New Firmware....

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David Chapman

Re: New Firmware....

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Woogybeef wrote:
james_m wrote:Loaded the new firmware, switched on raw, fired off some test shots:

Raw plays back in-camera fine
The individual DNGs open in ACR or an image sequence in After Effects
Resolve will import them but displays them all screwy (see below)
Finder/Preview (OSX Mav) does the same (see below)

Any thoughts on what's going wrong?

C'est faux ce que vous dites! Pour moi, aucun problème avec Resolve avec DNGs 4K avec BMPC 4K sous Windows Pro 8.1.

You may have an older version of Resolve. I think 10.1.5 added BMPC4K support, or perhaps the one before. Check your version and download the update if you haven't already.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Frank Glencairn

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 6:40 pm

pavel89l wrote:Yes I have figured it out but it still not as fast or convenient as using touch screen or have dedicated hardware buttons or dials. Assignable buttons would be even better.

I doubt that it would be possible to introduce a touchscreen or additional hardware buttons via firmware update.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Pavel Lavrov

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 6:47 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:
pavel89l wrote:Yes I have figured it out but it still not as fast or convenient as using touch screen or have dedicated hardware buttons or dials. Assignable buttons would be even better.

I doubt that it would be possible to introduce a touchscreen or additional hardware buttons via firmware update.

V.2 pocket cam with new sensor..

But for current camera why not make right left button assignable on the main live view screen. So it would be possible to press "Left" button and highlight ASA and change it on a fly with "UP" and "down" buttons.
Pavel L

Jeroen Rommelaars

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 6:56 pm

I actually thought this was the official release - was too excited too check sources, so now I have a 2.5k camera with the new firmware. Is that a bad thing? I know its not officially supported, but honestly it all seems to work fine, if not better than the previous version.

What are you guys doing? Reverting back or be this renegade beta-tester? :)
Cheers!
Cropped Media - videoproductie Amersfoort, utrecht - http://cropped.nl

joechiazza

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Jeroen.r wrote:I actually thought this was the official release - was too excited too check sources, so now I have a 2.5k camera with the new firmware. Is that a bad thing? I know its not officially supported, but honestly it all seems to work fine, if not better than the previous version.

What are you guys doing? Reverting back or be this renegade beta-tester? :)
Cheers!

Renegade. What's done is done.

Brian@202020

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:24 pm

BMD shouldn't be so careless as to upload a beta firmware to a link that people can guess. Seems very amateur. They better hope no one bricks their camera. Even tho they said they won't support it, they'd have to, it originally came from a BMD direct download link. Another BMD mess to clean up.

Kyle Gordon

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:28 pm

Oh come on.

There is plenty of fair criticism to aim at BM, but if oyu go guessing URL addresses that aren't linked to anywhere on the site, and download unofficial assets, how can you turn around and blame them. Take some responsibility for yourself!

It really makes all the legitimate complaints look like whiners when people talk like this.
Kyle Gordon
Professional Singer/Composer/Producer and Director/Editor/Colorist

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:28 pm

Brian@202020 wrote:BMD shouldn't be so careless as to upload a beta firmware to a link that people can guess. Seems very amateur. They better hope no one bricks their camera. Even tho they said they won't support it, they'd have to, it originally came from a BMD direct download link. Another BMD mess to clean up.

They don't have to support firmware that they didn't actively distribute. There isn't a single shred of legal that would hold them to that.

If you put it on your camera and you brick it, you take responsibility for it.
Kholi Hicks

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:30 pm

NYCcomposer wrote:Oh come on.

There is plenty of fair criticism to aim at BM, but if oyu go guessing URL addresses that aren't linked to anywhere on the site, and download unofficial assets, how can you turn around and blame them. Take some responsibility for yourself!

It really makes all the legitimate complaints look like whiners when people talk like this.

Agreed, one hundred percent.
Kholi Hicks

Pavel Lavrov

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:30 pm

NYCcomposer wrote:Oh come on. ...but if oyu go guessing URL addresses that aren't linked to anywhere on the site, and download unofficial assets, how can you turn around and blame them.

Don't think it was just guessing. It was leaked by some one who knew too much.. A beta tester?
Pavel L

David Sandberg

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:31 pm

pavel89l wrote:Don't think it was just guessing. It was leaked by some one who knew too much.. A beta tester?

It was just guessing. I was the one who linked to it and I'm not a beta tester.

By the way, I thought I was linking to something that was just moments away from being announced anyway. Didn't mean to cause any trouble.
Last edited by David Sandberg on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:31 pm

pavel89l wrote:
NYCcomposer wrote:Oh come on. ...but if oyu go guessing URL addresses that aren't linked to anywhere on the site, and download unofficial assets, how can you turn around and blame them.

Don't think it was just guessing. It was leaked by some one who knew too much.. A beta tester?

It was educated guessing by the original poster. He already stated this.
Kholi Hicks

joechiazza

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:32 pm

I think we all need to relax a bit. No one is bricking their camera. This is a gold master. I'm sure it'll be officially released in a few days.

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:33 pm

joechiazza wrote:I think we all need to relax a bit. No one is bricking their camera. This is a gold master. I'm sure it'll be officially released in a few days.

What concrete information and/or evidence do you have that supports this claim?
Last edited by Kholi Hicks on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kholi Hicks

Brian@202020

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:33 pm

Hey I'm fine, and optimistic. Been a BMD supported from day one. I won't say I haven't complained, but it's rare. Just saying I know the legal side of things and if camera's get bricked it could be messy. I don't think it'll happen tho. I have it installed on my camera's and they work fine. Been shooting all morning. I think the only reason it hasn't been released is because the 4K RAW isn't supported by Resolve yet.
Last edited by Brian@202020 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:35 pm

Brian@202020 wrote:Hey I'm fine, and optimistic. Been a BMD supported from day one. I won't say I haven't complained, but it's rare. Just saying I know the legal side of things and if camera's get bricked it could be messy. I don't think it'll happen tho. I have it installed on my camera's and they work fine. Been shooting all morning. I think the only reason ist hasn't been released is because the 4K RAW isn't supported by Resolve yet.

No offense, but the legal side of things would never bother with such a claim. You downloaded and installed what's technically a pirated firmware update at this point. There's no law or legal that would pin BMD for your bricked camera, or any other loss you suffer because you've installed it.
Kholi Hicks

joechiazza

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:38 pm

I downloaded from a link on BMD servers and tested it on all 3 cams for starters. And nothing bricked and everything works great with improvments on all cameras. The readme states no where that it is a beta. From what I can tell it's GM and they are just prepping to update their site to release the content.
Last edited by joechiazza on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:39 pm

joechiazza wrote:I downloaded and tested it on all 3 cams for starters. And nothing bricked and everything works great with improvments on all cameras. The readme states no where that it is a beta. From what I can tell it's GM and they are just prepping to update their site to release the content.

SO basically you're guessing. Got it.
Kholi Hicks

joechiazza

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Kholi wrote:
joechiazza wrote:I downloaded and tested it on all 3 cams for starters. And nothing bricked and everything works great with improvments on all cameras. The readme states no where that it is a beta. From what I can tell it's GM and they are just prepping to update their site to release the content.

SO basically you're guessing. Got it.

And your guessing I'm wrong...got it.

Brian@202020

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:40 pm

If someone just posted a link that wasn't a BMD direct download link it'd be another story, but since it was a BMD direct download link it could be a problem. I come from a family full of lawyers, buy hay, what do I know. Like I said It will likely not be an issue tho.

Abe Loftis

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:42 pm

It could be on a timer, will self destruct in 3,2,1 :o

Mark Jamerson

This "leaked" release was brilliant to say the least. It get all you forum spammers something to take your mind off of "its not coming out" and to show you they are indeed working on the issues they mentioned.

Nicely planned leak, now let them get back to work as they've shown you that it exist and they are almost done for all the ones spamming the forums about delays etc.
Mark Jamerson
Jamerson Studios

joechiazza

The link was directly from BMD. The same thing happened with the 1.7 firmware. It was availble via link before an official announcement.

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Brian@202020 wrote:If someone just posted a link that wasn't a BMD direct download link it'd be another story, but since it was a BMD direct download link it could be a problem. I come from a family full of lawyers, buy hay, what do I know. Like I said It will likely not be an issue tho.

If you have time ask one of them if a non-actively distributed or un-authorized piece of software meant to alter the operating state of a specific device in this situation would make the author liable for any loss or damage.
Kholi Hicks

Brian@202020

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Kholi wrote:
Brian@202020 wrote:If someone just posted a link that wasn't a BMD direct download link it'd be another story, but since it was a BMD direct download link it could be a problem. I come from a family full of lawyers, buy hay, what do I know. Like I said It will likely not be an issue tho.

If you have time ask one of them if a non-actively distributed or un-authorized piece of software meant to alter the operating state of a specific device in this situation would make the author liable for any loss or damage.

I don't have to, because my uncle was involved in a very similar case a couple of years ago that I've heard about with regards to a television company. I didn't just guess here, if I didn't have an insight I wouldn't have said anything.

Rauno Linnamäe

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:52 pm

Before the legal discussion on liability issues gets too deep, I wonder whether there are any verified reports of the update permanently bricking cameras? I have tried to follow the discussion here and elsewhere but have failed to notice any such cases.
Special Effects Supervisor / Key Grip / Managing Partner at Nordic Vision
http://www.nordic-vision.eu

Kholi Hicks

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:54 pm

Brian@202020 wrote:
Kholi wrote:

I don't have to, because my uncle was involved in a very similar case a couple of years ago that I've heard about with regards to a television company. I didn't just guess here, if I didn't have an insight I wouldn't have said anything.

I see.
Kholi Hicks

Brian@202020

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:55 pm

I believe the company just settled, so maybe they just didn't want the headache of dragging it out.

Brian@202020

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:58 pm

Rauno Linnamäe wrote:Before the legal discussion on liability issues gets too deep, I wonder whether there are any verified reports of the update permanently bricking cameras? I have tried to follow the discussion here and elsewhere but have failed to notice any such cases.

I don't think anyone would be bricking their camera's, It's been working fine for most people I believe.

joechiazza

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 8:03 pm

Brian@202020 wrote:
Rauno Linnamäe wrote:Before the legal discussion on liability issues gets too deep, I wonder whether there are any verified reports of the update permanently bricking cameras? I have tried to follow the discussion here and elsewhere but have failed to notice any such cases.

I don't think anyone would be bricking their camera's, It's been working fine for most people I believe.

Agreed

Rauno Linnamäe

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 8:07 pm

That is also the impression I have - just thought I missed something.
Special Effects Supervisor / Key Grip / Managing Partner at Nordic Vision
http://www.nordic-vision.eu

Mark Davies

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 8:11 pm

The new update is pretty amazing now 4K resolution or as good as and must give us at least two more stops in my opinion.
Mark Davies

Mark Davies

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 8:13 pm

The readme was updated June 20th so this must be a recent update.
Mark Davies

Timothy Montoya

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 8:16 pm

I don't see them compiling a full readme with all the updates, and posting it to the link that the final one will reside just for beta testers, so it has to be legit imo

joechiazza

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Timothy Montoya wrote:I don't see them compiling a full readme with all the updates, and posting it to the link that the final one will reside just for beta testers, so it has to be legit imo

Agreed. Or the readme would have beta version number for testers or something like that.

Mark Davies

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 8:23 pm

Another thing is wouldn't the link for a beta tester be different This link was on the same address as it would be if it were the official version,
Mark Davies

Timothy Montoya

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 8:37 pm

I just looked through the manual provided with the Blackmagic Camera Utility 1.8. It has all the updated GUI images in it with the new interface. It also explains the different recording formats that the Production camera can do, including RAW

Chris Chiasson

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 8:59 pm

Just installed it in the pocket. Definitely gets rid of the electronic sounds for the internal, though after comparing the two firmwares, it sounds like they're using a filter, since it's a lot more muffled compared to the other. Still, it's a lot more usable audio now, though I'd still never use it over an external mic.

Will Tejeda

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 9:07 pm

Just Installed it on my bmcc ef 2.5k

-1600 seems cleaner of chroma noise
-focus button now switched
--1 tap = autofocus
--double-tap = focus peaking
------focus peaking is now a bright green, so it's easier to follow
------Autofocus is slow but functional

gui theme is different, pleasing but not a huge difference
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Ubstar

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Any 4k users notice a reduction in FPN?
SIGN THE PETITION TO GET BLACKMAGIC TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND FIX THE FPN ISSUE WITH THE PC4K

http://www.change.org/petitions/blackmagic-design-we-want-them-to-acknowledge-and-fix-the-fixed-pattern-noise-issue-with-the-blackmagic-production-camera-4k

joechiazza

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Ubstar wrote:Any 4k users notice a reduction in FPN?

Not me.

Mark Davies

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Ubstar wrote:Any 4k users notice a reduction in FPN?

My second camera was pretty clean so I haven't noticed any FPN issues other than the small amount I already had.
One big thing I cant seem to see any hot/stuck pixels in RAW?
Mark Davies

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 9:50 pm

David Chapman wrote:I'm positive. The 4000x2160 is the native resolution of the sensor

Not true. David, you keep stating things as fact when i know they aren't and i don't think it's helpful to the community.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

joechiazza

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 9:53 pm

CaptainHook wrote:
David Chapman wrote:I'm positive. The 4000x2160 is the native resolution of the sensor

Not true. David, you keep stating things as fact when i know they aren't and i don't think it's helpful to the community.

David is right actually. I'm looking at the size of one raw frame right now. It is in fact 4000x2160. I would post a screenshot but it says the board quota has been reached.

ddeitch

Hey guys. Does the link for the newly leaked firmware update still work? I'm getting an "access denied" message. Thanks!

joechiazza

ddeitch wrote:Hey guys. Does the link for the newly leaked firmware update still work? I'm getting an "access denied" message. Thanks!

No, they took it down.

David Chapman

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 9:58 pm

CaptainHook wrote:

Sorry, but this is a fact. The maximum useable image of the sensor is 4000px wide. (We are talking about the 4K camera, correct?)
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Que Thompson

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 10:05 pm

:lol: Pure comedy. Inexplicable hilarity. :lol:

**blinks**

**hits refresh**

Chris Chiasson

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 10:06 pm

Tried external Mic (Rode VideoMic Pro). Without the 20+ gain, it's still pretty quite, but with it it's actually good audio with good levels. So you still might need a Mic with a booster of some sorts, but it's definitely louder then before.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 10:15 pm

joechiazza wrote:David is right actually. I'm looking at the size of one raw frame right now. It is in fact 4000x2160. I would post a screenshot but it says the board quota has been reached.

I'm not disputing the RAW resolution size, i'm disputing that 4000x2160 is the native resolution of the 4K sensor. It's not.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography