Firmware 1.8 Issues - official collection

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

danielhuber

Firmware 1.8 Issues - official collection

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi all,
I think we should collect all experiences with the new version 1.8 and collect them at one point, so that nobody has to seek through douzens threads to find all informations.

In think Interesting would especially be the following points

- is everything working properly? any crashes etc?
- supported (EF) lenses: Did anything change with your lenses? are those still working that worked before? Any lenses that didn't work before do work now?
- SSDs: are the SSDs you use still working? Or are there any problems?
- to the 4k customers: any changes on your FPN?
- anything else that you found out what we all might be interested in

Please don't forget to mention what camera you're talking about!

Florian Blang

Re: Firmware 1.8 Issues - official collection

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 1:58 pm

Hey guys,
I just wanted to update my BMCC and connected it via USB. After the software said to turn on my camera I did so but it didn´t recognize it so I turned the BMCC off.
Now it doesn´t turn on anymore AT ALL!
I tried to connect it again and charged it but nothing is happening and now I´m really scared that it´s dead :(
Has anybody heard of this before?
Greets,
Flo

Blaine Russom

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 2:07 pm

florianblang.com wrote:Hey guys,
I just wanted to update my BMCC and connected it via USB. After the software said to turn on my camera I did so but it didn´t recognize it so I turned the BMCC off.
Now it doesn´t turn on anymore AT ALL!
I tried to connect it again and charged it but nothing is happening and now I´m really scared that it´s dead :(
Has anybody heard of this before?
Greets,
Flo

Try again using these steps:
Turn on the BMCC camera plugin the usb into the camera. Then open the camera utility on the computer and plugin the usb from the camera into the computer. It should recognize your camera and the camera will appear as if it is "off" (but it's not).. wait for the camera utility to finish it's work and when it says it's finished then disconnect the camera and your good to go.

Florian Blang

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 2:08 pm

I just waited 10 minutes, now it´s working again :D

Thanks to everybody at Blackmagic Design for this awesome firmware update that makes the BMCC an even better camera!

Robert Niessner

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 3:16 pm

The ProRes Video mode on the BMCC has improved a lot, unfortunately there seems to be a bug in the blue channel - you get vertical stripes. Blue channel in film mode is ok.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Robert Niessner

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 4:46 pm

You can see the problem here in this image of the blue channel:

Above: Firmware 1.8 - blue channel in ProRes video mode (ASA200)

Above: Firmware 1.2 - blue channel in ProRes video mode (ASA200)
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

stevedougherty

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 6:01 pm

My display is now 100% shot. Flickering constantly on every single screen. Menu or shooting. Also my focus used to have a nice thin outline. It now has what looks like static all over an image in focus.

the update made my unit complete unusable.

Kirill Klyat

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 6:08 pm

I see a bug on pocket with green peacking. Turn 1600 asa and double tap - some green dots on the screen anywhere, focus no matter

Alex Klutchevski

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 6:51 pm

it is not a bug with focus peaking, it is ok for pocket. That stars are noise from overheating sensor, when you choose too high iso. It is totally ok for that camera, because it doesn't have built in noise reduction.

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 7:34 pm

It's not a bug, it's a feature: this way you even get visual feedback that you activated the function when there is nothing in focus at all... ;-)

theycallmefolsom

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 7:36 pm

Ok it seems like there is an issue with OIS with the pocket camera. Did some tests and im seeing patterns with my 14-42 OIS lens(no switch). The image stabilization works but im getting patterns that look similar too Interlaced footage. Here is the link. Download the original footage and you can see it much better.

Andy Dopieralski

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 7:49 pm

I noticed the new UI has introduced screen flicker (only on the menu). It feels like the screen is refreshing around 15Hz and is noticeably flickering as it does so.

This is a fairly small concern though. Overall, I'm glad to see this thing finally out!
http://watch.yourlamefriends.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1504735/

Francesco Bollorino

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 8:03 pm

The usefull color peaking on BMPCC seems dissapeared
Zebra works fine but I do prefer color paeking...
Francesco Bollorino
Editor of Psychiatry on line Italia
Thematic Channel on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1

robmneilson

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 8:13 pm

I am unable to get the firmware installed. No matter what I do, I get "connect camera via USB".

Could it be, because I'm on an older firmware? I did not install any of the new firmware updates since the original.

Andy Dopieralski

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Using an EF L 24mm-70mm I was shooting outside and I wanted to up the f to avoid an ND. After hitting stop 7, the camera jumped to 32 (unsupported) and now I can't get any iris/focus adjustments in camera. This is post reboot and lens reseat. This isn't great...

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 8:48 pm

robmneilson wrote:I am unable to get the firmware installed. No matter what I do, I get "connect camera via USB". Could it be, because I'm on an older firmware? I did not install any of the new firmware updates since the original.

Did you reboot after installing the camera utility? If you install utility for the first time, you also might have to do so with admin rights.

Francesco Bollorino wrote:The usefull color peaking on BMPCC seems dissapeared

I found that it hasn't disappeared completely, but it seems to be less pronounced, or maybe the marking threshold has been raised. With some softer lenses i can barely see the thin green lines, with other lenses it's more pronounced. All in all i like the new style, as it really only shows when the image is perfectly in focus - with the older version i still missed the best focus every now and then. (I just stepped up from 1.5 to 1.8, so this might not be new feature at all)

theycallmefolsom wrote:The image stabilization works but im getting patterns that look similar too Interlaced footage. Here is the link. Download the original footage and you can see it much better.

That doesn't look like stabilisation artifacts at all, more like double exposure (wrong fps / shutter angle with respect to the lighting frequency?) or frame blending. Could you describe the camera settings and shooting conditions? The OIS would have to "vibrate" at a frequency at least double the framerate to be the culprit...

robmneilson

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 8:51 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:"Did you reboot after installing the camera utility? If you install utility for the first time, you also might have to do so with admin rights.
[/quote]

Yes, I rebooted the camera utility after installation (I also ran the uninstaller before each installation). Had the camera on and connected when I started the utility. Tapped the power button, restarted the camera once again, and also tried installing the 1.7 utility to no avail. I'm going to stop messing with it now as I'm about to leave for a shoot.

In a few days Ill get my macbook back from repairs, so perhaps that computer will have it work...but I'd love to get this updated for my shoots this week.
Last edited by robmneilson on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Chiasson

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 8:52 pm

The external audio for the Pocket Camera seems to have an hiss that wasn't there before with 1.7. I've tested both, and it's definitely there.

Neal Tate

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 9:32 pm

bmcc has slight screen flicker after update :(

Marius Viggen

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 9:52 pm

gravitatemediagroup wrote:bmcc has slight screen flicker after update :(

Screen flicker, also in footage. This sucks.

Marius Viggen

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 9:53 pm

And more aliasing.

Scott Pultz

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 9:54 pm

redmaks wrote:

The screen flicker goes away. This happens for every firmware update.

Marius Viggen

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Scott P wrote:
redmaks wrote:

The screen flicker goes away. This happens for every firmware update.

I know it is supposed to go away after "a few minutes of operation", but it doesn't. It just keeps flickering
and flickering.

Jules Bushell

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Chris Chiasson wrote:The external audio for the Pocket Camera seems to have an hiss that wasn't there before with 1.7. I've tested both, and it's definitely there.

Do you have a wav download of the hiss? What mic are you using and how are you connecting it to your camera?

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

johnjvogel

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:40 pm

Audio still an issue. Levels are too low. Re-installed 1.2.1 and now there's an ongoing flicker.
macOS - Mojave 10.14.4
iMac - 2013 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
Ram 16GB
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1 GB

Lorenzo Straight

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:51 pm

Good to have decent 1600 ASA. Looks really good.
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

Chris Chiasson

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 11:10 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:
Chris Chiasson wrote:The external audio for the Pocket Camera seems to have an hiss that wasn't there before with 1.7. I've tested both, and it's definitely there.

Do you have a wav download of the hiss? What mic are you using and how are you connecting it to your camera?

Jules

https://soundcloud.com/user587361016/blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-1-2014-06-24-1857-c0001

I did this test in a closet, with all doors and windows closed. Listen with your volume on high. I go from 0 to 50 to 100. The fact that you can clearly hear it at 50 is horrible.

For this test, it's the Rode VideoMic Pro. I've done the same test with a H4n, and got the same. Even worse, you can hear it by just having a cable plugged into the jack without a mic. Here's another test.

https://soundcloud.com/user587361016/blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-1-2014-06-24-1858-c0002

Neal Tate

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 11:19 pm

my screen is no longer flickering ;)

Trent Garlipp

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 11:29 pm

I've noticed the audio has changed for the internal microphones too, now everything sounds tinny and I think the whirring noise of the fans is gone... it seems they've just run everything through a low-pass filter or something so higher frequencies sound weird...

