New Firmware....

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David Sandberg

Re: New Firmware....

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 9:49 am

Jonny G. wrote:One thing I noticed in the BMCC 2.5 when you shooting ProRes you can only select Video in Dynamic Range...before there used to be Film as well...
I can select both film and video on my BMCC EF.

Theodore Prentice

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:12 am

adamroberts wrote:
ClaytonMoore wrote:Dang I missed it .... still not posted formally on the support page. I have a job tomorrow morning -- :( Sigh....

Why would you risk installing an untested, even if it was an official release, firmware update the day before a job?? That makes no sense at all.

because it is works. why the myopic, gloomy post Adam?
and i spent a good part of the evening TESTING it... the focus peaking and updated debayering make it worth the 'risk' ( :roll: ) alone to me

Andreas Caemmerer

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:32 am

It's out!!!!

MagicWego

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:33 am

The firmware it's ok 1.8 :P
and the new website !
FLACCOMIO
DoP
Production and Post-Production Cinéma

adamroberts

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:41 am

Theodore Prentice wrote:
adamroberts wrote:
ClaytonMoore wrote:Dang I missed it .... still not posted formally on the support page. I have a job tomorrow morning -- :( Sigh....

Why would you risk installing an untested, even if it was an official release, firmware update the day before a job?? That makes no sense at all.

because it is works. why the myopic, gloomy post Adam?
and i spent a good part of the evening TESTING it... the focus peaking and updated debayering make it worth the 'risk' ( :roll: ) alone to me

Not myopic or gloomy... As a professional (someone who gets paid to shoot something) it is silly to install firmware on a camera the day before a shoot that you have not tested. Why would you risk it failing on a paid job? You the let yourself down, your client down, your crew down... Use what you know works even with the bugs because you know what those bugs are and how to deal with them.

The risk of that happening is even higher when you are installing unreleased firmware...

scarfy

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:46 am

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/p ... seID=61126

Now there is an official press release to firmware 1.8

Theodore Prentice

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 11:28 am

adamroberts wrote:
Not myopic or gloomy... As a professional (someone who gets paid to shoot something) it is silly to install firmware on a camera the day before a shoot that you have not tested. Why would you risk it failing on a paid job? You the let yourself down, your client down, your crew down... Use what you know works even with the bugs because you know what those bugs are and how to deal with them.

The risk of that happening is even higher when you are installing unreleased firmware...

Plenty of professionals run Magic Lantern.. so why not take an "educated" chance here.. turns out I was right in my hypothesis anyway.. and my camera is ready for todays shoot with the new firmware.

Corie Geerders

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 11:40 am

That support website is much nicer for finding things at a glance!

The file sizes and authoring dates on the official 1.8 files are exactly the same as the ones from yesterday.. The installer doesn't recognize my install as an older version.. I'm thinking it's the same.?

Glad i read that release page. It would have taken me a while to figure out why the focus peaking button wasn't working the way it used to.

joechiazza

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Well it looks like they officially posted the update. So it was in fact the final version we got the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Davies

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 12:21 pm

I guess they wanted to release it when they were ready and after all the hard work they must have put in they deserve that! I think though it was fairly obvious the earlier release was going to be the official one. I wasn't going to take it off after seeing what it could do!
Mark Davies

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Probably had to record grants statement or finalize the web site...

I'm going to shoot a musical this weekend, the new firmware came just in time! Hopefully it got rid of the purple grids...

Björn Sonnenschein

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Hmm, has anyone tried if it is possible to set the shutter speed via the left/right buttons on the Pocket? Digging the menu for such an essential setting like that is still a pain!
And it's a pity that the improved 1600ISO highlight handling hasn't found it's way to the pocket.

Yet, I am very happy about the ability to use the OIS of lenses without the switch and the grid pattern fix sounds good!
www.milloghmey.de

Frank Glencairn

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 1:27 pm

It's just a single click away, when you click up instead of down.

Side note: Can't remember that I ever used something different than 180 deg. - I never understand why somebody wants to shoot with a different shutter angle, except for a special effect.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Robert Niessner

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 1:32 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Side note: Can't remember that I ever used something different than 180 deg. - I never understand why somebody wants to shoot with a different shutter angle, except for a special effect.

When shooting sports I like to use 90° for reduced motion blur and for doing some slow-mo twixtoring even 45°.
For timelapses it would be great to have 720° or even more.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Frank Glencairn

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Exactly what I mean with "except for a special effect."

But in both cases it's not that you have to change it every 20 seconds.
Anyway - just click up, and you are there.

AEFox

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Anything about the "Sun Black Hole" on the BMCC ?

Robert Niessner

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 1:50 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Exactly what I mean with "except for a special effect."

I tend to agree, except for shooting sports with 90°.
Oh and in low light situations (e.g. filming live events in not so well lit rooms) I often use 360° to gain an extra stop - works out very well.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 2:19 pm

I often have to switch between 24, 25 and 30 fps for different projects, and to avoid flickering lights i then need to adjust the shutter angle from 180° to 172° etc. ...

But I'd rather have whitebalance settings on the arrow buttons, that's the most often changed setting for me, as i'm shooting ProRes. Could live without iris control, as i'm shooting fully manual on the speedbooster anyway... Wouldn't it be nice to have the four arrow buttons customizable in general?

Yeah, now that we finally have 1.8, we'll surely see the next wishlist growing fast...

Jeroen Rommelaars

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 2:28 pm

I just tried to update to the newest official version, but it said my camera was up to date. Now, I did install the unofficial version. Now I'm a bit worried. Are the two versions the same, or did something go wrong with my update-procedure?
Cropped Media - videoproductie Amersfoort, utrecht - http://cropped.nl

David Sandberg

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 2:35 pm

Jeroen Rommelaars wrote:I just tried to update to the newest official version, but it said my camera was up to date. Now, I did install the unofficial version. Now I'm a bit worried. Are the two versions the same, or did something go wrong with my update-procedure?

They're exactly the same, bit for bit. I've checked with software that compares binaries.

Jeroen Rommelaars

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 2:38 pm

David Sandberg wrote:
Jeroen Rommelaars wrote:I just tried to update to the newest official version, but it said my camera was up to date. Now, I did install the unofficial version. Now I'm a bit worried. Are the two versions the same, or did something go wrong with my update-procedure?

They're exactly the same, bit for bit. I've checked with software that compares binaries.

Thanks - Now I can go to bed care-free :)
Cropped Media - videoproductie Amersfoort, utrecht - http://cropped.nl

Junior Rodrigues

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 6:19 pm

Perfectly clean Camera(at 400 iso)....Has horrible FPN after update 1.8...on all ISO including 200...Oh lord!!! WHy?????????

Anyone screw that camera too? I must have something to do with Sensor cablibration data on firmware! for sure it does not work for my unit....My god what is happening? the worst of all this time, I know for sure its not hardware.....Any one shine some light....if up downgrade will I brick it? will I get back my clean Sensor? thanks..

Ubstar

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 8:27 pm

I started a new topic for it, but is anyone having and issue when playing back the 4k RAW in camera. It freezes and then says "No SSD". I have to reboot the camera for it to recognize the SSD again, but then it does the same thing when trying to play back.
SIGN THE PETITION TO GET BLACKMAGIC TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND FIX THE FPN ISSUE WITH THE PC4K

http://www.change.org/petitions/blackmagic-design-we-want-them-to-acknowledge-and-fix-the-fixed-pattern-noise-issue-with-the-blackmagic-production-camera-4k

David Sandberg

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Ubstar wrote:I started a new topic for it, but is anyone having and issue when playing back the 4k RAW in camera. It freezes and then says "No SSD". I have to reboot the camera for it to recognize the SSD again, but then it does the same thing when trying to play back.

Could be because of dropped frames. My BMCC behaved very strangely when I tried playing back clips with missing frames.

Ubstar

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 8:37 pm

David Sandberg wrote:
Ubstar wrote:I started a new topic for it, but is anyone having and issue when playing back the 4k RAW in camera. It freezes and then says "No SSD". I have to reboot the camera for it to recognize the SSD again, but then it does the same thing when trying to play back.

Could be because of dropped frames. My BMCC behaved very strangely when I tried playing back clips with missing frames.

From a couple different posts in different topics, it seems to be affecting a variety of SSDs.
SIGN THE PETITION TO GET BLACKMAGIC TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND FIX THE FPN ISSUE WITH THE PC4K

http://www.change.org/petitions/blackmagic-design-we-want-them-to-acknowledge-and-fix-the-fixed-pattern-noise-issue-with-the-blackmagic-production-camera-4k

John Greene

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 9:47 pm

My SanDisk Extreme II 480GB works fine and it's not on the List
Junior

wissam_ayoub

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 9:12 am

anything about the 1080i50 output?

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 6:35 pm

what about it?

Dastrupmakes

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 6:43 pm

tifose wrote:My SanDisk Extreme II 480GB works fine and it's not on the List

I had that same SSD, it worked for a month then it completely failed. Sandisk refused to replace because apparently they've had several issues with this. Once they heard I was using it with my BMCC they said, "sorry nothing we can do for you. Its not approved for that." I'd be careful.

slim belhiba

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 8:22 pm

Waiting to move the FPN from the BMPC 4K, with the 1.8 firmware the FPN is visibly clear on BMCC EF at 800 & 1600 ASA.

Marius Viggen

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 10:34 pm

Something very interesting happened to me today, with my BMPCC. I have NOT updated it to 1.8.
I attached the zoom lens to the camera( not properly, but I didn't notice), when I turned
it on I suddenly had the same green focus assist that I now have on the BMCC after 1.8 update!
Later i realised the lens wasn't mounted properly, so i did that, and the focus assist disappeared.
What the f… does this mean? Are the updates not really updates, but rather keys to unlock features
that already exist in the cameras?

David

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 10:43 pm

redmaks wrote:Something very interesting happened to me today, with my BMPCC. I have NOT updated it to 1.8.
I attached the zoom lens to the camera( not properly, but I didn't notice), when I turned
it on I suddenly had the same green focus assist that I now have on the BMCC after 1.8 update!
Later i realised the lens wasn't mounted properly, so i did that, and the focus assist disappeared.
What the f… does this mean? Are the updates not really updates, but rather keys to unlock features
that already exist in the cameras?

The pocket always had the green focus assist

At least I think it did. Didn't it?
David Daniel
Dilettante

Denny Smith

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 11:05 pm

Yes, the Pocket camera has Green focus peaking and zoom assist, has had since it was released.
When using Pocket Cinema Camera with an autofocus lens press the FOCUS button for focus peaking or autofocus. Press the FOCUS button once to auto focus. A quick double press of the FOCUS button activates focus peaking. Double press OK button for zoom assist.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Marius Viggen

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 11:25 pm

Terrible, I didn't know. I just got the camera. I might have to consider another career after this.

wissam_ayoub

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 am

wissam_ayoub wrote:anything about the 1080i50 output?

No 1080i output in the 1.8

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Since there are newer firmware threads, I am going to lock this one to avoid confusion.

Thanks.

terry
Previous

Return to Cinematography