Tascam DR-05 + BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Justin Battle

Tascam DR-05 + BMPCC

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 6:16 pm

I want to record audio (documentary) in the DR-05 directly into the BMPCC...how would I do that? Total newb question, but I never thought about going this route until now. And would you guys even recommend it since the audio quality in the BMPCC is so sh*t?

Tyler Edwards

Re: Tascam DR-05 + BMPCC

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 6:27 pm

You can run a simple 3.5mm cable from the line out port of the DR-05 to the mic input of the BMPCC.

Mattias Burling (fellow forum member) has a great video on this. He is using a Zoom H1, but the same concept applies.

www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 6:30 pm

With a good preamp, the BMPCC audio quality is decent. Not great, but it's serviceable. Adequate for interview dialog, at any rate.

All you'll have to do is run a regular stereo cable from the line out on the Tascam to the mic jack on the BMPCC. Set the record level fairly low and use the line setting, and adjust gain on the Tascam rather than on the BMPCC to get the signal to a good level. I've used that approach and it's worked pretty well for me. It sounds about as good as a Zoom h4n if you set your levels right.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Justin Battle

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 6:46 pm

Awesome. Thanks!

Tyler Edwards

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 12:16 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:With a good preamp, the BMPCC audio quality is decent. Not great, but it's serviceable. Adequate for interview dialog, at any rate.

All you'll have to do is run a regular stereo cable from the line out on the Tascam to the mic jack on the BMPCC. Set the record level fairly low and use the line setting, and adjust gain on the Tascam rather than on the BMPCC to get the signal to a good level. I've used that approach and it's worked pretty well for me. It sounds about as good as a Zoom h4n if you set your levels right.

I run the same setup with my H4n. However, I always dual record to the SD card in the H4n and into the BMPCC. I still find that the H4n audio is cleaner, which I think is due to the fact that the line out is the same as the headphone port. I think that causes more hiss. I am curious if the H5's line out is cleaner since it has a dedicated line out (and obviously superior pre's to the H4n).
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 5:54 pm

Tyler Edwards wrote:I run the same setup with my H4n. However, I always dual record to the SD card in the H4n and into the BMPCC. I still find that the H4n audio is cleaner, which I think is due to the fact that the line out is the same as the headphone port. I think that causes more hiss. I am curious if the H5's line out is cleaner since it has a dedicated line out (and obviously superior pre's to the H4n).

I'm not surprised, I've found the headphone out on the h4n to be terrible even just for monitoring. The Sound Devices MixPreD and 633 both have 3/8" mini jack outputs in addition to the XLR outputs, which is what I used to feed a sound signal to the Pocket cinema camera. That sounded decent, but recording on the 633 always sound cleaner, richer, and more detailed as well as more transparent than the camera or the Zoom recorder. Play it back on a sound system like my home theater and you can really tell. Play it back on YouTube, and it's harder to tell. :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Return to Cinematography