Chris Chiasson

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 11:43 pm

pilrag wrote:

I've noticed the audio has changed for the internal microphones too, now everything sounds tinny and I think the whirring noise of the fans is gone... it seems they've just run everything through a low-pass filter or something so higher frequencies sound weird...

Yeah, there's definitely a filter going on with the internal mic, but I'd take that over the electronic noise we were hearing before. At least it gives the pocket's internal mic a "possible" (though unlikely) option for usable audio without an external mic (for closeups that is), even though it's still too low, and will need a post production boost. But I'd use it for scratch track still.

Dillon McEvoy

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 12:43 am

Cannot play back RAW clips on the 4K camera, in camera. It will play for a second and a half or so, then freeze while the audio continues to play.

Leo McKillop

BMPCC OIS possible to turn off/on ?

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 1:00 am

So I just tested the latest firmware on my BMPCC w/14-42 PZ lens and I notice OIS is on by how smooth it is when i move the camera around.
Question: Is there any way to turn it off ? (since there is no physical switch on this lens) I didn't see anything in the menu.
thanks,

Timothy Montoya

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 1:42 am

Dillon wrote:Cannot play back RAW clips on the 4K camera, in camera. It will play for a second and a half or so, then freeze while the audio continues to play.

I think this is your SSD. I've been able to play back 14 minute clips with full audio

Ubstar

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 1:51 am

Dillon wrote:Cannot play back RAW clips on the 4K camera, in camera. It will play for a second and a half or so, then freeze while the audio continues to play.

There are a couple topics that deal with the same issue. I am having the problem as well.
SIGN THE PETITION TO GET BLACKMAGIC TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND FIX THE FPN ISSUE WITH THE PC4K

http://www.change.org/petitions/blackmagic-design-we-want-them-to-acknowledge-and-fix-the-fixed-pattern-noise-issue-with-the-blackmagic-production-camera-4k

Stephen Dixon

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 1:56 am

I am unable to get the firmware installed. No matter what I do, I get "connect camera via USB".

I'm having the same problem as robmneilson. Installed the BM Camera utility, restarted, plugged in the USB and nothing. Tried a few different usb cables, different ports on the machine, restarting camera and machine, all to no avail. It doesn't show up on the USB Device tree in System information either.
BMCC 2K, macpro 2010

sean mclennan

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 2:10 am

Hey guys, can you please use your real names, as the forum rules state? Even if you just put your name in your signature. Would be appreciated, thx.

Yes, the flicker is known and SHOULD disappear after a few minutes of the camera being turned on. I've never heard of it appearing on footage though. Maybe double check your shutter angle and make sure you're not getting strobing from the light in the scene.

Alternatively, you could try downgrading your firmware and re-installing the 1.8 upgrade. I had to do this once with 1.4.

I don't think the input level of the audio will ever increase dramatically, it's not an amp. I'm sure Chris will chime in with a more technical breakdown of the audio changes.

As for stopped playback, that's definitely your SSD.

Stib...your steps don't show launching the utility? I plug my camera in, turn it on, then launch the camera utility, it searches for a second, finds the camera and tells me it needs an update. Are you saying that utility is giving you a message saying it can't find the camera?

Andy Dopieralski

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 5:37 am

sean mclennan wrote:Hey guys, can you please use your real names, as the forum rules state? Even if you just put your name in your signature. Would be appreciated, thx.

Sorry about that. Did something change? I'm unable to edit my display name anymore. Well, added the signature anyway.

Craftypics

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 6:55 am

occamsmonkey wrote:Using an EF L 24mm-70mm I was shooting outside and I wanted to up the f to avoid an ND. After hitting stop 7, the camera jumped to 32 (unsupported) and now I can't get any iris/focus adjustments in camera. This is post reboot and lens reseat. This isn't great...

Just about to post this issue on mine but see you have it too. I did a few quick shots at F/4 and then I stopped reframed and it went straight to F/32 which doesnt even exist on that lens. Nothing can move it from there. Pressing Iris button, powering off/on trying to manually adjust Iris all no good.

Tried the lens on my 5D and the lens/iris is working fine on that

Michael Selge
Craftypics

Jonny G.

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 7:32 am

Blackmagic doesnt like the 24-70mm Lens :cry: i gave up on that one

Marius Viggen

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 2:27 pm

Flickering continues, but only in low light. (was not like this before 1.8)
A lot more aliasing and moire and noise generally. This is not at all good.
Ill do a more controlled shoot today, so I hope thats better.

Is this a punishment for giving BMD a hard time, with the petition and everything, did
they put a bug in my download? I didn't mean what I said, I always believed in blackmagic, and
I regret my actions on this forum. Could you please provide me with a firmware that works now? I will
never misbehave ever again!

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 3:23 pm

I have often found that when I get the "connect camera" error message it is resolved when I choose another usb port on my PC. Perhaps you are using a hub, or a keyboard input? Try a direct connection to your usb internal port.

Lorenzo Galanti

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 4:06 pm

[quote="danielhuber"]Hi all,
I think we should collect all experiences with the new version 1.8 and collect them at one point, so that nobody has to seek through douzens threads to find all informations.

Never had any problem since 1.8
Unzipped the utility, connected BMCC 4k and chrash.
Restored system, unzipped again, connected camera, chrash.
Can't update my camera.
Win7, Core i7, GeForce 740m

Any suggestion?
Thanks

Marius Viggen

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 8:35 pm

For me the trouble continues, now, in addition to the above mentioned, i have FPN in my BMCC.
Never had it before 1.8. This update really was a disaster for me!

Grzegorz Styczen

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 9:18 pm

It's not a real issue but the screen now flickers once when I push to pixel to pixel (when double tapping on the screen).

On the other hand when I changed framerate, the camera no longer needs to restart like in old firmware, which is a nice undocumented change... if I'm not wrong.

robmneilson

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 11:29 pm

I am officially stupid, tried different ports etc to update...and it was just a bad cable all along. Of course the most obvious thing.

Update complete, and will break it out on a test shoot for a restaurant commercial tomorrow.

Miguel Salinas

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 5:28 am

I have recorded in RAW some clips and cant' playback or freeezes
Also I have recorded some clips in Prores 4k and they were playing smoothly before the 1.8 update
After the update even those prores clips can't be played anymore inside the camera.
I have the samsung 840 pro that have passed the tests of the drive utility with read and write 4k
This SSD have a read speed of 540MB/s and a write speed of 520MB/s I know that this is not constant but it have passed the tests
I think there is a problem not concerning the SSD

Stephen Dixon

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 5:57 am

sean mclennan wrote:Stib...your steps don't show launching the utility? I plug my camera in, turn it on, then launch the camera utility, it searches for a second, finds the camera and tells me it needs an update. Are you saying that utility is giving you a message saying it can't find the camera?

Yes I launched the Utility, and it's telling me: "Connect Blackmagic Camera via USB!"

It may be that the usb port on the camera is dodgy; It seems kinda loose. We'll take it back to our supplier when we get a chance.

kasper

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 1:42 pm

I updated my pocket camera , worked fine, then the 4k keeps asking to "connect blacmagic camera via usb".
did all restarts, the usb cable works etc. etc. did anyone find a solution for this? thnx, Kasper.

! problem solved : downloaded everything from bm website for a second time, uninstalled and installed (again) , this time it worked! don't know exactly why, but happy that it 's ok now!
K. van der Horst, the Netherlands.

Chris Chiasson

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 11:07 pm

More audio tests with the Pocket Camera set to 1.8. This is more on the dialogue side, and put through Auditions noise reduction workflow.

Before:

https://soundcloud.com/user587361016...t-pre-audition

And After:

https://soundcloud.com/user587361016...-post-audition

Me personally, I'd rather stay on 1.7, or just get my audio from an external recorder instead. But I'll let you be the judge.

Ubstar

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 11:36 pm

darthmikael wrote:

I have recorded in RAW some clips and cant' playback or freeezes
Also I have recorded some clips in Prores 4k and they were playing smoothly before the 1.8 update
After the update even those prores clips can't be played anymore inside the camera.
I have the samsung 840 pro that have passed the tests of the drive utility with read and write 4k
This SSD have a read speed of 540MB/s and a write speed of 520MB/s I know that this is not constant but it have passed the tests
I think there is a problem not concerning the SSD

There is a topic about read and write speeds

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24046
SIGN THE PETITION TO GET BLACKMAGIC TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND FIX THE FPN ISSUE WITH THE PC4K

http://www.change.org/petitions/blackmagic-design-we-want-them-to-acknowledge-and-fix-the-fixed-pattern-noise-issue-with-the-blackmagic-production-camera-4k
Next

Return to Cinematography