MFT Tele lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

muratcangokce

MFT Tele lenses

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 8:16 pm

hi everyone.. I am gonna buy a mft mount bmcc. Variable lens and adaptor alternatives make me chose MFT mount version.. I have Samyang 24-35-85mm EF mount and a Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with a m42 to EOS adaptor. I am planning to use them on BMCC w/MFT mount via an EOS to MFT mount adaptor. As a wider lens, I tought SLRmagic 12mm f1.6 could be an option with its speed. f1.6 isn't a common speed at that angles not only for MFT also for EOS as well.

There is only a few question make me doubtful about my choice... Is there any budget zoom lens something like 55-200 or 70-200 equivalent on APS-C for MFT mounts and also is there any alternative to SLRmagic 12mm f1.6 on EF mount?

If I will choose EF mount I could access Canon 16-35 f2.8, which isn't fast as I want on that angle, and some tele zoom lenses as well.. Is there any kindly budget alternatives for them on MFT mount?

PS: I know there is a few topics about lens and lens choices but I need some specific recommendations I thought... Thank you!
www.muratcan.film

rick.lang

Re: MFT Tele lenses

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 11:12 pm

muratcangokce wrote:hi everyone.. I am gonna buy a mft mount bmcc...
There is only a few question make me doubtful about my choice... Is there any budget zoom lens something like 55-200 or 70-200 equivalent on APS-C for MFT mounts?

I too have looked at some options for budget zoom lenses for MFT and the problem for me at least is the fastest aperture is going to be f/2.8. Zooms are not an area strength, even when you get into higher priced options, the fastest will only approach f/2. I've read lots of (sometimes contradictory) reviews or lens comparisons (where the lenses compared may not be what you'll actually purchase today). And it was frustrating. I'm going with a set of ciné primes either T0.95 or T1.5 from Samyang, SLRMagic or Voitländer, plus possibly that 12mm 1.6 lens you identified. With that it's possible to cover 12, 17.5, 25, 35, 50, 85mm (but it will take time to assemble these as they're not all here today). Good luck looking for zooms; post if you find a great quality affordable solution with constant fast aperture (f/2?) but I gave up looking. I looked at Tokina, Tamron, and others at that quality/price. Internet is a trove of knowledge but it takes time to sift through what's there that fits with your needs.
Rick Lang

adamroberts

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 10:04 am

You could look at older manual zooms from Nikon (F & AF-D mount), Canon (FD mount), Contax Zeiss (C/Y mount) or even the much more rare Angenieux SRL lenses.

muratcangokce

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 1:12 pm

If I could buy the Voightlander 17,5mm, it would be enough for me but I cannot afford it... I don't need wider than it, I believe. SLRmagic is the only budget alternative beside voightlander 17,5mm and it is much wider than I need and probably the only alternative as a faster wide angle. I have bit of doubts because of that actually but I don't think it is that bad. My worst doubt about the slrmagic 12mm is that the how could this lens matches my samyang lenses? I have same doubt about other tele zoom alternatives as well..
www.muratcan.film

rick.lang

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 8:04 pm

On the wide end, if you want to match your Rokinon/Samyang lenses, then the Samyang 14mm T3.1 may be perfect as long as you find the aperture fast enough. That to me is the appeal of the SLRMagic 12mm since it's T1.6 I think.
http://www.photographyblog.com/news/sam ... ne_lenses/

I've had sage advice to only buy lenses that you'll use on a variety of cameras, i.e. don't just buy for the short-term current need (the BMCC). But I'm comfortable finally with the thought of staying in the MFT world and comfortable with manual lenses. I'd love to be covering events and sports where a set of primes on a single BMCC may be a foolish choice compared to a 70-200mm telephoto for example. There are options there but the budget options are slow, F4, say for Canon's 70-200mm. Although it's fine for daylight use. And I'm okay with the cost of it. But I really don't know if 200mm with a crop factor of 2.3 on the BMCC means that even on my tripod I would need the image stabilization and hence the BMCC EF camera. Anyone have an opinion on that? I'd like to stick with the BMCC MFT, but if I want to support and pan a 200mm lens, should I only buy an IS lens even if I'm on a decent tripod with fluid head?
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography