Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Costa Louvieris

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 11:42 am

Andrew Usher wrote:I moved on, got a Red Scarlet, to get a working package came in almost 5 times the cost of the BMCC. Was it worth it, yes, i love the camera, am i still rooting for BMCC, yes i am, but i no longer feel the frustration with the delays etc, and hope to pick one up next year.

At the end of the day is just a tool, and being a cynical Scot, i dont drink Kool aid, no matter where it is.

A.

Do you mind me asking how much more? I was thinking about a scarlet but now have my heart set on a F5 with RAW recorder. I have heard nothing but great things from people that have had a hands on either it.

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 2:46 pm

The delays do worry me a lot, not because I would like to play with the camera as quickly as possible, which obviously I do as well, but because I have a budget to spend for an award competition. If I don't get the camera in time to shoot the project, it will mean having to pass on the camera. I need the camera by the end of January. I am still being hopeful that BMD can ramp up soon and to high volumes. I have already invested in equipment...
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Michael Sandiford

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 4:35 pm

cschmeer wrote:The delays do worry me a lot, not because I would like to play with the camera as quickly as possible, which obviously I do as well, but because I have a budget to spend for an award competition. If I don't get the camera in time to shoot the project, it will mean having to pass on the camera. I need the camera by the end of January. I am still being hopeful that BMD can ramp up soon and to high volumes. I have already invested in equipment...to shoot in

Think you've got it bad, I have a feature film to shoot in Feb/March with a Bafta winning director. We originally were going to go down the canon dslr route, but I ended up budgeting in for a BMCC and editing ability to deal with the raw. Looks like we may be going back to 5dmk2's

Kholi Hicks

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Taikonaut wrote:You have to waite for NAB 2013 to find out otherwise it would'nt be NAB if there is no surprises. I hope whoever unleash upon us their next new toys can be more realistic about the shipping date and learn from the bad PR by BMD which is drastically undoing what is otherwise a great product.

I'm one of the lucky ones that hear about and see prototypes of cameras way before they're announced to the public. First camera I hadn't seen before release was this one, actually. Was very surprised that they kept it under wraps so well.

Honestly, I think the only people that are really upset about the delay are all in this thread/on forums. =P I haven't come across anyone here in Los Angeles that says more than "Well I hope they ship soon! I really want to use it." And, when anyone calls, texts, or facebooks me asking me if they're shipping yet it's just a "well let me know when you get yours!" or "Bring it by the studio so we can run it on a show/video!"

THey're workin' on it. Cameras are getting out there. Sometimes really great things that cost very little do come at a price, this one is just waiting.
Kholi Hicks

Kholi Hicks

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 6:02 pm

Jeggintonfilms wrote:Apparently the more you complain the further down in the pre-order queue you go.

RED wouldn't even sell most of the people here a camera. lol. They definitely exercise the right to refuse any individual purchase of their equipment, and if you're a real trouble maker you WILL be blacklisted.

That isn't a joke, I've seen the actual Blacklist pages.
Kholi Hicks

Soeren Mueller

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 6:08 pm

Kholi wrote:RED wouldn't even sell most of the people here a camera. lol.

As an added benefit it would definitely free up the backorder log a bit.. :twisted:

Kholi Hicks

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Soeren Mueller wrote:
Kholi wrote:RED wouldn't even sell most of the people here a camera. lol.

As an added benefit it would definitely free up the backorder log a bit.. :twisted:

As I post such calm messages I'm actually writhing on the ground in anguish as the date to shoot draws nearer and I realize MFT mount camera isn't here yet! MUST. HAVE. M. F. T. xD
Kholi Hicks

bhook

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 11:35 pm

I heard Christine is building the BMD Blacklist and it features forum members who refuse to comply with her simple full name request. :lol:

Jesuan Soriano

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 2:02 am

mhood wrote:I heard Christine is building the BMD Blacklist and it features forum members who refuse to comply with her simple full name request. :lol:

+1
Jesus Soriano

dennysb

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 4:53 am

Andrew Usher wrote:I moved on, got a Red Scarlet, to get a working package came in almost 5 times the cost of the BMCC. Was it worth it, yes, i love the camera, am i still rooting for BMCC, yes i am, but i no longer feel the frustration with the delays etc, and hope to pick one up next year.

At the end of the day is just a tool, and being a cynical Scot, i dont drink Kool aid, no matter where it is.

A.

Hey Andrew same here, I got a Scarlet and yes paid the dough for it :) Love the equipment, the service (Bomb Squad) and everything. I too wish BM lost of fortune - I am a user of resolve and maybe in the future (2013-14) a "B" camera from them :)

BTW: Saw your post in Reduser the other day - talk to you on the other side :)

brilliantimage

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 4:57 am

Hi

You all know that we are still trying to resolve the sensor issue, I would like to remind you that we are still not happy with our tests but things are looking up. I assure you that we are working as fast as we can to get production going again. A few of you are frustrated with the delays but we are the most disappointed by the way this is taking longer than we anticipated. I really appreciate those of you who are really rallying behind us as we navigate though this tedious process. We are doing everything possible to retain your trust and your business. We, at Blackmagic Designs sincerely apologize for any inconvenience causes due to this unexpected situation.

Once again, things are looking up. More update possibly next week.

Blabla... (Grant)
Julius Barnabas

PaulDelVecchio

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 5:08 am

brilliantimage wrote:Hi

You all know that we are still trying to resolve the sensor issue, I would like to remind you that we are still not happy with our tests but things are looking up. I assure you that we are working as fast as we can to get production going again. A few of you are frustrated with the delays but we are the most disappointed by the way this is taking longer than we anticipated. I really appreciate those of you who are really rallying behind us as we navigate though this tedious process. We are doing everything possible to retain your trust and your business. We, at Blackmagic Designs sincerely apologize for any inconvenience causes due to this unexpected situation.

Once again, things are looking up. More update possibly next week.

Blabla... (Grant)

And exactly what is the point of this?
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Lorenzo Straight

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 8:22 am

So does this mean BMD is going to work through the Christmas Holiday to deliver for all us little children, a camera. Just like Santa and the elves?
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

Ryan Best

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 10:56 am

CHRISTINE could you kindly confirm one way or the other whether we can expect an update today from BMD as an update this week is what was promised...???

Marcel Beck

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 am

Ryan Best wrote:CHRISTINE could you kindly confirm one way or the other whether we can expect an update today from BMD as an update this week is what was promised...???

Submit your email to the mailing list and you will be the first to know! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2693

/lock thread
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Ryan Best

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Marcel Beck wrote:
Ryan Best wrote:CHRISTINE could you kindly confirm one way or the other whether we can expect an update today from BMD as an update this week is what was promised...???

Submit your email to the mailing list and you will be the first to know! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2693

/lock thread

It was a question for CHRISTINE as she or a BMD representative would be the only people qualified to answer it. I am a part of the mailing list, but this doesn't mean I wouldn't like to know if we can expect an update today (this week - end of the week today) as promised. If there's no update today, I won't hold out for it.

As for locking the thread... nobody is forcing you to check this particular thread as you are happy being part of the mailing list.

Taikonaut

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 12:27 pm

Is this from BMD?

Jarateng

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks for the info !
I hope Grant will give us a projection on how soon the deliveries will be and by what volume .

Thanks
Last edited by Jarateng on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Sandiford

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 3:56 pm

eh?

Jeggintonfilms

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 4:14 pm

To clear up the confusion the above "update" was not from Grant. We are still waiting for his update.
Filmmaker & Camera-operator
www.jontyegginton.com

Eric Santiago

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 9:29 pm

dennysb wrote:BTW: Saw your post in Reduser the other day - talk to you on the other side :)

LOL there is an "other" side?

We are all on the same boat.
Some of us just chose to add a RED Scarlet in their tool set (like me).
The cost should never be a factor.
The BMCC is a Cinema camera made for great things.
Not a 7D shoot out with a JVC camcorder :P
If your in this for the long run, costs should be low in the worry list.
If money is an issue then you are not in this for reals.

Nick Bedford

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 12:37 am

Eric Santiago wrote:
dennysb wrote:BTW: Saw your post in Reduser the other day - talk to you on the other side :)

Not all of us can just cough up $20,000.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

paulkosmala

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 12:52 am

ten days later, still waiting to hear.

just hope the m4/3 mount option is still (roughly) on track...

Nick Bedford

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 1:09 am

3 months late. 6 months since I preordered. Getttinnngggg tirrreeddd offff waaiiitiiiing.

At one point I thought I'd actually be shooting on this camera.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

paulkosmala

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 3:00 am

Eric Santiago wrote:

Alright, so after a few hours, this statement still bothers me a little.
Cost is a factor - it should always be. If its not, either $100,000 is nothing to you, or you (risk) become broke due to poor planning.
Everyone should know:
1)what their increase in rate will be (if it is to be increased)
2)the value added by upgrading your equipment,
3) how many jobs it will take before the equipment is paid for, as well as an estimate time-frame to acquire those jobs.

Cost is a worry, but there are more important things I agree.
But I completely disagree with the statement 'If money is an issue then you are not in this for reals' as it implies the financial challenged do not take their craft seriously. Well shot 7d footage by a DP that knows what he's doing looks better than a DP with an Arri Alexa who doesn't.
/rant

though to be fair, cost is a decent metric level of investment, it's just not a good metric for quality, or talent. I'm just glad a good quality camera is coming out at this price bracket - you'll see a lot more mediocre films by people 'just wanting a camera', but you'll also see really good DP's get a leg up, where the quality of their work is (truly) the selling point (rather than the current unsaid standard 'he has a red/alexa, let's hire him'... seriously: producers are married to those and are afraid to cheat on them)

Anyways - this is for Christine:
Is there a time-frame for the next update?

bhook

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 3:18 am

I have one question regarding costs and some of you might find it pertinent: When was the last time you rented an ink jet printer? Most of you lived through the desktop revolution and saw what it did to the printing industry...this is deja vu all over again. Did you notice when the online suite landed in your living room? Does it fit in your lap now? Anyone with $3K can now make movies out of their carry on case. Everybody is a star.

:D

Toby Angwin

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 3:40 am

mhood wrote:Everybody is a star.

Which means no-one is...
Toby Angwin - Director/Compositor

http://www.soupkitchenfilms.net
@soupkitchen on Twitter
http://vimeo.com/soupkitchen

bhook

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 3:49 am

If your equipment is foundational to your business value, you're in trouble.

paulkosmala

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 3:51 am

mhood wrote:If your equipment is foundational to your business value, you're in trouble.

agreed.

Ram Prakash

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 4:30 am

mhood wrote:If your equipment is foundational to your business value, you're in trouble.

+1
Cheers!
Ram Prakash

Michael Sandiford

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 7:45 am

Unless your business is equipment supply?

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 9:44 am

Costa Louvieris

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 11:15 am

Well guys & gals some of you will be happy to hear what I am about to tell you! Some will be sad (probably fewer sad, let's be honest) I decided to cancel my preorder and wait patiently for a more honest/transparant company to fill my RAW workflow void (cough Sony cough).

It's been nice talking to you all, even the pople who have BMD apologists syndrome (JB, yes even you)! I've honestly enjoyed all your company here on the forums, but it is time for me to move on to something more reliable and "real".

