Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

sean mclennan

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 8:58 pm

@ Rune: You should NOT be waiting on a camera to tell that story. Rent/beg/borrow any camera you can and shoot the story while you can.

muratcangokce

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 10:04 pm

sean mclennan wrote:@ Rune: You should NOT be waiting on a camera to tell that story. Rent/beg/borrow any camera you can and shoot the story while you can.

@rune: AGREED!
www.muratcan.film

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Felix Steinhardt wrote:My retailer told me last week that from 17 preorders, only 4 are left.
People are turning away...I don´t but not much longer!

Yeah, I also jumped up in the queue with my reseller. I guess it's totally understandable to jump ship and go with an alternative, as there have been so many delays and so little news, and when there have been news they were delayed as well. I will stick with my pre-order for now, I just hope I will get my camera in time to shoot my next project in February :oops: Here's to hoping BMD has some serious production capacity once they're back at it.
Last edited by Christian Schmeer on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

David Chapman

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Where did you guys order from? B&H refuse to give me any kind of queue or place in line. They say they don't know how many orders they have either. Sounds odd.

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 10:27 pm

davechap wrote:Where did you guys order from? B&H refuse to give me any kind of queue or place in line. They say they don't know how many orders they have either. Sounds odd.

I have ordered from CVP, a UK based reseller. So far they've been very responsive and professional.
www.christianschmeer.com

bhook

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 11:17 pm

Ship my camera or the dog gets it!!!!

blackhillfilms

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 11:52 pm

I've just emailed the cast and crew for my upcoming independent feature to say I am postponing the shoot till early April, based on a rumour that the cameras won't be shipped till March/April. It was a bit embarrassing having to postpone the shoot because of a rumour, but as we don't have an update, a rumour is the next best thing... it would be nice to know whether the rumour is overly optimistic, so that i can let them know. (this is the 4th time I've postponed the shoot!)

PaulDelVecchio

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 11:59 pm

mhood wrote:Ship my camera or the dog gets it!!!!

Poor puppy. Please don't hurt it. :cry:
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 12:03 am

blackhillfilms wrote:I've just emailed the cast and crew for my upcoming independent feature to say I am postponing the shoot till early April, based on a rumour that the cameras won't be shipped till March/April. It was a bit embarrassing having to postpone the shoot because of a rumour, but as we don't have an update, a rumour is the next best thing... it would be nice to know whether the rumour is overly optimistic, so that i can let them know. (this is the 4th time I've postponed the shoot!)

I really would have used another camera. It's not worth waiting. Is it a budgetary constraint? Can you rent it in your area? I know of a place by me renting it for less than $200/day so you should check by you to see. Of course, if you're shooting for more than 15 days, it might not make sense financially to rent but I wouldn't put your film on hold for a camera.

You have to ask yourself... do you want to be a filmmaker or camera collector. Worry more about the content than the equipment. Equipment might satisfy an immediate desire, but think long term.

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 12:24 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
blackhillfilms wrote:I've just emailed the cast and crew for my upcoming independent feature to say I am postponing the shoot till early April, based on a rumour that the cameras won't be shipped till March/April. It was a bit embarrassing having to postpone the shoot because of a rumour, but as we don't have an update, a rumour is the next best thing... it would be nice to know whether the rumour is overly optimistic, so that i can let them know. (this is the 4th time I've postponed the shoot!)

I really would have used another camera. It's not worth waiting. Is it a budgetary constraint? Can you rent it in your area? I know of a place by me renting it for less than $200/day so you should check by you to see. Of course, if you're shooting for more than 15 days, it might not make sense financially to rent but I wouldn't put your film on hold for a camera.

You have to ask yourself... do you want to be a filmmaker or camera collector. Worry more about the content than the equipment. Equipment might satisfy an immediate desire, but think long term.

I was considering renting as well if I don't get the camera in time, but I am not sure any hiring company in London has the BMCC yet and if one does, it'll probably on loan every day for the next year. :? I am shooting a project for a photography competition, which includes creating a "Magnum In-Motion Essay". I need RAW for what I want to do with this particular project and I have already invested in SSDs and a BMCC specific external battery, so really, it needs to be a BMCC. It would just be a shame spending all that money on renting the camera that I would otherwise have used to buy the damn thing :roll:
www.christianschmeer.com

blackhillfilms

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 1:04 am

Problem is I already purchased a $3,500 Zeiss 15mm lens with a Canon EF mount, plus other accessories, for this particular camera, so I think I'll have to wait... and I don't think these cameras can be hired in Australia... it's a self funded film so I can't afford to just go off and buy another camera while I wait for the BMCC... Never mind, I have learnt from this never to buy anything unless it's actually in the store and I can carry it home with me....

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 1:13 am

blackhillfilms wrote:Problem is I already purchased a $3,500 Zeiss 15mm lens with a Canon EF mount, plus other accessories, for this particular camera, so I think I'll have to wait... and I don't think these cameras can be hired in Australia... it's a self funded film so I can't afford to just go off and buy another camera while I wait for the BMCC... Never mind, I have learnt from this never to buy anything unless it's actually in the store and I can carry it home with me....

I hear you. It gets complicated in those circumstances. It's too bad. I'm trying to be patient myself but these delays are killing me. I've never been this way about any camera really, but the BMCC in my eyes is such a game changer (note I said IN MY EYES - my opinion) for me, that the wait is little tough. As I've said before, I've wanted, for a long time now, a camera that has better color sampling than your 8-bit DSLRs and when I saw what BMD was doing with this, I knew I wanted it right away.

Anyways, hopefully we'll get some news that we want to hear very soon.

Bill Rich

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 1:51 am

Roger that Paul.. That's why I'm still waiting on my BMCC.. It looks like the update is in the works..
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

John Brawley

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 2:11 am

[quote="blackhillfilms"]... and I don't think these cameras can be hired in Australia... /quote]

Pretty sure Lemac have one in rentals.

JB.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

bhook

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 2:26 am

Rent a $3,000.00 camera? What sort of strangeness is this? :?

Nick Bedford

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 2:30 am

Wouldn't it be frustrating to have to rent the camera you ordered months ago.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

bhook

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 2:33 am

"Frustrating" is certainly one of the words one could use... :lol:

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 2:35 am

Yeah, renting a $3000 cam that you ordered months ago can be a bit frustrating. Makes you want to slap a puppy.

I'm kidding. I love dogs. I would never. How could you with this face?

Nick Bedford

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 2:37 am

mhood wrote:"Frustrating" is certainly one of the words one could use... :lol:

Maddening?

bhook

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 2:40 am

Maybe we should start a list of words that describe how we are feeling: I'll add "infuriated".

And only BMD can save the Dachshund puppy...either I get my BMC or the baby gets it. :twisted:

dennysb

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 3:26 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:Yeah, renting a $3000 cam that you ordered months ago can be a bit frustrating. Makes you want to slap a puppy.

I'm kidding. I love dogs. I would never. How could you with this face?

That is an adorable puppy and no-one could hurst such thing with those eyes :D

mastroiani

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 3:35 am

God damn I am in bad mood! :mrgreen:
Attachments
original.jpg
original.jpg (72.72 KiB) Viewed 14893 times

dennysb

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 3:37 am

blackhillfilms wrote:Problem is I already purchased a $3,500 Zeiss 15mm lens with a Canon EF mount, plus other accessories, for this particular camera, so I think I'll have to wait... and I don't think these cameras can be hired in Australia... it's a self funded film so I can't afford to just go off and buy another camera while I wait for the BMCC... Never mind, I have learnt from this never to buy anything unless it's actually in the store and I can carry it home with me....

You could rent a RED scarlet perhaps shoot-it at 3K, can even do 48fps for slightly slow-mo clips. The crop factor will be better (wider) so not sure if that is an issue

Taikonaut

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 4:16 am

mhood wrote:I have one question regarding costs and some of you might find it pertinent: When was the last time you rented an ink jet printer? Most of you lived through the desktop revolution and saw what it did to the printing industry...this is deja vu all over again. Did you notice when the online suite landed in your living room? Does it fit in your lap now? Anyone with $3K can now make movies out of their carry on case. Everybody is a star.

:D

Actually a lot less when you consider dSLR.
Our university in NW England hired a production company, a team of two, all the way from London some 350 miles. They showed up with a Canon 650D, an external recorder, some tripods, bingo they are a star. What is more daft is they have people in the university who can do a better job and cheaper with better gears but they won't justify paying their own staff.

Taikonaut

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 4:38 am

I have to postpone several skin flicks before the MFT mount was announced forcing me to switch :(
If the EF mount was shipped as promised I would have stayed with that.
Would have been a great opportunity to demonstrate skin tones instead of letting boring bloggers jump the queu getting theirs first with their crappy arty farty examples that best be forgotten :roll:

Not surprise people fed up waiting and jumping ship. Have this feeling BMD is biting off more than they can chew. They simply could not manufacture more than a hundred cameras in 12 months before they would move on to something else and would welcome more people to back out from their preorders to a more manageable size.

Jarateng

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 4:40 am

Knock knock knock " anybody home ? Grant , Christine , hallow .........

Nick Bedford

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 4:46 am

Luckily I haven't committed any projects officially as I'm waiting on this damn camera, but I do have some which I'd rather not wait AGES to shoot as they have a general use by date (band related).

It would save a lot of cost if I just could get my damn unit. Two of them I already essentially have the lighting gear for (minimal to say the least), and I only have a 5D Mark III to shoot video on right now.

Taikonaut

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 4:48 am

I think the three ghosts should pay Grant a visit this Christmas.

Cameron Downing

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 4:52 am

Jarateng wrote:Knock knock knock " anybody home ? Grant , Christine , hallow .........

Nah, you're doing the summoning wrong, you have to say their name three times. It's just like Beetlejuice. ;)
http://vimeo.com/user3593427

David

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 4:55 am

camerondowning wrote:
Jarateng wrote:Knock knock knock " anybody home ? Grant , Christine , hallow .........

Nah, you're doing the summoning wrong, you have to say their name three times. It's just like Beetlejuice. ;)

Rubbish... you have to say it 3 times in FRONT OF THE MIRROR!!! Don't you know anything?
Last edited by David on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Daniel
Dilettante

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 4:55 am

mhood wrote:Rent a $3,000.00 camera? What sort of strangeness is this? :?

Rental houses here have DSLRs (some that cost less than a BMCC) available for rental.. doesn't seem that strange to me. Even if everyone did have their BMCC's, i'm sure there would be guys doing the odd show that needed an extra cam for a couple of days or something.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

brilliantimage

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 6:54 am

Hi

You all know that we are still trying to resolve the sensor issue, I would like to remind you that we are still not happy with our tests but things are looking up. I assure you that we are working as fast as we can to get production going again. A few of you are frustrated with the delays but we are the most disappointed by the way this is taking longer than we anticipated. I really appreciate those of you who are really rallying behind us as we navigate though this tedious process. We are doing everything possible to retain your trust and your business. We, at Blackmagic Designs sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused due to this unexpected situation.

Once again, things are looking up!. More update possibly next week.

Blabla... (Grant)

I don't think the much awaited update is far from the above... Miss you Costa!
Julius Barnabas

Jesuan Soriano

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 8:31 am

Well renting is not a bad option...but....do rental houses have an actual camera??? Here in spain you "can rent" (avaliable in december... :cry: ) the BMCC for 74€, about 96 $USD. So it's not that bad...I don't know what includes this package since there is no more information...but if yo udon't have your camera you can rent it... or you can rent an Alexa for 1140€ a day :lol:

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Albert N. Romero

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 9:40 am

Jesuan wrote:Well renting is not a bad option...but....do rental houses have an actual camera??? Here in spain you "can rent" (avaliable in december... :cry: ) the BMCC for 74€, about 96 $USD. So it's not that bad...I don't know what includes this package since there is no more information...but if yo udon't have your camera you can rent it... or you can rent an Alexa for 1140€ a day :lol:

Jesus

Where in spain? Barna or madrid?

Look in berlin, the price of the red one... http://www.dv-kameraverleih.de/RedOne.htm

Tom Sefton

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 9:43 am

Something's gone wrong!
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Joaquin Torrents

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 9:53 am

[/quote]

Look in berlin, the price of the red one... http://www.dv-kameraverleih.de/RedOne.htm[/quote]

Those are crazy prices! In Spain renting a Red is between 300 and 450 euros per day! If I could see this rental prices in Spain probably I would never need to buy any camera.
Joaquin Torrents

Jesuan Soriano

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 10:02 am

Albert N. Romero wrote:
Jesuan wrote:Well renting is not a bad option...but....do rental houses have an actual camera??? Here in spain you "can rent" (avaliable in december... :cry: ) the BMCC for 74€, about 96 $USD. So it's not that bad...I don't know what includes this package since there is no more information...but if yo udon't have your camera you can rent it... or you can rent an Alexa for 1140€ a day :lol:

Jesus

Look in berlin, the price of the red one... http://www.dv-kameraverleih.de/RedOne.htm

Ovide dot com . 89 € euros a day? well.... now the R1 is $4k and BMCC $3k...so it's quite fair...but 99 a day for an epic and a few accessories...I can' believe it.... it has to be a scam or something :D

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Soeren Mueller

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 11:02 am

Oh well.. it's "DV Kameraverleih" - they had those prices even long before the recent price drops - but you have to take it with a grain of salt. It's not a "real" rental house.. it's more guerilla style, they have (afaik) 1 RED One MX and 1 RED Epic.. and they sent it to you via DHL and you sent it back. It comes in a big plasticy case and it's always a gamble if everything works.. you have no on set/on site service etc etc... you get what you pay for basically!
And of course it's always booked weeks or even months in advance. I rented their EPIC once on a no budget shoot for a few days.. it was so stressful because of DHL arriving too late etc. we had to drive way out to their depot to collect the cam.. the lenses they rented with the cam were super cheap as well but basically old 16mm lenses.. some of them dented etc. .. really wild stuff. So a total gamble if you ain't got the budget to go with a "real" rental service. So you shouldn't take their prices as a benchmark of any sort ;)

Jesuan Soriano

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 11:13 am

If you have time but no money, it seems a funny way to get to film with an epic.

:D

Jesus.
Jesus Soriano

Albert N. Romero

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 11:21 am

Yeah, ovide and masquevideo are too expensive... And i think since they rise up the VAT is much more.
There is a rental in hospitalet, its very very cheap, but i dont remember if the have cameras and the name, but if i find it ill write it

Agree with Soeren, but for us is a bit easier, we didnt have any problem with timing. But just that. Light equipment goes by cine25p. A bit more expensive, but cheaper than in barna.

bhook

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 11:35 am

Jesus

And which camera will they rent more? The BMC of course...the Alexa's picture just isn't 10X better. IMO, rental houses are in trouble here...If BMD can deliver the BMC that is.

Albert N. Romero

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 11:53 am

found it, another light
http://www.anotherlight.es/index.html
they havent cameras for rent, but maybe is interesting 4 u cos it´s cheap

Ryan Best

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 11:54 am

Just spoke to my reseller and they were so vague (more so than any of the previous 5 conversations) in regards to the information they have received from BMD - everything was very negative - I know a few guys on here have had not-so-positive convos with their respective resellers, but that phone call has raised real concern for me - and as much as I would like to own the BMCC - this situation needs to become a lot more transparent.

A DELAYED PRODUCT IS ONE THING, BUT DELAYED UPDATES ARE TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE

BLACKMAGIC DESIGN - PULL YOUR FINGER OUT

AND LONG LIVE COSTA!!!

Joerg Plechinger

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Ryan Best wrote: ... this situation needs to become a lot more transparent.

+1

Tom Sefton

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 12:49 pm

Ryan Best wrote:Just spoke to my reseller and they were so vague (more so than any of the previous 5 conversations) in regards to the information they have received from BMD - everything was very negative - I know a few guys on here have had not-so-positive convos with their respective resellers, but that phone call has raised real concern for me - and as much as I would like to own the BMCC - this situation needs to become a lot more transparent.

Without speculating too much, no matter what the state of the camera, the sensor, the production line or the state of the weather, Blackmagic are never ever going to post news on this forum that would possibly make prospective buyers cancel their orders. As much as we all want them to be transparent and honest about the delays, they will NEVER own up to the true state of the problems they are having. Put it this way, if a statement was released in July (the original promised date of delivery) saying that the cameras wouldn't be shipped en masse until early 2013 and that simple firmware problems would still need fixing, how many people would have cancelled?

I am cancelling 2 of our orders on Friday if we don't receiving a specific delivery date or an idea of how many cameras will ship to which market. I am keeping one order, and that will remain unless we find out the cameras aren't coming until Q2 2013. RED offers in the UK are very tempting at the moment.
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Ryan Best

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 1:12 pm

I know it would be a bad business call on their end (where cancellations are concerned), but maybe the long term effects of this 'BMCC SAGA' might mean announcements about new products from BMD maybe taken with a pinch of salt, not to mention those who are in 'no-mans land' waiting for an item they've actually paid for (ME).

Tom... In regards to RED deals ***in the UK***, could you point me in the right direction... I've been looking, but I haven't come across anything... Worth having a look...

cengizözgök

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Joerg Plechinger wrote:
Ryan Best wrote: ... this situation needs to become a lot more transparent.

+1

+1

Tom Sefton

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 1:16 pm

If you contact me via the email listed below I can pass on the information that we have received from RED UK. It would be bad form to list an advert for RED on a BM forum!

Obviously they are more expensive that a BMCC, and then require additional equipment, but for what they can deliver it is very tempting (and the fact that you wouldn't have to pay to hire a camera to replace one that is already purchased but not received).
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

AJ.infinite

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 1:32 pm

I also have a 480gb SanDisk Extreme 480gb ssd (brand New) for sale, along with my BMC cage

Jarateng

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 1:42 pm

David wrote:
camerondowning wrote:

Rubbish... you have to say it 3 times in FRONT OF THE MIRROR!!! Don't you know anything?

LOL

surely. What do we do if the new year turns without this cam in our hands ?
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography