PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Christine Peterson

Re: Just spoke with someone

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 9:16 pm

I don't know any hard numbers myself, but there were definitely more than 5 cameras total shipped out by last Thursday. There are many rumors circulating right now, so I would take everything you hear with a grain of salt unless you hear it directly from a BMD rep.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Thank you, Christine.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:I don't know any hard numbers myself, but there were definitely more than 5 cameras total shipped out by last Thursday. There are many rumors circulating right now, so I would take everything you hear with a grain of salt unless you hear it directly from a BMD rep.

More than 5, sounds like a start :) If you can get things rolling over the next couple of weeks, we may be happy BMCC owners soon. That would definitely change the mood in this forum, which currently seems to range from :? to :evil:.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Christine Peterson

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 9:36 pm

mhood wrote:+1 I read that there were 50 authorized resellers in the US alone. At that rate, it will be 2014 before I get my camera...and Planet X destroys us in a little over a month...

Also, to clear up another misconception, there are more than 500 authorized resellers in the US... for better or worse!
Christine Peterson

Costa Louvieris

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 9:46 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:I don't know any hard numbers myself, but there were definitely more than 5 cameras total shipped out by last Thursday. There are many rumors circulating right now, so I would take everything you hear with a grain of salt unless you hear it directly from a BMD rep.

Well give us solid numbers then... sorry but IF 5 were shipped how does this mean the sensor issues are fixed? FIVE! This is beyond insane... ONLY FIVE?

When you say more than 5 what do you mean? If you don't have solid numbers why should I believe you over someone else? could more than 5 mean 6, 10, 50?

bhook

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 10:39 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:
mhood wrote:+1 I read that there were 50 authorized resellers in the US alone. At that rate, it will be 2014 before I get my camera...and Planet X destroys us in a little over a month...

Also, to clear up another misconception, there are more than 500 authorized resellers in the US... for better or worse!

Appreciate the information Christine but at one camera per Dealer to send to their preorders and with me being number eight in line at my reseller, it's pretty depressing to extrapolate expected arrival time knowing there are more than 500 authorized resellers in the US. I choose "worse".

:cry:

PaulDelVecchio

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 10:48 pm

My advice to people is exactly what Christine said. Don't trust anything you hear unless it's an official statement from Blackmagic. I had an authorized dealer tell me he/she sent out over 10 cameras already and is getting shipments of the camera come in twice a week. I personally don't believe it. I just believe what Blackmagic announces. I suggest everyone do the same because there are a lot of rumors flying around out there, and a lot of dealers apparently saying stuff just so they can look good and possibly even get more people to preorder from them.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Timtationn

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 10:56 pm

If Christine is saying there are more than 5, she must have a number. Obviously they are hiding something. If they don't know how many they shipped out, I think the company is not being managed very well. Everything from black magic has been so ambiguous. I dont think my retailer has anything to gain by telling me they have not received any yet.

bhook

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 11:23 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:Also, to clear up another misconception, there are more than 500 authorized resellers in the US... for better or worse!

Christine, I've got to ask: Have all of these 500 authorized US resellers taken preorders? Reason I ask is that even with 19 pages of authorized resellers, there aren't 500 listed on the BMD Website. Obviously, I'm trying to get a handle on how many resellers in the US are due a camera from each shipment to the US Distributor. Once BMD gives us a quantitative idea of what "volume" is, I can begin to estimate when I'll likely get my camera.

dennysb

Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 1:17 am

Christine, You are Boston! hoping you don't wash away with the storm in the north east :)

Cuboirs

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 6:53 am

More than 5 could be 6.....don't fall for it! Lol.....Christine couldn't you find out a little more being you work with BM ?? I see you post a lot more than grant!

John Brawley

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 9:17 am

Timtationn wrote:If Christine is saying there are more than 5, she must have a number. Obviously they are hiding something. If they don't know how many they shipped out, I think the company is not being managed very well. Everything from black magic has been so ambiguous. I dont think my retailer has anything to gain by telling me they have not received any yet.

