My first short film with the BMCC! IMPROVED

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Benton Collins

My first short film with the BMCC! IMPROVED

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 9:46 pm

I could not let Halloween 2012 pass by without giving my new BMCC a spin! Shot at ISO 800 in 2.5k RAW with a Nikon 28mm 2.8 AIS lens mostly wide open to f4. A battery fed LED panel was also used.

The Beautiful Crazy:

Biggest lessson learned: I should have used a tripod! (or stabilized lens) I used a target shooter style rig, but it was just not enough.

I just uploaded a new colorgraded and better output (from ProRes4444) version that I'm pretty sure looks better than what I had previously posted. Please let me know if you can see a difference. Thanks! Benton
Last edited by Benton Collins on Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soeren Mueller

Re: My first short film with the BMCC!

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 10:07 pm

Looks really nice, I didn't find it too shaky at all! Seems it was quite a large LED panel, right?

Lovely image/colors/DR the BMC has when handled correctly :)

Kent Nichols

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 10:18 pm

Fun! The skin tones!
askaninja.com

Dave Dominguez

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 10:34 pm

good stuff.
https://vimeo.com/daviddominguez

bhook

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 11:18 pm

Very nice. How did you get your audio?

Benton Collins

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Soeren Mueller wrote:Looks really nice, I didn't find it too shaky at all! Seems it was quite a large LED panel, right?

I had to use the Warp Stabilize feature in CS6. It's a great band aid but is no substitute for steady footage to begin with. One down side in using Warp Stabilize is that it does not work on RAW files, only 1080p files. So after the stabilization is complete, some amount of cropping is done to hide the shaky edges that remain. This effectivly throws away resolution. I hope that Adobe will add dng.RAW support to Preimere at some point.

The LED panel has 876 LEDs and is 16"x9". I placed a 20"X20" soft box on the light to soften it up.

Benton Collins

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 11:48 pm

mhood wrote:Very nice. How did you get your audio?

Thanks Marc. Built in mic. At the time I did'nt have the adapters/cables I needed for my Senhieser ME66 shotgun.

Kent Nichols

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 12:08 am

Interesting. Would IS have helped?
askaninja.com

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 12:40 am

Kent Nichols wrote:Interesting. Would IS have helped?

Probably, and Benton mentions this in his 1st post. (He didn't use a IS lens.)

Nice work, Benton, and thanks so much for sharing it.

If you have time, I'd love to see a short clip shot in ProRes "Video" mode (not "Film") @ 800 ISO in natural daylight (and on a tripod), with skin @ 75% zebras. I don't believe I've seen this particular combination yet myself (but I could be mistaken).

Cheers!

Bill Rich

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 1:33 am

Thanks for posting this Benton.. the in-camera audio is a bit better than I thought.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

bhook

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 1:57 am

Bill Rich wrote:Thanks for posting this Benton.. the in-camera audio is a bit better than I thought.

Much. I was quite surprised to hear that.

Dave Chin

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 3:41 am

the only downside to the in-cam audio is the lack of isolation. it picks up every sound of the finger on the follow focus and the lens hitting its max/min stops and on some lenses, the iris 'click' as it opens or closes. there is also an annoying 'pop' about 2 frames into the start of the clip as well.

don't get me wrong, it's far better than, say, the in-built mic in a 5d. but once i stuck my NTG2 in an isolator and use the audio meter in the EVF, it's so much better.
currently enjoying my BMPCC & BMCC in Singapore.

John Brawley

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 5:08 am

Dave Chin wrote:the only downside to the in-cam audio is the lack of isolation. it picks up every sound of the finger on the follow focus and the lens hitting its max/min stops and on some lenses, the iris 'click' as it opens or closes. there is also an annoying 'pop' about 2 frames into the start of the clip as well.

don't get me wrong, it's far better than, say, the in-built mic in a 5d. but once i stuck my NTG2 in an isolator and use the audio meter in the EVF, it's so much better.

It's also located right next to the cooling fan on the bottom of the camera.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Lorenzo Straight

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 5:48 am

Nice footage. I didn't notice big problems with this handheld footage, which means it wasn't that bad. Nice Res & Skin tones.
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

Dave Chin

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 8:21 am

John Brawley wrote:It's also located right next to the cooling fan on the bottom of the camera.

jb

ah... that explains the 'hum'... :lol:
currently enjoying my BMPCC & BMCC in Singapore.

Jesuan Soriano

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 11:57 am

John Brawley wrote:
Dave Chin wrote:the only downside to the in-cam audio is the lack of isolation. it picks up every sound of the finger on the follow focus and the lens hitting its max/min stops and on some lenses, the iris 'click' as it opens or closes. there is also an annoying 'pop' about 2 frames into the start of the clip as well.

jb

And there was not another place to put the mic.... I mean directly pointing to the fan :D
It sounds better than I though...and images look great really awesome. It has that 16 mm look that I really like!!! And though it's not shaky footage I can detect some postproduction stabilization artifacts :D

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Michael Sandiford

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Downloaded the original and played it on 52inch tv. Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing. The filmic quality of this camera still blows me away.

Andrew Deme

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 1:12 pm

Absolutely marvellous and the camera loves people......

By the way, if you know someone with Adobe Audition....you can easily remove the hum.

Nice vid, is like every frame is a high quality stills photo, just love it.

Andrew Deme

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 1:16 pm

The audio meter in the EVF is a good idea.....thanks for the reminder.

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 3:00 pm

John Brawley wrote:

jb

Argh.. I wonder how a bottom mounted Switronix PB70-BMCC will affect the mic. :oops:
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 5:26 pm

cschmeer wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

jb

Argh.. I wonder how a bottom mounted Switronix PB70-BMCC will affect the mic. :oops:

If you're asking if the mic (or fan vents) are blocked when mounted on a tripod or other flat mounting plate: No, they aren't.

The BMCC bottom mounting surface is designed so it protrudes out slightly from the rest of the bottom of the camera, so the vents & mic aren't blocked. See attached photos.

bmcc bottom 1.jpg
bmcc bottom 1.jpg (35.29 KiB) Viewed 6153 times

bmcc bottom 2.jpg
bmcc bottom 2.jpg (55.89 KiB) Viewed 6153 times

Return to Cinematography