Best 7-inch Field Monitor?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Gary Cook

Best 7-inch Field Monitor?

PostThu Jul 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Hey there,

Replacing our old lilliput with an SDI compatible one ... who's been using what with the 4K?

SDI at 24p is the only requirement. But 2.35 bars would be nice.

Ideally with Amazon links!

Gabriele Vinci

Re: Best 7-inch Field Monitor?

PostThu Jul 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Hello!

I've bought a lilliput (look on Amazon "lilliput 7 663/IPS"). It has a SDI input and works very well with my BMCC (i suppose that works with the 4K too but I can't test it).

It's a good and cheap monitor but, If I had tested it before I'd go for a smaller monitor (5"), The 7" is big and heavy and if you attach it to your camera body or tripod and will change the balancing of any setup creating wobbles movements.

Indeed, the contrast of this monitor is better of the internal monitor but not usable in very sunny days so I would invest more in a good monitor with higher contrast.

After using my Lilliput I've ended choosing to buy an Alphatron EVF with retina screen. It has the SDI loop function so I use the EVF to point and the DP uses the Lilliput.

I hope that this helps!

Bests,

Gabriele

Juan Celestino

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 2:52 am

Hi, i utilize the post for answer and i hope that help you brambletine.
I was reading greats coments from the small HD dp7 and was thinking about buying it, but it's really expensive, what do you say, it si worth to buy it or not. Another opcion is ac7 sdi but it don't have real-time luts function and i think that is a great function. This monitor is quite cheeper. So, what do you say dp7, ac7 or another one?
act-sdi $900
dp7 $1400
I will travel to Ny (i'm from Argentina) to buy, camera (BMPC 4k), monitor, battery and ssd. I will use mostly for corporate videos and comercial spots.

Thanks!
Juan.
(i'm sorry about my english)

Scott Stacy

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 3:50 am

One word: SmallHD
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

Terry O Leary

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 7:45 am

We rock the AC7 SDI here, its fantastic, I'd have opted for the DP7 but it's rather expensive. I have nothing but love for smallhd, their products, at least for me, have always been fantastic

CJ Ricottone

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 3:38 pm

are you finding that all the functions are working correctly with your camera?

i have the bmpc4k. just wondering if false color, focus peaking zebras and all scopes are functioning properly?

Scott Stacy

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 3:57 pm

CJ Ricottone wrote:are you finding that all the functions are working correctly with your camera?

i have the bmpc4k. just wondering if false color, focus peaking zebras and all scopes are functioning properly?

I have the AC7 OLED and it works flawlessly on my BMPC4K. However, if I could redo my purchase, I would buy the DP7 OLED or the DP7 High Bright because those have LUT capacity and many added features.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

CJ Ricottone

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Scott Stacy wrote:I have the AC7 OLED and it works flawlessly on my BMPC4K. However, if I could redo my purchase, I would buy the DP7 OLED or the DP7 High Bright because those have LUT capacity and many added features.

ya, most people seem to be saying that.

i guess my question is, are all the functions working properly on the dp7 series? i've read on bmcuser that the focus peaking, false color and zebras aren't functioning correctly when in film or raw mode. can anybody confirm this? i generally shoot in film/log mode and that would be a deal breaker for me.

Nick Vega

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 6:08 pm

7" 3G SDI Marshall

http://vimeo.com/nickvega

Scott Pultz

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 7:24 pm

Nick how do you like using the Marshall outdoors? Looks really reflective...

Nick Vega

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 8:37 pm

Scott P wrote:Nick how do you like using the Marshall outdoors? Looks really reflective...

Hey Scott, haven't had any issues with it in daylight. It's a lot less reflective than the screen on a blackmagic cam. The angle of that picture might make things seem to be more reflective than they are. I also bought the sun hood for it, but only used it once, when I was shooting at high noon in the Everglades. That really needed the hood!

Monitor can be set to a really high brightness which helps a lot. Zero problems indoors, a given of course.
http://vimeo.com/nickvega

Junior Rodrigues

PostMon Jul 21, 2014 3:31 am

Scott Stacy wrote:One word: SmallHD

Odyssey 7Q! :mrgreen:

Jayson Rahmlow

PostMon Jul 21, 2014 7:21 am

Can't recommend the SmallHD dp7-pro highly enough. Been using it for 6 weeks now. As far as I know its the only monitor that let's u load your own luts. Its completely improved the images I'm getting out of my Bmcc. Plus makes working with flat files easier to hand off to clients u just send them home with the lut and they can apply it to all the footage in their editor. :D
Jayson Rahmlow
Applejackfilms.com
Los Angeles

Return to Cinematography