BMD will never talk about numbers about any of their products. Jumping up and down and saying they're hiding something just because they won't give up the kind of commercially sensitive information no company would ever give out is a bit disingenuous.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 9:29 am

John Brawley wrote:
Timtationn wrote:If Christine is saying there are more than 5, she must have a number. Obviously they are hiding something. If they don't know how many they shipped out, I think the company is not being managed very well. Everything from black magic has been so ambiguous. I dont think my retailer has anything to gain by telling me they have not received any yet.

BMD will never talk about numbers about any of their products. Jumping up and down and saying they're hiding something just because they won't give up the kind of commercially sensitive information no company would ever give out is a bit disingenuous.

jb

I don't agree with you much John, maybe because you are so darn pro BMD ALL THE TIME even when you really shouldn't be, but I have to agree with you here. BMD have to keep some secrets so their competition don't get wind of their business dealings... any company would react the same way.

HOWEVER, I do believe it has come to the time where BMD should be telling us numbers. This is a MASSIVE delay by any companies standards and the truth and some transparency needs to occur.

John Brawley

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 10:18 am

Costa wrote:
I don't agree with you much John, maybe because you are so darn pro BMD ALL THE TIME even when you really shouldn't be, but I have to agree with you here.

That's OK. I never agree with you either.

I don't work for BMD. But I am personal friend of many of the BMD camera engineering staff and I've known many of the senior BMD team for many years, before they were even BMD.

I've also had a lot to do with the development of this camera. I feel a bit proprietal about it...well...because there's a lot of me in there...I'm very very proud of this camera and what it can do.

I'm in a difficult position because I'm privvy to a lot of information that I can't talk about. Most of the time, the rumours that fly around here are so far from the truth, it's not funny.

BMD though, do have a policy that means they do prefer to keep their cards close to their chest. Sometimes this is frustrating, but they have really good reasons for doing it. All I'm doing is offering you some hints about why you won't get the kinds of comments or statements people seem to expect.

BMD never talk about numbers. Ever. This is not a new policy with this camera. It's always been their way.

BMD haver a lot of NEW customers with the introduction of this camera. Many of them won't have dealt with BMD before, and won't understand their apparent silence on a lot of issues.

I guess I'm saying, silence doesn't mean bad stuff necessarily, or that there's something to hide as you constantly infer.

Costa wrote:HOWEVER, I do believe it has come to the time where BMD should be telling us numbers. This is a MASSIVE delay by any companies standards and the truth and some transparency needs to occur.

You know it is *just* a camera. It's also not unprecedented for a manufacturer to be late delivering an electronic item in both cameras and wider electronics.

BMD want nothing more than to give people the cameras they've pre-ordered. They are literally falling over themselves to get these things out the door. They hear and feel every anguished post. Just because they don't show it, doesn't mean it doesn't hurt them to not have them shipping. They really are throwing a lot of resources at putting things back on the road.

Yeah they'd rather not have had to delay their shipping, even though most of the delays were unexpected issues that were beyond their control. Yes they've disappointed. But who have they hurt ? Themselves and their own reputation. Enough said. It's noted. They certainly feel it. They'll have to earn your trust again.

The constant hysterical end-of-the-world conspiracy theories won't bring you a camera any sooner. Chest beating on this forum won't make them go any faster. They already are. They just don't talk about it, good or bad news. They just get on with it.

Am I BMD apologist ? Maybe. But it's more because I know that they are killing themselves to make it right.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 10:52 am

John Brawley wrote:
You know it is *just* a camera. It's also not unprecedented for a manufacturer to be late delivering an electronic item in both cameras and wider electronics.

*just* a camera... this is not like JUST a game or a hobby for us this is a livelihood, which is what BMD and maybe yourself do not understand. This is not my hobby this is my job. Also you seem to forget that BMD have also had a massive delay with the Hyperdeck Studio pro. I have pre-ordered both items since April and in the case of the Hyperdeck Studio Pro, paid for in full.

The constant hysterical end-of-the-world conspiracy theories won't bring you a camera any sooner.

No hysterical wont get it any sooner... asking reasonable questions will, which is what we've been doing. Whose being hysterical now?

Am I BMD apologist ? Maybe. But it's more because I know that they are killing themselves to make it right.
jb

Well we both agree on something again, will wonders never cease?

I didn't say they weren't killing themselves to make it right. The case in point is we DONT KNOW what they are doing as they won't tell us, which creates these "conspiracy theories".

I don't know you personally, you might well be someone I would have a dink with. I don't want you to think I am anti you. I just like to tell it how it is and be honest with people. Some people tip toe around you as you are BMD's MAN and a DOP for some show or other... I believe actions deserve respect not talking about things that you "can't" talk about, which basically is EVERYTHING. You are in the perfect position to get them talking for us, but you don't seem to want to rock the boat. It's frustrating is all.

Get on to them ask them to change their policies. I don't want a YES man and that is who they seemed to have been doing business with.

I would just like to add that I respect your knowledge.. I could learn a lot from you so please don't take this as anti your work either. Just anti your relationship/involvement with BMD.

bhook

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 11:30 am

It's not very likely that John scolding BMD customers again for trying to get some concrete idea of when they can expect their BMCs (i.e., wild conspiracy theories that are so far from the truth that he finds it laughable but not worthy of correction with the quantitative truth) will have any effect at all on calming this forum down. Perhaps this forum's mood is exactly what it should be. BMD did say there were 20 million in camera parts in the warehouse...I did recently learn (much to my surprise) that there are over 500 US resellers. Some numbers have been given, just not the numbers the customers want to hear.

It's really sad that we're not talking about BMC workflow and best shooting practices but that's the way things are right now. John has so much to offer when these are the topics but a DP with credibility in business process? Again, the customers had nothing to do with this situation and only BMD can begin to give realistic, quantitative shipping information that might begin to right the ship. I hope they reconsider some of these absolutes that John keeps repeating because listening to customers is fundamental to a good business relationship.
Last edited by bhook on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 11:33 am

mhood wrote:It's not very likely that John scolding BMD customers again for trying to get some concrete idea of when they can expect their BMCs (i.e., wild conspiracy theories that are so far from the truth that he finds it laughable) will have any effect at all on calming this forum down. Perhaps this forum's mood is exactly what it should be. BMD did say there were 20 million in camera parts in the warehouse...I did recently learn (much to my surprise) that there are over 500 US resellers. Some numbers have been given, just not the numbers the customers want to hear.

It's really sad that we're not talking about BMC workflow and best shooting practices but that's the way things are right now. John has so much to offer when these are the topics but a DP with credibility in business process? Again, the customers had nothing to do with this situation and only BMD can begin to give realistic, quantitative shipping information that might begin to right the ship. I hope they reconsider some of these absolutes that John keeps repeating because listening to customers is fundamental to a good business relationship.

I agree, but I also want answers I don't WANT to hear if they are true. 500 resellers is annoying for you guys in the US, but at least they told the truth about it. That is all I want. The truth. I have been told by a BMD rep by the name of Craig Heffernan that I will see my pro-order fulfilled by the end of the year... he even laughed when I asked if that was likely stating "yes you will see it by then".

It is now almost November and we are being told more than 5 have shipped... but how many more? Six? I am beginning to think Craig lied to me.

BTW - Craig is a BMD Sales Consultant in the UK and by his own admission is in charge of all BMD UK distribution.
Last edited by Costa Louvieris on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christine Peterson

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 1:23 pm

dennysb wrote:Christine, You are Boston! hoping you don't wash away with the storm in the north east :)

Thanks! I grew up in South Jersey too, so it was a pretty stressful day yesterday, but all is well! :)
Christine Peterson

Luke Armstrong

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 2:48 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:
dennysb wrote:Christine, You are Boston! hoping you don't wash away with the storm in the north east :)

Thanks! I grew up in South Jersey too, so it was a pretty stressful day yesterday, but all is well! :)

Glad to hear it, news pictures look awful!
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

sean mclennan

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Costa wrote:*just* a camera... this is not like JUST a game or a hobby for us this is a livelihood, which is what BMD and maybe yourself do not understand. This is not my hobby this is my job. Also you seem to forget that BMD have also had a massive delay with the Hyperdeck Studio pro. I have pre-ordered both items since April and in the case of the Hyperdeck Studio Pro, paid for in full.

If your livelihood is suffering because you don't have your BMCC, then you should move on. Take your money and go buy another camera and get back to work.

You Costa....out of all the bellyachers on this forum...seem to be the most unhappy person on the planet. I doubt you would be happy if Grant Petty hand delivered you a camera tomorrow. You would probably complain that he didn't give you a sincerely enough apology for the delay. What a travesty! You are adding nothing of value to this forum. You should be grateful that BM allows you this soapbox for you to stand on. Most companies would not. Frankly, they shouldn't because you are ruining MY experience coming to this forum, far more than the delay in receiving my camera. I am not alone in feeling this way. You are completely disrespectful of the work BM is doing to get the camera shipped and you are belligerent to anyone who supports them. Why should the rest of us have to tolerate that abuse?

I am a huge supporter of free speech. Everyone has an opinion and has a right to express their opinion. You go far beyond simply expressing your opinion however. You target certain people and attack them. You are a bully Costa and you need to stop.

It's time for you to move on.

Sean

bhook

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 3:57 pm

sean mclennan wrote:You are a bully Costa

Here we go blaming a customer who posts his displeasure about the shipping delays for the angst on this forum. Ship the cameras...the shipping subject will disappear overnight when thousands of BMCs are on shelves and all back/pre orders are fulfilled.

And please don't degenerate the conversations (no matter how hostile) by calling names.

adamantiumSTEEL

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 4:36 pm

mhood wrote:

Here we go blaming a customer who posts his displeasure about the shipping delays for the angst on this forum. Ship the cameras...the shipping subject will disappear overnight when thousands of BMCs are on shelves and all back/pre orders are fulfilled.

And please don't degenerate the conversations (no matter how hostile) by calling names.

Agree with mhood,

Mr Mclennan you are actually doing the exact thing you accuse Costa of doing. Costa expresses his opinion, and has disagreed with me on everything, but I have never taken it personally as I know, and understand where he's coming from. I know he's upset about the issue with BMD. There is no need for me toact like I have the right to try and get Costa dismissed and booted of BMD forum. He paid money to be here, expressing his frustration with BMD. I'd say that alone gives him the right, even if you think he's the most unhappy person posting.
Chris Purinton

Roland Öller

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Costa wrote:...
I really hope RED announce a big reduction on the 31st ... I really want to jump ship from this fiasco.

BMD are so out of their depth it's unbelievable. They wanted to play with the big boys but have failed miserably so far.

This is so ironic, if irony was made of strawberries, we´d be drinking lots of smoothies right now. :D

Please don´t be offended but I need to say this:
Do you know how long I waited for the original "3K for 3K" Scarlet by RED? More than 3 years!
And when was that camera released? Yeah...

And now, after waiting 3 months you want that same "big boy" company to pull something out of their hat to rescue you from the delay-"fiasco"? RED is the king of camera-delays! They aren´t even on schedule with their new dragon-sensor. And I´m not saying that that´s a bad thing. I think RED is an awesome company. That´s just the reality of delivering cutting edge quality on a reasonable budget.

And Sony would never undercut themselves in the quality department. You won´t see a non-AVCHD/MPEG2 camera from Sony under at least 6.000 dollars for a long time.

But if you absolutely have to shoot an important project right now, there are plenty of other options. Go ahead and "jump ship", if the competition offers something that´s better for you.

Making cameras is difficult. People need to chill out and be patient.
No offense.

Jason Davis

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 4:51 pm

mhood wrote:BMD did say there were 20 million in camera parts in the warehouse...

I really hope that 20 Million is in parts is pre mark up or we are all screwed.

sean mclennan wrote: You are a bully Costa and you need to stop.

Here we go...

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 5:16 pm

sean mclennan wrote:You are a bully Costa and you need to stop.

Sean

Well that's not what I intended. If more people feel that I am a bully I will gladly listen and apologise. However I don't "think" I have and would like specific examples and will apologise for them accordingly. I'm pretty sure JB and BMD can look after themselves. I am but one person expressing an opinion and they are both respected, and respected by me too believe it or not.

The thing is, when someone and/or company is doing something wrong (imo) then I will express myself... is this not what this forum is about?

The only thing I see I have done wrong, is be opinionated.

Jason Hinkle

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 5:16 pm

It seems to me that BMD is getting a bit of extra grief due to the fact that many of us probably waited around for years for the RED camera that never happened. So even though it's only been a few months and the cameras are shipping, it feels like we've been waiting for years for this camera!

I'm sure a bunch of you, like me, remember waiting month after month for some little scrap of information from RED and then, after all the delays, the camera came out at 5x the original price. BMD is certainly being more transparent than RED ever was, but even still I feel myself being impatient and wishing to get this camera in my hands!

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Roland Öller wrote:
Costa wrote:...
I really hope RED announce a big reduction on the 31st ... I really want to jump ship from this fiasco.

BMD are so out of their depth it's unbelievable. They wanted to play with the big boys but have failed miserably so far.

This is so ironic, if irony was made of strawberries, we´d be drinking lots of smoothies right now. :D

Please don´t be offended but I need to say this:
Do you know how long I waited for the original "3K for 3K" Scarlet by RED? More than 3 years!
And when was that camera released? Yeah...

And now, after waiting 3 months you want that same "big boy" company to pull something out of their hat to rescue you from the delay-"fiasco"? RED is the king of camera-delays! They aren´t even on schedule with their new dragon-sensor. And I´m not saying that that´s a bad thing. I think RED is an awesome company. That´s just the reality of delivering cutting edge quality on a reasonable budget.

And Sony would never undercut themselves in the quality department. You won´t see a non-AVCHD/MPEG2 camera from Sony under at least 6.000 dollars for a long time.

But if you absolutely have to shoot an important project right now, there are plenty of other options. Go ahead and "jump ship", if the competition offers something that´s better for you.

Making cameras is difficult. People need to chill out and be patient.
No offense.

I thought RED didn't release a specific date just a roundabout date. There were no specifics... I may be wrong but that is how I understand it.

Timtationn

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 6:22 pm

John Brawley wrote:

jb

John,

Thanks for your reply. Please understand I am not jumping up and down. I am legitimately confused.

When someone hires me to complete a project for them, and for some reason I am not able to complete that project on time, it is not in my right to tell the client that they don't need to know the details of when they will get that said project. If I were to tell a client "The film will be done when it's done. I know it's 3 months late, but we have some stuff going on." I would never work again. Especially if they asked me for how much I had completed and I told them I don't release that kind of information. You should understand this from your professional background.

I simply feel that the way in which things have been communicated from the company have not been completely forthright. I invested three thousand dollars in the company and have nothing to show for it. I'm not necessarily losing work, I still have my camera, but that's not the point. Maybe others are.

I understand they are working hard, but if they are not communicating with the customer, how are we supposed to know that? This is not a personal attack on you JB, or Black Magic in general. I just think that non-communication with customers is a fatal flaw, whether it is in their policy or not.

Andrew Deme

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 6:43 pm

mhood wrote:

I also think there are a small minority here who are adding very little to the discussion and this is a perfect example. Nobody is blaming the customer but each time anybody says enough is enough you come out with the same crap. Give it a rest and engage your brain.

Everybody who doesn't have there camera wants it now, it's obvious.

Andrew Deme

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Costa wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:You are a bully Costa and you need to stop.

Sean

Well that's not what I intended. If more people feel that I am a bully I will gladly listen and apologise. However I don't "think" I have and would like specific examples and will apologise for them accordingly. I'm pretty sure JB and BMD can look after themselves. I am but one person expressing an opinion and they are both respected, and respected by me too believe it or not.

The thing is, when someone and/or company is doing something wrong (imo) then I will express myself... is this not what this forum is about?

The only thing I see I have done wrong, is be opinionated.

Just be less opinionated as it is starting to get more annoying than actually waiting for the camera.

bhook

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Andrew Deme wrote:Everybody who doesn't have there camera wants it now, it's obvious.

Engage MY brain? What did your post contribute? See the bigger picture...what you consider a useless post might be all an Aqualung such as myself is capable of.

Andrew Deme

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 6:52 pm

mhood wrote:
Andrew Deme wrote:Everybody who doesn't have there camera wants it now, it's obvious.

Engage MY brain? What did your post contribute? See the bigger picture...what you consider a useless post might be all an Aqualung such as myself is capable of.

Goodness, a typo.....amazing.

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Andrew Deme wrote:
mhood wrote:

I'm no expert but a typo would imo be hitting the wrong key. That is a grammatical error. I'm sorry my OPINIONS upset you.

karimmeg

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 6:58 pm

i'm french i ve ordered my bmc 2 month ago.... i'm still waiting for it....

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Listen peeps I don't want to be hated. Please hate me if you think I deserve it but all I have done is express my opinion. I apologise to anyone that feels abused or threatened by my words.

I've said my bit so I'll move on until the next update. Piece out until then.

Andrew Deme

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 7:05 pm

I'm no expert but a typo would imo be hitting the wrong key. That is a grammatical error. I'm sorry my OPINIONS upset you.[/quote]

Your option certainly doesn't upset and you are correct...in my rush to type my message in the hope that a small minority change thier behaviour here on this forum, I made a grammatical mistake.

bhook

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 7:20 pm

Andrew Deme wrote:in my rush to type my message in the hope that a small minority change thier behaviour here on this forum, I made a grammatical mistake.

Perhaps if you used your brain. Sorry Andy (may I call you Andy?) but I just can't resist chipping away at condescending facades of superiority because I have learned a gr8 truth in my many years: I ain't a bit better than you and you sure ain't any better than me.

...but you really do need to try it again with the "THEIR" thing. :lol:

PAX Andy.

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Ok now we're arguing over typos, grammar, and spelling. What is going on here? We need our cameras, ASAP!
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Jason Davis

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 8:20 pm

PaulDelVecchio wrote:Ok now we're arguing over typos, grammar, and spelling. What is going on here? We need our cameras, ASAP!
mhood wrote:
Andrew Deme wrote:in my rush to type my message in the hope that a small minority change thier behaviour here on this forum, I made a grammatical mistake.

Perhaps if you used your brain. Sorry Andy (may I call you Andy?) but I just can't resist chipping away at condescending facades of superiority because I have learned a gr8 truth in my many years: I ain't a bit better than you and you sure ain't any better than me.

...but you really do need to try it again with the "THEIR" thing. :lol:

PAX Andy.
Gold...

Roland Öller

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 10:19 pm

Costa wrote:I thought RED didn't release a specific date just a roundabout date. There were no specifics... I may be wrong but that is how I understand it.

Neither did Blackmagic. They said they'd start shipping late July. And they did. They didn't say how many they'd ship. ;)

But I get what you are saying. At least we know that the camera is done and that it will eventually come. It's just a question of when.

