Combating Freeze-up Lock-up - Battery Question

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jamerikaner

Combating Freeze-up Lock-up - Battery Question

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 8:18 pm

Like most modern electronics, I am sure the BMD camera will occasionally freeze-up, locking the user out and becoming unresponsive. It happens to the best of us.

When this happens with most electronics we simply remove all power sources from the gear. We reconnect and ususally we are good to go or at least can get access back and repair any damage that may have occurred. Right now, if this happens with the BMD, I see that draining the battery completely (then recharging or plugging into AC) will be the only way to get it back.

My questions are:
If the camera locks up will the only way to get it back be to let the battery drain completely followed by a lengthy recharge? A time consuming, and likely day-ending proposal.

How can we remove all power from the camera if the battery is not removable?

Will the power button serve as an effective "force quit" and when held down long enough will it safely power down the camera even if the camera is unresponsive? Have BMD engineers tested this?

Thank you

Jesuan Soriano

Re: Combating Freeze-up Lock-up - Battery Question

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 9:48 am

I've never seen any problem with non removal battery and for me it's ok to plug batteries, but yesterday I though exactly the same when a friend of mine had his cellfone to go off with a non removable battery...it's a pain...
Jesus Soriano

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 3:02 pm

Apple laptop computers have featured non-removeable batteries for a few years now, and all you have to do to power them off "in case of emergency" is hold down their power button for several seconds. Then the laptop switches off completely. Of course, my Macs crash very rarely, but this standard technique has worked perfectly every time.

Hopefully the BMCC is at least as reliable as the Apple's laptops, and perhaps has a similar power-down feature. I have reason to feel confident about the former, and await confirmation from BMD about the latter. Cheers.

Jesuan Soriano

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 5:07 pm

And you can still power up the camera with a failed battery but with an external battery pluged in..then it would be nice!!! but some warranty on that would be awesome too..
Jesus Soriano

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 6:48 am

Jesuan wrote:And you can still power up the camera with a failed battery but with an external battery pluged in..then it would be nice!!! but some warranty on that would be awesome too..

Yes, you will be able to.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 6:49 am

jamerikaner wrote:
Will the power button serve as an effective "force quit" and when held down long enough will it safely power down the camera even if the camera is unresponsive? Have BMD engineers tested this?

Thank you

Yes, if you hold down the power button long enough (approximately 10 seconds), it will force the camera to shut down if it becomes unresponsive. Of course, we will try out best to make sure you won't have to do this :)

Return to Cinematography