Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Extrememedia

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 7:02 am

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are all munching over there!

nickdale

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 8:06 am

Sounds tasty :) lol

John Brawley

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 8:17 am

You might be frustrated. You have a right to be.

But you only demean yourself when you lower yourselves to this kind of drivel.

Lets not insult people. It's not going to get you what you want. And it's just bad manners.

Just remember you're insulting a real person. Temper your impatience however warranted it is.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 8:27 am

John Brawley wrote:You might be frustrated. You have a right to be.

Lets not insult people. It's not going to get you what you want. And it's just bad manners.

Just remember you're insulting a real person. Temper your impatience however warranted it is.

JB

I'm agreeing here with you John, BUT it's much easier to be the bigger man when you get your camera for free and the rest of us who PAID have nothing to show for it. I would be certain that you would be doing just the same thing that the guy's you are judging are doing if you were in the same boat... I say this as you HAVEN'T been the bigger man in the past with your judgemental posts and name calling. Do you remember calling us children for moaning in the past?

So yeah, when people RIGHTLY moan at BMD you are the first to jump to their defence... if people resort to name calling, then fine that is wrong... but ... pot, kettle, black my friend...

Peter Östlund

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 8:37 am

Yes we should keep our dignity here.
John, probably you know more than we do.
You might have some insight on what is happening, I mean, today, bad news are better than no news.

thanks

Peter Östlund fsf

Extrememedia

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 9:10 am

If ass munchin gets are cameras quicker than munch away!!!

Been workin 12 hour days and the scarlet is looking really really good about now. any reason why I should wait.

And John I was not name calling just trying a theory. cause being in the dark sucks when all you have is 8 bit cams. I shot a trailer recently with the red epic X and the Red One. Do you have any links of the comparisons between BMCC and Red.

Jason.

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 10:36 am

"Lets not insult people. It's not going to get you what you want. And it's just bad manners.

Just remember you're insulting a real person."

I couldn't agree more.

But then I too am a real person and every single day Grant sits in his office and asks himself if he's going to let me, the suppliers, the rental companies, the professionals and amateurs have an insight as to what is going on so as we can make informed decisions on which way to move forward and he says to himself "nah, let them wait", he is insulting us all and is himself being spectacularly ill mannered.

I did not ask Grant to make a camera.

He decided to make the BMCC and in his extensive PR he courted mine and other people's business.

I admire him for having had the balls to go for it in the first place but having stuck his head above the parapet he now appears to have retreated to his bunker leaving the likes of Christine to take the flack.

It's not right.

Jason

Alex Tissot

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 11:04 am

Jason. wrote:"Lets not insult people. It's not going to get you what you want. And it's just bad manners.

Just remember you're insulting a real person."

I couldn't agree more.

But then I too am a real person and every single day Grant sits in his office and asks himself if he's going to let me, the suppliers, the rental companies, the professionals and amateurs have an insight as to what is going on so as we can make informed decisions on which way to move forward and he says to himself "nah, let them wait", he is insulting us all and is himself being spectacularly ill mannered.

I did not ask Grant to make a camera.

He decided to make the BMCC and in his extensive PR he courted mine and other people's business.

I admire him for having had the balls to go for it in the first place but having stuck his head above the parapet he now appears to have retreated to his bunker leaving the likes of Christine to take the flack.

It's not right.

Jason

I LIKE
https://vimeo.com/user5198817

Ryan Best

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 11:09 am

every single day Grant sits in his office and asks himself if he's going to let me, the suppliers, the rental companies, the professionals and amateurs have an insight as to what is going on so as we can make informed decisions on which way to move forward

In 100% agreement with this...

As for this...

Hi! I'm still here. Still trying to get an update for you.

Pointless to aim the blame at Christine - she is following orders - and to be honest, it's not going to be on her say so when we get an update - Respect to Christine, she is in a difficult position and trying to keep the masses in the loop the best she can.

Let's aim this at the person responsible for this breakdown in communication, the person who knows the stance of this device, the expected shipping dates and the number of units that will be produced.

GRANT - as your customers, the people who have invested into the idea of owning this camera your company has created, stuck with you for several months throughout all the issues you have faced, spent money on third party accessories under the advice of your representatives, past up opportunities because of financial restraints of acquiring this camera and being unable to afford to rent another one on top of these initial costs - I have just one question...

DO WE NOT DESERVE BETTER???

c.carlos.n

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 11:32 am

Ryan Best wrote:Pointless to aim the blame at Christine - she is following orders - and to be honest, it's not going to be on her say so when we get an update - Respect to Christine, she is in a difficult position and trying to keep the masses in the loop the best she can.

Agreed!!!!!
Carlos E Núñez

Felix Steinhardt

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 11:39 am

I just used my budget to buy some more decent glass for our existing cameras.
Officially gave up on the BMCC. This thing is finished.

nickdale

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 12:17 pm

I have to say the camera is quite extraordinary, but when you look at the bigger picture the cost of kitting it out in order to use it usefully on the type of shoots I do brings the cost in very close to a C300 and having just shot a half feature on that I can honestly say that it is remarkable, sure you don't get RAW but then 9/10 do you need it? When I use my ALEXA, sure I use RAW but if I'm doing smaller scale stuff, I'm not so sure...

I think had BMCC managed to get this out the door before the new year they may have had a great go at it but I think that others in the market may catch up with them which may cause them an issue. I haven't quite cancelled my order yet, but I'm getting close, I think a C300 will be the way to go, maybe the C500 - I think finding that extra will be worth it.

I really want to get on board with this camera but other than the unfortunate production problems they are having I have a feeling that they are probably already working on the second generation camera.

Regards the updating thing, yeah I see peoples points, but if they have nothing to say they have nothing to say - I think everyones impatience is quite good though as people are genuinely excited for this unit so hopefully all of this crazy work they are doing will be worth it.

Bill Rich

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Listen guys.. Believe me.. I am as frustrated as you all are.. I still don't have my BMCC that I paid in full a long time ago.. I'm on the fence with the BMCC and looking at other cameras too. but I'm waiting it out for now.

Please don't trash Christine.. She has nothing to do with manufacturing the camera.. Heck she's not even in Australia!

Christine's here to help us and is subject to the wishes of her bosses at BMD.. I'm sure if she had the power to give us an update she would.. It's most likely that she isn't in the loop with what's going on with the BMCC either..

So please act like the professionals you are, and leave the poor girl alone! All this angst over a camera isn't worth it.. wait it out.. work with what you have.. or get another camera.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

nickdale

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Bill Rich wrote:Listen guys.. Believe me.. I am as frustrated as you all are.. I still don't have my BMCC that I paid in full a long time ago.. I'm on the fence with the BMCC and looking at other cameras too. but I'm waiting it out for now.

Please don't trash Christine.. She has nothing to do with manufacturing the camera.. Heck she's not even in Australia!

Christine's here to help us and is subject to the wishes of her bosses at BMD.. I'm sure if she had the power to give us an update she would.. It's most likely that she isn't in the loop with what's going on with the BMCC either..

So please act like the professionals you are, and leave the poor girl alone! All this angst over a camera isn't worth it.. wait it out.. work with what you have.. or get another camera.

Indeed - no need to trash anyone +1

wcapps1

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 1:12 pm

John Brawley wrote:You might be frustrated. You have a right to be.

JB

There was no personal attack and I did not insult her. This is business and business only. She is the "Community Relations Manager" and this company promised regular updates to customers about the progress of the camera. They lied plain and simple and to come on here a couple times, weeks after an update was promised and say, "we are working on getting you an update" is just ridiculous. I am just calling a spade a spade here. I said her update was a crock, and it was. They clearly don't care about their customers if that is how they choose to communicate. Respect is a two way street.
Wayne Capps
Reserve Productions
www.ReserveProductions.com

Antonio Rosiello

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 2:55 pm

so really there's nothing coming out on xmas to switch to?

Which are the other options? Let's make a list with costs and some main features. Some people don't seem to get we don't feel defrauded because of the delay in shipping the camera, but because of the horrible way BM is communicating with his costumers.

nickdale

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 2:57 pm

I like Bouks idea --- Lets get some comparisons going - would be really useful to see comparative costs etc for respective systems :)

muratcangokce

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 3:24 pm

alexvideo23 wrote:
maccane wrote:When we got a update this must be very good news
Grant can't tell the same story for the third time nobody will believe it , he knows that.
I wouldn't do it , telling the same story about the problems with the sensor that will sound like a joke..
I will wait to get better news so does Grant.....

No update means still no good news..and problems are in progress

SO Christine...
Still reading the forum...and no news since 3 weeks...
I think that Grant went on vacation :-)

yes you are right, there couldn't be any right time more than this to went vacation.
www.muratcan.film

Note Suwanchote

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 4:35 pm

a red epic dragon is enticing to me now haha
price is much greater but service and IQ should be high (if what they say is true)
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

Eric Santiago

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 5:19 pm

swaneon wrote:a red epic dragon is enticing to me now haha
price is much greater but service and IQ should be high (if what they say is true)

That doesnt even equate to the BMCC.
I have a RED Scarlet and that too is above and beyond the price range of the BMCC.
The EPIC-D will run you up to 35K and more if you dont have the eco-gear system in place.
Im at 20K total now and Ive just started with my Scarlet.

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 5:36 pm

There is nothing out there close enough except to the Ikonoskop which is 2 stops less in DR and about three times the price!! Unless you are looking for compressed you could find a Panasonic Af100 or Sony FS100 second hand in believable price point.. C100 is overpriced.. GH3 cheaper, but I hate shooting videos with a dslr =).. Red One is sold out

If I am ever gonna buy something other than the Cinema Camera, it would be the Ikonoskop.. Close to what I am looking for and I would have goon with that root by now but it is out of my price rang..

Margus Voll

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 6:05 pm

red one is not so good any more imo.

relatively old tech and big as hell.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Bill Rich

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 6:27 pm

I was looking at the Digital Bolex.. but it looks like they are a long way from a production model.. plus I'm not sure I like how they are using CF cards.. they are recommending a card that costs @ $500. for a single 120gb.. and since it's recording cinemaDNG you would need a bunch of them! no on-board battery.. a teeny-tiny LCD which will force you to HAVE to use an external LCD.. etc.. the BMCC seems like a far more efficient camera!

then there's the KineRAW S35.. which looks pretty good! it's $6K-9K depending the package you order.. the video looks pretty good for what I've seen.. the camera looks like a cross between a RED 1 and Alexa.. nice codecs options.. 12 bit 2K raw cinemaDNG and cineformRAW.. and will also record 1080 and 720 up to 60p to SSD's .. but there is no support for the camera outside of China.. so at this point you would have to buy it directly from them.. and if you have any repairs you would have to send it back to China on your own.. (at least until they can establish distribution and service outside China)
They do have Super 16 and Super 8 cameras planned.. but no delivery dates or prices announced.

And there is the FS100 and AF100.. I like the FS100 with the super35 sensor.. and with a hyperdeck shuttle you can record uncompressed 10bit 4.2.2.. and you can pick up a used once for about $3K.. it is marketed by Sony as a professional digital motion picture camera.. but it has a weird form factor.. but in a rig it works well..
EDIT.. correction: The Sony FS100 has uncompressed 8bi 4.2.2 through it's HDMI..

I'm waiting on my BMCC..
Last edited by Bill Rich on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bill Rich
Los Angeles, California

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Time for a Christmas miracle :|
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Carlos Hervas

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 6:56 pm

And there is the FS100 and AF100.. I like the FS100 with the super35 sensor.. and with a hyperdeck shuttle you can record uncompressed 10bit 4.2.2.. and you can pick up a used once for about $3K.. it is marketed by Sony as a professional digital motion picture camera.. but it has a weird form factor.. but in a rig it works well..

I'm waiting on my BMCC..[/quote
]

I don't think you can get 10bit out of the FS100 or the FS700
Carlos Hervas

Bill Rich

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 7:09 pm

After a quick check you are correct Chervas.. the HDMI output is uncompressed 4.2.2 but only 8bit.. Thanks for catching that!
Bill Rich
Los Angeles, California

Eric Santiago

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 7:12 pm

Margus Voll wrote:red one is not so good any more imo.

relatively old tech and big as hell.

I can argue that.
I use one at work.
2K at 120fps.
4K at 24fps.
Amazing DR.
The RED PL lenses are to die for ;)

muchskywoker

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 8:26 pm

No Santa Today?
i9 10980xe@5.0, 128GB, RTX-3090, Decklink mini monitor 4k,
media - RAID 0 4x samsung evo 970 plus 16TB, cache - samsung 960 pro 512GB, OS - samsung evo 970 256GB, archive 30TB+
Dali zensor 1 + Nad c315bee + dragonfly
Davinci Resolve 18.5, Windows 10

paulkosmala

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 9:12 pm

Abobakr M. Alshiblie wrote:There is nothing out there close enough except to the Ikonoskop which is 2 stops less in DR and about three times the price!! Unless you are looking for compressed you could find a Panasonic Af100 or Sony FS100 second hand in believable price point.. C100 is overpriced.. GH3 cheaper, but I hate shooting videos with a dslr =).. Red One is sold out

If I am ever gonna buy something other than the Cinema Camera, it would be the Ikonoskop.. Close to what I am looking for and I would have goon with that root by now but it is out of my price rang..

Ikonoskop looks fantastic, what's the price range?

JasonGlucksman

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 9:24 pm

The Ikonoskope looks great and if they slashed their pricing in half (which would still be about double than the BMC) I'd jump on board. As it stands the camera itself is about $10k and with the starter kit is about $12.4k USD. Making the matter completely out of my price range is their proprietary ssd which for 80gb is about $650usd and the 160gb is about $1300usd.

Nick Bedford

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Ikonoskop would be cool if I didn't have to buy an entirely new set of lenses. My main consideration for a "decent camera" is to be able to use my EF lenses.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Bill Rich

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 9:40 pm

The Ikonoskop A-Cam dII is nice.. Here is a start up price vs a RED Scarlet Canon mount start up kit.

A-Cam dll Start kit
9500 Euros = $12,318 USD

SCARLET-X AL CANON MOUNT COLLECTION
Price $14,190

I think at that point I might go with the Scarlet.. But both these cameras are outside of my budget..

I'm waiting for my BMCC :)
Last edited by Bill Rich on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Rich
Los Angeles, California

nickdale

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 10:16 pm

I agree with you Bill... I'm in a puzzle - yes the BMCC is cheap, but on the road of RED you have to spend the price of the camera and more to be able to use it effectively and is it as future proof as other options on the market? ... I dunno... :S ...

JasonGlucksman

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 10:38 pm

Ikonoskop would be cool if I didn't have to buy an entirely new set of lenses. My main consideration for a "decent camera" is to be able to use my EF lenses.

Ikonoskop has an EF mount option - along with about every mount out there.

Nick Bedford

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 10:42 pm

JasonGlucksman wrote:

Ikonoskop has an EF mount option - along with about every mount out there.

Well there you go... ;)

thejasonbee

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 10:51 pm

For the love of all things holy, would someone please tell us what the ____ is going on!?!?!?!

Charles Appleboot

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 11:30 pm

The Ikonoskop has an IMS mount, which means "Interchangeable Mount System". So, it doesn't actually take any lens out of the bag. It NEEDS the adaptors to work.
But, it has a CCD sensor on a nice 16mm size. I'd say it's not a bad option at all.

MikeLawson

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 12:35 am

Alright I can't defend BlackMagic anymore . It's rude and unprofessional to be this late on a promised update. I don't blame Christine, she's been good to respond and do what she can, but I don't know what Grant is thinking. I'm sure he has a logical reason but either way it's rude.

Still holding out hope we'll receive any kind of update in the near future but I seriously doubt it.

Mike Collier

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 12:55 am

I had a fun moment last night that I hope puts all this in perspective (it did for me)

I was racing the clock to beat a midnight deadline for a 5 day short film competition, and the writer takes to facebook to post a lot of "supposedly my film was shot, but I wouldn't know it since I don't have a link" etc. I commented to the director (both of us hold BMCC reservations) "this guys just like all those F*@!ers on the internet! There's no update! where is my update!" I had realized that somewhere in the course of the 36 hour day that became the final push (one that saw me having to fit in a national news event gig within it, and still make deadline) I had no time to update anyone. And when it was done I was exhausted.

So I guess the point is I would rather Grant spend his time getting the camera out and perfect, rather than placating our tender egos. Would I have rather shot the film on a Blackmagic? Sure. But who cares, at the end of the day (its been said before) format doesn't really matter. It is the last 5%.

And so I submit to you that you should just go shoot and work as much as possible. Good things come to those who wait.

Included in that story is a link to our finished 5 day film. Conveniently, we need votes (clicks of the youtube "Like" button). Shot on FS100 in 3 days. Cut in 36 hours.

Michael Collier, II
Cinematographer - Gaffer - Camera Operator

http://www.RandomAcronym.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3075740/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Ryan Best

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 1:59 am

Can I just point out that this is a multi-million dollar company with a pre-order list that goes back to april - and after the last update we was promised an update within a certain timeframe, which has now passed.

Sorry, but I don't see your point - he said he was going to update us - so whether he's in the warehouse with engineers or building units in his garden shed (likely) - there is a moral obligation here to keep us informed, especially when he has indicated the timeframe in which we should expect an update.

c.carlos.n

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 2:05 am

It is 1:00pm friday Melbourne time, they allways update friday EOB... I hope!
Carlos E Núñez

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 2:56 am

c.carlos.n wrote:It is 1:00pm friday Melbourne time, they allways update friday EOB... I hope!

It says the last one was posted on a Thursday afternoon though. I doubt BMD waits for a specific day of the week to give us news. They just do so when they feel its appropriate. I'm just curious as to why they don't think it's about time for an update.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Cuboirs

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 5:12 am

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW 20 DAYS AND COUNTING

brilliantimage

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 6:55 am

Shut the ___ up! I will give you updates when I feel like it!

(grant)

That may be the meaning of the silence!
Julius Barnabas

Nick Bedford

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 6:59 am

Those "other cameras" are looking mighty pretty right now.

You know, because they're available and all.

Tom

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 7:19 am

I don't imagine They would issue an update on the weekend, so guess that means we have to wait at least a couple more days at least now.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Thomas Schumacher

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 8:07 am

Nick Bedford wrote:Those "other cameras" are looking mighty pretty right now.

Kid, go and get one. We don't care and BMC won't either as they surely won't read all this and have lot a few more customers already.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Albert N. Romero

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 8:34 am

But between u and me, we both know that u are not going to cancel your order... U are waiting since... Since the first days in bmcuser right? As many of us.
And always happens, when i decide to give up and buy another thing, two weeks later the previous thing appears

Nick Bedford

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:42 am

Albert N. Romero wrote:

But between u and me, we both know that u are not going to cancel your order... U are waiting since... Since the first days in bmcuser right? As many of us.
And always happens, when i decide to give up and buy another thing, two weeks later the previous thing appears

Yeah, I'm still waiting. :cry:

Tom Sefton

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:59 am

It's here....
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk
PreviousNext