Warren Eagles

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 12:37 am

"I really hope RED announce a big reduction on the 31st and Sony have something special to show us. I really want to jump ship from this fiasco.
BMD are so out of their depth it's unbelievable. They wanted to play with the big boys but have failed miserably so far"

Jump then....
BMD will get things right, if you cannot wait buy something else.
Warren Eagles
International Colorist Academy
www.icolorist.com
@warreneagles
www.vimeo.com/icolorist

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 4:38 am

Roland Öller wrote:This is so ironic, if irony was made of strawberries, we´d be drinking lots of smoothies right now. .... Making cameras is difficult. People need to chill out and be patient.
No offense.

+1 All of that.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

sescayg

Status

PostThu Nov 01, 2012 3:29 pm

So guys,
First I wanna say I extremely excited to get this product in my hands. I'm a director with a VFX bkg. My film FISH just finished its festival run see it here: www.shaunescayg.com . I've ordered this camera a few months ago through a smaller camera store in San Clemente and was hoping to do a few creature VFX tests for a short i'm shooting in April- just wondering if you'll be shipping soon to the smaller companies as well...or will the priority be the larger companies.

Shaun

dennysb

Re: Status

PostThu Nov 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Shaun,

There are couple of threads that discuss the status of shipment, which unfortunately is not yet clear or certain. Here are the threads:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1288

Here are links to all of Grant's updates on these forums:
- 10/29: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2153&p=12076#p12076
- 10/19: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1895&p=10358#p10358
- 10/13: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1288&p=9489#p9489
- 9/25: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1288&p=6671#p6671

sescayg

Re: Status

PostThu Nov 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Awesome. Most appreciated. :D

sturnr1

BMCC delivery deadline to Canada

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 5:13 am

Hey There,

Love the camera and really looking forward to shipping update.

I'm heading on a shoot at the end of Jan to Africa that would be ideal for Blackmagic Cinema Camera, is it realistic to expect I could get a camera delivered to Vancouver by mid Jan?? Need to do testing and bring crew up to speed.

Let me know.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: BMCC delivery deadline to Canada

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 5:28 am

Unanswerable question. No one knows, possibly not even BMD. See:
viewtopic.php?p=12744&sid=3a27d96b0e73f9a13fceba567ecf4c3a#p12744

Meanwhile, there are occasionally BMCCs being put up for sale on eBay & craigslist, because there are people who pre-ordered BMCCs early who don't actually want the cameras they received. Weird.

-

Illya Friedman

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 7:57 am

Hello Tim, and everyone.

So Hot Rod Cameras has received the credit as the source of "the rumor."

For the record, we are not in the business of lying to anyone- about anything. That is bad business in my book, and a bad way to do anything.

Any information given by a member of our staff would have been information that is only being repeated from someone who supposedly knew what they were talking about. We send out a newsletter to all our pre-order customers and we share all non-confidential relative information we get. I've never heard anything but positive feedback about sharing what information we can.

We also were told that initial shipment was only "a trickle" and that additional units were massing for larger shipments in the next few weeks. It was told to us in the same breath as the first part, and was included in our newsletter. There's no reason anyone should assume that the slow rate of delivery thus far is the only rate at which deliveries will continue.

Before starting Hot Rod Cameras I worked for a camera manufacturer; one of the only camera manufacturers that made their own imaging sensor, built entirely in our own fab (you can count those companies on one hand). I know a little bit about what's going on when someone reports a problem with a sensor or filter stack.

What I don't think most people here realize that a problem with a sensor or the filter stack is not insignificant. The sensor is not just any camera component, neither are custom pieces of optical glass which are painstakingly tuned through batches of coatings and then must be carefully glued to the front of the sensor. Screw up any part of this process and you lose one more sensor. You can't just run another 1000 or 10000 and get them overnight, the process of making a sensor ready for instillation is not generally a speedy one.

Personally, I think it's amazing that 1) Blackmagic shared this information with the public, and 2) that the problem was diagnosed and corrected and new sensors and filter stacks are being rushed into existence.

As a rule of thumb, the better quality the image sensor the more complicated the design. The more complicated the design, the lower the yield. The larger the sensor, the lower the yield. "Yield" being the number of "perfect" or if not perfect "acceptable" sensors that come off the sensor wafer. A "wafer" can hold a few, a few dozen, or several dozen sensors, depending on size of the sensors being manufactured. Here's a pic with a bunch of Kodak sensors still on the wafer so you can see what I mean. Image

While an imaging sensor is not the only important component of a camera, it is certainly the heart. I have to say in the limited time I've played with, and watched the BMC Cameras images on the big screen next door (20' Barco 2K DI suite) the sensor is drop dead gorgeous. It blows every DSLR our of the water regardless of price, and surpasses many cameras costing thousands more. Hell, it matches the dynamic range of the Dalsa Evolution camera, in 2009 the undisputed king of dynamic range.

We know the BMC Camera sensor is on the bigger side, and it's got to be state-of-the-art complicated to get images like it does. I can only imagine the manufacturing hurdles that Blackmagic is tackling right now. I know one particular camera company that creates a custom software "masks" unique to every camera they sell. Those software masks hide all the manufacturing defects with their imaging sensors. Blackmagic clearly isn't doing that, and should be applauded for shipping "perfect" cameras slowly rather than flawed cameras with band-aids as fast as possible.

Interesting to note, we had a DP in our office last week who was really interested in DSLRs for insert/B/C Camera work on a $100M feature shooting in Q1 2013. While the decision is not final, I'll just say that after viewing the camera and some footage from the BMC Camera, it is now strongly in the running to replace the DSLRs. John Brawley is using them on a TV series right now, I think it's only a matter of time before we see it drafted up to "A" camera status on highly prominent productions.

Personally, I feel like I've been waiting for this camera my entire adult life, so I'm more excited than upset at the delay. Perhaps I ought to upset, as the number 1 phone call I receive is "Do you know when my camera is shipping?" Delays aren't good for business, mine or anyone else's, least of all Blackmagic's or the customers who have time sensitive projects.

So even if it wasn't that many, assuming some cameras shipped just a few weeks after the original intended release date, it's still amazing. Compare Blackmagic to some other companies pre-selling a non-existent camera system more than a year before shipping, we're not out very long. Hang tight I don't think we are that far now.

Sincerely,

Illya Friedman
President
Hot Rod Cameras
Hollywood, California
http://www.hotrodcameras.com
Illya Friedman
President
Hot Rod Cameras
www.hotrodcameras.com

John Brawley

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 8:25 am

What a great post Illya and so fantastic to have someone with your background and experience here.

For those that don't already know, Illya himself used to work with a camera manufacturer that were really at the very bleeding high end of digital imaging and he certainly knows his stuff.

I've been using the BMCC every day on the current series I'm shooting right now.

I have a 3 EPIC camera package and a bunch of PL lenses and I'm using the BMCC on almost every setup where I would have used a 5D as a "C" camera.

On the last series I did, Puberty Blues, most people could pick the BMCC shots from the Alexa shots. And while I'm not ready to give up the higher frame rates and more advanced monitoring features cameras like Alexa and RED offer, BMCC's certainly are holding their own.

I'm sure it won't be long before someone does indeed shoot with BMCC as their A camera.

Thanks again for joining the discussion.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Nick Bedford

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 8:39 am

Thanks John and Illya.

I still find it interesting when people tout the 5D as a good alternative. I watch videos done by talented DPs on the Blackmagic and nothing I can do on the 5DIII can get it past the hurdles the firmware and recording limitations it puts in front of you. It's just day and night between the two. There was one comparison done and that made it so bleedingly obvious just how limited the current crop of DSLRs (Canon especially) are at recording video of the kind that we desire.

I was unpleasantly surprised just how soft the images were from the 5DIII after viewing them on the computer. And this is a DSLR that uses the entire 22mp sensor to create its video image from.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography