Camera Shipping Update: 11/7

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jesuan Soriano

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 11/7

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 3:16 pm

I get your point, AJ but with respect everybody is free to say whatevey they want. and meanwhile the camera is not being manufactured there's nothing else to talk about :)

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

bhook

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Jesuan wrote:meanwhile the camera is not being manufactured there's nothing else to talk about :)

Jesus

Exactly. Shipping is the ONLY subject worth talking about until it actually happens, then we will quit talking about it the next day.

AJ.infinite

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 3:36 pm

mhood wrote:
Jesuan wrote:meanwhile the camera is not being manufactured there's nothing else to talk about :)

Jesus

Exactly. Shipping is the ONLY subject worth talking about until it actually happens, then we will quit talking about it the next day.

The single question everyone wants an answer to since the last update, is after sensors are confirmed good, what should we expect for shipping of both versions: ef, and mft.

@Jesuan

Your right, everybody can say what ever they want, I was just hoping yall could go back and forth in another thread, as this thread is stickied for a reason. Everyone wants to know what happens after the sensors, yet people are using this thread to argue about Sony's capabilities over BMD.

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 3:45 pm

I think the reason the discussions on this forum get so heated and repetitive all the time is that there's much more than frustration at play here. It's like a mixture of frustration due to delays, excitement for before unreachable technology at this price point, nostalgia for film, and many more things. At least that's how I feel: I don't think I was ever this excited for any DSLR camera. The BMCC / shooting RAW video is simply a whole different level of possibilities! I guess once the cameras ship and more people start receiving theirs, this forum will become much more of an "action group" :) Let's not get torn apart before we receive our cameras, I am sure we'll know more about the situation in a few days.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Jesuan Soriano

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Yes! That's it....when camera starts shipping in mass all these threads will be deleted (i hope so) and then we'll be here posting our amazing footage and amazing things we can do with this camera...meanwhile there's only the chance to moan about life and sony :D

I think all the sensors are ok....and they have a low capacity of production and they just want to release a lot of cameras at once so... when they get that number they will ship them.

:D

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 5:39 pm

Taikonaut wrote:Undermine? Seriously BMD is doing a pretty good job at that?

Come one! When we had all those ***** attempt at criticism and BMD apologists making excuses the past few months did Grant bothers to reply giving reasons about the delay? No.

it is hardly a surprise straight talking is needed. Grant and co made 4 replies as soon as I started posting on here. Rubbish? I don't think so but hey I don't expect to be thanked for my effort.

The anonymous "Chinese astronaut" apparently suffers from delusions of grandeur ... thinks the world revolves around him ... an odd perspective for an astronaut when you think about it ... and calling names, too, all the while hiding his real identity ... keeping it classy & big & strong. Good stuff. Cheers.

rawCAM35

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Taikonaut wrote:Simply put BMD is a small company and to date only able to produce small number of equipement for a small clientelle. It does not have the capacity and certainly it appears does not have the managerial experience to manufacture something on a massive scale such as the BMc. Even companies like GoPro has the experience of masss produce and deliver on time.

1- So you have been to BMD and you have an inside look and determined that BMD is a small company
2- You have done marketing research and found out that their clientele is small
3- You have access to BMD data and you found out that the number of equipment they produced is small
4- You took a trip to Australia and visited BMD factories and found out that to be too small for mass production
5- You have a better managerial skills than BMD managers
6- BMD camera and the GoPro are in two different classes
7- You can go to any factory in China ( if you produce a $ 200 camera with a fixed lens) and they will put your name on it, no development, no engineering and no managerial skills are needed, actually you do not have to know the meaning of the words camera or video.

Every other post is yours and it is a carbon copy of the previous one ... go get a job, get a life .... get a GoPro

John Brawley

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 9:37 pm

mhood wrote:Exactly. Shipping is the ONLY subject worth talking about until it actually happens, then we will quit talking about it the next day.

It seems to me cameras are shipping slowly though so it is happening. They are popping up here and there. The big issue is the shipping volumes. Grant's post refers to 3 out of 30 being *good*. Sounds to me like at least those 3 out of 30 are shipping out to customers.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Fran Guidry

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Taikonaut wrote:
Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:... Even companies like GoPro has the experience of masss produce and deliver on time.

Shucks, I had to register just so I could reply to this bit of misinformation. What GoPro product has been delivered on time and funtioning to spec? Certainly not the new Hero3 Black! Certainly not the Wifi app. Certainly not the Wifi Backpack. The Wifi backpack was announced last January. It was delivered in June, except for the little minor detail that it didn't work, and was as likely to brick the camera as to transmit an image. Then there was the Cineform update that wouldn't, the Protune firmware that came 9 months late and bricked the camera, and on and on and on.

And just what manufacturing do you think takes place at GoPro, anyway??

Fran

bhook

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 10:39 pm

John Brawley wrote:
mhood wrote:Exactly. Shipping is the ONLY subject worth talking about until it actually happens, then we will quit talking about it the next day.

It seems to me cameras are shipping slowly though so it is happening. They are popping up here and there. The big issue is the shipping volumes. Grant's post refers to 3 out of 30 being *good*. Sounds to me like at least those 3 out of 30 are shipping out to customers.

jb

Maybe I should have been more specific...When 10 get shipped to Omega in Austin, I'll quit talking about shipping the next day...If Omega is good for their word that is.

:lol:

Bill Rich

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks John.. I really think that BMD has a handle on the sensor glass and will be shipping a lot more cameras soon. It's just too much energy wasted worrying about things you really have no idea about or control over..
so everyone..
take a breath of fresh air.. go out and enjoy the weekend.. fire up the grill and cook something tasty.. listen to live music.. go visit a friend.. kiss a pretty girl.. go see SkyFall..
do something productive..
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Luke Armstrong

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 11:05 pm

Bill Rich wrote:Thanks John.. I really think that BMD has a handle on the sensor glass and will be shipping a lot more cameras soon. It's just too much energy wasted worrying about things you really have no idea about or control over..
so everyone..
take a breath of fresh air.. go out and enjoy the weekend.. fire up the grill and cook something tasty.. listen to live music.. go visit a friend.. kiss a pretty girl.. go see SkyFall..
do something productive..

Yes - go see Skyfall ;)
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

Jesuan Soriano

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 11:42 pm

i hope going next week to see Skyfall!!! And Luke!! What was your work exactly on that movie?? so I can judge it when I see it??
Jesus Soriano

Luke Armstrong

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 1:05 am

Jesuan wrote:i hope going next week to see Skyfall!!! And Luke!! What was your work exactly on that movie?? so I can judge it when I see it??

I'm a little wary of breaking my NDA so I won't go into any detail on what I did exactly as it isn't in the public domain yet. However I can tell you that I worked quite heavily on this scene:

Trailer 3 (clip) http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/sony ... s/skyfall/

I was also involved in the visual effects from 44s to 1:57

It was a lot of fun working on the movie, so I won't be saying any more as I'd love to work on the next one!

AJ.infinite

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 1:33 am

Luke,

World WAR Z looks pretty heavy :) watched the trailer any work you can point out, your doing it pretty big.

Andrew Deme

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 4:20 am

Wonderful stuff to watch, in fact at 3:37 I was thinking....

Duck you camera guys, your gunna get shot !!

cam1

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 9:10 am

Disappointed again ! again! again!

CUT ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luke Armstrong

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 9:46 am

cam1 wrote:Disappointed again ! again! again!

CUT ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christine said the below a few pages back:

Christine Peterson wrote:
Grant Petty wrote:I will let you all know later this week or early next when we get some of these sensors to build cameras with and will know if we can start production full speed again.

We're still expecting to have an update early next week.

Costa Louvieris

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 11:33 am

cam1 wrote:Disappointed again ! again! again!

CUT ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Luke has already mentioned there is an update expected early this coming week. As this is BMD expect early next week to be around LATE next week. Seeing as you have waited this long I would wait until at least Friday for the update. If the update is still more of the same (which expect it to be) then it might be worth then moving on.

Tal Peled

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 12:11 pm

i wish they could have update us , on what full speed manufacture means , and when can we expect to see the EF and The Mft version getting to our hands ?

i for one feeling pretty bad , because i made my decision to preorder my BMCC back in may , and always complained it doesnt have a better suitable mount , and than when they anounced the MFT version
i jumped on it immediately and switched , now i am afraid i am gonna wait until the end of days
because not even the ef model has seriously started to ship , so i am concerned that the MFT version will start to ship only when the ef models would be fulfilled and that would take ages

Jesuan Soriano

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Luke!!!! Amazing you can be involved in those movies!!!!! Keep up your work man!!!! And don't worry bout your NDA contract!!! Just asking!!! :)

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Nick Bedford

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

I hope that:

A) My particular unit gets to me at least before 2013.

Or

B) Some other camera comes out and I abandon this nonsense.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Joe Gonzalez

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 8:29 pm

Nick Bedford wrote:I hope that:

Or

Nick i checked out your stuff. Good photography. What's the hurry for you to get this particular camera? Doesn't your full frame suit your work now?
Joe Gonzalez - Filmmaker/Photographer/Editor
www.thenewcinematographers.com

Nick Bedford

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 8:45 pm

Joe_g wrote:

Or

Nick i checked out your stuff. Good photography. What's the hurry for you to get this particular camera? Doesn't your full frame suit your work now?

I shot that music video on it and it was good to learn on but honestly I don't like shooting into a muddy, not-even-720p DSLR. The camera itself is amazing for raw stills, sucky for video.

I want the BMCC simply to shoot things with besides using it obviously on projects (music videos for now). I see beautiful scenery here and there and I know (from shooting with one) that the 5D III would make the image muddy and soft and would blow highlights and crush shadows. Every time I have to use it, I'm disappointed with just how mediocre the image quality is in the H.264 files.

I actually can't be bothered shooting with it knowing what the BMCC is capable of in pure sharpness and DR.

That being said, I shouldn't have to justify my desire to shoot on the BMCC (or other not-DSLR). I ordered on May 30th.

Luke Armstrong

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Nick Bedford wrote:
Joe_g wrote:

Or

I shot that music video on it and it was good to learn on but honestly I don't like shooting into a muddy, not-even-720p DSLR. The camera itself is amazing for raw stills, sucky for video.

I want the BMCC simply to shoot things with besides using it obviously on projects (music videos for now). I see beautiful scenery here and there and I know (from shooting with one) that the 5D III would make the image muddy and soft and would blow highlights and crush shadows. Every time I have to use it, I'm disappointed with just how mediocre the image quality is in the H.264 files.

I actually can't be bothered shooting with it knowing what the BMCC is capable of in pure sharpness and DR.

That being said, I shouldn't have to justify my desire to shoot on the BMCC (or other not-DSLR). I ordered on May 30th.

I agree that the DSLR is less than ideal for shooting quality video - I've never been a fan, preffering to use DOF adapters and other cameras...

However, I just DP'd a couple of shoots, one today at Pinewood which was shot on a 660D...

Pleasantly suprised with the results. Some links to stills below:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2697975/Smile% ... 737%29.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2697975/Smile% ... 237%29.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2697975/Smile% ... 228%29.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2697975/Smile% ... 977%29.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2697975/Smile% ... 229%29.jpg

I used the Technicolor Cinestyle profile which creates a pseudo a log image. It definitely helps preserve some DR. Even so, the image definition is a little soft for me. Its worth a try if you don't already use it and want to get out there and shoot whilst waiting on your BMCC.

dennysb

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Luke Armstrong wrote:
Jesuan wrote:i hope going next week to see Skyfall!!! And Luke!! What was your work exactly on that movie?? so I can judge it when I see it??

I'm a little wary of breaking my NDA so I won't go into any detail on what I did exactly as it isn't in the public domain yet. However I can tell you that I worked quite heavily on this scene:

Trailer 3 (clip) http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/sony ... s/skyfall/

I was also involved in the visual effects from 44s to 1:57

It was a lot of fun working on the movie, so I won't be saying any more as I'd love to work on the next one!

It sure looks like fun! :)

dennysb

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 9:28 pm

I agree that the DSLR is less than ideal for shooting quality video - I've never been a fan, preffering to use DOF adapters and other cameras...

However, I just DP'd a couple of shoots, one today at Pinewood which was shot on a 660D...

I used the Technicolor Cinestyle profile which creates a pseudo a log image. It definitely helps preserve some DR. Even so, the image definition is a little soft for me. Its worth a try if you don't already use it and want to get out there and shoot whilst waiting on your BMCC.

I hate to make assumptions but from the few images above, I take this is not a romantic comedy? ;)

Nick Bedford

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 9:39 pm

Luke Armstrong wrote:I agree that the DSLR is less than ideal for shooting quality video - I've never been a fan, preffering to use DOF adapters and other cameras...

