ProRes HQ with SanDisk Extreme SDHC UHS-1 60MB/s 400X

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jim Braly

ProRes HQ with SanDisk Extreme SDHC UHS-1 60MB/s 400X

PostTue Sep 16, 2014 9:23 pm

I tried a cheaper card than the Extreme Pro 95MB/s, and it worked for ProRes HQ.

Well, it worked for a 10-minute clip with no dropped frames. It did drop frames within seconds of starting to record raw. The card is the 32-gig SanDisk Extreme SDHC UHS-1, which claims "speed up to 60MB/s 400X" on the package. The Blackmagic Disk Speed Test clocked it at 31MB/s for writing through a Transcend USB 3.0 card reader into an ancient USB 2.0 Mac port.

Being new to the Pocket, I came in thinking an SD card was an SD card. I now realize that was naive. A SanDisk Ultra 30MB/s card would not even record ProRes Proxy without dropping frames. Class 6 Transcend and Adata cards, formatted to ExFat, were "no card" -- not even recognized by the camera (I hoped they would be capable of Proxy recording).

A SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s card would record Proxy, but dropped frames in ProRes LT. A Transcend 90MB/s 600X SDHC card, which achieved 18MB/s write on the Disk Speed Test, would record Proxy but dropped frames in ProRes LT. Sheesh, it appeared to exceed the data rate for LT but didn't work.

I do have one Extreme Pro 95MB/s card, and just like everybody says, it works great for everything. But if you just need ProRes, the Extreme 60MB/s 400X card is cheaper and it passed my 10-minute test. I suppose your mileage could vary, depending on the mysteries of how SD cards react in the Pocket.

Anyway, a big thanks to all the posters who share their information and testing on this forum.

Return to Cinematography