Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jarateng

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 1:44 pm

maccane wrote:
Joerg Plechinger wrote:
Ryan Best wrote: ... this situation needs to become a lot more transparent.

A DELAYED PRODUCT IS ONE THING, BUT DELAYED UPDATES ARE TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE

+1

+1

Well said !!

bhook

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Jarateng wrote:What do we do if the new year turns without this cam in our hands ?

I was told that I would get all of my $3,000.00 back. That would make it decision time all over again for me.

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 2:19 pm

I hope the next update will be good news. A late update doesn't necessarily mean bad news though, as the last update was late as well and it was a rather positive one. I just hope BMD has resolved the sensor issues and has started production again :?
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Jesuan Soriano

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 2:37 pm

Albert N. Romero wrote:found it, another light
http://www.anotherlight.es/index.html
they havent cameras for rent, but maybe is interesting 4 u cos it´s cheap

Hey Albert!! Gràcies nano!!! Luckly lighting is not a problem since we have some friends who let us their equipment for a very cheap price, so it's not a problem :) And I remember renting some stuff in Barna in a small rental house, I don't remember their name right now. :)

And yes delayed updates are inacceptable, maybe they are bussy checking all people has their full name filled in 8-) This forum is becoming useless since we are all talking bout resellers and stuff, wich is cool and nice to chat to people...but we should be talking about the camera and we have nothing to say about it six months after the initial release date...so it's quite dissapointing.

JEsus
Jesus Soriano

danallen82

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Any updates on the shipping? The suspense is killing me.

Jesuan Soriano

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 2:45 pm

so...
Attachments
updates.jpg
updates.jpg (42.59 KiB) Viewed 16149 times
Jesus Soriano

rune

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 3:41 pm

A Travis D wrote:@ Rune. That sounds like an amazing story! Keep us posted!!!! Deep down I hope you end up filming it now, as opposed to waiting for your new camera. Even made on an Iphone, I'm sure we would all love her story/your film. - Your Friend

Thanks and yes I'm working away with a handful of small rigs. Maybe I should just dust off my PXL2000 as the BMCC appears to be a "Wag The Dog" situation... :?

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 11:45 pm

Good morning, Australia! Great day for an update if you ask me :D
www.christianschmeer.com

Nick Bedford

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 1:16 am

How to alienate your customers 101.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

melissa lancaster

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 1:26 am

cschmeer wrote:Good morning, Australia! Great day for an update if you ask me :D

I AGREE!!! :)

burkettphoto

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 1:26 am

hey everyone,

i'm canceling my order... i purchased all kinds of accessories for my camera after researching batteries, lens, and mounts for it. i'm willing to package these never been used items and selling them to someone for a deal. here is a jpeg of everything i'm selling all together... i don't have all the original boxes i tossed em but nothing has been used. make an offer! burkettphoto@gmail.com

Screen Shot 2012-11-27 at 8.21.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-11-27 at 8.21.34 PM.png (197.11 KiB) Viewed 15746 times

muratcangokce

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 1:31 am

Nick Bedford wrote:How to alienate your customers 101.

or Intro. to losing Customers 101.

When I saw a thread about firmwares or anything else about camera's software I start to laugh unconsciously because I is quite funny to talking about a camera which we don't see yet and we won't be able to use it until Q1 of 2013...
www.muratcan.film

Christian Schmeer

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 1:46 am

muratcangokce wrote:

Cancelations sure seem to have increased over the past week. A month ago I had big hopes BMD would give everything to finally resolve the issues and get mass production running before December. Well, now it's almost December and I'm starting to get a bit anxious... :|
www.christianschmeer.com

sruchelli

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 1:54 am

Hello, do you have any new info. about Camera shipping. It´s been more than 10 days since the last update. Do you know if any of these new shipping is for Europe?

muratcangokce

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 1:56 am

cschmeer wrote:
muratcangokce wrote:

Cancelations sure seem to have increased over the past week. A month ago I had big hopes BMD would give everything to finally resolve the issues and get mass production running before December. Well, now it's almost December and I'm starting to get a bit anxious... :|

In addition, people from the reseller of BMD for Turkey said, they are expecting to import some cameras March 2013 and it is the best chance they believe, so it drives me crazy! There will be NAB at April, for God's sake! How huge a fiasco it is gonna be? I bought damn SSD, Switronix PB70 etc...
www.muratcan.film

Christian Schmeer

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 2:15 am

muratcangokce wrote:(...) I bought damn SSD, Switronix PB70 etc...

Same here... not exactly a great feeling, knowing that I already invested part of my project budget in accessories when, regarding the camera itself, there's no light at the end of the tunnel (yet).

I need to receive the BMCC within the next 2 months, otherwise it will be too late to shoot the project and incorporate the camera in the budget. I'd have to cancel the pre-order and sell the accessories...
www.christianschmeer.com

10s

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 2:18 am

I hope I'm wrong but IMO, No News = Bad News. If there was Good News, we would have already heard about it. Obviously plans have not played out as hoped for. I don't think anyone is really at fault, after all putting together a new camera production line is very challenging, especially when it requires new technical processes... but nevertheless, it would be nice to hear the new bad News so we can judge our own future production schedules and make sound business decisions.

muratcangokce

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 2:26 am

differences between two different companies' customer cares...
Attachments
Ekran Resmi 2012-11-28 04.21.01.png
Ekran Resmi 2012-11-28 04.21.01.png (21.11 KiB) Viewed 15684 times
www.muratcan.film

David Chapman

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 2:33 am

I'm not planning on canceling my preorder at all. I'm shooting with a 7D and we rent a c300 at work as needed. We also just ordered a Scarlet. Still have hopes to shoot with the BMCC sooner than later, but I'm sure not planning any shoots around it. Not planning on any shoots with the Scarlet until it arrives and we test some.

I feel a little sad when I hear creatives putting their work on hold and letting a piece of gear dictate what they do. There are some great cameras out there and if you're not compositing or doing high end post production, who cares if its 4:2:0 h.264 or otherwise. 28 Days Later was shot on an 8bit SD camcorder (Canon XL-1). A 60d and Rebel T3i can load Magic Lanturn! The tools are out there now!

I say let the idea, as fragile as ideas are, come forth and capture it on whatever tools you have right now. Rent, borrow, buy it and return it within 30 days (kidding) and don't let that dream die for the sake of a tool.

-DC
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

muratcangokce

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 2:43 am

davechap wrote:I'm not planning on canceling my preorder at all. I'm shooting with a 7D and we rent a c300 at work as needed. We also just ordered a Scarlet. Still have hopes to shoot with the BMCC sooner than later, but I'm sure not planning any shoots around it. Not planning on any shoots with the Scarlet until it arrives and we test some.

I feel a little sad when I hear creatives putting their work on hold and letting a piece of gear dictate what they do. There are some great cameras out there and if you're not compositing or doing high end post production, who cares if its 4:2:0 h.264 or otherwise. 28 Days Later was shot on an 8bit SD camcorder (Canon XL-1). A 60d and Rebel T3i can load Magic Lanturn! The tools are out there now!

I say let the idea, as fragile as ideas are, come forth and capture it on whatever tools you have right now. Rent, borrow, buy it and return it within 30 days (kidding) and don't let that dream die for the sake of a tool.

-DC

Well, I am totally agree with you Dave... I have a 7D and I can access 5dmk3, fs100, fs700 as well and I am already shooting some projects with them but some of my next projects are very suitable to work with BMCC and I postponed them already to January because resellers and a few more said we can get our cameras maybe until end of the January but now they says oh, sorry for countries like Turkey because we have to make money with selling our camera to superpowers like US, UK etc. and you can get yours maybe at March. Now I am trying to make them rightful but I think it is impossible. Yes, of course all people who ordered, of will be ordered BMCC from these countries should get their ones, but when these countries had 2000 order for example, Turkey will have just 30 at the most... I think they could send just 5-10 cameras to each of countries such as Turkey...
www.muratcan.film

PaulDelVecchio

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 2:43 am

davechap wrote:28 Days Later was shot on an 8bit SD camcorder (Canon XL-1).

I just finished watching it. Funny you mention it. And it wasn't even 24p. The Canon XL1 was 60i so it's got jaggies and everything. How much resolution do you think that was? 300 lines approximately after conversion? I asked about 15-20 normal movie-goers if they noticed a difference in quality from that movie to "normal" movies. They said they didn't. Of course, I did, but we have tech that's WAY better than that now.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

David Chapman

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 2:47 am

Haha, yeah no one realizes. I sold that camera in 2008 for about $1k. Resolution was about 550 lines (it was broadcast quality) and yeah, def no 23.976 or 24. Just 29.97 baby! It was 4:2:2, though.
David Chapman

PaulDelVecchio

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 2:50 am

davechap wrote:Haha, yeah no one realizes. I sold that camera in 2008 for about $1k. Resolution was about 550 lines (it was broadcast quality) and yeah, def no 23.976 or 24. Just 29.97 baby! It was 4:2:2, though.

Well, but after the conversion to 24p from 60i, the resolution took a hit so it was pretty soft. I still have my DVX100a. What a camera. I can't bring myself to sell it. Good memories. It'll end up on my desk one day as a "display showcase item" once I get a bigger office. :lol:

Chidi Ozieh

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 2:51 am

I am losing hope with this camera. Seriously considering canceling my order and just waiting for the camera to be available off the shelf. I feel like the lack of DAILY communication in a situation like this, with so many people who really want a product from BMD smacks of disrespect. Communication is a key factor in business. Very unprofessional behavior from this company. Makes me wonder if I do "hang on" and wait for this camera...how would I be treated if there was a technical fault and I needed tech support...the only saving grace for the BMCC is that there is no other camera at this price point with this kind of image output...especially for an indie film maker like me. NAB may change that though...will wait until Jan 1st...if nothing has shipped and we are still in the same situation then I will cancel.

I REALLY hope BMD are taking note of the general tone in this forum. People have long memories, especially when they have put money for the camera AND accessories down based on faith that a company can deliver what it promises its customers. It is just basic business practice.

Ryan McCarvill

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 2:53 am

Was talking to a friend of mine about Zombie movies the other day, he said he just watched 28 days later on DVD and that it looked really bad, he's not technical.

Might have looked OK when converted to film and projected, also might have looked OK at home when everything was SD, but people now notice it when they are used to HD.

PaulDelVecchio

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 2:56 am

Ryan McCarvill wrote:Was talking to a friend of mine about Zombie movies the other day, he said he just watched 28 days later on DVD and that it looked really bad, he's not technical.

Might have looked OK when converted to film and projected, also might have looked OK at home when everything was SD, but people now notice it when they are used to HD.

It didn't look good in the theater out of a film projector. Not compared to what we have now. I remember thinking the picture was really soft.

Anyways, I still would like to hear something. I'm itching to get to know the cam better and do some tests before I use it in production.

PaulM

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 5:58 am

Chidi Ozieh wrote:I am losing hope with this camera. Seriously considering canceling my order and just waiting for the camera to be available off the shelf. I feel like the lack of DAILY communication in a situation like this, with so many people who really want a product from BMD smacks of disrespect.

You expect daily updates? What do you want to know, what the engineers are having for lunch each day?

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 6:08 am

@Ryan -- I'm pretty certain shooting the bulk of "28 Days Later" with a prosumer 1/3" 3-CCD miniDV PAL camcorder was a creative choice by the filmmakers.

The XL1 was paired with an adapter and the crew used Canon EC and EJ-type bayonet-mount 2/3" prime lenses. This was intended to give the meat of the movie a muddy, you-are-there, timely video look. The flashback sequence was shot on super 8mm (get it? 'cuz it's old) and the aftermath, when England is recovering and hope begins to eek back into the survivors, it's Kodak super 35mm film on Arriflex cameras and Ultra Primes capturing lovely rolling country sides, bright blue skies, lush colorful grass and bright lovely flowers and healthy skin tones. I'm pretty sure Boyle and Dod Mantle knew what they were doing.

As opposed, of course, to shooting the whole thing on video because that's all you could afford. There's lots of reasons to go in a particular direction, lots of different tools, and the murky video visual language they were going for in "28 Days Later" was inspired, ballsy and appropriate, I think. When the 35mm hits, it is shocking how beautiful "hope" can feel...and you feel it with the characters as that jet flies overhead and they jump and down, laughing and crying. I expect this kind of experience from Danny Boyle. It's called "tone" and I felt the same way about "127 Hours," another mixed-media journey from the award-winning duo.
Last edited by Jason R. Johnston on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

PaulDelVecchio

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 6:24 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:I"m pretty certain shooting the bulk of "28 Days Later" with a prosumer of 1/3" 3-CCD miniDV PAL camcorder was a creative choice by the filmmakers. The XL1 was paired with an adapter and the crew used Canon EC and EJ-type bayonet-mount 2/3" prime lenses. This was intended to give the meat of the movie a muddy, you-are-there, timely video look. The flashback sequence was shot on super 8mm (get it?) and the aftermath, when England is recovering and hope begins to eek back into the survivors, it's Kodak super 35mm film on Arriflex cameras capturing lovely rolling country sides, bright blue skies, lush colorful grass and bright lovely flowers and healthy skin tones. I'm pretty sure Boyle and Dod Mantle knew what they were doing. As opposed, of course, to shooting the whole thing on video because that's all you could afford. There's lots of reasons to go in a particular direction, lots of different tools, and the murky video visual language they were going for in "28 Days Later" was inspired, ballsy and appropriate, I think. When the 35mm hits, it is shocking how beautiful "hope" can feel...and you feel it with the characters as that jet flies overhead and they jump and down, laughing and crying. I expect this kind of experience from Danny Boyle. It's called "tone" and I felt the same way about "127 Hours," another mixed-media journey from the award-winning duo.

I'm very aware of the reasons for them shooting on mini-dv and also shooting the ending on film. I was just commenting on the look of the Canon XL1 converted to 24p and projected in the theater. It was a very deliberate choice made by very talented filmmakers.

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 6:25 am

Paul, you're awesome. I know you know. I was addressing Ryan. Sorry for the confusion.

Ryan McCarvill

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 6:33 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:Paul, you're awesome. I know you know. I was addressing Ryan. Sorry for the confusion.

I know why they shot what they did, another reason being that it was very expensive to shut down London so they could throw around a dozen or so XL1's and do it very quickly.

I was simply replying to the comment that audiences didn't notice the quality of it, by saying that a friend of mine did, and perhaps audiences now adays are more educated/used to HD. I remember when I watched it the only thing that stood out for me was that the lady's hair and makeup was always immaculate.

Didn't once slate a production team that since went on to win an Oscar.

+ I'm awesome as well.

Peace/

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 6:37 am

Ryan McCarvill wrote:
Jason R. Johnston wrote:+ I'm awesome as well.

Yes, you are. No worries.

People sure are snippy on this forum for some reason. <cough>update, please<cough> :D

Michael Sandiford

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 6:45 am

Ooh can I get in on the love in. I'm awesome as well!

This is what I love about the digital age now. We can instead make all these type of stylistic decisions in one camera. We can mix lenses. Shoot certain scenes in pro res/h264 whatever, with the video look, others in the full raw and then thanks to colouring programs and add on's like film convert, magic bullet or resolve. We can make all these decisions without having to source different equipment.

I think it's all great and awesome, just like all of us.

PaulDelVecchio

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 6:54 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:
Ryan McCarvill wrote:
Jason R. Johnston wrote:+ I'm awesome as well.

Yes, you are. No worries.

People sure are snippy on this forum for some reason. <cough>update, please<cough> :D

We're all awesome. :D Sorry, wasn't trying to be snippy. It's hard to know tone when it's just text. Plus, I'm not the best with my wording.

But I sure do want some good news!

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 6:56 am

Yes we are. Virtual hugs for everyone...even Costa. :)

Also, this digital stuff allows the poor little people (most of us in here) to go Hollywood without the big budgets, expensive gear, tons and tons of light and lots of crew. Like Coppola said in the 90's, and I paraphrase, that the next big film director will be some fat girl in Ohio who shoots a beautiful movie on her father's camcorder that wins a bunch of awards. It's true, and it's happening now.

Blackmagic Design is on the bleeding edge of that, whether the Cinema Camera becomes vaporware or not, the very idea of what they're teetering on the edge of is nothing short of picking up what RED failed to do four years ago: 3K for $3k. Minus the software, I think it's actually 2.5K for 1k, but I digress.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it...ifitevergetshere :D

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 7:00 am

Actually, I have a feeling the next update will be good news...but, I think that BMD is being careful to verify everything. Better late and truthful than early and backpeddling later.

Thomas Schumacher

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 8:11 am

When my hair loss began I thought I might have gone completely bald at the age of 44 which I didn't.

So if some superpower out there might be merciful there will be mass production of the BMC one day, but with every day my doubts get bigger that we'll get that camera even in Q1/2013 and for the advertised price tag.

If at all... (I mean look at my bald forehead).
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Ryan Best

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 8:40 am

+1

grinleon

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 9:01 am

Where is the camera Lebowski? :ugeek:
Leon Grin

Luke Armstrong

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 10:09 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
Ryan McCarvill wrote:Was talking to a friend of mine about Zombie movies the other day, he said he just watched 28 days later on DVD and that it looked really bad, he's not technical.

It didn't look good in the theater out of a film projector. Not compared to what we have now. I remember thinking the picture was really soft.

Anyways, I still would like to hear something. I'm itching to get to know the cam better and do some tests before I use it in production.

Yeah it didn't look great. I saw it at the time and thought it was odd looking. Danny Boyle himself points outt that the problem with DV resolution is that the eye is always looking for more detail, and so long as there is more detail in an image at a given moment than the eye can perceive it will stand up, but the moment there isn't the audience is going to feel a little removed from the experience because the illusion is broken.

Its funny how much these cameras have come on. Danny Boyle took a big risk with that movie. It did have a pretty low budget so it was a cost consideration. I recently shot a drama short on the AF101 and it looked fantastic projected in 2k - it was hard to tell the difference between it and any other camera when properly exposed. Of course the sensor is considerably larger...
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

matthijsliethof

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Last update has been some time now, even though this update promised an update the week after. That week is now two weeks. Just a sign of life would be nice :p

Jarrett Craig

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 1:45 pm

After "28 days", at least Boyle made "Sunshine" in beautiful 35mm. Went in a totally opposite direction as far as image. Just watched it again yesterday.

Oops, I got sidetracked. I think I came on here to complain about something and forgot what it was with all the great image making talk. A good distraction indeed.

Christine Peterson

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi guys,

Still haven't heard the update from Australia. We're working to get it for you asap.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Adrian Musto

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 3:57 pm

Hey everyone,

No news is good news IMO.

I jumped on the pre-order bandwagon a couple of weeks ago so I expect a long wait before I see my BMCC from CVP in the UK. I'm in no rush though, my Canon 5D MKIII is serving me well enough.

This whole thread is pretty amusing to read though I must say!

David Chapman

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks, Christine. We know you guys are doing your best and I'm grateful Black Magic is determined to put our a perfect product.

They could always put the blemished sensors in a body and call it a cool name and charge less... Sounds familiar? *cough* Scarlet.
David Chapman

matthijsliethof

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 5:15 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:Hi guys,

Still haven't heard the update from Australia. We're working to get it for you asap.

:) sign of life enough for me!

Jesuan Soriano

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 5:17 pm

Do you need a research to update??? I mean can you simply post how is right now the status on the building the camera? it's quite simple .

"hey guys, we are at the same point since last update" Said by Grand Petty.

Ok building and shipping a camera it's not that easy, i'm aware of that, but just posting a PROMISED update, it's not that difficult. BMD is really disapointing us, and they are damaging their image. It takes just 5 minutes to say something.

Jesus.
Jesus Soriano

Sam Meyer

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Jarrett wrote:After "28 days", at least Boyle made "Sunshine" in beautiful 35mm. Went in a totally opposite direction as far as image. Just watched it again yesterday.

Oops, I got sidetracked. I think I came on here to complain about something and forgot what it was with all the great image making talk. A good distraction indeed.

Sunshine is one of the most beautiful films then about 2/3rds of the way through it is like the writer just ran out of ideas and ruined it. Was such a disappointment.
Sam Meyer

Joerg Plechinger

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 6:10 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:Hi guys,

This is obviously a very embarrassing situation for you, Christine. Nobody seems to know anything. Even you at BMD ... So sad.

Nikolay Smirnov

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 6:31 pm

All this situation about delays looks like a big joke. Everyone at BMD understand that this is already a good camera as "it is" and shipping that quantity world wide will be impossible during autumn.

just kidding :geek:

but situation is killing me anyway :|
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography