BMCC Histogram Vs Zebra?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Christian Horne

Re: BMCC Histogram Vs Zebra?

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 7:12 am

There are plenty of reasons why I don't always ETTR, especially when I'm shooting in Video mode and there are specular highlights in the scene.

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 4:01 pm

Margus Voll wrote:If you expose to the 100% do you not see the proper zebras?

Your are starving your sensor. Is there a reason for that ?

Margus, I'm not sure going to 85% zebra is starving the sensor since it's only a small fraction of a stop lower with the intended goal of ensuring no channel is clipping unintentionally. Have we not seen examples where relying on 100% zebras leads to some results where one of the colour channel clips while the overall scene seemed to be fine?

Those discussions about single channel clipping go back a long way, but I took them at face value without really understanding how one colour can clip given that the sensor is reporting luminance values that are only interpreted as colour according to the debayer process in camera for ProRes/DNxHD or in post for raw.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Margus Voll

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 4:05 pm

As far as i know if you take some light away you get noise
so in some cases it would be good to have zebras at 100 and dial it bad lets say 1 to 2% by eye
and zebras.

BMC seems like 16 mm film which likes at least 1 stop over exposure.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 4:09 pm

Christian Horne wrote:There are plenty of reasons why I don't always ETTR, especially when I'm shooting in Video mode and there are specular highlights in the scene.

In the early days of discussion about how to get the maximum benefit from the camera, all the indications were that ETTR was the way to go. Since then, the advice has been modified so that ETTR is still best applied to raw or log, but when shooting in video mode, it may be better to expose for the scene closer to a more traditional manner, rather than using ETTR.

Specular highlights can clip the sensor if you wish as they are normally seen by the human eye that way anyway, thinking about strong sun on water or reflecting off chrome on a car, etc. if you don't want those kind of specular highlights to clip, your scene will look quite dark everywhere else. Still you may want that effect if you are shooting waves at the beach.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 4:16 pm

Margus Voll wrote:As far as i know if you take some light away you get noise
so in some cases it would be good to have zebras at 100 and dial it bad lets say 1 to 2% by eye
and zebras.

BMC seems like 16 mm film which likes at least 1 stop over exposure.

Yes, I've done that with 16mm film. Open up at least a stop over a traditional exposure when you expose for the middle of the scene or skin tones but that is usually going to be within the limits of the BMD sensor. Now people have the histogram on the camera monitor, it's easier to see the effect of opening up the iris a stop or two more than a scene average exposure. But you still avoid clipping unless intentional.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Margus Voll

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 6:03 pm

I have a job here that we did in prores with zebra on 95% and it worked out okay i'd say.

You can look it here:

Sure it is maybe a bit on the edge but one can keep that in mind when exposing.

Specially as now we have histogram.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Denny Smith

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 7:03 pm

You want to see what your exposure image really looks like, get a waveform monitor, it shows all. BM could add a pop up over image of full screen waveform to show exposure levels across the entire image. Panasonic did that with its AF100, worked great.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

sean mclennan

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Denny Smith wrote:You want to see what your exposure image really looks like, get a waveform monitor, it shows all. BM could add a pop up over image of full screen waveform to show exposure levels across the entire image. Panasonic did that with its AF100, worked great.

I would love a waveform, but I fear there is a limit to how much processing power the camera has left in it for these added features?!

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 9:16 pm

Margus, your productions are so good. Enjoyed that Fizz!

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Chris Tritschler

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 4:02 pm

Remember (at least the list time I uses a BMCC 4K) that the Zebras do not have a 'detect level' in Sony parlance - that is once they appear at the preset exposure level the don't come off - this can be very confusing and make them far less useful.

David Sandberg

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 4:56 pm

chrisser1976 wrote:Remember (at least the list time I uses a BMCC 4K) that the Zebras do not have a 'detect level' in Sony parlance - that is once they appear at the preset exposure level the don't come off - this can be very confusing and make them far less useful.

What? Are you saying that the zebras stay on the screen even when there's no longer clipping?
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding but I've never seen that behaviour on my BMCC.

Ulysses Paiva

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 11:10 am

David Sandberg wrote:What? Are you saying that the zebras stay on the screen even when there's no longer clipping?

+1 (If I understood it correctly too)
Ulysses Paiva

Jace Ross

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 1:35 am

David Sandberg wrote:
chrisser1976 wrote:Remember (at least the list time I uses a BMCC 4K) that the Zebras do not have a 'detect level' in Sony parlance - that is once they appear at the preset exposure level the don't come off - this can be very confusing and make them far less useful.

What? Are you saying that the zebras stay on the screen even when there's no longer clipping?

+1, never seen that.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Chris Tritschler

PostWed Sep 03, 2014 9:06 am

Yes that was my experience - perhaps it's out of date now - this was on the 4K model in early March of this year. The zebras just stayed on. I can't remember if I was using them for skin or whites now. Also the real-world dynamic range was nowhere near what was claimed. There seems to be a tendency to only protect the highlights - I was trained to set your skin @ 70-75% (67% for mid ethnic tones) then protect the highlights through either compression/limiting (like Sony's DCC) - basically the 'whitest' part of the picture should be 95%. This was often done through light control like nets on windows or just choosing a less 'hot' back ground. Of course sometimes I'll want to let the high lights go but the BMCC seems to do this with far less dignity than other cameras and nowhere near as nice as 35mm. I haven't tried LEE 1s etc with the BMCC though - maybe that would allow it to sing. I see a lot of skin tones creeping up to 85 % these days and I do wonder if that's as a lack of training.

Perhaps you could tell me if there is now an option in the menu to set the range of the Zebras ? If there was I would consider using the BMCC again. I have a job coming up in Jordan and so far the C300 seems to be more suitable. I do have a deposit on an Ursa but would need a couple of test days before I accepted it - still too many unanswered questions for me to take it seriously at this stage. Is the BMCC 4K recording RAW yet ?

David Sandberg

PostWed Sep 03, 2014 11:03 am

chrisser1976 wrote:Perhaps you could tell me if there is now an option in the menu to set the range of the Zebras ?

You can choose between 75%, 80%, 85%, 90%, 95% and 100% in the BMCC. There's also a histogram now to help with exposure along with some other updates like more white balance options and shutter angles.
chrisser1976 wrote:Is the BMCC 4K recording RAW yet ?

Yes. The cameras have also been updated with several compressed versions of Prores if you need longer recording times.

Jules Bushell

PostWed Sep 03, 2014 12:25 pm

What's this BMCC 4K, I keep hearing? You got my hopes up!

It's BMPC 4K (Blackmagic Production Camera) ;)

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Chris Tritschler

PostWed Sep 03, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks for bringing me up to date guys !

Chris Tritschler

PostWed Sep 03, 2014 6:11 pm

Ah so they now have a 5% range - that must be about a 3/4 of a stop is it ?

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 03, 2014 6:20 pm

chrisser1976 wrote:Ah so they now have a 5% range - that must be about a 3/4 of a stop is it ?

From 100% to 50% is the equivalent of one stop less, so I believe at the lowest camera zebra setting you can make, 75% is a half stop reduction in exposure. John Brawley mentioned this in another thread if memory serves me correctly. 95% would be only a tenth of a stop less light.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Blaine Russom

PostThu Sep 04, 2014 1:35 am

You guys are amazing. Just wanted to say that. 8-)

John Brawley

PostThu Sep 04, 2014 10:36 am

chrisser1976 wrote:Yes that was my experience - perhaps it's out of date now - this was on the 4K model in early March of this year. The zebras just stayed on. I can't remember if I was using them for skin or whites now. Also the real-world dynamic range was nowhere near what was claimed. There seems to be a tendency to only protect the highlights - I was trained to set your skin @ 70-75% (67% for mid ethnic tones) then protect the highlights through either compression/limiting (like Sony's DCC)

It's really important to understand the zebras are based on LINEAR sensor data and ignore ISO settings. None of thoe old rules apply when using linear zebras...they are really more of a tuneable sensor clipping indicator

So 70% isn't like 70% in REC 709 because that isn't a LINEAR space.

Linear based Zebras mean 50% would show at one stop down from clipping....

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

AlexCianc

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 9:11 am

Hi guys,

today I shot some footage for a corporate with my BMCC. At a certain point (10% battery) I changed the external battery.

So I turned off the camera, I changed the battery and I turned it on again.

And... the low bar disappeared! O_O The one with histogram, meters, ecc.

Now my display is like it was before, just with the tiny bar (ASA, shutter...) on top instead at bottom.

Someone had this kind of stuff?

Do you know how could I fix it?
info@acfilmmaker.com
www.acfilmmaker.com

LennartBöwering

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 9:24 am

AlexCianc wrote:Hi guys,

today I shot some footage for a corporate with my BMCC. At a certain point (10% battery) I changed the external battery.

Now my display is like it was before, just with the tiny bar (ASA, shutter...) on top instead at bottom.

As stated in the Firmware-Release note: Swipe upwards from the bottom of the screen and the Bar will appear, swipe down to hide it.
On Manual lenses you can also use the Iris Button do so.

AlexCianc

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 9:31 am

LennartBöwering wrote:
AlexCianc wrote:Hi guys,

As stated in the Firmware-Release note: Swipe upwards from the bottom of the screen and the Bar will appear, swipe down to hide it.
On Manual lenses you can also use the Iris Button do so.

Thanks Lennart! ;-)
info@acfilmmaker.com
www.acfilmmaker.com
Previous

Return to Cinematography