How to update your firmware

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

adamroberts

How to update your firmware

PostTue Oct 14, 2014 12:39 pm

Update: Now with version 2.1 the process below changes slightly.
The downloaded installer does not have an uninstaller like previous versions did. You'll need to run the uninstaller that came with the previous version.

Once you have installed 2.1 you will have an uninstaller app for 2.1 (on the Mac this is in the same folder as the "Blackmagic Camera Setup" app). You can then run that before you install the next update (2.2, 2.3, etc) in the future.

To update your firmware you need to download and install the latest Camera Utility from Blackmagic.

You download it here:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... al-cameras

Each update is self contained and includes all the previous updates. So you don't need to download each update. Just download the one you want (normally the latest version).

Once downloaded you will need to un-zip the file.
On the Mac you will then have a .dmg file. Double click on that to mount the disk image. Inside the mounted disk image you will find the installer, manual, documents and uninstaller.

On the PC you will then have a directory with the manuals and an installer file.

It's also advisable to run the uninstaller if you have a version already installed on your computer. Do this first.

Now you are ready to run the installer.
Follow the on screen prompts and read the Readme for any notes about the update.

This installs a few applications in your Applications directory. Now reboot the machine.

Once done, browse to your Applications directory and launch "Blackmagic Camera Utility"
Connect the camera via USB (BMCC/BMPC4K USB port in the SSD bay, BMPCC USB port in the battery bay)
Turn the camera on. Make sure the camera is full charged (even better plug in the mains power supply)

The camera utility will now check the camera. If the firmware on the camera is different from the version installed on your computer (newer or older) it will tell you the camera needs updating. Click update and wait for it to complete.

The camera reboots once done and on the BMCC/BMPC4K the screen will flicker for a few minutes. This is normal and part of the process (as explained in the Readme, you read that part, right??).

Your camera is now "up-to-date" with the version installed on you computer.

If you want to run an older version of the firmware simple download and install that version on you computer. The Camera Utility does not check the Internet for updates. You have to download a new Camera Utility for each update.

Again, It's also advisable to run the uninstaller if you have a version already installed on your computer.
Last edited by adamroberts on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tyler Edwards

Re: How to update your firmware

PostTue Oct 14, 2014 12:45 pm

Blackmagic Design also recommends to uninstall the current camera utility before installing the new one. I know many people don't do this, but I thought I should note it as a step since BMD recommends it.
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

adamroberts

PostTue Oct 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Tyler Edwards wrote:Blackmagic Design also recommends to uninstall the current camera utility before installing the new one. I know many people don't do this, but I thought I should note it as a step since BMD recommends it.

As stated in my last line... :-)

Anyone who has already installed an update would not need this guide so would not need to run the uninstaller. That why I mentioned it at the end.

Tyler Edwards

PostTue Oct 14, 2014 1:08 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Tyler Edwards wrote:Blackmagic Design also recommends to uninstall the current camera utility before installing the new one. I know many people don't do this, but I thought I should note it as a step since BMD recommends it.

As stated in my last line... :-)

Anyone who has already installed an update would not need this guide so would not need to run the uninstaller. That why I mentioned it at the end.

Ah sorry, my mistake :oops: . Classic case of reading it first thing in the morning without allowing coffee to properly kick in. Anyways, thanks for the write-up! Hopefully this will quiet down the "how do I update?" threads.
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

Mike Flynn

PostTue Oct 14, 2014 1:44 pm

I would put the uninstall admonishment at the beginning so that a user does not just install over an old one before reading about the uninstall. JMO :)

tristansummers

PostTue Oct 14, 2014 2:34 pm

I am not complaining. Ever since my first gen 1 decklink I have loved how the product keeps improving with updates. It is A-MAZING. But the pocket camera has got me a bit frustrated. On Windows 7 I have to first uninstall the decklink driver. Then re-download the LAST camera firmware installer. Run that to uninstall it. Reboot. Then install the new driver. Then update the camera. Then re-install the decklink driver. In twenty years of video computer obsession I have never had to do all this just to update one thing. Mind you, I have never had a PC before. There must be an easier way. When are you going start making workstations?!

Rauno Linnamäe

PostWed Oct 15, 2014 3:17 am

One thing to note to OS X users - the Blackmagic Camera Utility installer requires a system restart after installation.
Special Effects Supervisor / Key Grip / Managing Partner at Nordic Vision
http://www.nordic-vision.eu

Andy Dopieralski

PostWed Oct 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Rauno Linnamäe wrote:One thing to note to OS X users - the Blackmagic Camera Utility installer requires a system restart after installation.

It does on Windows as well. However you can ignore it at your own risk. The flow is: Uninstall current Camera Utility, ignore reboot request, download/unpack/setup new camera utility, ignore reboot request, launch.

I've done this a number of times and have never had an issue. That being said, it's always safer to go with the tested method.

The dream, of course, is for a firmware independant of the firmware updater, allowing it to be downloaded and instantly sent to the camera without any installs save the first one.
http://watch.yourlamefriends.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1504735/

adamroberts

PostThu Oct 16, 2014 8:26 am

Andy Dopieralski wrote:
Rauno Linnamäe wrote:One thing to note to OS X users - the Blackmagic Camera Utility installer requires a system restart after installation.

It does on Windows as well. However you can ignore it at your own risk. The flow is: Uninstall current Camera Utility, ignore reboot request, download/unpack/setup new camera utility, ignore reboot request, launch.

I've done this a number of times and have never had an issue. That being said, it's always safer to go with the tested method.

The dream, of course, is for a firmware independant of the firmware updater, allowing it to be downloaded and instantly sent to the camera without any installs save the first one.

The reason for the restart is that the installer also installs other applications that support the cameras. During the installations it installs system level extensions that are used by Blackmagic LiveKey, Blackmagic Media Express and Blackmagic UltraScope. These extensions are not needed for the firmware update tho.

balazer

PostThu Nov 06, 2014 8:53 am

On the Pocket Camera I'd recommend wedging the battery in place with a paperclip or the corner of a credit card while flashing a firmware update. With the battery door open, the battery isn't held in securely by the retaining clip, and it doesn't take much for the battery to be shaken loose.

Lee Gauthier

PostThu Nov 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Or, you could plug in the AC adapter to be sure.

Denny Smith

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 6:58 pm

+1...
I found several with "white balance" in their name in the Apple Aplication store, also found out you need to specify "IPhone" application (vs IPad) in the search, you get different results.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Andrey Medina

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 12:00 am

OH MY GOD THE LAST update is soooo sexy

We should add red and blue focus peaking in the next one would be awesome to see

Mikhail Abramovich

PostFri Feb 27, 2015 8:57 pm

I just got my bmpcc, and already i have and issue, i can't update my firmware, the computer doesn't recognize my camera, i tried it with the battery at 100%, with the AC plugged, no battery and only AC plugged, i mean every combination posible (I did turned on the camera) . But i always get the message CONNECT BLACKMAGIC CAMERA VIA USB. I don't know what to do, i think it is maybe the usb plug but when i plug it to my windows PC it does the sound of a usb device being plugged but i have no luck... the camera its not recognized. I've been saving a money to get this camera and others accessories for so long and waiting for someone to bring it to me (cause im from Peru) And in just some minutes playing after unboxing i just got this problem, please if someone knows what im doing wrong or what should i do, i will be grateful, sorry for my english, how I mentioned before, im from Perú... it will be a pain in the @ss to had to send it to the States and wait for BlackMagic Design to repair it... I will be waiting for answers, peace.

Mikhail

adamroberts

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 2:47 pm

Mikhail Abramovich wrote:I just got my bmpcc, and already i have and issue, i can't update my firmware, the computer doesn't recognize my camera, i tried it with the battery at 100%, with the AC plugged, no battery and only AC plugged, i mean every combination posible (I did turned on the camera) . But i always get the message CONNECT BLACKMAGIC CAMERA VIA USB. I don't know what to do, i think it is maybe the usb plug but when i plug it to my windows PC it does the sound of a usb device being plugged but i have no luck... the camera its not recognized. I've been saving a money to get this camera and others accessories for so long and waiting for someone to bring it to me (cause im from Peru) And in just some minutes playing after unboxing i just got this problem, please if someone knows what im doing wrong or what should i do, i will be grateful, sorry for my english, how I mentioned before, im from Perú... it will be a pain in the @ss to had to send it to the States and wait for BlackMagic Design to repair it... I will be waiting for answers, peace.

Mikhail

What is the spec of your PC? Have you tried it on another PC?

Marcin Rusinowski

PostThu Mar 19, 2015 10:43 am

about unistall on Mac OSX... just to put Blackmagic apps in trash or anything more? There is no uninstall option on Blackmagic Utility with firmware 19.7

adamroberts

PostThu Mar 19, 2015 4:35 pm

Marcin Rusinowski wrote:about unistall on Mac OSX... just to put Blackmagic apps in trash or anything more? There is no uninstall option on Blackmagic Utility with firmware 19.7

See the update at top of this thread.

It's best to run the un-installer that is included with the installer of 1.9.7. This will delete all files that are installed at a system level. Moving the files to the trash is not enough.

JazzMafi

PostMon Mar 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Help

I can't UPDATE my Pocket (I have PC) and I can't find any Uninstaller for it

??????

Where I can get Uninstaller for PC ????

Sean Miller

PostMon May 18, 2015 1:18 pm

appreciate ur instructions :D

ChrisBoylston

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 8:59 pm

I am having the same problem updating my camera as a couple other people in this thread had (I have the BMCC EF Mount). When I plug the camera into the computer, the camera only charges and the computer does not recognize the camera. I have the camera plugged into the wall and the computer right now and it is not working. I emailed support and the only advice they had was to make sure I was using a USB cable and not a Thunderbolt cable (I do not even own a thunderbolt cable). If anybody has any advice I would love it.

HELP!!!

Manel Menano

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 3:34 pm

Should I always update my camera or only if the update addresses my camera?

Example: Should I install 2.6, with only URSA updates, on my Production Camera?

Richard Serrano

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 7:06 pm

"Updating the Camera software failed."

I have uninstalled previous Camera Utility installations, restarted, installed the newest firmware update, restarted, have a full battery and also tried with the camera on AC power.

The program recognizes my camera when I plug it into USB and turn it on. However as soon as I press update, the message prompt above appears and returns me back to the main screen.

I cannot update my BMPCC at all.

Any thoughts or help?

adamroberts

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 10:17 pm

Manel Menano wrote:Should I always update my camera or only if the update addresses my camera?

Example: Should I install 2.6, with only URSA updates, on my Production Camera?

The latest version might not list changes to your camera but always includes the other camera updates from previous cameras.

No need to run updates that don't address your camera tho if you've already run previous versions.

adamroberts

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 10:18 pm

Richard Serrano wrote:"Updating the Camera software failed."

I have uninstalled previous Camera Utility installations, restarted, installed the newest firmware update, restarted, have a full battery and also tried with the camera on AC power.

The program recognizes my camera when I plug it into USB and turn it on. However as soon as I press update, the message prompt above appears and returns me back to the main screen.

Any thoughts or help?

What are your system specs? OS and version?

Budimir Grom

PostThu Sep 10, 2015 7:19 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Richard Serrano wrote:"Updating the Camera software failed."

Any thoughts or help?

What are your system specs? OS and version?

I have the same problem. Running Windows 10.

UPDATE: Tried on Windows 8.1 laptop, too. No luck. Played a little around USB 2.0/3.0, checked backward compatibility of 3.0. Then I tried version 2.7, published today, on that same laptop, and it "started". Hangs on 0%. Camera seems as if turned off. Hope it's not the end of it... We'll see what happens.

CONCLUSION: Fixed. The problem was either solved by Blackmagic Design (most probable, lightning fast) or this Setup is not fully compatible with USB 3.0.
Voting for None of The Above (nopo.rs)

maxotics

Update Failed BMPCC

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 3:56 pm

New PC, USB 3.0. Tried to update BMPCC camera to version 2.1 Got "Update Failed" and camera made clicking sound every second. Tried again, but didn't surf the internet while doing it :cry: Failed 2nd time. 3rd time I took SD card out, re-seated lens, started it, moved the window "update" box around so the computer didn't sleep on me, then it worked. :D In short, after 3 attempts it worked. No idea why it didn't the first two times.
Max Rottersman
Cambridge, MA, USA
maxotics.com flickr.com/maxotics vimeo.com/maxotics

Konstantin Yurchenko Jr

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 4:20 pm

Thank for posting this! :D

Uri Montilya

PostMon Aug 01, 2016 12:37 pm

My PC also doesn't recognize the pocket.
I tried 3 different PCs (two win 7, one win 10) and two cameras - same results.
Where can I download win 7 USB drivers for the pocket cameras?
Thanks.

Return to Cinematography