Get The Word Out

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

James M

Get The Word Out

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 5:24 am

I've been a fan of the BMCC since it was announced at NAB. I was also one of the misguided faithful that waited (cash ready no less...) for the fabled fixed lens RED Scarlet. But big deal so were a lot of others. I've been lurking here since the forum was created. But I never felt a need to sign up and post until now.

I don't have a complaint about what Blackmagic is doing because they very much want to sell us cameras every bit as much as we want to buy them. Possibly more. Getting the camera right and shipped in quantity takes time. So I'm willing to cut Grant and his teams some slack.

What I would suggest is that BMD start getting more information out about the camera beyond tech and camera sites and the occasional promotional event. I'm not urging more information on release dates. The camera will ship when it ships.

But these days there seems to be an effort to fill the void with misinformation. In recent weeks I've listened to more than one reasonable, seasoned professional talk about "all the problems" with the BMCC. Things like audio problems (no real explanation other than "it has problems") or comments about the power issues (what?) and of course the large "recall".

That last one really got me. Seeing as how I find it hard to understand how a camera that hasn't seen full release yet gets recalled. Sure, I know BMD doesn't bear responsibility for what people might say. And everyone will have their own opinion about what Grant individually and BMD as whole are or are not doing right. Just seems it might be time to get more general information out to the masses.
Cameras don't make bad pictures. People do.

Dave Dominguez

Re: Get The Word Out

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 5:31 am

well said.

are you talking about initial recall of the contaminated sensors, or something new?
https://vimeo.com/daviddominguez

John Bartman

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 6:10 am

James M wrote:I've been a fan of the BMCC since it was announced at NAB. I was also one of the misguided faithful that waited (cash ready no less...) for the fabled fixed lens RED Scarlet. But big deal so were a lot of others. I've been lurking here since the forum was created. But I never felt a need to sign up and post until now.

I don't have a complaint about what Blackmagic is doing because they very much want to sell us cameras every bit as much as we want to buy them. Possibly more. Getting the camera right and shipped in quantity takes time. So I'm willing to cut Grant and his teams some slack.

What I would suggest is that BMD start getting more information out about the camera beyond tech and camera sites and the occasional promotional event. I'm not urging more information on release dates. The camera will ship when it ships.

But these days there seems to be an effort to fill the void with misinformation. In recent weeks I've listened to more than one reasonable, seasoned professional talk about "all the problems" with the BMCC. Things like audio problems (no real explanation other than "it has problems") or comments about the power issues (what?) and of course the large "recall".

That last one really got me. Seeing as how I find it hard to understand how a camera that hasn't seen full release yet gets recalled. Sure, I know BMD doesn't bear responsibility for what people might say. And everyone will have their own opinion about what Grant individually and BMD as whole are or are not doing right. Just seems it might be time to get more general information out to the masses.

Could you post some links to the complaint?

Nick Bedford

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 6:14 am

I'd personally love to actually use one in person. But no one on these forums seems to suggest there is any "Check out the BMCC" event in Brisbane.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

John Brawley

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 9:23 am

James M wrote: and of course the large "recall".

Don't think there's been a recall.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Roland Öller

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 10:42 am

John Brawley wrote:

jb

Maybe they misunderstood the story about the faulty sensors as faulty cameras having been shipped? That's the only explanation I can think of.
:?:
Any way, it's weird that people would have a low opinion of the camera. Every reviewer so far has given it a thumbs up as far as I recall.
Are there even any negative reviews out there?

James M

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 11:14 pm

Sorry. Allow me to clarify. I'm almost certain the people I spoke to (one in person and one one via email) were simply misreading or misunderstanding the information that's been distributed from Blackmagic Design. And I'm almost certain they got the info from third party sites or simple hearsay. Particularly the issue about the sensor glass.

They're accomplished professionals but in this particular case very uninformed. I guess it's more their problem than one for BMD. I have some BMD gear but I'm not exactly a blind follower. I just don't liek when people spread misinformation, either knowingly or not.

Personally I've not read or watched any negative reviews of the camera. I've seen a few questions raised about one or two features or lack thereof but nothing that was really too far out in left field.

Well, when the camera is released in larger numbers, I'm sure it will stand on it's own merits.

Cuboirs

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 12:03 am

Roland Öller wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

jb

Maybe they misunderstood the story about the faulty sensors as faulty cameras having been shipped? That's the only explanation I can think of.
:?:
Any way, it's weird that people would have a low opinion of the camera. Every reviewer so far has given it a thumbs up as far as I recall.
Are there even any negative reviews out there?

Don't be mislead by reviews by people who in fact have hands in on this project! When actual customers review you'd have a better idea on the camera....

James M

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 2:59 am

I'm not looking to turn this into a whole insiders versus outsiders conversation. :D

I was simply proposing that perhaps BMD could possibly get more people talking about the camera in general beyond the forum, tech blurbs on various tech sites and the odd live Q & A event. That's all.

Andrew Robinson

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 7:40 am

Again well said, unfortunately there are people posting on these forums that continually try and drag down any reasonable conversation into a BMD bashing event.
I too have pre-ordered, paid a deposit, and have been disappointed at the delays, however I'd have been far more disappointed if the camera had been rushed out and faulty on delivery. Then having to deal with the RMA/warranty system of your supplier could mean a lot longer delay than what has happened so far.

I much prefer BMD get it right the first time.

Return to Cinematography