Of course I will visit here and check on the status, back those of you that want it and those that are honest with the way BMD is dealing with things etc. However, I wont be spending as much time here from now on as I have far too much work to do from now until Christmas... work that would have been great to shoot with the BMCC, but alas that was NEVER going to be the case:( Sadly I am now realising that BMD probably knew all this at least a few months back and have not bothered to be forthcoming about it. Of course, AGAIN apologists before you hate on me, this is ONLY MY OPINION so let it go...

Thanks all for the entertaining educated discussions. See you soon
Costa
Last edited by Costa Louvieris on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

cengizözgök

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 11:18 am

Say at least when the update is coming !!!!
Everyone want's to know the results of the tests from the sensors and when will BMC go back to mass production.

bhook

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 11:47 am

Michael Sandiford wrote:Unless your business is equipment supply?

Not going to be much of a market for renting a $3000.00 cinema camera when everybody owns one. That was my point about inkjet printers. Turn and face the strain...

Live long and prosper Costa.

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 11:51 am

I guess we're out of luck for a Monday update as well. Hopefully there will be some news soon :?
www.christianschmeer.com

Felix Steinhardt

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 1:51 pm

By now, the camera should have been in full production, again, according to Grant.
I guess it´s not. :?

chrisw

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 2:01 pm

I have been following this forum for some time now. I always hoped that Blackmagic will be what I will be using for my next project. But time is up!

I still think the product is great. I guess it will take BM some years to get a mature company as a camera manufacturer.

This was my first and last post for a while I guess.

Maybe one day I will own one. Good luck BM!

c.carlos.n

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 2:41 pm

Chistine? Any new news coming?
Carlos E Núñez

Tom Sefton

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Bump - any news Christine?
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

melissa lancaster

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 3:01 pm

c.carlos.n wrote:Chistine? Any new news coming?

Yes pleeeeeease!!!!!!

thejasonbee

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Hello hello...I think most of us have been quite fair in waiting patiently for yet another overdue expected* update. Seems we only get updates when the "mob" uprises...shouldn't be that way really. It's quite simple, a little communication has proven to go a long way with us (well, most of us anyway).

EDIT: * By "expected," I mean that the expectation of another update was set by BMD.

Christine Peterson

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 3:48 pm

We're working on getting an update. We'll let you know when we hear anything!
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Joaquin Torrents

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 5:31 pm

Christine,

thanks. Maybe the update can also contain the new firmware features...
Joaquin Torrents

AJ.infinite

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 7:32 pm

My viewfactor Centineo BMCC Cage is for sale if anyone is interested.

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 7:51 pm

AJ.infinite wrote:My viewfactor Centineo BMCC Cage is for sale if anyone is interested.

Wow, quite a few people jumped ship in the past week. :? BMD needs to get the cameras out the door as soon as possible...
www.christianschmeer.com

Eric Santiago

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 8:01 pm

paulkosmala wrote:Alright, so after a few hours, this statement still bothers me a little.

Oops sorry I didnt state it that way to bother anyone.
Im just clearly putting it out there that if you really are serious about this craft and need something now then you go with what you can afford.
Waiting and waiting and waiting and bitching isnt exactly a creative workflow now isnt it?
So I went with a costly one, but it wasnt to me since Ive been planning years prior to BMCC announcement back in April.

So for those that need something now and have money then go do something, shoot something, create something..anything :)

Felix Steinhardt

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 8:03 pm

My retailer told me last week that from 17 preorders, only 4 are left.
People are turning away...I don´t but not much longer!

rune

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 8:07 pm

I have been on hold for this camera since mid June. My first short with this camera was going to be a portrait of my mother who is fighting stage 4 lung and bone cancer... I hope I can get the camera and have the opportunity to make it before she dies... :?: :|

P.S. Another status update would be most helpful.

Thank you

A Travis D

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 8:42 pm

@ Rune. That sounds like an amazing story! Keep us posted!!!! Deep down I hope you end up filming it now, as opposed to waiting for your new camera. Even made on an Iphone, I'm sure we would all love her story/your film. - Your Friend
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography