Firmware progress?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

MikeC

Firmware progress?

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 7:42 pm

With sensor issues continuing to impede the shipping of our BMCCs, I was wondering, are you guys continuing work on the firmware?

If so, how's it going? Any updates?

bhook

Re: Firmware progress?

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Excellent question! VUs, F/stop, SSD record capacity, exFAT?

muratcangokce

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Option to delete clips or formatting card on camera?
50/60 fps?
Peaking, zebra of false color maybe?
www.muratcan.film

Costa Louvieris

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 8:39 pm

mhood wrote:Excellent question! VUs, F/stop, SSD record capacity, exFAT?

All would be welcome and kind of the basic essentials really, but this IS a cheap camera... we can't have it all. No honestly can't have it all! You get a preorder receipt and that's it; )

In all seriousness I think those things will come in time. Especially ExFAT considering the recent updates to the BMD hyperdecks.

MikeC

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 8:52 pm

Yeah, I realize that this might not be priority! ;-) But, as a pre-orderer and tortured wait-er, I thought it would be cool to get a few nuggets of hope to keep me steady in my resolve and against the the new lowered price Red One crack on the street! :?

mastroiani

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 11:49 pm

I just hope the camera ships soon and Blackmagic people overcome the production woes. 3K is such an amazing pice that I personally am willing to pay another $50 for focus peaking update alone. I'd rather it was free, but I'm happy to support this amazing company that brought us (low budget filmmakers like me) breath of fresh air.

John Brawley

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 4:39 am

mastroiani wrote:I just hope the camera ships soon and Blackmagic people overcome the production woes. 3K is such an amazing pice that I personally am willing to pay another $50 for focus peaking update alone. I'd rather it was free, but I'm happy to support this amazing company that brought us (low budget filmmakers like me) breath of fresh air.

Um send me your $50 cause the camera has had focus peaking since day 1.....

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Costa Louvieris

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 4:53 am

John Brawley wrote:
mastroiani wrote:I just hope the camera ships soon and Blackmagic people overcome the production woes. 3K is such an amazing pice that I personally am willing to pay another $50 for focus peaking update alone. I'd rather it was free, but I'm happy to support this amazing company that brought us (low budget filmmakers like me) breath of fresh air.

jb

Doesn't focus peaking only have the choice of one colour outline atm? I thought it was white... I shoot on an infinity wall which is white so this confuses things for me.
Last edited by Costa Louvieris on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Brawley

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 4:57 am

Costa wrote:Doesn't focus peaking only have the choice of one colour outline atm? I thought it was whet... I shoot on an infinity wall which is white so this confuses things for me.

It's a false kind of sharpening. Old school peaking before the started introducing colour versions and thicker outlines. Whatever's sharp will tend to POP. Also good for checking moire and for dead pixels.

There has to be some kind of contrast for it to work and there has to be a bit of exposure too. It doesn't work so well if you're underexposing (which is when you need it most of course).

So pointing at a white wall, unless there's some texture in there, it won't show up, but neither will a coloured version of focus peaking.

I'd really like to be able to change the detecting threshold so it could go lower (for low light) or turn it down for wide angle shots where everything tends to look in focus when you use the current peaking.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 12:45 am

Yes we are still working on software updates. We don't talk about upcoming features but there will be some nice stuff in there. :)

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 2:05 am

Kristian Lam wrote:Yes we are still working on software updates. We don't talk about upcoming features but there will be some nice stuff in there. :)

Nice to hear the production issues haven't impacted on the software development :)
I feel there are some exciting times ahead, can't wait to receive my camera. Keep up the good work!
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

mastroiani

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 8:07 pm

John Brawley wrote:

jb

My fault, missed that :) As soon as I get my hands on the actual camera I will personally paypal you the money :) But, I need to first believe in the materiality of the camera in my hands. Better soon, than later...

MikeC

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 10:30 pm

I'll gladly send JB $50 for 60fps! :lol:

I know... I know... just joking. :roll:

Guisphoto

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 8:32 pm

Please, 4:3 RECORDING MODE IS A MUST!!!!!. This will be one of the best upgrades.
Alberto Ros
http://vimeo.com/guis

matthijsliethof

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Guisphoto wrote:Please, 4:3 RECORDING MODE IS A MUST!!!!!. This will be one of the best upgrades.

Why? I don't really understand. Since all the new monitors and tv's are 16:9.

paulkosmala

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 11:07 pm

MatthijsLiethof wrote:
Guisphoto wrote:Please, 4:3 RECORDING MODE IS A MUST!!!!!. This will be one of the best upgrades.

It is for anamorphic lenses, 4:3 is better than 16:9 for the aspect conversion, and you get the vertical resolution.

paulkosmala

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 11:16 pm

paulkosmala wrote:
MatthijsLiethof wrote:

It is for anamorphic lenses, 4:3 is better than 16:9 for the aspect conversion, and you get the vertical resolution.

focus peaking,
Under-exposure zebras, false colors.
4:3 recording modes...

those are all good, and doable (verdicts still out on 4:3)

but above all there are 3 features to make this camera fully functional.

undercraking frame-rates. (not often used, but so much better to speed up in post, great for action movies where they tend to shoot in 20-23 and speed it up in post) for those who do time lapse as well would love a 2FPS option - it would save so much space!

iris information: this should be a given. (ef only)

a shutter speed option: shutter angle is great, but there are too many reasons to want to dial in a specific shutter speed. more options the better. I don't want to replace shutter angle, just add to it.

Nick Bedford

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 11:36 pm

MatthijsLiethof wrote:

This would be for 4:3 anamorphic, yeah?
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

rick.lang

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 12:19 am

Recording 4:3 (and presumably coupled with using more of the sensor than the current 16:9 limit of 1366 lines of resolution) would support an effective 8:3 aspect ratio (2.667:1) using a 2x anamorphic. This is the holy grail of many who want anamorphic options.

It would be nice to get the highest possible lines of resolution that the sensor supports, but I understand currently this presents a great many problems including heat, speed of the processors, ability of the SSDs to record the higher bitrates, etc. Maybe in a future iteration when all components can handle the increased requirements.
Rick Lang

jasonxinzhou

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 1:49 am

Marco Solorio of OneRiver Media posted at his blog as follow:

Unfortunately at this time (Cinema Camera version 1.1), not all Canon lenses work with the EF model. I have quite a large collection of Canon L lenses and all but two work with the Cinema Camera, which includes the 85mm f/1.2L (probably Canon’s sharpest lens they’ve ever made) and the 35mm f/1.4L. Because the 85mm focuses electronically (I’ve always hated that feature, even on my Canon DSLRs), it requires a protocol that BMD hasn’t figured out yet (I’m assuming Canon isn’t going to just hand that kind of information out). So with the 85mm, there’s no focus, and no aperture control at this time. With the 35mm, no aperture control at this time (but focus works fine).

Will BMD solve this problem with future firmware?

Nick Bedford

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 2:03 am

Wow. How'd they screw that up so badly? That's new information.

Is there a list of supported lenses? Also, are they simply reverse engineering it or actually have information from Canon?

Just a bunch of questions for an alarming new development.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 2:16 am

Nick Bedford wrote:Wow. How'd they screw that up so badly? That's new information.

Is there a list of supported lenses? Also, are they simply reverse engineering it or actually have information from Canon?

That was kind of predictable though, considering Canon themselves have to make firmware updates for camera bodies and lenses sometimes to fix compatibility issues. A camera with a Canon mount that isn't made by Canon will hardly be any different. The Canon 40mm F2.8 I bought recently uses electronic focusing as well, which will probably make the lens useless on the BMCC. I would like to know from BMD if they have a way of fixing these lens specific firmware issues?
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 3:50 am

Yeah, disappointing. Lets move the discussion here if we can so everyone can follow easily:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2472
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Guisphoto

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 9:49 am

rick.lang wrote:Recording 4:3 (and presumably coupled with using more of the sensor than the current 16:9 limit of 1366 lines of resolution) would support an effective 8:3 aspect ratio (2.667:1) using a 2x anamorphic. This is the holy grail of many who want anamorphic options.

It would be nice to get the highest possible lines of resolution that the sensor supports, but I understand currently this presents a great many problems including heat, speed of the processors, ability of the SSDs to record the higher bitrates, etc. Maybe in a future iteration when all components can handle the increased requirements.

Hi Rick!!, absolutely, 2.66:1 using a 2x anamorphic lens is an amazing aspect ratio. Without a 4:3 mode, shoot with BMCC and anamorphic lenses is a waste of time&money. A camera called "cinema camera" needs a cinema recording mode.

A 2592 x 2192 mode (the whole sensor resolution without 16:9 crop) would be one of the best advance in a RAW cinema camera at this price. Yes, probably could represent many problems as Rick said but... It would be great, isn't it? :D Think about Alexa studio and his 2581 x 2160 ARRIRAW mode. BMCC competing with Alexa??? well, they could do it with this mode, I think. It will be a dream for anamorphic shooters.

Until this moment comes, what about a 2336 x 1752 or similar, like the Digital Bolex?. Also in this mode you will have a great vertical resolution. What do you think? Could anybody at BMD tell us if this is possible?
Cheers
Alberto Ros
http://vimeo.com/guis

matthijsliethof

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Nick Bedford wrote:
MatthijsLiethof wrote:

This would be for 4:3 anamorphic, yeah?

John Brawley

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 9:17 pm

Nick Bedford wrote:Wow. How'd they screw that up so badly? That's new information.

It's only the focus by wire EF lenses, of which there are only a handful.

It's not screwed up, they just haven't gotten around to reverse engineering it yet.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Nelson Villamil

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi guys

With the camera in my hands, and doing various tests.

Besides all the above suggestions from colleagues.

To the development team.

- Support for exFAT. VERY IMPORTANT
- Format the SSD directly from camera. VERY IMPORTANT
- Be able to write labels the SSD (important for DIT, Data Wrangler, avoid overwriting errors).
- Remaining recording time in SSD (percentage or time) and alarm display. VERY IMPORTANT
- VUs for audio. VERY IMPORTANT
- Information on screen aperture value º F.
- Remove clips directly from the camera.
- When playing the clips, the display information is for the clip (ASA, fps, # clip, etc), in version 1.1 shows the camera settings. the PLAY arrow could be green.
- Play any recorded clip. Whether you've recorded on the different options (Raw. ProRes, DNxHD), currently only played clips of current camera selection.
- If you record in RAW, with Film color. if change the Video, when I play previously recorded clips, they affect reproduction. In my personal opinion, I think that should not happen, or be optional.
- Possible to have transparency for the menu interface. in areas that do not have information, (solid gray, gray background I mean).
- Option to access by key combination to view the current firmware version and other information of the camera hardware and camera settings. (Ex. push STOP for 5 sec or push and hold STOP y next PLAY)
- Choice of different colors peaking
-White balance manual option (Ex. change in values ​​of 100ºK).
-More pictures. 48fps, 60 and more.
- Timelapse.
- Option to select the information superimposed on the screen, and the SDI output independently (Audio VU, TC, guides etc).
- Waveform, Histogram.
To use the USB port to copy the material (I know, it's so slow USB information), but from experience can be an interesting and util option.
- Possible to have a Data Manager software, you can make a more secure verification, you can also help organize the material in a production

I will continue making suggestions.

Thank you very much.

Nelson Villamil

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi Guys

I am sure we are all outstanding new firmware for the camera.

Anyone have news????

:roll: :arrow: :arrow:

MikeC

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Just want to keep this on Blackmagic's radar... You guys have any new information? Like when this might be available for the ever-growing number of BMC owners? :D

Marcel Beck

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 8:21 am

When can I download this awesome new firmware? :)
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Nelson Villamil

PostMon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi

Thanks for the new firmware.

I also understand that we are in the process of development and improvement of the current model and future ..

Continuing with my small suggestions:

- Format the SSD directly from camera. VERY IMPORTANT
- Be able to write labels the SSD (important for DIT, Data Wrangler, avoid overwriting errors).
- Remaining recording time in SSD (percentage or time) and alarm display. VERY IMPORTANT
- VUs for audio. VERY IMPORTANT
- Remove clips directly from the camera.
- When playing the clips, the display information is for the clip (ASA, fps, # clip, etc), in version 1.1 shows the camera settings. the PLAY arrow could be green.
- Play any recorded clip. Whether you've recorded on the different options (Raw. ProRes, DNxHD), currently only played clips of current camera selection.
- If you record in RAW, with Film color. if change the Video, when I play previously recorded clips, they affect reproduction. In my personal opinion, I think that should not happen, or be optional.
- Possible to have transparency for the menu interface. in areas that do not have information, (solid gray, gray background I mean).
- Option to access by key combination to view the current firmware version and other information of the camera hardware and camera settings. (Ex. push STOP for 5 sec or push and hold STOP y next PLAY)
- Choice of different colors peaking
-White balance manual option (Ex. change in values ​​of 100ºK).
-More pictures. 48fps, 60 and more.
- Option to select the information superimposed on the screen, and the SDI output independently (Audio VU, TC, guides etc).
- Waveform, Histogram.
To use the USB port to copy the material (I know, it's so slow USB information), but from experience can be an interesting and util option.
- Possible to have a Data Manager software, you can make a more secure verification, you can also help organize the material in a production.

Thanks a lot.

Return to Cinematography