List Your Complete/Intended BMCC Setup

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Marshall Harrington

Re: New Carbon Fiber Rig from Tilta

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 3:02 am

Mike Halerz wrote:
MarshallHarrington wrote:Wonder if you could include some shots of your different configurations. I like the sound of you transition from tripod to shoulder to really small handheld. Would like to see more detail. Did you get the dovetail?

I'll see what I can do. So, the BMCC rig itself came with two plates: one is relatively small and the other is a much longer, lightweight dovetail. Not sure which I'll be using more until I experiment a little bit with the camera on there.

The Tilta rig I use with the fs700 has a dedicated adjustable shoulder pad, so you can pretty much pull it off the tripod, clip the front handles on, and go handheld - but the BMCC specific rig doesn't have that shoulder pad. It looks like they have a couple options to add them, though, so I may do that at some point.

Mike, thanks for the info. Really helpful. Look forward to seeing it if it's possible. A cople more questions. How do you like the handles being on the side rather than under the rig? Seems like that would be awkward for long periods of time. But I guess if the rig was balanced on the the shoulder it might not matter. Also how long is the long plate? 12 inches or so like so many of the Arri's?

Mike Halerz

Re: New Carbon Fiber Rig from Tilta

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 4:54 am

MarshallHarrington wrote:Mike, thanks for the info. Really helpful. Look forward to seeing it if it's possible. A cople more questions. How do you like the handles being on the side rather than under the rig? Seems like that would be awkward for long periods of time. But I guess if the rig was balanced on the the shoulder it might not matter. Also how long is the long plate? 12 inches or so like so many of the Arri's?

I'll snap some pics as things get tested in the next couple days.

So, I don't have the side handles that they show in a couple of the pics on the web (the ones that attach to the side rosettes on the cage). Frankly, I'm not sure how to even get them - they're not part of any of the specific "kits" that Tilta makes available for the BMCC, even though they're in a couple of the pictures. I suspect they might not actually be available yet but had asked the dealer I worked with to look into it and still haven't gotten any news. I'm hoping they'll eventually be available on their own and can just be added.

In the meantime, I have the double handles from the other Tilta rig that attach to the rods up front. There's a decent chance I'll just stick with those for most uses, but the side handles might be nice for those occasions where I don't want rods at all (or at least not bottom rods). The handles that attach to the rods are pretty nice...fairly adjustable and solid feeling.

The small plate is about 4 1/4" x 2 5/8" and does have forward and back travel to it and can be locked down at any point in its travel. The big dovetail plate is like 9 3/4" x 3 1/2" and maybe 1/2" thick total. Bunches of attachment points on the underside (a dozen threaded holes of various sizes in a line).

declanefoley

Re: List Your Complete/Intended BMCC Setup

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 11:05 am

With the reseller I bought it from in the UK the handles are only included in the first 15mm bundle that comes without the mattebox/ff but they are made by Tilta so I see no reason why they shouldn't be available once they have their distribution set up better.

I'm still looking around for a mattebox so if you ever have the time any brief thoughts you have on the build quality of Tilta's would be much appreciated. Enjoy the camera!

Mike Halerz

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 3:22 pm

declanefoley wrote:With the reseller I bought it from in the UK the handles are only included in the first 15mm bundle that comes without the mattebox/ff but they are made by Tilta so I see no reason why they shouldn't be available once they have their distribution set up better.

I'm still looking around for a mattebox so if you ever have the time any brief thoughts you have on the build quality of Tilta's would be much appreciated. Enjoy the camera!

I already had a Tilta MB and FF, so I ordered the "basic" BMCC rig, but no side handles came with it. In the "official looking" Tilta parts list, they have a KIT1 through KIT6 and KIT3 (what I got) has the 15mm lightweight baseplate, lightweight dovetail plate, side brackets, and top handle. But the Tilta website shows a slightly different product chart with three kits and the "basic" one has those side handles. Not sure what's up, but I'd probably add them at some point. The existing "universal" handles can be made to work with the rosettes on the sides of the cage, but it's less than ideal.

The mattebox is nice. Build is solid. The body is carbon fiber, the swing away is easy to use. It's got about an inch of vertical adjustment. It hit most of the key points I was looking for. Came with both black cloth bellows and a variety of black foam donuts. In an ideal world, it would have modular filter stages, all of which could rotate, but for the vast majority of times, two stages with one rotating is just fine for me. Looks like the newer 4x5.6 mattebox has two rotating stages.

Any specific things you were wondering about?

UPS is due here within 2 hours. Very exciting!

Mike Halerz

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 8:00 pm

BMCC arrived this morning! I realized Tilta has a few pics up on their site that look more or less identical to my setup:

Bigger setup:
http://www.tilta.tv/uploadfile/products ... 441129.jpg
http://www.tilta.tv/uploadfile/products ... 449122.jpg
The battery plate can hinge down more than that -there's a double hinge on there.

My version, weighed in at around 17lbs as seen:
full-rig-with-battery01.jpg
full-rig-with-battery01.jpg (90.24 KiB) Viewed 23043 times

This a more compact setup:
http://www.tilta.tv/uploadfile/products ... 443166.jpg

My version. about 12lbs as seen. Could go a little more compact overall if using the donuts instead of the bellows:
smaller-rig-no-battery.jpg
smaller-rig-no-battery.jpg (96.63 KiB) Viewed 23043 times

Or you could put your battery on top rods:
smaller-rig-with-battery.jpg
smaller-rig-with-battery.jpg (96.28 KiB) Viewed 23043 times

I have a number of sizes of CF rods that didn't come with the "kit" specifically. The long bottom rods in the first pic are 45cm (they go straight through the baseplate and out the back) and the top ones are 20cm. In the more compact setup, I put 30mm on the bottom and those are still 20cm up top.

More in another post since I can only attach 3 pics at once...
Last edited by Mike Halerz on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Halerz

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Continuing...

Here's a fairly stripped down setup:
small-rig-back.jpg
small-rig-back.jpg (82.22 KiB) Viewed 23043 times

small-rig-front.jpg
small-rig-front.jpg (58.21 KiB) Viewed 23043 times

This is probably where I'd want the side handles that attach to the rosettes.

The blue portions of the cage brackets can get removed so the cage hugs a little closer to the camera front. I would think they'd be useful to shift balance forward or back if you were using the side handles.

Mike Halerz

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Here are pics of just the cage on the camera:
cage-front.jpg
cage-front.jpg (93.96 KiB) Viewed 23043 times

cage-back.jpg
cage-back.jpg (78.15 KiB) Viewed 23043 times

Again, those blue pieces seem to be optional. If you remove them (included allen key) the black side brackets can line directly up with the black parts of the top and bottom for a less "offset" side brackets that still don't block any camera ports.

The top of the cage attaches to the three mounting points on the top of the BMCC. The bottom had two screws, but the camera has a single threaded hole and a locator pin, so I just used the one screw. I have no concerns there...everything is solid.

And here are the two plates that come with the bottom portion of the cage. The top is the dovetail, the bottom is the "lightweight" sliding plate:
plates.jpg
plates.jpg (119.48 KiB) Viewed 23043 times

I'll be shooting this week with various configurations. Will post impressions in use. The gear is all quite nice, though, and I've enjoyed in on the fs700 so far.

Marshall Harrington

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 8:20 pm

Mike,

Thanks for posting these up. I've go to agree that I also like what you've got here. Obviously we cannot see the build quality from these shots but all the comments are pretty favorable. Actually not a person has had anything to say that isn't very positive as to how well they are built.

One question on the matte-box? Will it allow you to rotate the filter 90 degrees so that you could use a 4X5.65 grad that is in the vertical orientation, as are most of the grad's that were made for stills?

Mike Halerz

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 8:35 pm

MarshallHarrington wrote:Mike,

Thanks for posting these up. I've go to agree that I also like what you've got here. Obviously we cannot see the build quality from these shots but all the comments are pretty favorable. Actually not a person has had anything to say that isn't very positive as to how well they are built.

One question on the matte-box? Will it allow you to rotate the filter 90 degrees so that you could use a 4X5.65 grad that is in the vertical orientation, as are most of the grad's that were made for stills?

The filter stage that rotates does rotate 90 degrees, but the actual filter holder itself doesn't look to me like it would securely hold anything other than a 4x4 (I haven't tried). I think they have a new mattebox out now that does bigger filters, though.

Yeah, tough to judge build specifically in pics. Is there anything you want me to snap a close up of? I would say that in general, everything is aluminum or CF, well made, feels good and solid, lines up well. Most of the fasteners (for loosening rods and such) are ratcheting so they can face any direction when tight.

One thing I *do* specifically like is that the FF, monitor arm, a lens support piece I have, and the universal handles that go on the bottom rods all have a quick disconnect setup so that if you want to remove them, you don't need to slide all the other items on the rods off first. And yet, they connect solidly.

I'm actually removing the blue cage pieces right now to see what I think. I'll likely prefer it that way since I have an iris lever that *barely* fits in place and makes contact with the iris gears when those pieces are in place.

cabo

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 6:12 am

Mike, thanks for the pictures - Are the blue parts metal and the black ones carbon fiber ? I picked up one of the Tilta Runner Rigs from Team Tilta in NJ just for $659 - Mini base, follow focus, dual front grips, offset battery and counterweight - It hasn't arrived yet but the shipping notice wasn't from Tilta, it was from Switronics (the battery guys). Hmmm.

http://www.teamtilta.com/
http://www.switronix.com/

There's a definite similarity in their web pages, and yes, they share the same address. Team Tilta looks like a marketing test. In order to even see their site, you need to be referred by someone. (Send me a PM if you want a referral - its free and no emails from anyone). The big benefit is the offer of 50% off any one item if you buy a T-Shirt and any Tilta item and post a video review of it. There are a few caveats, but it costs nothing to take a look at their stuff and the 50% deal is unbeatable on big ticket items.

The Movie-Joyfull Store on eBay shipping direct from China has some Tilta stuff for less, but the Runner's Rig with follow focus and accessories was almost $300 more than Team Tilta in the New Jersey, even with free shipping.

http://myworld.ebay.com/movie-joyfull/

The Joyfull Store on Alibaba has the best pricing on accessory items and the best overall pictures if you need to see what you're buying. Is that a Manfrotto mini-clamp ? Or an Edelkrone ? Perfect copies !

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/705299

I really wish Tilta would post some 3D pix of their items, it's hard to discern the details.

Mike Halerz

PostTue Jan 08, 2013 6:35 am

Yeah, I have no idea what the Switronix/Tilta relationship might be. Interesting.

Most of the black pieces are also metal. The main carbon fiber components are the mattebox shell (swing away arm is metal) and then the rods. Things ship with black aluminum rods, but I've swapped in CF on all my rigs.

I may have better 3D pics in a PDF my dealer sent me a while back. I recall it detailing the handful of BMCC kits they make and having illustrations of each.

MissionFilm

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Just got my BMCC Saturday here in Arizona. Tests have been going great. Wanted to list my equipment for anyone interested in a working system. Also have a few quick questions.

BMCC Camera and Handles with Jag35 top Handle from my shoulder mount system
Canon 16-35 2.8 II (Do lens's not "lock/Click" in like on DSLR's? I cant get it to snap into place) Iris and Focus peaking are picky when first turning on the camera with this lens on. Other than that footage looks good from it.
IDX EnduraH9s E-HL9S Li-ion V-Mount Batteries with Dual P-Tap Outputs Mounted on Zacuto Zwiss Plate.
Manfrotto 504HD System with 546B spreader
HDS Universal adj. Height Heavy Duty Base w/15mm x 500mm rods (300mm and 200mm rods)
NewerTech VoyagerQ
256GB Samsung 830 series SATA 6gb/s (No problems thus far with 2.5k or ProRes Footage)
240GB SanDisk Extreme SATA 6gb/s (On order after reading the SSD Thread)
A-Box (BMC) Wooden Camera 1/4 XLR Converter - Works great!!
Portabrace Bag and Pelican 1560 Hard Case for transport.

Loving the footage I'm getting so far. Also loving DaVinci Resolve 9.1.
Batteries are a must have. Multiple SSD's are a must have. Cant wait for a firmware update with SSD readout.
Firmware 1.2 will be nice to have with Aperture/Iris displayed.

If anyone wants DNG's or Pictures of the setup I can email them to you. Ill post some footage soon.

Manix

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 1:03 am

Hope this thread isn't completely dead since I would like some feedback.

BMCC (EF Mount)

1. Lens
Zeiss Distagon 35mm (owned)
Zeiss Planar T 50mm (owned)
Sigma 10-20mm (hope it works with the bmcc)
Canon 18-135mm

2. SSD
SanDisk Extreme 480gb

3. Battery
Switronix Powerbase-70 Battery Pack

4. Monitor
ikan D5 5.6" (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/890551-REG/ikan_D5_S_D5_5_6_Camera_Monitor.html) 629$

5. Camera Rigs
ikan Tri-Fly Cinema Camera Handheld Rig integrated tripod mount (will add shoulder pads with robs extension for shoulder shooting) I hope the handles of the rig can be invented so I don't have to buy handle grips, additional rods bars, handlebar clamp.

D/Focus Systems - D/Focus V3 Follow Focus
Cavision - 3x3" Matte Box
Pearstone VT-2100 Fluid Head Video Tripod

I'm just wondering if the monitor is good enough to handle the bmcc.

Also, since I'm not an expect in power suplly, can the Ikan D5 monitor (DC6 to 24V ) can be plug on the Switronix Powerbase-70 battery (12 VDC)?
Last edited by Manix on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JF Robichaud

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 5:21 pm

I ordered the EF-mount BMC from BH. I already have a nice kit that I use with 60D, 7D or 5D DSLRs.

1. Lens Choices
I already own:
Tokina 11-16mm (I hope I can adjust it to fix the focus issue)
Tamron 17-50mm (my go-to lens for DSLRs)
Canon 28mm
as well as a few basic Canon f4-5.6 zoom lenses

Want to buy:
A few primes (TBD, Zeiss maybe)
Canon 70-200mm L-series
but I've been pretty happy with renting or borrowing additional lenses when required.

2. Solid State Drives
Will wait to see what drives are the most reliable and order 2 or 3 (256GB or 512GB) when I know the camera is coming. I don't intend to shoot much RAW in 2013 so that will be sufficient to start.

3. Battery Solutions
I've got a Switronix power base kit coming with my camera (100$ with my BH order). Will see if I should get a second Switronix base or something else.

4. Storage
I'll only shoot Prores for a while, so two 4TB Thunderbolt drives should be enough to start (one for backup). Will get more storage when I start shooting RAW.

5. Data Transfer
I ordered a basic USB3 dock. I might get the GoFlex TB adaptor. For on set data transfer, I will use my Macbook Pro, which has neither USB3 nor TB... so I need to get a FW800 or SATA (with expresscard adapter) solution.

6. Audio Recording
Got:
Zoom H4n,
boom and AT shotgun mic,
AT wired lavalier mic

Would like to get:
Sennheiser G3 wireless kit, but it's hard to justify the cost considering that when I really need it, I hire a soundman with his own equipment.

7. Camera Rigs
I have:
Shape Composite, which should adapt well to the BMC. I got a 40% off deal on it about a year ago.

Need to get:
a follow focus, maybe Lanparte, to replace the Shape friction-based one which I never really liked.
I do intend to get a stabilizer kit someday soon, probably Glidecam2000 or 4000 and eventually the arm and vest.

8. Tripods, Dollys & Stands
Using a Manfrotto 501HDV with basic legs. I need a sturdier option. Will probably buy used.
I own a Konova K5 slider (100cm-length), which is really great for its price, but I think I should have bought a Pocket Dolly instead. I might buy a crank handle kit for my Konova.

9. Lighting Options
I own:
- Lowell Kit (pro/omni/tota)
- a generic one-foot LED panel, might get an extra one
- a bunch of chinese lanterns
- some cheap photofloods.
- a couple of C-stands, flags, clamps and other rig stuff

I want to buy:
- a Lowell Rifa light
- an ARRI fresnel kit (used?)
- more grip stuff (4x4 frame, 18x24 silks and scrims, more stands, more clamps)
I rent HMI and Kino Flo when needed. Maybe I'll buy a Diva.

Monitoring
I also own a SmallHD DP6 HDMI-only monitor. How I regret not getting the SDI option! Either I have it upgraded to SDI by SmallHD (which is expensive for out of the USA customers), or I get a HDMI to SDI converter.

Transport and storage
I need a bigger car to carry all that stuff around. And more storage space!

GripworksCo

PostTue Feb 12, 2013 4:36 am

Camera arrived today. Here's what I have so far:

BMCC EF updated to 1.2

Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 75-300mm 4-5.6
Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens

Sachtler DV4 Head and Sticks (10 years of hard use and still rock solid)

1 Crucial M4 256
1 Crucial M4 512

Seagate Desktop Thunderbolt Adapter
Seagate 3TB for Backup
Lacie 1TB Thunderbolt Portable

MacBook Pro 15" Retina Display
iMac 27" pre TB - Firewire is killing me...

Still to come:

BMC M4/3
PL Adapter
Zeiss CP.2 Set
Several more SSDs

A RAID - This is bugging me a bit. Wondering about building my own SSD enclosure. Anyone done this?
eSata to TB?

Cage - Kind of leaning towards Tilta but their website is not very helpful. Also like Viewfactor.
Power Solution
MatteBox and FF - IKAN anyone? Love Arri but SOOOO spendy.
A-Box or Juiced Riggy
Monitor - again IKAN? Anybody?... Bueller?
Perhaps a larger head and sticks down the road.

What am I missing?

Toss in my 20 years as a Gaffer and my fully equiped Grip Truck and Lighting Package and I am ready to go!

Let's make a movie...
John Murphy
www.GripworksCo.com

Sam Red

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 9:34 pm

GripworksCo wrote:Camera arrived today. Here's what I have so far:

BMCC EF updated to 1.2

Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 75-300mm 4-5.6
Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens

1 Crucial M4 256
1 Crucial M4 512

Seagate 3TB for Backup

Still to come:

BMC M4/3
PL Adapter
Zeiss CP.2 Set
Several more SSDs

A RAID - This is bugging me a bit. Wondering about building my own SSD enclosure. Anyone done this?
eSata to TB?

Cage - Kind of leaning towards Tilta but their website is not very helpful. Also like Viewfactor.
Power Solution
A-Box or Juiced Riggy

What am I missing?

Toss in my 20 years as a Gaffer and my fully equiped Grip Truck and Lighting Package and I am ready to go!

Let's make a movie...

As for a Matte box

i like to recommend the ikan D7 or D7w [urlhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/895171-REG/ikan_D7_C_7_3G_SDI_LCD.html][/url] It's a sharp, all cast metal body. It has a great color rendition. its very well equipped with useful functions. At under 1k, i would say id be hard to beat that deal also if budget is an Issue i like the quality and performance of the VX7i, a 7in IPS with SDI... [url]://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/896276REG/ikan_vx7i_e6_VX7i_7_3G_SDI_Camera.html[/url]

Ryan Best

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 1:31 am

7681production

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 2:38 am

This is all gear I already own except battery, ikan cage and electronic viewfinder.

Lenses
Canon 24L, 35L, 50 1.4, 85LII, 100L IS, 135L 24-70 f4L IS. (Use on C100 and 5DIII)

Battery
Switronix powerbase 70 + battery and charger kit. (need to buy for this camera)

SSD
2x 480GB sandisk extreme (I use them on my Atomos Ninja2)

Storage
Drobo 5D with 20TB and 8TB thunderbolt HD for editing.

Support
Ikan cage (need to buy for this camera)
Miller tripod with Manfrotto 504HD head.
Manfrotto 561B HDV monopod
Cinevate Altlas 10 slider
Edelkrone slider +

Sound
Sound device Mix Pre-D

I need to find a good electronic viewfinder. Alphatron...what else?

Trevor Zuck

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 2:52 am

My items:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/wl/664B7AFD90

going to attempt to make my own BMCC cage, base, and handles.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Darryl Gregory

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 2:59 am

TZuck wrote:My items:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/wl/664B7AFD90

going to attempt to make my own BMCC cage, base, and handles.

I want to see this, keep us updated TZuck, DIY is a passion of mine, but time and space are my kryptonite, and the fact I now live in an apartment (Miss my house and workshop/garage) it's hard to do any DIY.

Good luck!

Trevor Zuck

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 3:07 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:I want to see this, keep us updated TZuck, DIY is a passion of mine, but time and space are my kryptonite, and I the fact I now live in an apartment (Miss my house and workshop/garage) it's hard to do any DIY.

Good luck!

will do. just figured out of all the items for a full rig these were the ones that are overpriced and should be fairly easy to construct. plus i have access to a rig i can use for precise measurements.

will post 3D design mock-ups once i get some free time to make them...
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Paul Abrahams

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Spent the last 10yrs teaching myself engineering & production in Logic Studio want to shoot music videos. Under no illusions it will be easy trying to keep it simple.

I'm coming from DSLR so starting off;

1. Lenses - Canon 17-55mm IS USM, 85mm f1.8, 70-200mm f4, tokina 11-16, tiffen filters.
Want some primes

2. SSD - Sandisk Extreme 480gb x2

3. Battery - Anker Astro3

4. Storage - Yet to buy

5. Data Transfer - Seagate Goflex tb

6. Audio - Will see how the internal is for scratch track
Need Portable Audio Playback for location, any ideas?

7. Rig - none yet.
Keen on: Edelkrone, ikan.

8. Tripods, Dollys & Stands - Manfrotto 561BHDV (monopod).
Keen on: ProElite Tripod, Edelkrone Slider, Kessler Pocket Jib, Portabrace bags.

9. Lighting - Torchleds (& hire)

10. Post - FCP, 27" iMac
Last edited by Paul Abrahams on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
SubUrban Voodoo Productions

emdy

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 3:35 pm

GripworksCo wrote:Camera arrived today. Here's what I have so far:

BMCC EF updated to 1.2

Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 75-300mm 4-5.6
Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens

1 Crucial M4 256
1 Crucial M4 512

Seagate 3TB for Backup

Still to come:

BMC M4/3
PL Adapter
Zeiss CP.2 Set
Several more SSDs

eSata to TB?

Power Solution
A-Box or Juiced Riggy

What am I missing?

Let's make a movie...

Paul, I would really consider woodencamera.com They have very durable stuff but slightly more expensive than other non durable stuff you can find out there. The only thing they may not make is matteboxes and FF.
Emdy Jones
Producer/Director
www.equa.ca
info@equa.ca
https://www.facebook.com/EquaStudios

Paul Abrahams

PostSat Mar 30, 2013 10:59 am

I'm interested in the ikan Blackmagic Baseplate kit to build up a custom rig.

There's so many follow focus options. Any pointers on what to get or what to stay away from?
SubUrban Voodoo Productions

Theodore Prentice

PostSat Mar 30, 2013 1:40 pm

emdy wrote:
GripworksCo wrote:
Cage - Kind of leaning towards Tilta but their website is not very helpful.

Paul, I would really consider woodencamera.com They have very durable stuff but slightly more expensive than other non durable stuff you can find out there..

Not sure if your comment was directed at the tilta gear, but, I have a few bits from them and their stuff is top notch, a little difficult to acquire, but worth every penny (and more, in my opinion)
I bet (hope) we see more tilta stuff from the bigger distributors soon.

Tokjhal

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 4:53 pm

John Waldorff wrote:Nice rig Alexandre, I have made some similar decision..

Here goes my setup..

BMCC EF version

Sigma
8-16mm -> already purchased

ZEISS EF
35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4 -> already purchased

CANON L
24-70mm f2.8 mk1 -> already purchased, still hope they make it work, otherwise I change it

Mattebox, Followfocus, Shouldermount from Proaim -> already purchased

RØDE NTG2 shotgun microphone -> already purchased

Battery Solutions same as Alexandre:
1 SWITRONIX Powerbase 70
Battery included Contact Block for Blackmagic -> purchased
1 SWITRONIX Powerbase Charger -> purchased

Light and cheap Manfrotto Tripod -> already purchased
I purchased MANFROTTO 504HD Head with 546GBK Tripod 1 month ago with a really good deal on Amazon but it was too heavy for my usage, I had to give up on it.

So I'm ready to go!!!

Cheers

So it seems that u had a great list here :-)
Keep it up. And please try to help me in near future.
Last edited by Tokjhal on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bill Houston

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 10:04 pm

This is for the BMPC 4k (Open to suggestions/criticisms). Very curious about comments regarding the new Manfrotto-Deluxe Blackmagic Cinema Tripod. Anyone used this?: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... ripod.html

1. Lens Choices
-Rokinon Cine series
24mm
35mm
85mm
-Tiffen fliters

2. Solid State Drives
-Sandisk 480gb
-Sandisk 120gb (bundled)

3. Battery Solutions
-None-Controlled environment

4. Storage
-Handled by a 3rd party. Not a concern.

5. Data Transfer
-OWC-Mercury Elite Pro Mini

6. Audio Recording
-Sennheiser EW112PG3
-Rode mini Boompole
-Rode NTG
-Samson UM1/77

7. Camera Rigs
-Shape-Blackmagic Shoulder Mount Offset
-Redrock Micro Black

-Manfrotto-Deluxe Blackmagic Cinema Tripod (curious if anyone else has this yet?)

9. Lighting Options
-Comer CM-LED5500K
-Various others

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 11:22 pm

Already use most of this with other cameras while I wait for my BMPC-4K:
http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/ ... -thinking/

... plus a variety of tripods, lights, audio gear, stands, cables, etc.

David Fernandes

PostThu Jun 13, 2013 12:45 am

Just got a note from B&H that my BMC EF has shipped. Woo!

This is the setup:

1. Lens Choices

Nikon 80-200 2.8
Nikon 50mm 1.4 vintage (circa 1962)
Canon 24-105 3.5-4.5
Canon 24mm 2.8
Tokina 11-16 2.8

2. Solid State Drives

Intel 520 series 240gb x 4

3. Battery Solutions

View factor hinged v mount plate
4x ProX 130wh batteries v mount
Dtap splitter to four female

4. Storage
I use WD black 2TB drives. Have 20 + of them.

5. Data Transfer

Newer Tek drive docks x 4 esata and FireWire 800

6. Audio Recording

Sound Devices 702
Sanken CS3 shotgun
Rycote mounts and blimp

7. Camera Rigs

View factor Contineo with rods on top handle
Red rock micro DSLR cage
Red Rock Matte box
Red Rock follow focus
Red Rock shoulder rig
Zacuto aluminum extendable 15mm rods

Sachtler Video III
Apple tree Motorized 3' E Slider

9. Lighting Options

Kino Flo 4bank flourescent
Kino Flo Diva Lite
Arri 1Ks

10. Monitoring

Small HD AC7 OLED SDI w/ dtap
Flanders Scientific CM171 w/ vmount
Alphatron electronic Viewfinder

Jdear

PostThu Jun 13, 2013 8:40 am

I guess this might be the wrong place to post, but here's what I want to outfit my future bm4k EF. Originally I had preordered the bmpcc, but costs were adding up (BMPCC, HS2, SSD, 2x sd cards, 2 mFt lenses, mft to EF adapter) so I thought I'd just get something I really want...

1. Lens Choices
-Use my existing 6 EF lenses, but buy either sigma 8-16 or tokina 11-16 for wide shots

2. Solid State Drives
- 3x 240gb sandisk
- hyper shuttle 2 to convert sdi to hdmi (for my existing smallhd dp4 Evf) and to record prores proxies as I shoot 4k raw internally.

3. Battery Solutions
SwitronixPB70

4. Storage
- already sorted

5. Data Transfer
-Existing usb3dock or goflex tb adapter for on the road with my rMBP

6. Audio Recording
- not interested in recording sound at this stage, but the juicelink ziggy if I ended needing Xlr phantom power.

7. Camera Rigs
- wieldy vest and steadicam
- tilta cage / wooden camera cage with top handle and evf mount

- possiblypocketdolly or the dynamic perception stage 1 carbon dolly as I'll be shooting 4k timelapse with a dslr.

9. Lighting Options
- natural light or my switronix torchled lights I already have.

Bill Houston

PostThu Jun 13, 2013 1:23 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Already use most of this with other cameras while I wait for my BMPC-4K:

Peter,
I found your webpage to be extremely valuable when selecting gear for my BMPC. Loved the DIY solutions and value purchases. Very well thought out.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Jun 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Bill Houston wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Already use most of this with other cameras while I wait for my BMPC-4K:

Peter,
I found your webpage to be extremely valuable when selecting gear for my BMPC. Loved the DIY solutions and value purchases. Very well thought out.

I'm glad you find it helpful. Gear selection is usually very application-specific and also very much a personal preference situation. The rig bits described on my blog are things I hope will be useful to me in many situations, but aren't meant to be universal recommendations.

I enjoy researching gear; there's such a wide range available, and there's always something new. The tricky part is being able to afford much of it. :-)

Cheers.

-

rick.lang

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 1:03 am

djfern wrote:10. Monitoring

Happy with all of these choices? I'm wanting to go that route too as i needed except the LCD version, not OLED.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Robert Bentley

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 3:02 am

great lists! :)

jasonxinzhou

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 2:35 am

This is the setup for my future bmd4k:

1. Lens Choices

Tokina 11-16/f2.8
Zeiss ZE 15/f2.8, 21/f2.8, 35/f1.4, 50/f2 makro, 85/f1.4, 100/f2 makro, 135/f2
Canon 70-200/f2.8 L IS II

2. Solid State Drives

Sandisk Extreme 480G

3. Battery Solutions

Switronix PB70 or Viewfactor hinged battery v mount, to be decided

4. Storage

2T*4 RAID5

5. Data Transfer

Seagate GoFlex USB3.0 adapter

6. Audio Recording

Sound Devices 702
Sanken CS3e
Schoeps CMC641
Sony UWP-V1 with Sanken COS11d lavalier
Rycote s-serier windshield

7. Camera Rigs

View factor Contineo cage
Red Rock shoulder rig
Redrock microRemote wireless follow focus

Sachtler dv12sb
Manfrotto 561bhdv monopod
edelkrone sliderplus

9. Lighting Options

Kino Flo 4feet 4bank flourescent
Dedolight 5-light portable kit
F&V 1x1 K4000 daylight LED and R300 LED ring light

10. Monitoring

Small HD DP6
TVlogic VFM056WP

jasonxinzhou

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 2:47 am

djfern wrote:Just got a note from B&H that my BMC EF has shipped. Woo!

This is the setup:

1. Lens Choices

Nikon 80-200 2.8
Nikon 50mm 1.4 vintage (circa 1962)
Canon 24-105 3.5-4.5
Canon 24mm 2.8
Tokina 11-16 2.8

2. Solid State Drives

Intel 520 series 240gb x 4

3. Battery Solutions

View factor hinged v mount plate
4x ProX 130wh batteries v mount
Dtap splitter to four female

4. Storage
I use WD black 2TB drives. Have 20 + of them.

5. Data Transfer

Newer Tek drive docks x 4 esata and FireWire 800

6. Audio Recording

Sound Devices 702
Sanken CS3 shotgun
Rycote mounts and blimp

7. Camera Rigs

View factor Contineo with rods on top handle
Red rock micro DSLR cage
Red Rock Matte box
Red Rock follow focus
Red Rock shoulder rig
Zacuto aluminum extendable 15mm rods

Sachtler Video III
Apple tree Motorized 3' E Slider

9. Lighting Options

Kino Flo 4bank flourescent
Kino Flo Diva Lite
Arri 1Ks

10. Monitoring

Dude, I noticed that you got a sanken cs3e and rycote mount too. My sanken's black coating came off after several uses with rycote. Did you have the same issue?

BTW go to B&H website and search sanken cs3e, in the customer review section you will find the picture that I took.

jamesedge

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 7:01 am

Ryan Best wrote:1. Lens Choices
2. Solid State Drives
3. Battery Solutions
4. Storage
5. Data Transfer
6. Audio Recording
7. Camera Rigs
9. Lighting Options

for bmcc mft

1. contax c/y prime lenses with metabones speedbooster and nomal adapter to dual purpose the lenses. currently have: 135mm sonnar 2.8, 85mm planar 1.7, 50mm planar 1.7, 28mm distagon 2.8

2. sandisk extreme ssds - weighing up whether to get multiple 120gb drives or fewer 240gb

3. switronix pb70

4. -

5. internal drive bay on my pc

6. tascam dr-100, sound devices mixpre-d, sennheiser 416p48. currently weighing up a g3 wireless system to sync the sound straight into the camera.

7. viewfactor cage, plus when possible those nice aaton style handles.

8. vinten vision blue

9. -

carsantini

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Studio for State Agency
for live webinars and post produce interviews and documentaries on location
Budget $49,432 (spare budget for shortcomings $5,000)

Newtek Tricaster 455 with Control Surfaces $16,900.00
2 Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24”Widescreen LED Monitor $578.00
Samsung 32" 5500 Series Full HD $477.99
2 Blackmagic cinema camera EF mount $5,990.00
2 Small HD AC7 OLED Display $2,798.00
2 Lanparte cinema camera pro rig $5,000.00
Rokinon 14 mm t3.1 cine lens $349.00
Rokinon 85mm t1.5 cine lens $349.00
Manfrotto cinema camera bundle $1,658.00
2 Pearstone Digital Video Camcorder BAG $149.99
2 Sandisk extreme solid State drive $649.90
2 Switronix powerbase 70 battery package $650.00
Canare HD-SDI Video Coaxial Cable 50’ $119.90
2 Flolight KIT $1,098.00
Audio Technica AT 8314 Premium Microphone Cable 25’ $95.92
RodeNTG-3 Basic Shotgun Microphone kit $997.95
Mackie 1402-VLZ3 Fourteen Channel Mixer $399.00
2 Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Lavalier Microphone Package $1,098.00
3 Senal SMH-1000 Closed Back Pro Headphones $297.00
APC Smart UPS 3000VA $1,127.99
ASUS RT N66U Dual Band Wireless N900 Gigabit Router $149
Apple Mac Pro 12 cores (2013) - $5,000 (aprox)
ASUS PQ321Q Black 31.5" 8ms (GTG) Monitor 4K- $3,500

David Fernandes

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 12:57 pm

rick.lang wrote:
djfern wrote:10. Monitoring

Happy with all of these choices? I'm wanting to go that route too as i needed except the LCD version, not OLED.

Yes. the OLED is bright enough to use outdoors with a lens hood that Small HD sells.

The Flanders is amazing.

The Alphatron has a tiny bit of lag, but it's fine for focusing and framing.

David Fernandes

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 12:59 pm

jasonxinzhou wrote:

Dude, I noticed that you got a sanken cs3e and rycote mount too. My sanken's black coating came off after several uses with rycote. Did you have the same issue?

BTW go to B&H website and search sanken cs3e, in the customer review section you will find the picture that I took.

I haven't had that happen yet. But to be honest, if it does happen, I don't think it would bother me too much. The mic sounds amazing. The paint certainly shouldn't come off easily, but as long as it doesn't affect the sound quality, I'm not too concerned. I think i saw your post about it on B&H and I bought it anyway... Cheers!

Ronald Coltress

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Some one suggested this as an inexpensive monitor, do you think this will work?
Pyle PLMN7SU 7-Inch Battery Powered TFT/LCD Monitor
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMN7SU-Battery-Powered-Monitor/dp/B0071I0P9U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2REZ2XLBBZ8QA&coliid=I1E4EIKXPMGEHJ

Flat4

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 4:37 pm

1. Sigma 18-35 f1.8
2. Sandisk
3. GlobalMediaPro V-mount on Wooden Camera battery slider
4. Lacie Rugged HDD
5. Thunderbolt SSD Dock
6. N/A
7. Wooden Camera cage/top handle. ReWo Wooden handgrips V2, MovCam MM2 Mattebox, Tiffen ND set.
8. Manfrotto 504. Manfrotto 536
9. N/A

eyeiaye

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Flat4 wrote:1. Sigma 18-35 f1.8
2. Sandisk
3. GlobalMediaPro V-mount on Wooden Camera battery slider
4. Lacie Rugged HDD
5. Thunderbolt SSD Dock
6. N/A
7. Wooden Camera cage/top handle. ReWo Wooden handgrips V2, MovCam MM2 Mattebox, Tiffen ND set.
8. Manfrotto 504. Manfrotto 536
9. N/A

You have the ef or m43?
-eyeiaye

kk5hy

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 3:02 pm

1: pocket camera
2: lens

This will be my B camera and as such I want it to be as stealthy as possible.

matthijsliethof

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 5:26 pm

New intended set-up.

BMCC EF
V-mount lanparte 150wh + mounting plate from http://www.cinegearpro.com/
tokina 11-16
Ikan BMCC Baseplate
2x 240gb sandisk extreme (from the list)
Secced DV6 Reach 3 kit tripod

Only thing I am looking for is:

A top handle includes rods. I can't seem to find anything that doesn't include the rest of some cage. Am I missing something?

Can I just use something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-Dring-Screw- ... 0717713410 (I am afraid it will go on turning around:( )

to mount this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lanparte-DSLR-C ... 564f6cea76

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Ref: "The Tilta rig I use with the fs700 has a dedicated adjustable shoulder pad, so you can pretty much pull it off the tripod, clip the front handles on, and go handheld - but the BMCC specific rig doesn't have that shoulder pad. It looks like they have a couple options to add them, though, so I may do that at some point."

Zacuto has a new sholder pad out that looks good, is very comfy and might work with your rig.
Cheers Denny
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Holt

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 2:24 am

Have:
BMCC MFT
Tilta Cage
Redrock Micro FF
Rods (lots of them!)
Switronix PB70 w/ charger
Cineroid Metal EVF (jury still out)
Ikan VX7 monitor
Glass: Voigtlander 25mm .95, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Zeiss 35mm(Duclos'd), Zeiss ZF 1 50mm 1.4(Duclos'd), Rokinon 85mm 1.5 cine, Tokina ATX-II 28-70 2.8, Rokinon 8MM Cine Fish
Sandisk Ext 480/240
Voyager SSD Dock
Digital Juice 40" slider

Want:
Voigtlander 17.5 (maybe)/ Sigma 18-35(definitely)
More SSDs
Beefy tripod - probably Cartoni Focus HD with floor spreader

georgetsirogiannis

PostWed Aug 14, 2013 12:58 am

My setup for my (future) 4K camera:

Lenses:
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1,4

Disk: Probably Kingston SSDNow KC300 480GB (I hope it's working with the camera, else I'll have to go with the Sandisk Extreme 480 GB)

SDD Station: Conceptronic CHDDOCK Docking Station USB 2.0

Rig: Proaim Kit-20

Monitor: Ikan VX7e 7''

Battery: I don't intend to use one for now. My next big project will be on a set, so I can have the camera plugged.

Tripod: Weifeng 717 (really, it's the best economical tripod - it costs around $200 including the fluid head, I'm 100% satisfied)

I also own a Glidecam HD2000 and a 1.2m slider of unknown manufacturer I bought on ebay that works well (not great, but still).

For lighting, I've got a great 800W tungsten by MZ Lighting (a greek manufacturer) and a couple of Chinese economical 500Q LED lights (the color balance is not 100% in line with the 3200/5500 industry standard but they're okay). Next buy will probably be a small Kinoflo set, but for now all my money have gone to the camera.

-----

In general, I own cheap equipment, but most of it works great given the low price. I'd like to have a bunch of other stuff, but money is limited! I can always rent stuff for bigger projects - I don't do many big projects anyway, around 2-3 per year.

Chris Holt

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 2:26 am

Mike Halerz wrote:The blue portions of the cage brackets can get removed so the cage hugs a little closer to the camera front. I would think they'd be useful to shift balance forward or back if you were using the side handles.

I wish my tilta rig had the blue offset pieces. I can't find them online anywhere. It's a bit of a pain hooking up to the sdi out with my sausage fingers and the cage adds to the issue.

Nikolay Smirnov

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 4:52 pm

1. Lens Choices
Set of Rokinons. Not really going to waste money on those yet. Just rental.

2. Solid State Drives
2x480Gb SanDisk Extreme

3. Battery Solutions
Switronix Powerbase 70 + IDX E10

4. Storage
Raidon with 2x3Tb Seagate HDD.

5. Data Transfer
Seagate Thunderbolt Adaptor

6. Audio Recording
Juicedlink BMC366 Preamp or something similar

7. Camera Rigs
Ikan BMCC Plate + 15mm 40cm Rods