New Firmware....

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timclague

Re: New Firmware....

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 7:07 pm

The firmware thread, not in its glorious 17th page! wow

joechiazza

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 8:38 pm

I think I've officially stopped caring about the update. BMD wins...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pavel Lavrov

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 8:50 pm

joechiazza wrote:I think I've officially stopped caring about the update. BMD wins...

I'm sure you're not the only one who moved on. Leaving BM with its beta cameras... and getting 4K camera under 2K. (Like I did after using pocket cams with horrible Moiré)
Pavel L

Ubstar

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 9:13 pm

zombies8mypi wrote:
Ubstar wrote: What's soccer?

Football in the more common international definition of the word.

In the U.S. we have a separate sport that is totally different (similar to Rugby) that we call Football. It's pretty big.

To avoid confusion Americans (and some American English speakers) call what you call Football - Soccer instead.

And we call the other sport Football.

American "Football":

Football in the Rest of the world:

I was being sarcastic. Sorry I should have mentioned that.
SIGN THE PETITION TO GET BLACKMAGIC TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND FIX THE FPN ISSUE WITH THE PC4K

http://www.change.org/petitions/blackmagic-design-we-want-them-to-acknowledge-and-fix-the-fixed-pattern-noise-issue-with-the-blackmagic-production-camera-4k

Dustin Boswell

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 9:36 pm

Ubstar wrote: I was being sarcastic. Sorry I should have mentioned that.

No biggie, it's a common misconception amongst international groups though so that's what I thought was goin' on.

;)
"Fix it in Prep"- 1st A.D.'s Motto
Dustin Boswell
Director/Writer and periodically Camera Department.

Ulysses Paiva

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 10:12 pm

zombies8mypi wrote:
Ubstar wrote: I was being sarcastic. Sorry I should have mentioned that.

No biggie, it's a common misconception amongst international groups though so that's what I thought was goin' on.

;)

Here (in Brasil. We use "s" with sound of "z" between vogals) we also call it "Futebol" (sounds almost the same as football). I used soccer just to avoid confusion. Anyway, Netherlands beat BMD, err... I mean, Australia by 3x2.

Suck it, BMD. Err,,, I mean, Australia! :lol:
Ulysses Paiva

Corie Geerders

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 11:14 pm

So the Atomos Shogun will be released in September and records 4k uncompressed Cinema DNG and DNxHD.. At this rate it might be the fastest way to add raw recording to our production cameras..

joechiazza

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 11:33 pm

CoresNz wrote:So the Atomos Shogun will be released in September and records 4k uncompressed Cinema DNG and DNxHD.. At this rate it might be the fastest way to add raw recording to our production cameras..

I don't think uncompressed is exactly technically the same as raw, right off the sensor. I think the uncompressed has been debayered in camera still, just not compressed.

Gary Stanford

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 1:33 am

This thread has been going on so long that I'm surprised that Godwin's Law hasn't come into play...
1 x BMPCC4k/2 x BMCCs/Davinci Resolve Studio/Decklink Mini Monitor/HD Link Pro /ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 DDR3 x SATA3/Intel i7 3.4GHz/GTX 980ti 6 GB/32BG RAM/3 SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO SSD/4 x 3 TB WD HDDs/Seagate 1 TB SATA 3 HDD/OCZ 850w PSU/Windows 7 64bit SP1

Dave Perry

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 3:25 am

joechiazza wrote:
CoresNz wrote:So the Atomos Shogun will be released in September and records 4k uncompressed Cinema DNG and DNxHD.. At this rate it might be the fastest way to add raw recording to our production cameras..

I don't think uncompressed is exactly technically the same as raw, right off the sensor. I think the uncompressed has been debayered in camera still, just not compressed.

It will record uncompressed CinemaDNG (which is raw) but does not create it. In other words, whatever camera it's connected to needs to be able to output raw. It will NOT add raw recording to a BMPC 4k, or any other camera for that matter. I see it useful with a SONY FS 700R as a way to bypass the expense of the SONY raw recorder though.
S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
524 N. Normandie Ave. Unit 2
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

Kevin DeOliveira

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Are we aiming for 2015 now?
BMPC4k / BMPCC / URSA Mini (Pre-order)
kevdeo.com

MagicWego

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 1:26 pm

Yes on their next camera to be delivered in 2025 before firmware! :mrgreen:
FLACCOMIO
DoP
Production and Post-Production Cinéma

Nikolay Smirnov

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 2:49 pm

I kinda thought about this today. Do we really need that update? It wouldn't make any huge improvements, except better ProRes, which I don't use anymore...
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

David Hessel

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 2:55 pm

It includes 4K raw, I am sue some here would need that. For me no I don't need the update, all I really want is a 4:3 mode for anamorphic shooting other than that I can deal with the camera as is but improvements are welcome and would be appreciated. Unless there are some surprises coming it seems like the main benefit for this update is that it is a stepping stone towards future, more meaningful updates. Who knows how long that will be though.
David Hessel

gphone

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 2:58 pm

I've been coming on here nearly every day since last summer after receiving the email from Grant Petty about new "features" for the BMCC.

My mentor, a TD for ABC's College Football game of the week for many years, now semi-retired, called BM camera products, "Vaporware."

I laughed and replied, "Yes, like Keyser Söze."

Have I been punked? (Looks around for camera crew)

ClaytonMoore

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 3:17 pm

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:I kinda thought about this today. Do we really need that update? It wouldn't make any huge improvements, except better ProRes, which I don't use anymore...

You speak to a good point which is, by the time the update is released it wont likely have as much an impact over all as compared to the negative charge in the air over the months due to the delay. Had this been rolled out back in 2013, then BM could have created way more excitement for (as an example) the rollout of a BMCC MKII or something. Mr. Petty must admit this was botched terribly. Apple botched the FCPX rollout so it happens

dan_turner

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 4:26 pm

I come to this forum everyday in the hope of reading about new firmware. I'm posting now out of futility really. In the hope that the bigger the thread the harder to ignore

Lawrence Kim

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 4:37 pm

blackmagic is now asking for profanity on their forums...
this is pathetic you #$%^&(*&^%$%^&*(

benjaminreece

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 4:54 pm

With Adobe's latest update- they breathed new life into these cameras.

I'm hopeful for an update! :) Any word on ETA at this point? Seems like they should be at least close enough to deliver an ETA, or far enough away from the update about the update.

Would you guys mind giving us an update about the update about the update?

:D

kevinconder

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 5:04 pm

I think it's really obvious now the update won't be released until ursa is out.
Kevin Conder
On Broken Ground Films
http://vimeo.com/kevinconder/tunnel
http://www.onbrokenground.com/blog
http://vimeopro.com/kevinconder/portfolio

Mark Nowak

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:I kinda thought about this today. Do we really need that update? It wouldn't make any huge improvements, except better ProRes, which I don't use anymore...

It's not so much about the update anymore as it is about how Blackmagic views its customers. It speaks measures about how products are going to be launched in the future.

Ulysses Paiva

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 10:16 pm

Yeah. I sense the mood here is that everyone is stopping caring about the update and really getting pissed off BMD.

Dont see the majority of people "hoping" for how the update is going to be in practice, but just coming to a conclusion on how badly this situation got.
Ulysses Paiva

Pavel Lavrov

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 10:22 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:Dont see the majority of people "hoping" for how the update is going to be in practice, but just coming to a conclusion on how badly this situation got.

I can't speak for anyone else but it has been bad enough and for long enough to force me to buy 4K camera from a competitor... And I'm really happy that I don't have to "hope for a fix" I just don't have those major issues... (not to mention all the extra features... and horse power.)
Pavel L

ronhaley

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 10:55 pm

GH4 now #3 best seller on Amazon. Think BM missed the boat.

Marius Viggen

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 11:16 pm

I stopped caring about the update, absolutely. I also returned the BMPC. I will continue using my
BMCC, but I will soon buy a RED or ARRI. I initially thought that I would get the BMPC again,
when, and if, its ready. But now I have decided not to deal with this company again ever. Nothing but
trouble for me and my business from beginning to end. These people are computer-people, not
film-people.They don't care about film, and they don't care about the customers. Really, if your not satisfied, you are a pain in the
… If you are satisfied, they will use you as a part of their advertising. Its a personality disorder. Best
thing is to avoid these people.

Frappy

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 11:52 pm

redmaks: "Really, if your not satisfied, you are a pain in the..."

This pretty much sums up this company.

benjaminreece

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 1:07 am

They didn't specify a timeline - so I'm hopeful they will over deliver, under promise from here on out and learn an important lesson.

This company has lots of potential :) Personally, I'm hoping that they learn that lesson most of all, as a side benefit, I wouldn't mind seeing an audio fix on the BMCC + media %

Pavel Lavrov

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 1:19 am

benjaminreece wrote:They didn't specify a timeline - so I'm hopeful they will over deliver...

You can hope all you want but BMD has missed the boat as comet48 have said. Especially for the 4k camera....

They should have listened to their customers. And not release URSA but v2 camera more modular with field replaceable components. No past issues, with new sensor... leave recording to external recorders (atomos)who got it figured out. And offer us affordable camera. Not some beta product that you have pre order wait for a year to find out that the price has been droped due to some new issues.
Pavel L

David Chapman

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 1:33 am

Everybody keeps mentioning 4K alternatives like it's the size of the image that matters. Just because the GH4 does 4K, doesn't mean it creates beautiful images. In fact, Stu Maschwitz returned his GH4 because the image looked too much like video.

http://prolost.com/blog/2014/5/16/a-gh4-in-the-hand-vs-sony-a7s-preorder.html

There's one thing some people tend to forget (or can't tell the difference): Images from all Blackmagic cameras are just plain gorgeous. They look like film—nothing digital about them. In fact, our lead cinematographer can't believe how much better images look from my 4K Production Camera compared to our Scarlet. He swears that the image is sharper too.

Not every camera has FPN. And I have a hunch any FPN issues that you do see will be fixed with this next firmware update. I have a feeling it will be fixing a lot of things that have been talked about on this forum. Maybe John Brawley or Frank can give more details there. Everyone else isn't allowed to talk about it.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

ClaytonMoore

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 1:46 am

David Chapman wrote:Everybody keeps mentioning 4K alternatives like it's the size of the image that matters. Just because the GH4 does 4K, doesn't mean it creates beautiful images. In fact, Stu Maschwitz returned his GH4 because the image looked too much like video.

http://prolost.com/blog/2014/5/16/a-gh4-in-the-hand-vs-sony-a7s-preorder.html

There's one thing some people tend to forget (or can't tell the difference): Images from all Blackmagic cameras are just plain gorgeous. They look like film—nothing digital about them. In fact, our lead cinematographer can't believe how much better images look from my 4K Production Camera compared to our Scarlet. He swears that the image is sharper too.

Not every camera has FPN. And I have a hunch any FPN issues that you do see will be fixed with this next firmware update. I have a feeling it will be fixing a lot of things that have been talked about on this forum. Maybe John Brawley or Frank can give more details there. Everyone else isn't allowed to talk about it.

Interesting .... one of my friends was paid by SONY to produce an F55 movie for a recent major event. He used a GH4 for some B-roll - shot in camera at 4k. When scaled down to HD he said it was amazing. SONY was very happy and my friend said that the GH4 4k scaled down, makes the best 1920 HD footage he has ever shot for "an affordable by the masses" camera (including the BMCC 2.5K) -- he has been shooting for 20 years+

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 1:56 am

Fpn will not be adressed in the next update, as announced. Although with the amount of time it is taking....they mught develop a few more camera models instead.

David Chapman

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 2:03 am

shanepeters@bellsouth.net wrote:Fpn will not be adressed in the next update, as announced. Although with the amount of time it is taking....they mught develop a few more camera models instead.

Do you have proof of this? Or are you just spreading lies on the forum to confuse everyone?
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Nilscrompton

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 3:52 am

I have to chime in here. I totally agree, the BMCC and BMPCC produce waaaay nicer colour and tone to the GH4. There is simply no comparison in my opinion, they're the next best thing to an Alexa.

ChrisBarcellos

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 3:54 am

David Chapman wrote:
shanepeters@bellsouth.net wrote:Fpn will not be adressed in the next update, as announced. Although with the amount of time it is taking....they mught develop a few more camera models instead.

Do you have proof of this? Or are you just spreading lies on the forum to confuse everyone?

Actually, I think it was pretty clear what was planned in the April post by Kristian.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21179

ClaytonMoore

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 6:00 am

nilsio wrote:I have to chime in here. I totally agree, the BMCC and BMPCC produce waaaay nicer colour and tone to the GH4. There is simply no comparison in my opinion, they're the next best thing to an Alexa.

Very nice images indeed from the BMCC as is I agree.

But if you take a 4k image even shot in camera from a GH4 and (as you can do) leverage 4 times the pixels down to an HD image you can (using the right software) end up with a 10 bit 4:4:4 image that looks and grades very well.

..of course it helps to be a good photographer ..... conversly Ive seen some pretty poopy looking stuff from a Black Magic camera by someone not so good at it. ;)

ChrisBarcellos

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 6:10 am

The doors are about to close at BMD for another week, and still nothing forthcoming. Have a good weekend boys....

kevinconder

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 6:26 am

And I have a hunch any FPN issues that you do see will be fixed with this next firmware update. I have a feeling it will be fixing a lot of things that have been talked about on this forum.

The fact that Dave's "feeling" is perhaps the best info we have is a sad state of affairs.

Yeah, you can put in the not buying a gh4 boat as well, not until I see the 4:2:2 4k videos. But all this crap from bm has me searching for a replacement.
Kevin Conder
On Broken Ground Films
http://vimeo.com/kevinconder/tunnel
http://www.onbrokenground.com/blog
http://vimeopro.com/kevinconder/portfolio

olan_collardy

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 7:11 am

nilsio wrote:I have to chime in here. I totally agree, the BMCC and BMPCC produce waaaay nicer colour and tone to the GH4. There is simply no comparison in my opinion, they're the next best thing to an Alexa.

+1
I call the BMCC a baby Alexa :)

Samjack

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 9:10 am

olan_collardy wrote:

+1

So what do you call the BMPCC? Fetus Alexa :lol:

grinleon

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 10:16 am

Samjack wrote:
olan_collardy wrote:

+1

So what do you call the BMPCC? Fetus Alexa :lol:

BMPCC is Spermatozoon Alexa and fetus Amira :?
Leon Grin

Marius Viggen

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 11:03 am

This is going nowhere...

Willem Timmersma

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 11:15 am

redmaks wrote:This is going nowhere...

The thread with false hope...

joechiazza

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 12:37 pm

I seriously woke up today thinking today was the day! Haha.

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 12:47 pm

joechiazza wrote:I seriously woke up today thinking today was the day! Haha.

We're closing to july. Anyone still thinks URSA has nothing to do with it?
Ulysses Paiva

joechiazza

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Yeah I bet it's the URSA. When does that get released? July right? If they release that camera before the update I'm going to flip

Willem Timmersma

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 1:12 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with the URSA, last time we thought it was the 4K model.

Just all speculations, i gave up. :oops:

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 1:27 pm

Reverb wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with the URSA, last time we thought it was the 4K model.

Just all speculations, i gave up. :oops:

Auhauhauhauha

I get it. It would be good if it was released along with the URSA, right? In fact, it is even worse... :D
Ulysses Paiva

Robert Niessner

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 1:28 pm

It is the NAB 2015 cameras. They have to unify the firmware for the future cameras they will release soon in July 2015. Then we will get this mythical update and will live happily ever after.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Nicolas Duchon

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 2:00 pm

But if you take a 4k image even shot in camera from a GH4 and (as you can do) leverage 4 times the pixels down to an HD image you can (using the right software) end up with a 10 bit 4:4:4 image that looks and grades very well.

You can't get 10 bits HD from 8 bits UHD, this whole story on EOSHD is heavy misunderstanding and should not be spread as if true and proven (but the benefits regarding chroma subsampling are real).

(that doesn't mean that GH4 UHD downscaled to HD doesn't have the potential to look gorgeous)
Last edited by Nicolas Duchon on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:It is the NAB 2015 cameras. They have to unify the firmware for the future cameras they will release soon in July 2015. Then we will get this mythical update and will live happily ever after.

+1
I always agree with what Robert say. He always nails it.
Ulysses Paiva
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography