Which Mac for BMCC RAW & Resolve?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Christian Schmeer

Which Mac for BMCC RAW & Resolve?

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I am in a bit of a pickle since I sold my laptop about two weeks ago, then bought a 15" MacBook Pro Retina only to discover that it seems to have major screen problems with the LG manufactured screens having image persistence / image retention / ghosting problems and the Samsung manufactured screens having a yellow tint towards the bottom of the screen. Although the 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display would be the perfect computer for me to buy right now I don't necessarily want to have to live with these kinds of problems, so I'm wondering if they are maybe any (Mac) alternatives for me to consider. How well do you think editing the BMCC's RAW video and using Resolve would work on one of the new iMacs that will be released soon? What do you guys suggest? :/

-Chris.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Jesuan Soriano

Re: Which Mac for BMCC RAW & Resolve?

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Hey cschmeer!!!

I have 2 options for you, for cheap :) , more or less

Build your own Hackintosh. Build your own windows. Da vinci's best friends are GPU.

So if you have any doubt what to get, read this topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=929
:D

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Margus Voll

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 12:46 am

we will know about imac when it will be out.

I was hoping to have 27" on as my home machine
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

rick.lang

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 6:35 am

cschmeer wrote:Hi everyone,

I am in a bit of a pickle since I sold my laptop about two weeks ago... so I'm wondering if they are maybe any (Mac) alternatives for me to consider. How well do you think editing the BMCC's RAW video and using Resolve would work on one of the new iMacs that will be released soon? What do you guys suggest? :/

-Chris.

In the short term you might buy a used Mac Pro and put a GTX570 or GTX580 in it.

In the long term, you might wait for "later in 2013" when Tim Cook has promised something really great is coming for those wanting an update to the Mac Pro--might not even be a Mac Pro in 2013 but something new. May still cost a lot but it would be truly "really great" if the price for a new Mac Pro was reasonable.

But as you mentioned, the new iMac 27" with either the new NVIDIA GTX 675MX or GTX 680MX may be the ticket. It won't approach the power of whatever Apple is going to offer "later in 2013" but sometimes you cannot wait for "later in 2013." Peter Chamberlain of BMD has indicated both options should be useful with Resolve; personally if you can afford it, I'd go with the GTX 680MX 2GB video memory.
Rick Lang

Adonis

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 9:35 am

Think of the BMCC RAW in this case as sequential files. Numerous almost as daunting as Maya/Max rendered files for 3D animation....
--Adonis
www.lovemyhome.net/business

Margus Voll

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 am

yes using number of files in workflow is as old practice as we can remember computers
in film and video.

nothing special there i think.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

muratcangokce

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 7:36 pm

early 2011 macbook pro 15.4 inch w/ High Res. screen is OK I believe... Peter Chamberlein said it to me from BMCuser.
www.muratcan.film

Return to Cinematography