macro lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

C A R

macro lenses

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 5:20 pm

i'm hoping that someone with macro experience might want to weigh in with thoughts/recommendations for lenses for use with the bmcc's smaller sensor. i've shot quite a bit on canon's crop and full frame sensors with various lenses - 100mm macro, mp-e 65mm 1-5x macro, and rokinon 85mm with macro extenders (sample clips in my signature). the 1-5x is great, but i rarely need more than 1x and am assuming it'll be even more microscope-like on the smaller sensor. i love the rokinon/extender combo (being able to shoot at 1.4 is a huge plus), but chromatic abberations are definitely more noticeable the more extenders i stack and will be even more noticeable with the smaller sensor.

the 100mm looks like the best choice, but if we have the option of ef-s lenses plus a multitude of other lenses via adaptors, i'm thinking there might be better options out there. variable magnification is a huge plus but as i mentioned, i'm worried the mp-e might be too much. i'd prefer a range of about 0.5-2x magnification.
strongforthefuture.com | @scntfc | https://vimeo.com/48374201

Return to Cinematography