is up to them to see if it works with their workflow; having the list setup this way simplifies the choice of picking the recording media.

With that said, the decision is not solely mine on how to dictate the format of the FAQ's etc. I can and do pass along views that I see in the forums and will do so on this matter as well. I understand many of the arguments/views made.

When it comes to a customer posting a question on a particular product not on the list that we have tested, I will try to be quick to step in and offer some input going forward. That is what I did in this case with the SanDisk 280 MB sec Extreme Pro. There was certainly going to be confusion surrounding this newer/faster version of the SD card, but it isn't compatible with the Pocket Camera and we wanted to immediately clarify that fact.

I am regularly viewing the forums and will be posting more in the future.
Last edited by Nehemiah Ellsperman on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nehemiah Ellsperman

Blackmagic Design Inc.

AdrianSierkowski

PostWed Mar 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Fantastic Nehemiah! Glad to have you 'round!
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Nehemiah Ellsperman

PostWed Mar 26, 2014 7:50 pm

As for the question above regarding sdcard.org-

Another factor is 'ease of use' for the customer, and the discussion whether a card that would need to be formatted with a 3rd party application should be certified or not.

However, I can confirm that we have used this fomatter utility in additional testing with several SD cards and haven't seen any difference in the SD cards being able to support a RAW or even ProRes recording, compared to whether they were formatted using Disk Utility in OSX or in Windows.
Nehemiah Ellsperman

Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to Cinematography