URSA 1.9.9 4K 3:1 Raw

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Paul R. Williams

URSA 1.9.9 4K 3:1 Raw

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 2:49 pm

This format brings a great improvement in media usage and recording times. Does anyone know a way to use the resulting recordings outside of the camera? Adobe has no idea what to do with this and my DaVinci Resolve (11.1.1) won't display the images either :|
Paul R. Williams
    BMPC4K, URSA EF 4K, URSA Mini Pro 4.6K (EF/PL), BMPCC 6K Pro
    SanDisk SSDs & Lexar CFast & Samsung T5 & T7
    SmallRig rigging elements
    iMacPro (2017) 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W/32 GB/Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

Kholi Hicks

Re: URSA 1.9.9 4K 3:1 Raw

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 7:56 pm

You have to switch your Debayer to quarter quality likely if your specs are right in your signature.

Your iMac probably can't handle the full 4K Debayer, but at quarter you should be able to look at it.

Make sure you've updated to the latest R11.
Kholi Hicks

Will Tejeda

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 10:22 pm

Can you share some footage ?

Would love to see how the 3:1 holds up
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Shane McGee

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 10:30 pm

Will Tejeda wrote:Can you share some footage ?

Would love to see how the 3:1 holds up

The way Grant Petty made it sound in that video from last year made it sound like its virtually identical looking...

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 12:39 am

Resolve 11.1.1 should read the files okay. Please share a DNG if you can.

Shane McGee wrote:The way Grant Petty made it sound in that video from last year made it sound like its virtually identical looking...

Did you mean video from last week?
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Shane McGee

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 1:36 am

CaptainHook wrote:Resolve 11.1.1 should read the files okay. Please share a DNG if you can.

Shane McGee wrote:The way Grant Petty made it sound in that video from last year made it sound like its virtually identical looking...

No, its a video thats been posted around recently...he talks about compressed RAW...seems to imply its not a huge sacrifice. I dono if what he's talking about in this video is exactly whats been put in the URSA but it sounds like it. That particular comment might of been more aimed at the lossless compressed RAW, whereas the 3:1 is slightly lossy...I might be getting confused.

< towards the end of this video i think he mentions it along the lines of "most people can't tell the difference" or something.

Csaba Nagy

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 5:19 am

Shane McGee wrote:
CaptainHook wrote:Resolve 11.1.1 should read the files okay. Please share a DNG if you can.

No, its a video thats been posted around recently...he talks about compressed RAW...seems to imply its not a huge sacrifice. I dono if what he's talking about in this video is exactly whats been put in the URSA but it sounds like it. That particular comment might of been more aimed at the lossless compressed RAW, whereas the 3:1 is slightly lossy...I might be getting confused.

< towards the end of this video i think he mentions it along the lines of "most people can't tell the difference" or something.

That video was from NAB 2013, URSA had yet to be announced.

He was talking about the pocket and 4k, which at the time was supposed to get a lossy compression. ( they both have lossless compressed RAW as we all know now. )

The new 3:1 codec with URSA is visually lossless a.k.a lossy. ( not lossless )
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

rick.lang

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 5:13 pm

I think Shane is correct though about the very brief reference at NAB 2013 to 3:1 raw with lossy compression which at the time BMD said they had it, but decided not to use it as they went with mathematically compressed raw that is indistinguishable from uncompressed raw (since the expanded files are identical). It's interesting to they had considered their own 3:1 loss compressed raw at the time and have now released that for URSA. He's correct that most people in most situations would not be able to distinguish the 3:1 compressed raw from uncompressed raw when looking at the motion images it produces. Sure isolating a single frame, putting it under scopes you might find some differences, but in practice, it's a very welcome option to provide some additional record time on expensive media while still using 12-bit raw.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography