Blackmagic Camera Utility 1.9.3 - BMCC & BMPCC support

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Grzegorz Styczen

Re: Blackmagic Camera Utility 1.9.3 - BMCC & BMPCC support

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Awwww yeah! What a fantastic, fantastic thing. Thank you BM

There are still many features that would be nice (like compressed raw), but these updates make the camera much much better already.

Adnan Umer

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 2:45 am

How can I uninstall the previous firmware before I install the new one?

Steve Holmlund

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 3:00 am

1.9.3, nicely done.

If they ever do an upgrade with higher frame rates (I don't expect them to), they will have hit the ball out of the park completely.
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Paul Kapp

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 3:34 am

eddiekhan wrote:How can I uninstall the previous firmware before I install the new one?

Do you own a pc?
Windows 7?
Go to Control Panel/Programs & Features
Select BMD Camera Utility and uninstall

Kingsley Paul

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 4:43 am

Thank you BMD, your commitment towards your product users is highly appreciated. The skeptics have all been proven wrong. BMD has walked the talk.

Subrata Senn

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 5:06 am

Now with more white balance and shutter angle options, BMCC and BMPCC have more features than BMPC 4K.
Waiting for 1.9.4 now to have these features enabled on my BMPC 4K. The way things are moving, I'd expect that to come in a week.

Why not give us a few more ISO options? Like 160, 240, 320, 500 and 640? Digitally pushed from the base ISOs, I don't mind, but this would give us more options to play around with aperture.

No compressed raw in near future, I can understand. But why not 60 fps at HD Prores resolution? At least in BMPC4K?

Maybe I am demanding too much, but Black Magic Design can be magical at times, right?
Independent filmmaker/producer
Owner of post production facility for cinema including grading and creation of DCPs.

Rob Fasold

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 5:49 am

First of all, muchos gracias to BMD for the update, these features certainly don't hurt.

I am a little surprised, however, that they did not include (or substitute another temperature for) 4200K since that is the default color temperature of office/commercial fluorescent lights making it not unusual or frivolous as a WB setting.

samcameron

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 6:43 am

Wish list for the next update for the BMPCC:

1 - Being able to delete clips directly on the camera
2 - Being able to format the card on the camera
3 - Fine tuning for the shutter speed and the white balance (very small increments)

I think if BMD provides these features to the BMPCC then we can consider this camera as perfect product for the price (still good even without these things).

I don't need any other features apart of these three as far as I remember :-)

By the way, thanks for the last update, it's phenomenal!

adamroberts

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 6:58 am

eddiekhan wrote:How can I uninstall the previous firmware before I install the new one?

The installer comes with an uninstaller. Run that first. Then the installer. Then connect the camera and open the Blackmagic Camera Utility.

There is no need to uninstall the firmware on the camera and each update includes all the previous updates (it's self contained) so no need to install previous versions.

Evgenios Zosimov

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 10:04 am

Amazing that I have upgraded the BMCC 30 minutes before the commercial shoot, i know it was a bit risky but it was worth it. New shutter angles made some action shots look awesome, the remaining time is a lifesaver. I am not too much into "in camera audio recording" anyway but still a good feature for passthru scenarios.

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 12:21 pm

Yeah! Those new shutter angles almost none is talking about... Reaaaaaally helpfull!
Ulysses Paiva

Darren Scott

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 12:28 pm

BMD...are you planning to have these new feature output to monitors? I personally hardly use the screen on my BMCC since its so useless out in the sun and clearly not able to adjust its position so I use an EVF mostly. These features out be really more useful if we could see it on monitors. Great to finally have time remaining!

Mark Davies

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Darren Scott wrote:BMD...are you planning to have these new feature output to monitors? I personally hardly use the screen on my BMCC since its so useless out in the sun and clearly not able to adjust its position so I use an EVF mostly. These features out be really more useful if we could see it on monitors. Great to finally have time remaining!

No they don't Best to make do. Try using wings on your monitors to cut out glare. Also use a light meter.
Mark Davies

Rob Foulkes

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Great news - it's like having Magic Lantern!

Darren Scott

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 3:00 pm

Mark Davies wrote:
Darren Scott wrote:BMD...are you planning to have these new feature output to monitors? I personally hardly use the screen on my BMCC since its so useless out in the sun and clearly not able to adjust its position so I use an EVF mostly. These features out be really more useful if we could see it on monitors. Great to finally have time remaining!

No they don't Best to make do. Try using wings on your monitors to cut out glare. Also use a light meter.

Oh i'm good with the exposure...I have my EVF with false colour which is my main exposure tool. It would be nice to see the time remaining while I'm shooting.

Zachary Marsh

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 3:09 pm

First of all, I love the update. It's super awesome, especially for my Pocket camera. But of course, I have one small question...

Is it possible to show the histogram from the Pocket on an external monitor? I tried to hook mine up last night to see it but I couldn't get it to go. Anyone know?

Thanks!
Zach

Denny Smith

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 4:33 pm

This was replied to eailier! And the answer was,"No, the audio meters/historiogram are not part of the 'overlay' screen..." and as such, are not output over the HDMI port. Most new monitors will have audio meter from HDMI signal, showing what camera audio is doing.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dave Perry

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 4:45 pm

You don't uninstall the previous firmware. Many folks get that confused. What is uninstalled is the desktop software including the firmware installer. When you download the new update and run it, the first thing to do is run the uninstaller then reinstall the software to your computer. Then you are ready to update the camera firmware with the Blackmagic Camera Utility. It will do everything for the camera on its own. Just let it do its thing until it says your camera's firmware has been updated.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
2046 High Tower Dr. Unit 1
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

jacoblandiseigsti

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 7:29 pm

I'm getting all the added WB and shutter angles on both my BMCC and BMPCC.
(The post says just on the Pocket, but I'm getting them on both)
Previous

Return to Cinematography