Yeah, I'm not saying you can't do things with them and get jobs done with relative success. I just personally don't like the results on the big screen, especially when I see what the BMCC captures and the fact that we've all had to basically throw out the idea of shooting with one anytime soon.

If it comes to it, I probably would just use the DSLR if I wasn't budgeted for a proper camera, but again, I'd finish in 720p because the 5D's stunning 22mp sensor can't save it from its crippling video subsystem and not to mention Canon's HDMI update is all the way forward in April.

It's my personal tastes and the video I get out of it continually disappoints me.

I shot some video in 1080p at something like f/16 ISO 100, correct white balance, moderate picture profile and the resulting image in full resolution looked relatively horrible. I'm used to sharp raw files with lots of latitude. I can't get away from compressed DSLR video fast enough.

Just me being frustrated and ranting a bit.

dennysb

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 9:57 pm

Well it finally happen.... I went to the dark side ;) and purchase a Scarlet package. I will be canceling my BMCC order and later next year, maybe get one as camera B. I was a late BMCC order so I don't think my exit will help anyone :)

I am of course still a big fan/user of resolve, so my ties are still strong with BM.

thejasonbee

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 10:39 pm

I finally ordered mine just last week (had to make sure I had the money ready just in case). I'm pretty screwed, I know. :o

Ryan McCarvill

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 11:45 pm

My local retailer are saying that BMD is only weeks away from fulfilling all of their orders.

Seems like they have started shipping them.

bhook

PostSun Nov 11, 2012 11:53 pm

disordinary wrote:My local retailer are saying that BMD is only weeks away from fulfilling all of their orders.

What a wonderful update that would be. ;)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 12:11 am

disordinary wrote:My local retailer are saying that BMD is only weeks away from fulfilling all of their orders. Seems like they have started shipping them.

Attention BMD: Apparently something is wrong with this forum software. Posts I submitted months ago are now re-appearing, and with someone else's forum name.

:lol:

Joking! (Maybe.)

Here's hoping ...

-

Eric Santiago

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 3:09 am

disordinary wrote:My local retailer are saying that BMD is only weeks away from fulfilling all of their orders.

More info as to where you are please.

Joe Gonzalez

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 4:49 am

Nick Bedford wrote:
Joe_g wrote:

Or

Wasn't asking you to justify anything. I just saw you are a photographer, checked out your photography site and was curious to what was lacking with your Mark3 for your video. Since you have only one example I just assumed you were starting to shoot video. I assumed wrong. From what you said Dynamic range is holding you back from shooting any video and you can't be bothered shooting with your Canon. It all makes sense now.
Joe Gonzalez - Filmmaker/Photographer/Editor
www.thenewcinematographers.com

Ryan McCarvill

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 5:03 am

Eric Santiago wrote:

More info as to where you are please.

New Zealand, they started the sentence by saying "Believe it or not" so they know to be as skeptical as the rest of us, but it seems as though Blackmagic are bullish.

Nick Bedford

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 6:46 am

Joe_g wrote:
Nick Bedford wrote:Wasn't asking you to justify anything. I just saw you are a photographer, checked out your photography site and was curious to what was lacking with your Mark3 for your video. Since you have only one example I just assumed you were starting to shoot video. I assumed wrong. From what you said Dynamic range is holding you back from shooting any video and you can't be bothered shooting with your Canon. It all makes sense now.

I'm used to processing 22mp raw stills. Baked 4:2:0 barely 720p image with reduced DR and compression artefacts isn't as appealing to me to use in serious personal projects.

And while I've been waiting for my BMCC, I've been studying cinematography a lot and finishing (finished) my first music video. It gave me the experience shooting and grading with the camera to realise I don't like the video out of it for anything else I'm passionate to shoot. That's all.

Andrew Deme

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 9:23 am

Nick....2:57 is a highlight, lighting is really well done and can see in your stills photo's this is a talent of yours.

Also like the drummer, he is cool !!

Nick Bedford

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 10:43 am

Andrew Deme wrote:Nick....2:57 is a highlight, lighting is really well done and can see in your stills photo's this is a talent of yours.

Also like the drummer, he is cool !!

Thanks Andrew! Yeah drummer put on a great performance! He's like that live which is awesome :)

wcapps1

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 3:41 pm

OK, it is early next week. We were promised an update. Can we get one and find out what is going on?
Wayne Capps
Reserve Productions
www.ReserveProductions.com

Costa Louvieris

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 3:46 pm

wcapps1 wrote:OK, it is early next week. We were promised an update. Can we get one and find out what is going on?

To be fair to BMD, they have until close of business tomorrow to be within the "early next week" deadline. Although I am still expecting them to miss this.

RobertGreenberg

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 4:05 pm

HI All,

G&G has ONE camera in stock for sale. First come. The price is $2995.00 Free Shipping.

http://www.ggvideo.com/bm_cinemacamera.php

Robert Greenberg
G&G Technologies Inc.
201 791 1400
800 422 2920

Good Luck.

Sorry Sold.
Last edited by RobertGreenberg on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Costa Louvieris

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 4:08 pm

RobertGreenberg wrote:HI All,

G&G has ONE camera in stock for sale. First come. The price is $2995.00 Free Shipping.

Robert Greenberg
G&G Technologies Inc.
201 791 1400
800 422 2920

Good Luck.

No thanks

bhook

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Robert Greenberg
G&G Technologies Inc.
201 791 1400
800 422 2920

Good Luck.

It's just my opinion but I find it insulting to anyone who has preordered and/or prepaid for a BMC to still be w8ing while any dealer anywhere is getting a BMC to sell over the counter. Isn't this obviously wrong?

wcapps1

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 4:14 pm

Robert Greenberg
G&G Technologies Inc.
201 791 1400
800 422 2920

Good Luck.

Sorry Sold.

Got it!!!! I preordered with B&H a while back and will cancel that order as soon as this one comes in, just to make sure It actually happens! The guy said the post was up 12 seconds when I called so I just checked this forum at the right time!
Wayne Capps
Reserve Productions

Eric Santiago

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 4:14 pm

mhood wrote:It's just my opinion but I find it insulting to anyone who has preordered and/or prepaid for a BMC to still be w8ing while any dealer anywhere is getting a BMC to sell over the counter. Isn't this obviously wrong?

I tried to post the same prior but the site kicked me out for some weird reason.

I dont get how this works with the pre-orders.

What if I just went and bought that?

Sure I would have one but the principal...

Eric Santiago

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 4:16 pm

wcapps1 wrote:Got it!!!! I preordered with B&H a while back and will cancel that order as soon as this one comes in, just to make sure It actually happens! The guy said the post was up 12 seconds when I called so I just checked this forum at the right time!

Good for you, please tell us if you did receive this.

I would feel bad if this was a scam to get you in their queue.

No disrespect Robert but of late, things have been wonky with this camera in all sorts :P

Sam Meyer

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Robert Greenberg
G&G Technologies Inc.
201 791 1400
800 422 2920

Good Luck.

Sorry Sold.

What a Joke.
Sam Meyer

wcapps1

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 4:35 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:
wcapps1 wrote:Got it!!!! I preordered with B&H a while back and will cancel that order as soon as this one comes in, just to make sure It actually happens! The guy said the post was up 12 seconds when I called so I just checked this forum at the right time!

Good for you, please tell us if you did receive this.

I would feel bad if this was a scam to get you in their queue.

No disrespect Robert but of late, things have been wonky with this camera in all sorts :P

Will do, it should be in this week and I will let you know how things go. Going to wait on this one before I cancel the preorder.
Wayne Capps
Reserve Productions

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 4:53 pm

mhood wrote:

Robert Greenberg
G&G Technologies Inc.
201 791 1400
800 422 2920

Good Luck.

It's just my opinion but I find it insulting to anyone who has preordered and/or prepaid for a BMC to still be w8ing while any dealer anywhere is getting a BMC to sell over the counter. Isn't this obviously wrong?

I would be seriously suprised if BMD had much knowledge of pre-order lists anywhere. They will have orders from the resellers.

Doesnt make it kosher, and the retailer may be pulling a fast one, but unlike the continual delays not sure BMD can be pulled up on this one.

A bit more info from either side would be nice here. How many did the company recieve (prob need to come form the reseller then be confirmed by BM), have they ever taken any pre-orders, do they even accept them, have they lost any, have they fufiled any.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography