Too much EF Mount play?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Christopher Dobey

Too much EF Mount play?

PostThu Nov 06, 2014 2:21 pm

I noticed when I switch directions focusing with my Zeiss lens there is a noticeable give and click between the lens and mount of the Production Camera 4K. Is this acceptable with an EF mount and thus why people opt for a PL or is there a defect on either the lens or the mount?

Thanks Guys,

Christopher
Nikon Z6 | Ninja V ProRes RAW
Resolve Studio 18 Beta | macOS 12.3.1
Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro, 10 core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB memory
Pro Display XDR | Micro Panel

Mike Flynn

Re: Too much EF Mount play?

PostThu Nov 06, 2014 2:28 pm

The EF mount is indeed sloppy. PL will lock the lens in place. EF has slop. Take a Canon EF lens, put it on a Canon EF mount body and you will see the same slop that the BMPC has. BM made the mount correctly since it matches the slop that Canon has in this mount.

If your Zeiss lenses are CP.2, they have a foot on them that you can lock to the rails that overcomes the issue.

Christopher Dobey

PostThu Nov 06, 2014 2:38 pm

Thank you for your fast response Mike. Nice to know the products are not defective.

My Distagon 1.4/35mm ZE lens is not CP.2

Mike Flynn

PostThu Nov 06, 2014 3:06 pm

Without a foot on the lens, it can be a challenge to mitigate this play. Since yours are not cine lenses, your focus ring should have much less drag - that works in your favor. I have used a velcro strip around the lens/rails before on SLR lenses and was able to mitigate the play - YMMV.

LennartBöwering

PostThu Nov 06, 2014 9:49 pm

Also note that the play isn't as bad with every lense.
I've just tried a Sigma 24mm 2.8 and it doesn't wiggle at all and feels very secure.

Harold Tomlinson

PostSat Nov 08, 2014 12:39 am

Where is this play? Does the lens rotate a bit once clicked in or is it loose enough to move from side to side? I am curious. I have heard this before but I don't get it. I have six lenses (mostly Canon), a 6D, and a BMP4K. No combination has any play in the mount that I can detect.
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

Rob Fasold

PostSat Nov 08, 2014 6:48 am

Play also present on bmpcc using 4/3 lenses with 4/3 to m4/3 adapter. I have 3 ca!meras with 3 different adapters and all have this play. Drives me crazy. Are there any solutions other than Velcro, such as a sort of shim one can place between the adapter and camera to tighten the fit? I don't have this issue using same adapter/lens combo with an olympus e-m5 camera.

Christopher Dobey

PostSat Nov 08, 2014 9:59 pm

Harold Tomlinson wrote:Where is this play? Does the lens rotate a bit once clicked in or is it loose enough to move from side to side? I am curious. I have heard this before but I don't get it. I have six lenses (mostly Canon), a 6D, and a BMP4K. No combination has any play in the mount that I can detect.

The play is between the lens and the mount. There is a maybe a quarter millimeter shift when changing direction of focusing quickly.

David Green

PostSat Nov 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Unfortunately all EF mounts have some lateral play.
I would not try to shim it since most EF cameras and lenses use soft metals on the mount and that will only apply additional force on the contacting rotating surfaces and wear them quicker.
I always use a lot of care when changing lenses to try to minimize wear and tear on the mounts.
Some expensive cameras like the RED have titanium PL mounts available for greater durability.
David R. Green - Demenzun Media Inc. - Author Composer Filmmaker Programmer

John Brawley

PostSat Nov 08, 2014 11:39 pm

Harold Tomlinson wrote:Where is this play? Does the lens rotate a bit once clicked in or is it loose enough to move from side to side? I am curious. I have heard this before but I don't get it. I have six lenses (mostly Canon), a 6D, and a BMP4K. No combination has any play in the mount that I can detect.

If you grab your lens and wriggle it around the lens enter axis you'll notice there is always some play.

This tends to be exacerbated when you get ef mount cine lenses, like the zeiss CP's or the canon cine primes.

With the larger rotational torque of a follow focus you'll also notice this as you change directions in focus.

EF isn't very well suited to motion imaging DESPITE the fact canon happily sell EF mount cinema lenses and cameras. But they have attempted to address this. You'll notice that the Canon C500 has a different and special LOCKING EF mount. RED's EF mount also has a locking mechanism.

It probably won't really affect you if you're using stills lenses. It tends to be noticeable more with manual focus and large focus barrel lenses.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostSat Nov 08, 2014 11:41 pm

David Green wrote:Some expensive cameras like the RED have titanium PL mounts available for greater durability.

And better thermal stability. Also an actual locking mechanism that stops the lens rotating in the mount.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

ChrisBarcellos

PostSun Nov 09, 2014 7:22 am

I have reduced this on some lenses over the years of cinema adapters by laying one layer of clear celephane packing tape on the back of the lens and trimming it with a pen knife to cover and eave a thin layer of tape on contact surface. You obviously dont want to touch lense element or electronic contacts with the tape when you do this.

Jim Braly

PostSun Nov 09, 2014 5:31 pm

This might be ridiculous and not applicable to the EF mount, but on the Pocket, I had a little play between cheap C-mount lenses and cheap micro four-thirds adapters (well, of course), and also between one of the adapters and the Pocket's mount.

I wrapped the threads of the lenses and the adapter mount with PTFE thread seal tape -- more commonly known, I think, as teflon tape for plumbers. It took some trimming with an X-acto knife to tidy up, but the lenses are secure now. It took experimentation to find out what is the best number of "layers" of tape to wrap on. I went about four or five times around, and probably could have done a few more.

There's a YouTube video that shows a guy wrapping it: How to use PTFE tape - Ultimate Handyman DIY tips.

I didn't worry about screwing these lenses up. Maybe this is not a good idea for good lenses, especially if they are off and on constantly. I did worry about getting a piece of the tape inside the sensor area, but so far that has not happened.

John Brawley

PostSun Nov 09, 2014 9:03 pm

Jim Braly wrote:This might be ridiculous and not applicable to the EF mount, but on the Pocket, I had a little play between cheap C-mount lenses and cheap micro four-thirds adapters (well, of course), and also between one of the adapters and the Pocket's mount.

I wrapped the threads of the lenses and the adapter mount with PTFE thread seal tape -- more commonly known, I think, as teflon tape for plumbers. It took some trimming with an X-acto knife to tidy up, but the lenses are secure now. It took experimentation to find out what is the best number of "layers" of tape to wrap on. I went about four or five times around, and probably could have done a few more.

There's a YouTube video that shows a guy wrapping it: How to use PTFE tape - Ultimate Handyman DIY tips.

I didn't worry about screwing these lenses up. Maybe this is not a good idea for good lenses, especially if they are off and on constantly. I did worry about getting a piece of the tape inside the sensor area, but so far that has not happened.

I'd be very very cautious about doing this.

First of all you're probably changing the FFD or flange focus depth (ie back focus). Now mostly you might not notice this but you should be aware that it might make a lens that is only just hitting infinity, not be able to. You'll notice this most on wider lenses.

You're also adding a material to the very sensitive sensor area that will degrade and change over time. As the tape wears will pieces of it re-locate themselves around the sensor ? A lot of the time dust on the sensor is barely visible yet can cause you big problems. If there's adhesive involved (like on the back of the tape) then it's also probably going to be harder to just blow away with air.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Craig Marshall

PostSun Nov 09, 2014 9:35 pm

I've experienced this issue with my Zeiss 'Contax' primes on the Metabones FF>Super 35 'Speed Booster' especially with the extra torque from the Follow Focus gear-set and the big 300mm F4.0. I solved the problem by using the nifty 'Lanparte Prime Tele lens support TS-02' on the rails to hold the end of the lens rock steady. Works a treat, is quickly removable and adjusted to suit any lens diameter.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Jim Braly

PostMon Nov 10, 2014 3:45 am

John Brawley wrote:
I'd be very very cautious about doing this.

First of all you're probably changing the FFD or flange focus depth (ie back focus). Now mostly you might not notice this but you should be aware that it might make a lens that is only just hitting infinity, not be able to. You'll notice this most on wider lenses.

You're also adding a material to the very sensitive sensor area that will degrade and change over time. As the tape wears will pieces of it re-locate themselves around the sensor ? A lot of the time dust on the sensor is barely visible yet can cause you big problems. If there's adhesive involved (like on the back of the tape) then it's also probably going to be harder to just blow away with air.

JB

That's a good point, John. I may go on a quest for precise adapters (if such a thing exists) rather than snug up with teflon tape. And, oh, the randomness of FFD! In my testing of three types of micro four-thirds adapters (for OM, F, and C mount lenses), the distance scale on old manual focus glass is always off on the Pocket.

Various lenses seem to focus to infinity (or as close as my nearsighted eyes can discern), but probably they don't -- if the distance scale says 3 feet, the reality is more like 5 feet, or more, or less. But wide open, never exactly what the lens indicates. (Hmm, maybe I'm focusing to double infinity. Seems like a long shot.) I guess it's difficult to get an FFD of exactly 46mm or 46.5mm or 17.52mm when the mount is built for 19.25mm.

Christopher Dobey

PostSun Sep 09, 2018 4:57 pm

Alas I've had the URSA Mini 4K EF for almost two years now and the play in the mount is driving me nuts. For this reason and higher dynamic range, I'm eyeing the PL 4.6K version.

Can anyone comment on the amount of play with MFT? aka will the same annoyance be there with the BMPCC4K.

Denny Smith

PostSun Sep 09, 2018 5:11 pm

For starters EF is a still camera mount, and has a small amount of inherent play, which increases with time and wear, especially noticeable with big heavy lenses, which is why Canon went with a locking variation withmits Cine lenses.

The MFT mount is also a still camera mount, and it too has a slight twist play in the locking pin. Some mounts are tighter than others. The MFT mount in my AF100 was tighter than the original Pocket camera, which was on the loose side. But my Novoflex MFT/Nik adapter was a nice tight fit on both. The Micro Cameras have a much better MFT mount, tight fit, closer to the AF100 than the Pocket did. How,the new Pocket Mount is going to be, it yesterday to be seen, but so far from the beta testers, no complaints.

That said, when using large or Cine MFT lenses with a well dampened focus ring, I always support any adapter, like,the Wooden Camera PL adapter or my Metsbones Speed Booster, to the csmera cage or 15mm rail setup. Then on long or heavy lenses, I add a lens support like a clamping Matte Box on the rails. This locks the camera, adapter and lens into one tight unit, spreading the weight and pressure across the rig. The mount is locked, any present play is eliminated.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Brawley

PostSun Sep 09, 2018 6:02 pm

Christopher Dobey wrote:Alas I've had the URSA Mini 4K EF for almost two years now and the play in the mount is driving me nuts. For this reason and higher dynamic range, I'm eyeing the PL 4.6K version.

Can anyone comment on the amount of play with MFT? aka will the same annoyance be there with the BMPCC4K.

MFT like EF also sufferers from rotational torque in the mount with very large lenses, especially when using adaptors and focus motors.

This is why PL exists, and this is the shortcoming of using non native lenses on these mounts that weren't really designed with us in mind.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Denny Smith

PostSun Sep 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Precisely John, thst is why I used the Wooden Camera PL mount which can be either bolted to the cage to eliminate the rotational play, or a lens support bracket that attaches to the adapter shoe to the rails.

Metabones has a similar setup, using an Arca Swiss type foot on the adapter that is clamped on the rail support.

Hotrod Cameras also has a PL/MFT adapter with a adjustable rail support bracket that is very nice, and lighter than the Metabones setup. This is the PL adapter I plan on using with the new Pocket 4K.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jonesy Jones

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 3:10 am

Hey guys, any thoughts on this adapter? It claims "positive locking". I took this to mean it probably reduces play. I am planning, at the moment, to use Canon L lens with the P4K and am thinking of picking up this adaptor. Perhaps this mitigates the play issue a bit.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... micro.html

Craig Marshall

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 4:01 am

When adapting big, heavy telephoto lenses to small cameras, you're going to need a lot of bracing. This custom Zeiss/Metabones/Sony setup which I rigged for a specific commission worked exceptionally well as the light weight S35 E-Mount camera simply bayoneted onto the lens, not the other way around.

Blackheath_crop.jpg
Blackheath_crop.jpg (103.95 KiB) Viewed 7209 times
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Uli Plank

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Jonesy Jones wrote:Hey guys, any thoughts on this adapter? It claims "positive locking". I took this to mean it probably reduces play. I am planning, at the moment, to use Canon L lens with the P4K and am thinking of picking up this adaptor. Perhaps this mitigates the play issue a bit.

Looks promising, but might need some fiddling:
"…but, wow, they are not easy to mount. First time took me about 15 minutes to change lenses because the alignment is so difficult, seriously I'm getting (much) faster but I still wish it was a bit quicker to find that sweet spot. Once they're locked though, they are definitely locked." (from the reviews in that link)
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Christopher Dobey

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Thank you for all the responses!

How about the CN-E type Canon Cinema lenses? any experience with them being any tighter on the EF mount or is it the same play as the still lenses?

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Most the the new CN-E lenses use the Canon locking mount, some of the EF mount play is reduced or eliminated. You still will have play between the MFT mount sand the adapter, so you should get the Metabones rail clamp that attaches to the adapter’s foot and 15mm rails attached to the camera. I do this with my Metabones Nikon/MFT Mount.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Christopher Dobey

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 4:19 am

Today I rented the RED Raven and at last an EF Mount with a tightening ring! zero lens mount play :D
I'm surprised that the URSA's don't have this feature as it completely eliminates Lens to mount movement during a fast focus pull. Changing focus direction even slowly with higher friction lenses creates a slight visible judder and more over the feel of said movement is disconcerting.

Perhaps a 3rd party will create a tensioning EF lens mount for the URSA Mini Pro!

Krishna Pada

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 4:30 am

Christopher Dobey wrote:Today I rented the RED Raven and at last an EF Mount with a tightening ring! zero lens mount play :D
I'm surprised that the URSA's don't have this feature as it completely eliminates Lens to mount movement during a fast focus pull. Changing focus direction even slowly with higher friction lenses creates a slight visible judder and more over the feel of said movement is disconcerting.

Perhaps a 3rd party will create a tensioning EF lens mount for the URSA Mini Pro!

+1

Red EF mount has a locking system which keeps the EF lenses firmly in place. Canon has introduced similar thing in C300-II and C200.

Ursa EF mount should have this provision too.
FILMWALLAH.
DR Studio. Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64 GB Ram, T7 for Resolve Cache
UMP G2, BMD Pocket 6K, Canon R5 C
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135.

Christopher Dobey

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 5:33 am

I didn't know the C300 Mk II and C200 had the locking EF system as well, thank you for the confirmation Krishna! That makes the C200 that much more intriguing considering it too records internal 4K RAW at a vary reasonable price, though I'm curious why it didn't make the Netflix approved list (lack of dynamic range?)

rick.lang

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 7:00 am

Jonesy Jones wrote:Hey guys, any thoughts on this adapter? It claims "positive locking". I took this to mean it probably reduces play. I am planning, at the moment, to use Canon L lens with the P4K and am thinking of picking up this adaptor. Perhaps this mitigates the play issue a bit.

It’s fine to describe that as a locking EF mount. Positive locking means PL and Metabones must be contravening something to use that term for EF.

By the way, I read the first comment about the 5th generation EF-MFT SpeedBooster about the device not focusing even with the back focus adjoin the SpeedBooster. I don’t think the person identified the camera in question and implied the SpeedBooster was at fault which could be true. But the reason for the inability to focus to infinity may be mismatched assumptions about the FFD. It could be the camera FFD is too shallow or the SpeedBooster or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Krishna Pada

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Christopher Dobey wrote:I didn't know the C300 Mk II and C200 had the locking EF system as well, thank you for the confirmation Krishna! That makes the C200 that much more intriguing considering it too records internal 4K RAW at a vary reasonable price, though I'm curious why it didn't make the Netflix approved list (lack of dynamic range?)

I think it's because of the low bitrate in mp4 recording that has held back C200 from the Netflix list. Netflix is very rigid about two things -- 1. At least 4K shooting (Alexa Mini and Alexa SXT lose out there). 2. Minimum bitrate in recording as laid down in their specifications.

It's interesting that Panasonic EVA1 is included in the list, even without Raw recording (as of now) as it satisfies the high bitrate recording specified by Netflix. That makes it the only camera in this price range which records Netflix quality pictures on SD cards. EVA1 is EF mount, but sadly like BMD camera it's not a lockable mount.
FILMWALLAH.

Tommaso Alvisi

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Krishna Pada wrote:Canon has introduced similar thing in C300-II and C200.

Totally agree, are you sure it's for the C200 too and not only the C300 MKII?

Christopher Dobey

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Looking at the respective pages, it appears both visually and in writing that the C700 is the only current Canon Cinema Camera with 'Cinema Locking EF Mount'.

Krishna Pada

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 3:49 am

Tommaso Alvisi wrote:
Krishna Pada wrote:Canon has introduced similar thing in C300-II and C200.

Totally agree, are you sure it's for the C200 too and not only the C300 MKII?

Yes I am sorry. The lock mount is present in C700 and in C300 Mark II (in this camera, the original mount can be changed to a lock mount for a fee).

In C200, Canon has announced a PL mount upgrade (for a fee) and the EF lock mount is likely to follow.
FILMWALLAH.

Christopher Dobey

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Confirmed with Borrowlenses.com that the C200EF does not have Cinema Locking EF-Mount. Darn.

Krishna did you read anywhere that the C200 is getting the locking EF mount or are you guessing because the C300 Mk II got the upgrade?

Denny Smith

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 2:07 am

Chris, do yourself a favor, and get a camera with a PL mount, like the Ursa Mini 4.6 PL or an Ursa Mini Pro, and order the PL. lu t for it. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Christopher Dobey

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 2:30 am

Denny Smith wrote:Chris, do yourself a favor, and get a camera with a PL mount, like the Ursa Mini 4.6 PL or an Ursa Mini Pro, and order the PL. lu t for it. ;)
Cheers

I already brought up buying the 4.6K PL version earlier in the thread thank you Denny.

After getting used to the positive locking EF mount of the Raven I really find it a shame the URSA's do not have the feature. The flexibility of using EF glass with the secure feel of a PL mount is a huge benefit, especially when there's a still photographer on set that has a slew of Canon glass that you could be using as well.

Denny Smith

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 3:21 am

I have often wounded the same thing Chris. Sorry, I missed yiu saying you had bought a UM PL, how do you like it? I have a Red 18-50 PL zoom and the Duclos Tokina 11-16 PL Cine Zoom, in addition an Angenieux PL zoom, and a Elite 9.5 PL cine lens. All are great. I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing like a good Cine PL lens for serious work.

I went through all the adapters and Speed Booster bits for the original Picmet and my AF100. Nine were as satisfactory as using real PL glass. O locked the PL adapters to either the rail or my Pixket cage to rid me of the MFT mount play. I had a set of Veydra Mini Primes, but sold them, and plan on replacing them with PL Primes, perhaps the SLR Magic APOs.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Krishna Pada

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 5:27 am

Denny, agreed that PL mount makes one feel more professional.
But the counter point is, you have far more options with EF glasses. If EF mount in camera is made into a lock mount (the way it is done in Red cameras and in Canon C700 and C300-II) I see no reason why EF lenses can't be used in professional circumstances.
The point is, EF is is fast becoming a popular mount in professional work, as much as PL. Look at Arri, who created the PL mount for their cameras. Even Arri doesn't think that PL is sacrosanct. Alexa mini and Amira can be bought with EF mounts. And the mounts have locks. Here is the Adorama link to the EF mount for Arri cameras.
https://www.abelcine.com/buy/lenses-acc ... lens-mount

I use a Red Scarlet-W. I have two mounts -- the lockable EF and the PL mount. All my lenses are EF mount. I have two sets of glasses -- Zeiss Cp.3 15, 25, 35, 50 and 85 and Zeiss Contax Cine modded 25, 35, 50, 85 and 135. I use the glasses depending on the look that I want to attain. Another lens I have and use very often is Tokina 11-16 cine.

The only time I use the PL mount on my camera is when I need to attach a huge Zoom lens on my camera like Alura or Optimo, which I hire.

I am planning to do away with that too in future if I can afford to buy the Zeiss 70-200 and Zeiss 28-80. These lenses are available in EF mounts (or with PL).

All the major lens manufacturers these days give you the option of buying their cine lenses with EF or PL option. They include Zeiss, Cooke, Angeniux, Celeris, Sigma and Schneider. So, obviously EF is fast becoming an option for professionals. People who love to shoot with vintage lenses prefer EF as Leica-Rs and Zeiss Contax glasses can be easily modded to EF.

So EF has become the choice for many. The problem remains when the mount on the camera cannot be locked. That has been solved by Red, Arri and Canon in a few models.

We would be waiting for BMD or third party manufacturers to do the same for Ursa Mini Pro cameras.
FILMWALLAH.

Denny Smith

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Yes, EF has a larger lens base overall, but not a larger Cine lens base. I agree, it is too bad that all cine type csmeras like BM and Oanny EVA1 are not suing the locking Mount option. Canon has done an excellent marketing job promoting its lenses. And, Canon did make some excellent video lenses back in the S16 day’s, and for Broadcast csmeras with the B4 Mount. I loved the Canon FD Mount Pro lens lineup, and used them back then on film cameras. But the current new Canon EF lenses seem to have issues, and the EF mount has more play than the old FD Mount or Nikon F mount.

However, newer and less expensive PL lenses are being added to the lens availability pool every year, so the race is on! :roll:
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Christopher Dobey

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 3:16 am

on the topic of lens mounts...

There's no reason for these digital cinema cameras with no mechanical shutter to still use a focal flange depth of 44mm EF / 52mm PL. The market should go the way of the new Z mount with a much shorter 16mm depth, more compact, less space for debris, easier to get to the sensor for cleaning and faster lenses.

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 4:43 am

Good point Chris, I agree. The PL mount FFD is the result of the rear part of the early PL lenses used that space, so the rear lens element was much closer to the film camera shutter/film plane, and sensor on newer digital cameras.
Cheers.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Uli Plank

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 5:04 am

It was not. There was a rotating shutter with a mirror which needed the space.
There are very few mounts which have a longer distance between rear lens and film plane/sensor.

It was a clever move by BM to use MFT for the most recent camera, where you can adapt about any lens from the last 100 years. Unfortunately, they can never go FF with that one.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Christopher Dobey

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 5:01 pm

On another note,

Got myself a used URSA Mini 4.6K PL (not a fan of the smaller screen and button array of the Pro version) + have been on the pre-order list for the Nikon Z6 w/50mm f/1.8 and BMPCC4K. It's going to be an early Christmas, though based on my previous Blackmagic pre-orders I'll be expecting the pocket camera to arrive just in time for Christmas 2019 :lol:

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 5:54 pm

Uli, thanks for the correction, changed my post. But, did the rotating shutter did not use the entire space?
My S16 film camera PL Zoom (Angenieux) used about 1/2 of that space, from the mount ears, for the back of the lens pupil.

Newer PL zooms coming out now, have very little rear lens protruding into the longer FFD space, so a new short FFD PL mount could be developed for digital cameras, with a PL/PL adapter for the older long FFD lenses :?: This would be better than MFT and still allow older, long FFD lenses to be adapted.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Krishna Pada

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 4:44 am

Denny Smith wrote: Newer PL zooms coming out noow, have very little rear lens protruding into the longer FFD space, so a new short FFD PL mount could be developed for digital cameras, with a PL/PL adapter for the older long FFD lenses :?: This would be better than MFT and still allow older, long FFD lenses to be adapted.
Cheers

Arri has already done this with their new LPL mount (announced along with Alexa LF camera).
FILMWALLAH.

Uli Plank

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 7:28 am

Not all of the cameras had the conical shutter with a mirror for the viewfinder.
Some used a ‘Guillotine’ type shutter and left a lot of space.

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 8:27 pm

Thanks Uli for the clarification.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

jonstatt

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 11:11 pm

I noticed the play in the EF mount the minute I mounted the Canon 18-80 CN-E lens on my Ursa Mini Pro G2. When using the follow focus , a change in direction gives a visible jolt. I had to use a rail mounted lens support to prevent this. The play is very slight but due to the length of the lens , it has a lever effect. It should be simple enough for BM to issue a revised locking mount.

I have also pondered the strength of the mount as when using the camera handheld there are times when the mount is more stressed. Which will give in first, the mount or the lens coupling? Fortunately the lens mount is easy to replace.

Christopher Dobey

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 2:24 pm

High hopes for a BMD or at least 3rd party locking EF mount that will be cheaper than Canon's $2200 CM-V1 solution for the C500 Mk II.

I'm also bummed out that the RED Komodo doesn't appear to have a locking mechanism on the RF mount (or RF/EF adapter shipping with it).

Return to Cinematography