BMPCC Stock Levels after 50% sale

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Benton Collins

Is The Pocket Camera Sale Over?

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 2:37 am

I noticed that BM no longer has the $495price listed on their web site. I assume this special pricing is over? Can someone from BM confirm this? Also, will orders placed for this camera at this price be honored? I certainly hope so, I placed my order on July 16th, the day it was announced with G&G Technologies, an authorized dealer in New Jersey. I have since bought a lens, adapter, batteries and a filter all based on receiving this camera. Please come through BM, I'm counting on you!!

Timothy Montoya

Re: Is The Pocket Camera Sale Over?

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 2:51 am

I believe the sale was until stock ran out, which it looks like it might have

rick.lang

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 3:51 am

Benton wrote:I noticed that BM no longer has the $495price listed on their web site. I assume this special pricing is over? Can someone from BM confirm this? Also, will orders placed for this camera at this price be honored? I certainly hope so, I placed my order on July 16th, the day it was announced with G&G Technologies, an authorized dealer in New Jersey. I have since bought a lens, adapter, batteries and a filter all based on receiving this camera. Please come through BM, I'm counting on you!!

If your supplier placed their order before the sale ended, you get the camera at the sale price. You certainly can talk to your supplier about that if you need confirmation.
Rick Lang

Adam Simmons

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 6:39 am

From what we heard some resellers bought up huge quantities of stock which is why from the BM side it's ended, but a lot of that stock is still in the chain and over here the UK distributors were still honoring any orders we put through before the end of Tuesday 22nd, so I'd be surprised if you didn't get yours unless your reseller didn't order enough to cover the orders they already had.
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Benton Collins

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 7:02 am

I'm sure I'm covered as I'm on the top of the list from my dealer who had placed an order for 10 units when the deal was announced. But knowing Black Magic's notorious supply and delivery record made me slightly less comfortable, especially when they said the sale was dependent on availability.

Terry O Leary

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 7:07 am

Was talking to a reseller here in Ireland, any orders placed before the recent price hike will be honoured at the lower price point(which is good as I have another one ordered and paid for), however the units won't actually ship out to customers until late August due to massive supply issues.

From their communications with suppliers & BM apparently any new orders placed since the price hike will unfortunately have to pay the original price.

Was told this yesterday, whether it's all 100% legit I'm not sure but it would make sense going by what we are seeing in shops/online.

Willem Timmersma

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 9:37 am

I've also heared the amount of pocket camera's for this sale are sold by dealers. I bought my pocket cam via videobewerken in the netherlands. But still didn't received one. They never answered my questions on mail either.

Bought it on the 16th.

Adam Simmons

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 11:08 am

This is normally the case, BM sell to distributors who then sell to retailers/resellers who then sell to the public. Some big resellers that order thousands of units may deal direct with BM, but BM don't normally sell direct to the public
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

Craig Seeman

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 11:20 am

The RedShark article might explain some
http://www.redsharknews.com/business/it ... -cancelled

Jay Soriano

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 12:57 pm

BHPhoto and Adorama still have it at $495...and Adorama specifically states, "
Please note: Due to high demand this item is currently on back order. Order now to lock in the 50% off price and it will ship as soon as it arrives. Your card will not be charged until it ships."
2015 15" Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz i7
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
FCPX/DaVinci Resolve Studio
Akitio Thunder2 Quad Mini
Envoy Pro EX

Mac Jaeger

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 2:16 pm

For some vendors, the sale is over - because their distributor has depleted his alotted number of reduced price cameras. Other distributors may still have a number of cameras left, so vendors can still order reduced price cameras there. It may take a while though, until the cameras are actually delivered.

Richard Carlson

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 10:42 pm

One local shop never had the BMPCC on "offer" but they do have a limited amount available mid August for $A799 !

http://www.leedervillecameras.com.au/products/%7Bcat_url%7D/blackmagic-design-pocket-cinema-camera-ultra-kit

I can't decide if I am cynical at the motives or whether this will be the new retail price!
Richard Carlson
BMPCC, BMPCC 4K
GH3,GH4,A7S,6D,LX100

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 6:43 am

I wonder if this "blow out" means that there might be an updated version of the Pocket Camera coming out soon. Seems like they're trying to get rid of what they've got in stock.

Lee Gauthier

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 9:28 am

Corrupt Frame, Inc. wrote:I wonder if this "blow out" means that there might be an updated version of the Pocket Camera coming out soon. Seems like they're trying to get rid of what they've got in stock.

Photokina 2014 is coming up...

Christian Horne

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 10:45 am

I received this E-mail today from CVP UK

Blackmagic Design announced last week that the Summer Special was ending with immediate effect, however I can confirm that orders for additional stock we placed with them just prior to their announcement will be fulfilled at the Sale price. Consequently, you should receive yours at the Sale price if you proceed with your purchase. I will get our Web Order team to confirm this to you.

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 2:05 pm

I thought official word from Blackmagic was "August 31."
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Christian Horne

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 2:58 pm

It's called, "Making it up as you go along" ;)

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Jason R. Johnston wrote:I thought official word from Blackmagic was "August 31."

Jason, I think BMD also included the usual disclaimer, while supplies last or subject to availability.

Who knows how many cameras they thought they would sell, but my bet is they underestimated demand yet they are still honouring all retailers orders placed while the sale was active. The fact that people have been told their cameras may be delivered in late August or early September also means these may not even be cameras they had in stock and are to be built in August. It seem that the largest retailers very quickly placed their orders in excess of consumer demand in anticipation of continued demand at that amazing price point.

I know I was one of those conjecturing that the sale could be to generate buzz, clear inventory that wasn't selling well or before a new model announced in September. All of those reasons may be true, but regardless of motivation, the benefit to the consumer is evident as apparently BMD is making good on all orders even knowing actual demand likely exceeded expectations.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 7:29 pm

I really hope that if there is a new model coming that they keep a similar sensor size, being that a whole bunch of us are spending nearly $700 on EF Speedboosters...

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 8:49 pm

rick.lang wrote:It seem that the largest retailers very quickly placed their orders in excess of consumer demand in anticipation of continued demand at that amazing price point.

So, order yours now from B&H or Adorama while they're still honoring the $495 price! :D My play money doesn't come in until August ~22, so I can only hope! lol

Thomas Schumacher

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 9:31 pm

Corrupt Frame, Inc. wrote:I really hope that if there is a new model coming that they keep a similar sensor size, being that a whole bunch of us are spending nearly $700 on EF Speedboosters...

I hope the BMPCC V.1 doesn't stop working then! ;)
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

rick.lang

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 2:10 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:
rick.lang wrote:It seem that the largest retailers very quickly placed their orders in excess of consumer demand in anticipation of continued demand at that amazing price point.

So, order yours now from B&H or Adorama while they're still honoring the $495 price! :D My play money doesn't come in until August ~22, so I can only hope! lol

You should be safe ordering in the next week or so from the big NYC retailers if they are not expecting to deliver the camera to customers for a month. Adorama won't charge you until the camera ships to you.

Appreciate the sage advice! Sadly my 'play' money has evaporated this year due to other commitments to family (three computers and financing a log home restoration) that I made earlier this year. Hopefully next year will be different.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Jason R. Johnston

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 3:56 am

rick.lang wrote:
Jason R. Johnston wrote:

You should be safe ordering in the next week or so from the big NYC retailers if they are not expecting to deliver the camera to customers for a month. Adorama won't charge you until the camera ships to you.

Appreciate the sage advice! Sadly my 'play' money has evaporated this year due to other commitments to family (three computers and financing a log home restoration) that I made earlier this year. Hopefully next year will be different.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

Please tell me you'll be shooting video of this log home restoration. That sounds both exciting and beautiful!

Chris Leutger

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 5:19 am

I ordered from B&H within 48 hours of the announcement but haven't heard a word. I've been scared to buy extras (speedbooster, hyperdeck etc) until I get some sort of shipping date. The unfortunate part is that I was hoping to take this to Detroit in September for a project that I'm working on there but considering how many sold now I'm concerned that I'm not going to get it in time. Which kind of sucks but I should of jumped on it that morning when they still had 'em in stock. Stupid, I know...sigh...
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Dave Perry

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 12:37 pm

I ordered mine from B&H within hours of the announcement and by the end of the day they were back ordered.
S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
524 N. Normandie Ave. Unit 2
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

David Regenthal

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 6:53 am

Ordered early (day of announcement), BH website said ships in 2-4 days (when I placed the order).
Next day it was 2-4 weeks. I called and inquired, got the usual answer.
Cancelled the entire order...did not want to go through that again.
Ikan battery setup could not be canceled (as stated on BH website).
I am sure it will come in handy for something somewhere down the road.

My guess (which is as worthless as any other):

V2 is coming.
Clearing the decks is a standard business practice when new product is forthcoming.
Response to discount price on the units in the pipeline exceeded all expectations so they ended the deal early so to avoid dealing with as many complaints from the just bought but "gee, if only I had known" bunch that's going to be mad when a new version is announced.

I'd have been happy with one at the price, even though I don't need it (but have a lot of lens options).
I'll be just as happy with V2 whenever it delivers . . . the pocket is a winner in any configuration.
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 5:10 pm

There seems to be some confusion on this so let me see if I can shed some light on this for you folks.

The press release stated that the sale was subject to limited availability, and we have allocated all the units available at the sale price to our resellers. Cameras at the sale price will remain available from resellers, as long as those resellers have remaining allocated sales inventory.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Kays Alatrakchi

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 5:40 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:The press release stated that the sale was subject to limited availability, and we have allocated all the units available at the sale price to our resellers. Cameras at the sale price will remain available from resellers, as long as those resellers have remaining allocated sales inventory.

So in other words...if you haven't gotten one yet, chances are you're S.O.L. :evil:
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

PaulDelVecchio

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 5:54 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:
So in other words...if you haven't gotten one yet, chances are you're S.O.L. :evil:

It's still listed as on sale at some retailers so no, your not SOL. If the retailer's site lists it for that price, I'm sure they're still honoring the sale price and have available units.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Benton Collins

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 6:09 pm

My dealer G&G technologies emailed me yesterday and told me that BM had told them that they were getting a delivery of the pockets today or Thursday. I should receive mine on Friday or Monday. If your dealer place a confirmed order with BM at the sale price, you will receive the camera at the sale price. However, now that all the cameras have been allocated (this does not mean in stock) I wonder if the dealers are obligated to sell the allocated sale cameras at the sale prices for any orders that are placed now?

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 6:21 pm

Benton, if a retailer took an order for the camera from a consumer at the sale price but advised you it is back ordered, as long as the retailer had previously submitted an order to BMD before the sale expired, BMD will provide the camera to the retailer at the sale price. If a consumer came in today hoping to get the sale price, and the retailer did not have surplus outstanding orders already with BMD at the sale price, then the consumer will be paying the full price.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Pat Lance

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks for the clarification Tony. Is there an ETA on shipments to those resellers? B&H has no time frame from BM according to my conversation with them today.

Thanks!

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 9:27 pm

Pat Lance wrote:Thanks for the clarification Tony. Is there an ETA on shipments to those resellers? B&H has no time frame from BM according to my conversation with them today.

Thanks!

This is something worked out on the distribution end which I have no knowledge on at this time.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

James Falsken

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 2:16 am

I just placed order with B&H Photo today 7/31/2014. Invoice states usually ships in 4-6 weeks.

Abe Loftis

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 4:18 am

I jumped on one the other day from B&H, they still have them listed at 495 withe a 4-6 week wait. My second pocket, couldn't resist after all the new firmware.

Matthias Schmidt

PostTue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 am

I´m pretty disappointed right now.
My dealer here in Germany had the Pocket listed for delivery in "2 weeks", when I ordered it at 24th of July. So last week it counted down one day every day ´til yesterday to "2 days".

This morning I looked at their site and now it jumped up to "1-3 months" and the woman from support told me that they await it for delivery at end of september.
They must have received a shipment with BM stuff today, ´cause now all other BM cameras are in stock but the BMPCC :shock: .

WTF is going on in Germany?!
Don´t know what to do right now, I already bought the lens, recorder etc. and sold my old cam :(
Now I´m just waiting for the mail that tells me to pay the "full" price instead of the "SummerSale" -.-

That´s not cool :(
http://vimeo.com/downwindproduction

Adam Simmons

PostTue Aug 05, 2014 11:01 am

That's pretty much the same worldwide. Resellers are having to wait for BM to ship the stock over as they are still making them

Christian Schmitt

PostTue Aug 05, 2014 11:30 am

Heard the same from Marcotec. The new batch is supposed to arrive this week, than they fill orders according to order date. I don´t think we can complain much considering the price reduction. For me this will be a B-cam, so waiting win´t that of an issue...

Matthias Schmidt

PostTue Aug 05, 2014 11:31 am

Adam Simmons wrote:That's pretty much the same worldwide. Resellers are having to wait for BM to ship the stock over as they are still making them

Yeah it´s more about the lack of information than the camera itself. I paid right after ordering so now I have no money and no camera.

Liam d'Authreau

BMPCC Stock Levels after 50% sale

PostTue Aug 05, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi all,
Like many I jumped on the recent 50% offer on BMPCC's and am still waiting for even an estimated delivery date. I ordered from videogear.co.uk in the UK on the 22nd July.

I've contacted the above reseller several times but all they can tell me is they are not getting any answers from Blackmagic.

I appreciate that there was huge demand after the offer and many people are waiting but the lack of a rough date is very frustrating, I have projects coming up and have no idea if the camera is going arrive in time.

Has anyone here managed to find out anything at all or can someone from blackmagic shed some light on their delivery schedules, even just roughly?
I've read stock is being fairly distributed among regions and obviously demand is going to be different in different places so if anyone has some UK-specific information that would be much appreciated.

I have had the same stock problems with the Metabones EF speedboaster ordered at the same time (as they were caught on the back foot with this offer too) but at least I have managed to get a rough date for that (15th Aug I was told if that helps anyone).

Dave Perry

PostTue Aug 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Matthias Schmidt wrote:I´m pretty disappointed right now.
My dealer here in Germany had the Pocket listed for delivery in "2 weeks", when I ordered it at 24th of July. So last week it counted down one day every day ´til yesterday to "2 days".

This morning I looked at their site and now it jumped up to "1-3 months" and the woman from support told me that they await it for delivery at end of september.
They must have received a shipment with BM stuff today, ´cause now all other BM cameras are in stock but the BMPCC :shock: .

WTF is going on in Germany?!
Don´t know what to do right now, I already bought the lens, recorder etc. and sold my old cam :(
Now I´m just waiting for the mail that tells me to pay the "full" price instead of the "SummerSale" -.-

That´s not cool :(

Personally I would wait for the camera because it's still a great camera for a great price. Your options are to cancel your order and return your lens to get your money back, or wait. Just use your current camera for the jobs you have now. You didn't sell your only camera before receiving and testing a new one...right?
S1H
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

Matthias Schmidt

PostTue Aug 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Dave Perry wrote: [...] You didn't sell your only camera before receiving and testing a new one...right?

Luckily I didn´t, but I´m also just a student and do not have to do any jobs with the cam ;) .
Film and VFX is just a hobby of mine and this was the big chance to get a camera with a 10-bit codec for less than 500,-€.
So yes, I won´t cancel my order, the price is just too good.

UPDATE: My reseller told me today that they await the delivery at 30th september....

Chris Leutger

Re: BMPCC Stock Levels after 50% sale

PostTue Aug 05, 2014 9:08 pm

I just got an email from B&H saying that they haven't yet received the merchandise from the supplier. They have no idea when. During the initial sale of the Cinema Camera and then the Pocket meeting demand and dates was a disaster. Watching that train wreck was a real turn off and I quit paying attention to the company for quite awhile. When I checked back in a few months ago, things looked good, cameras were everywhere, firmware fixes were coming, lots of great footage making it onto the web. What's cracking me up now is that I jumped onto the sale and as our wait times extend out to who knows how long it's become apparent to me that here we go again. Huge demand and no idea of when they'll deliver.
This year after doing a ton of research and considering several cameras (Pocket, GH4, A7S) I decided to build up my skills with rentals and using my Sony NEX and wait until 2015 for next gen. When the sale hit I hesitated because of my decision but decided at that price to go for it because, even with all the hoopla over those latter two cameras, there was something about the Pocket that really appealed to me. When I bit B&H's site said 7 days. Two weeks later I get an email saying basically "?". I'm booking a trip to Detroit for September and right now am just keeping my fingers crossed that it comes through before then since that project was the impetus for everything. If not I'll go back to my original plan, Sony, Super 8, Bolex 16mm....I can use the Pocket when I go back in the winter.....
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Matthias Schmidt

PostTue Aug 05, 2014 10:23 pm

Liam d'Authreau wrote:Hi all,
Like many I jumped on the recent 50% offer on BMPCC's and am still waiting for even an estimated delivery date. I ordered from videogear.co.uk in the UK on the 22nd July.
[...]

You´re not alone with this. My reseller had the delivery date set to "2 weeks" when I ordered on 24th July. Then today it changed to "1-3 months" with the support telling me "available end of september" :oops: :shock:

A little information would be really helpful...

Liam d'Authreau

PostWed Aug 06, 2014 1:43 am

Thanks Matthias, i'm assuming your reseller is in Germany is it? That's the closest I have to an answer for myself in the uk anyway if your reseller knows what they are talking about!

It's not so much that i'm annoyed at a long wait for this camera (although I do think BM could have been seen this demand coming really with a 50% sale offer), I was expecting it to a certain extent. Its the lack of information and communication direct with customers and even with their resellers who presumably sell 1000's of units on their behalf.

Theres a few assumptions here but here goes anyway - I am assuming that blackmagic have not got stock sitting around and are manufacturing these to meet demand now. I'm pretty sure BM know how long it takes to make "x" amount of cameras. I'm by no means an expert but i'm sure they have manufacturing schedules relating to what they are doing each week and where they put there resources. Their manufacturing plants don't just wake up and do what they feel like each day.
If there is a hold up because of supplies of components etc then surely it would be best to say so and we will all feel a bit more kindly toward the company as it is out of their hands.
From looking around and from what i've read the 50% offer is pretty much over now, none of the resellers are able to sell for the lower price as all their quotas have been reached. Therefore BM know how many cameras they need to send out at the lower price to each region.
Surely they can put two and two together and with a little maths give us a rough date when all the cameras on the 50% offer will be ready to send out to resellers?!? or am i over simplifying this..! :?

Speak Blackmagic! This is my first time actually buying anything from you after lots of interest over the years, create a good first impression ;) The delays are what they are but a bit of communication goes a long way!

Dave Perry

PostWed Aug 06, 2014 5:41 pm

Matthias Schmidt wrote:UPDATE: My reseller told me today that they await the delivery at 30th september....

That's better than never. B&H has raised their price back up to full price.
S1H
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

gwoodley

PostWed Aug 06, 2014 9:41 pm

Well, I have to say I'm not feeling happy about this. I just went online to order from BH only to find the sale's been cancelled. Apparently it's been cancelled since the 4th. BM really have to work on their customer relations - perhaps a press release, or even a tweet to let us know what's happened. Fortunately there are other cameras and more reliable manufacturers.

And to add to this, there would be no point ordering the camera now even if I wanted to pay the full price. How long would it take for the order to be filled?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 06, 2014 10:08 pm

I've merged the different threads started about this into one seeing as they're virtually the same. You can read my first response and hopefully this clears up any confusion.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Bill Gaunce

PostWed Aug 06, 2014 10:33 pm

I received an email that my pocket camera has shipped today from B&H. I ordered on July 16th at 9:30pm.

Diego Gonzalez

PostWed Aug 06, 2014 11:45 pm

gwoodley B&H had on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera page that the sale was going to end on August 4th. Even so, they were pretty upfront about it being on a limited supply basis.
Next

Return to Cinematography