60 frames

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

shub

60 frames

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 7:22 pm

When will they come out with the ability for 60 frames with the cinema camera????

Jesuan Soriano

Re: 60 frames

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 8:12 pm

man!!! the camera isn't even being manufactured.... relax man!!! relax!!! :D
Jesus
Jesus Soriano

PaulDelVecchio

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 8:30 pm

shub wrote:When will they come out with the ability for 60 frames with the cinema camera????

That's not even a confirmed feature. They said they MIGHT be able to do it with ProRes but not RAW. They know we want it, but haven't confirmed if they will put it in there or if it's even possible. They know we want it and I have a feeling that if they are able to do it, they will.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Lorenzo Straight

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 8:39 am

Just skipped right over 48fps huh :lol: No more than a firmware update I would guess. We'll get it, just like our favorite DSLR's have it. In ProRes most likely, which is not bad at all. But first, let's get our hands on the little suckers and learn it's body language.
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 1:13 pm

Lorenzo Straight wrote:Just skipped right over 48fps huh :lol: No more than a firmware update I would guess. We'll get it, just like our favorite DSLR's have it. In ProRes most likely, which is not bad at all. But first, let's get our hands on the little suckers and learn it's body language.

48fps in RAW, 60fps in ProRes would be great :) (or whatever is possible)
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

shub

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 6:15 pm

Yes I know that its still in manufacturing however the stuff I have seen on this makes it a great camera. Having said that it would be great to match the great quality with the ability to do outstanding slow mo.
I agree with one of the post's that its a firmware thing more than a major retro fit. If we say something now they are a great company about listening.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 8:14 pm

shub wrote:When will they come out with the ability for 60 frames with the cinema camera????

See:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=265

-

John Brawley

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 9:22 pm

I'd love to be proved wrong, but BMD have pretty consistently told me that getting higher frame rates out of the camera is a very big deal.

The whole camera system is designed to max out at 30 FPS. Even if the sensor can do it, theres the CPU, the data pipeline, the cooling and power.

It's not just a simple firmware switch that can be flicked.

I'd expect to see higher frames on a new model of camera down the road before we get significant frame rate increases from this camera.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Soeren Mueller

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 10:14 pm

John Brawley wrote:I'd love to be proved wrong, but BMD have pretty consistently told me that getting higher frame rates out of the camera is a very big deal.

The whole camera system is designed to max out at 30 FPS. Even if the sensor can do it, theres the CPU, the data pipeline, the cooling and power.

It's not just a simple firmware switch that can be flicked.

That's what I thought so far. However.. John have you ever heard them talking about the possiblity of "pixel binning"? Some sensors allow for that so you get a little lower resolution but still use the same sensor area... so with higher fps it should be roughly the same data throughput as with 30fps and full res.

Of course even then it would still be a lot of work to implement...

Return to Cinematography